• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Well I mean how hard are you talking. Tons of games that would have been possible on Wii U skipped it even pre-launch. Especially if we're talking Japanese games.

The Wii U was a pain in the ass to develop for. The documentation was bad, it wasn't compatible with most modern engines. We can't be 100% sure it won't be the same with the Switch but it's starting way better on that side.

Oregano

The Wii U was a pain in the ass to develop for. The documentation was bad, it wasn't compatible with most modern engines. We can't be 100% sure it won't be the same with the Switch but it's starting way better on that side.

Oh I think there's obviously been an earnest effort from Nintendo unlike the past and there will be a few surprises but I don't expect third parties to pull a 180 on any kind of large scale.

If Nintendo can secure PS4 DQXI for the Switch, I can very much see it's success guaranteed for Japan at least.

Nah. DQXI in any form is less important than Nintendo's own games. The fact that it's multiplatform means it's of little importance.

NSESN

Pokemon is much more important imo, even if it sells less than XY or SuMo, it will push hardware sales above WiiU

Could Nintendo release a way more powerful console in 2 years that runs Switch games like PS4 Pro? That would be great.

I think we are going to have at least a version that can play games undocked like the docked versions.Then, maybe, the new docked version will be next to XB1.
But this is just wishfull dream

Debirudog

Oh I think there's obviously been an earnest effort from Nintendo unlike the past and there will be a few surprises but I don't expect third parties to pull a 180 on any kind of large scale.

Nah. DQXI in any form is less important than Nintendo's own games. The fact that it's multiplatform means it's of little importance.
...Seriously?
I'm pretty sure it's a household name in Japan that has a popularity exceeding Final Fantasy's. Japan prefers portability.

It was made for XB1 first and foremost and then ported to 360 and PC by another (very accomplished) company.

Any current gen only third party game could run on PS360 imho with compromises, talent and time and they'd be the exact same game at their core. There's tons of current gen only games running on ancient PC's on Youtube and those are terribly un-optimised ports done by publishers outsourced development teams etc. Switch having 3GB's of RAM for games closes the gap between it and PS4/XB1 even further than the last gen consoles.

People should wait and see Switch running more than WiiU ports before saying PS4/XB1 multiplatform games are impossible lol. Nintendo don't use standard chips, it's not a downclocked Shield, it will be highly customised and surprise a lot of people with that it can do imo.

I'm not saying Switch will get every third party game or even half of them but if it misses out on certain games then I don't believe it will be because of it's specs or development tools.
Well yeah we gotta see it first.

That has yet to be revealed and normally not a good sign.

Oregano

...Seriously?
I'm pretty sure it's a household name in Japan that has a popularity exceeding Final Fantasy's. Japan prefers portability.

It is but Nintendo has several IPs that are as big or bigger and they already have DQXI on the 3DS. Having a prettier version on Switch might be nice but it's not going to have a big effect on how the device does.

Oregano

Someone on another forum claimed their mate had a go on a switch and wasn't impressed. Thats bollocks right?

Is this his mate?

eb2af3b2-ae36-4dd1-b4d1-7f022f99ab53.jpg

LordRaptor

Japanese developers just spent the last six years largely ignoring the market leader(for dedicated devices). That's probably going to continue. Outside of Japan the proposition is even worse.

Japanese developers are ahead of the curve in realising their mistake in doing so, and the reaping of those consequences is still happening, and if anything is accelerating, not slowing.
I know people like to pretend that Japan is its own special snowflake and mobile has no impact on REAL GAMES for REAL GAMERS, but we can already see the complete evaopration of single platform exclusives that aren't wholly funded by a platform owner. Third parties want viable dedicated platforms more than ever, because the uncomfortable future looming isn't one that can sustain the types of games they want to make.

e:
Because that's the choice that is going to have to be made; what's less offensive to your sensibilities? Slightly underpowered Kiddy-box for babbies with gimmicky controls made by mean old nintendo that everyone hates, or a hugely underpowered box with no controller at all, where nobody cares about your voice acting talent or licenced music because they're not playing with earbuds in, noone cares about your oscar-worthy plot because theyre playing for 5 minute stretches, and nobody cares about your game hours value propositions, because they're not paying more than a few bucks upfront.

Rodin

Even if FFXV is possible I don't think Square Enix would port it to Switch because it runs counter to the brand they've established for mainline Final Fantasy. FFXV is meant to be cutting edge.

In fact I think that will be the barrier in most cases. Publishers/Developers won't want to down-port their games or they'll just refuse to look into it. To bring up a prior example Infinity Ward said Modern Warfare just wasn't possible on the Wii which was obviously proven wrong two years later when Treyarch ported it.

There would be nothing more cutting edge than a title with the scale of FFXV running on a portable, even if it needs to be downgraded to run on less powerful hardware. The only reason it won't happen is because porting the engine would probably be a bit too complicated and too much work, otherwise i'm pretty sure SE would've liked more sales of the game, especially in Japan.

Who's that?

There would be nothing more cutting edge than a title with the scale of FFXV running on a portable, even if it needs to be downgraded to run on less powerful hardware. The only reason it won't happen is because porting the engine would probably be a bit too complicated and too much work, otherwise i'm pretty sure SE would've liked more sales of the game, especially in Japan.

Who's that?

Someone random on a different forum, I'm just making sure he is talking bollocks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102068907&postcount=3043

Oregano

Japanese developers are ahead of the curve in realising their mistake in doing so, and the reaping of those consequences is still happening, and if anything is accelerating, not slowing.
I know people like to pretend that Japan is its own special snowflake and mobile has no impact on REAL GAMES for REAL GAMERS, but we can already see the complete evaopration of single platform exclusives that aren't wholly funded by a platform owner. Third parties want viable dedicated platforms more than ever, because the uncomfortable future looming isn't one that can sustain the types of games they want to make.

e:
Because that's the choice that is going to have to be made; what's less offensive to your sensibilities? Slightly underpowered Kiddy-box for babbies with gimmicky controls made by mean old nintendo that everyone hates, or a hugely underpowered box with no controller at all, where nobody cares about your voice acting talent or licenced music because they're not playing with earbuds in, noone cares about your oscar-worthy plot because theyre playing for 5 minute stretches, and nobody cares about your game hours value propositions, because they're not paying more than a few bucks upfront.

I'm really not sure that's been the case at all. JP Publishers are all in on PS4 and any other platforms are secondary to that, some are desperately trying to drop Vita. Even then the only big example of a cross-ecosystem release is DQXI which is a brand going from the market leader to an also-ran system.

Mobius FF showed that Square Enix has no issue pushing a cinematic, voice acted FF game at the mobile market. It was even made by the core FF team.

Who's that?

I don't SE wants a mainline FF game that can be seen to run on a handheld at all. They want people to think its still the late 90s and SE is pushing out technical masterpieces.

If what you're suggesting is true then FFVIIR and KH3 are guaranteed to have Switch versions, which I find unlikely.

I don't SE wants a mainline FF game that can be seen to run on a handheld at all. They want people to think its still the late 90s and SE is pushing out technical masterpieces.

If what you're suggesting is true then FFVIIR and KH3 are guaranteed to have Switch versions, which I find unlikely.

Cloud was in Smash for a reason. I strongly believe we'll see FFVIIR on the Switch.

The handheld spin-offs for Kingdom Hearts have mostly been on Nintendo platforms, so I reckon if it can run KHIII, it'll get it.

Rodin

I don't see why not if the console sells at least decently. Corporations that want to push some "image" don't usually do that at the expense of making money.

Oregano

Cloud was in Smash for a reason. I strongly believe we'll see FFVIIR on the Switch.

The handheld spin-offs for Kingdom Hearts have mostly been on Nintendo platforms, so I reckon if it can run KHIII, it'll get it.

Snake was in Smash whilst MGS4 was PS3 exclusive, Ryu is in Smash whilst SFV is PS4 exclusive.

Smash advertising a PS exclusive is almost a running joke now.

EDIT:
I don't see why not if the console sells at least decently.

I could leave it at "Square Enix".

Snake was in Smash whilst MGS4 was PS3 exclusive, Ryu is in Smash whilst SFV is PS4 exclusive.

Funny thing is, Snake and Ryu have had a history on Nintendo systems, even as recent at the time with Twin Snakes on GC and SSF43D on 3DS.

Cloud had only been in spin-offs for Nintendo hardware, like Final Fantasy Explorers.

I dunno, I'd think it's a good sign also.

LordRaptor

Mobius FF showed that Square Enix has no issue pushing a cinematic, voice acted FF game at the mobile market. It was even made by the core FF team.

I was referring to Western Third Parties for whom the penny hasn't dropped yet, not for Eastern third Parties who have already acclimatised to 'the new normal'.

That Japanese third parties are "all in" on PS4 in no way suggests that that's because that's the only place they want to be as it does that thats the only viable choice they currently have.
3DS is difficult to work with and at the end of its life.
The Vita was D.O.A and its only a matter of time before it is no longer manufactured. Same with the WiiU. The Xbox One is less appealing than the Xbox 1.
If the Switch is a viable platform to sell software on, its pretty ludicrous to look at Japanese sales and think Japanese third parties aren't going to sell whatever they can on it because I'm an expert honour and shame yada yada yada

LordKano

Funny thing is, Snake and Ryu have had a history on Nintendo systems, even as recent at the time with Twin Snakes on GC and SSF43D on 3DS.

Cloud had only been in spin-offs for Nintendo hardware, like Final Fantasy Explorers.

I dunno, I'd think it's a good sign also.

I don't think Twin Snakes, SSF43D and FF Explorers ever mattered in why they choose Snake, Ryu and Cloud.

It's just that Smash is the biggest crossover game, so they just put the biggest characters in.

Rodin

EDIT:

I could leave it at "Square Enix".
Same square enix that is one of the biggest publishers on 3DS (still supporting it with a major game), and the first company to state their interest and support for the "NX"?

Oregano

I was referring to Western Third Parties for whom the penny hasn't dropped yet, not for Eastern third Parties who have already acclimatised to 'the new normal'.

That Japanese third parties are "all in" on PS4 in no way suggests that that's because that's the only place they want to be as it does that thats the only viable choice they currently have.
3DS is difficult to work with and at the end of its life.
The Vita was D.O.A and its only a matter of time before it is no longer manufactured. Same with the WiiU. The Xbox One is less appealing than the Xbox 1.
If the Switch is a viable platform to sell software on, its pretty ludicrous to look at Japanese sales and think Japanese third parties aren't going to sell whatever they can on it because I'm an expert honour and shame yada yada yada

Meh what's left of Western third parties is content trying to grab a place in the exclusive 10 million+ selling AAA gang. They largely won't care for Switch at all.

As to Japan we'll see soon enough but I'd willing to bet that the Playstation release that start including Switch will be few and far between.

I don't think Twin Snakes, SSF43D and FF Explorers ever mattered in why they choose Snake, Ryu and Cloud.

It's just that Smash is the biggest crossover game, so they just put the biggest characters in.

Yeah, Sakurai doesn't care.

EDIT:
Same square enix that is one of the biggest publishers on 3DS (still supporting it with a major game), and the first company to state their interest and support for the "NX"?

DQ is managed completely separately from FF & KH. But we're talking the same Square Enix that is releasing more games on Vita than 3DS, including a kid focused monster catching FF spinoff and a new entry in the Fortune Street series.

LordKano

Any indication yet of how long the live stream will be January 12th? I'm very curious about how much information they've packed in there.

If it's any help, we're allowed to play for two hours during the press event in France. Usually (that was the case with Breath of the Wild), you're not allowed to play more than 20 minutes a game during these events. That may be an indication of how many games to expect ?

Meh3D

I'm pretty excited about the Nintendo Switch and what it will be like to develop using the Nvidia tools. As someone who's developed on similar tech ( Jetson K1 CUDA dev kit ) I'm definitely curious what Nvidia has cooked up in the platform they created for Nintendo.

On the "This is last gen!" arguments and topics: I find them absolutely ridiculous. It's like the whole bit wars circular arguments all over again. People ignore that Maxwell is newer technology than GCN 1.0 inside the PS4/Xbox so the "gen" arguments don't make sense to me. (I'm ok with some discussions/predictions on how it will perform.)

If it's any help, we're allowed to play for two hours during the press event in France. Usually (that was the case with Breath of the Wild), you're not allowed to play more than 20 minutes a game during these events. That may be an indication of how many games to expect ?

Interesting, so if they stay with that type of demo scheme, we could expect around 6 different games being demoed for each person? I doubt they'll want you to stick with one game for the whole two hours, so it seems like they'll tell you to switch games after a certain period of time.

thefro

Not everything they show will be playable and I would suspect they wouldn't bring the exact same lineup to Tokyo as they do to NYC/Paris.

For reference, the 3DS Nintendo World 2011 in Tokyo had 32 games at the event but only fifteen were playable. The other games were just videos playing on the show floor.

I'm expecting a lot more than six games to be playable in Tokyo.

The system's pretty much releasing in 2 to 2 and a half months, so they have to show a ton of stuff. The launch lineup will be there and they'll have to show that the system will have plenty of games coming to it. I do expect we'll get a release list dump after the event with all the titles coming, including "Untitled Project #2 from Publisher Y".

Are you kidding? Games like DQ XI, KH III & FF VII:R being ported over to Switch? It'll be big amongst Japanese gamers & will gobble them up on Switch instead of on PS4, especially when they can play those type of games on the go. Not to mention that they're also on gamecards instead of on Blu-Ray in which optical media is outdated within gaming now.

Nintendo's own games will definitely help as well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Are you kidding? Games like DQ XI, KH III & FF VII:R being ported over to Switch? It'll be big amongst Japanese gamers & will gobble them up on Switch instead of on PS4, especially when they can play those type of games on the go. Not to mention that they're also on gamecards instead of on Blu-Ray in which optical media is outdated within gaming now.

Yep. They don't matter much in the west as those gamers will mostly opt for the PS4 versions on their big screen. I know I will--well FFVII:R, never cared about DQ or KH. But they can be huge in helping Switch sales in Japan since consoles, including the PS4, really struggle over there as that market vastly prefers portable/mobile gaming anymore.

Oregano

FF and KH are mid-tier by Nintendo franchise standards. Kirby is on par nowadays. DQ is big but Nintendo still has several bigger franchises.

I don't think anyone see optical media as outdated btw.

LordKano

Yep, some infos in there, such as :
There are definately surprises left for the Jan 12th event. There's a lot of third party stuff not touched on, some hardware details, UI system level info and other info not yet spoiled. There's a pretty beefy presentation planned and, like some of Nintendo's better directs, it's going to be very info heavy.

Yep, stuff you're not expecting. At least one unexpected new IP.

[Concerning Zelda] I really hope it's launch, and the marketting seems to regularly suggest it'll be launch, but I'm still hearing it's going to miss launch. If I were just making educated guesses on public info I'd have said launch, but I keep on hearing it'll miss launch. As a Zelda fan I am as dissapointed by that as anyone.

[Concerning battery power and processing power] I initially heard 3 hours max battery, no clue if that's full clock or "portable" clock speed. I've heard longer estimates since which would lead me to suspect 3 hours is if you play a game fully clocked but not connected to power, which is doable at the very least with dev kits.
I suspect we will see similar levels of graphical sacrifices as going from ultra to high to medium on PC. A little less of everything, but the same core experience.

I have heard about two third party exclusives, Rabbids RPG being one. I suspect 3 at least but that's no guarentee they are good exclusives :p

Initial VC library is 100% going to dissapoint folk in terms of raw volume of titles.

[Concerning Wii U ports] Everything I have heard is enhanced ports, to varying degrees. Mario KArt seems extensive. Smash seems minimal. Varying levels of addition.

[Concerning BGE2] I have heard a CGI teaser for BGE2 is in the works, less than a minute long (double sourced). No word if it'll be ready for Jan. I suspect not Jan event but equally I don't know when else a 1 min teaser being worked on now would be for. Can't place any other events they would be prepping it for.

RE: Mother 3, I've heard that rumour just like Emily. It seems to be a project that continuously comes to me from reputable sources with a strong track record, but never materialises. I am genuinely fascinated by why I keep hearing it but it never happens. It's the eternal phantom rumour.

[Concerning Monolith Soft's new project]I have heard it's something new, it's not the Xenoblade X Switch port, and it's in the same vain as Xenoblade and X in terms of combat style.

Don't expect anything from Platinum in Jan.

AdanVC

Thanks for the summary, Kano!

Damn, I would love to ask about the new 3D Mario but I don't have a Reddit account D: Hope someone does. Also, so glad there's some unnanounced stuff and surprises left for the event! It seems it's going to be a big show almost like E3 for Nintendo!

[Concerning battery power and processing power] I initially heard 3 hours max battery, no clue if that's full clock or "portable" clock speed. I've heard longer estimates since which would lead me to suspect 3 hours is if you play a game fully clocked but not connected to power, which is doable at the very least with dev kits.
I suspect we will see similar levels of graphical sacrifices as going from ultra to high to medium on PC. A little less of everything, but the same core experience.

If it was 3 hours at console-mode power, that would definitely explain the higher estimates for the real system. I have doubts that it would run like that for the retail versions.

AdanVC

Region freeeeeeee hell yes! And omfg it seems Mario Switch will really be available on day one too!

I fully expect the new mario to be shown off in the presentation, named, and playable at the hands on events that month.

I keep hearing Mario for launch, so yeah I expect it to be available day one.

and the Mario Kart 8 port will have a ton of new content!

Everything I have heard is enhanced ports, to varying degrees. Mario KArt seems extensive. Smash seems minimal. Varying levels of addition.

Hyped than ever now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom