• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
There certainly seems to be quite a disparity between what people are speculating about in regard to the spec rumors/leaks and how confident insiders and devs are about the system in regard to performance/ports.

That could very well just be a difference in perspectives and/or priorities, but nonetheless I am really looking forward to the 12th of Jan. I have a feeling that there is at least something we aren't quite getting right now.

Vena

There certainly seems to be quite a disparity between what people are speculating about in regard to the spec rumors/leaks and how confident insiders and devs are about the system in regard to performance/ports.

That could very well just be a difference in perspectives and/or priorities, but nonetheless I am really looking forward to the 12th of Jan. I have a feeling that there is at least something we aren't quite getting.

Most of the people posting their "concerns" over power have no idea what they are talking about with regards to said specs.

They know X is bigger than Y, and that is all that they use to inform their opinions. There are real technical reasons for why Luminous and FFXV likely aren't going to show up on the Switch, there are effectively no reasons why an UE4 game won't from a technical perspective.

If the system is easy to develop for and there is an audience, the power gap won't make much of a difference to publishers. No company in this industry doesn't wish there were another viable system to put their games on. They'll downgrade stuff to make it work. The Switch isn't quite that weak that ports aren't possible.

That could very well just be a difference in perspectives and/or priorities, but nonetheless I am really looking forward to the 12th of Jan. I have a feeling that there is at least something we aren't quite getting right now.

I don't think it really matters what we find it about the hardware on the 12th. I think the games and the lineup they announce will tell us everything about the hardware that we need to know. For example, if the games in the Switch trailer are the best third party games that are coming for the Switch, we're in trouble.

Personally I think we're in for a bit more than that.

Speely

Banned
I don't think it really matters what we find it about the hardware on the 12th. I think the games and the lineup they announce will tell us everything about the hardware that we need to know. For example, if the games in the Switch trailer are the best third party games that are coming for the Switch, we're in trouble.

Personally I think we're in for a bit more than that.

I hear that. I doubt we hear shit all about specs on the 12th, actually, but I am looking forward to seeing games in action that will let us know what kind of general experience we will be getting. The lineup and how the games appear to play is what interests me most. If they look ok, I don't give a shit if there is modest but smart hardware pushing them.

EDarkness

The Switch cant handle FFXV lol

I had hopes for Kingdom Hearts 3 because it will release much later,no open world and on UE4 but who knows, looks like a pretty demanding game.

I think it should be able to run that game without too much trouble. The real question is whether or not they'll go through the porting process considering the state of their internal engine. It'd be interesting to see them try.

Merry Christmas Switch GAF! Now that the holiday shopping season is over, Nintendo can put all of their focus and promotions for Switch in 2017

Merry Christmas! I also come to realization that Nintendo have probably entered the final stage of preparation for the presentation since Japanese are going to celebrate new year and Coming of Age day (the second Monday of January). They don't have much time left.

For a second I forgot that PS4 Pro(and likely Scorpio) has fp16.. So 8-12 TFLOPS in some situations possibly.Not that it would matter. Though the Switch would literally be a generation gap behind in power for sure.

EDarkness

Merry Christmas! Best wishes to you and your family.

I'm interested to see what kind of performance the NS will get out of the games coming for it in January. I have this strange feeling we're all gonna be surprised. Heh, could be wrong, but I'm going with positivity than negativity. :)

oti

Banned
Yesterday at the Christmas gathering I showed my cousin the Switch trailer. He now wants a Switch, unsurprisingly, but his parents also want to get him a Switch on launch day. They love that there are two controllers included. And cousin loves the fact that it's a tablet.

MCN

Banned
Yesterday at the Christmas gathering I showed my cousin the Switch trailer. He now wants a Switch, unsurprisingly, but his parents also want to get him a Switch on launch day. They love that there are two controllers included. And cousin loves the fact that it's a tablet.

This is the thing, young kids these days love tablets, and parents love buying them for their kids. If Nintendo market this thing correctly, and they seems to be doing well so far, this could end up being huge.

oti

Banned
This is the thing, young kids these days love tablets, and parents love buying them for their kids. If Nintendo market this thing correctly, and they seems to be doing well so far, this could end up being huge.
Sure, but they love tablets for reasons Nintendo wants no part of.

Parents don't want to spend money on games. A tablet is full of free games.

Kids want unlimited free games to download whenever they want. Traditional video game hardware can't provide that unless they want to wreck their own economy.

What Nintendo could do is to release all those Wii Party minigames as standalone Apps/Games on Switch. That way Switch would feel like a usual tablet full of smaller games. You could try something like a subscription model. "Pay $3 a month and get five new mini games each month" or something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Sure, but they love tablets for reasons Nintendo wants no part of.

Parents don't want to spend money on games. A tablet is full of free games.

Kids want unlimited free games to download whenever they want. Traditional video game hardware can't provide that unless they want to wreck their own economy.

What Nintendo could do is to release all those Wii Party minigames as standalone Apps/Games on Switch. That way Switch would feel like a usual tablet full of smaller games. You could try something like a subscription model. "Pay $3 a month and get five new mini games each month" or something.
Nintendo only has to properly sell the concept that the Switch provides an interestingly unique experience only available on this console in-order to be successful. A new way to play games that can't be found on any other platform. That quote from Steve Jobs describe what I'm driving at: “Customers don't know what they want until we've shown them.”

The Switch is poised to be marketed as a product servicing three different roles as a gaming device: it functions as a home console, a portable console and lastly a tablet. The console always has two controllers which allows for very convenient multiplayer gaming with one single console, something that tablets can't offer. All these elements makes the platform very unique since no other gaming device offers this level of versatility.

Then there's the games, which Nintendo should be able to produce at a regular pace now. The range of software on the platform will go from games commonly seen on smartphone/tablets ecosystems to AAA games from Nintendo and third parties so that most type of games, all with their different types of gameplay and business model can be hosted on the platform.

If a product is worth it in the eyes of a potential customer, they'll purchase it for a reasonable price. It's up to Nintendo to insure than the Switch is a better choice for, in this example parents, as a gaming "tablet" rather than other mobile devices out there.

oti

Banned
Nintendo only has to properly sell the concept that the Switch provides an interestingly unique experience only available on this console in-order to be successful. A new way to play games that can't be found on any other platform. That quote from Steve Jobs describe what I'm driving at: “Customers don't know what they want until we've shown them.”

The Switch is poised to be marketed as a product servicing three different roles as a gaming device: it functions as a home console, a portable console and lastly a tablet. The console always has two controllers which allows for very convenient multiplayer gaming with one single console, something that tablets can't offer. All these elements makes the platform very unique since no other gaming device offers this level of versatility.

Then there's the games, which Nintendo should be able to produce at a regular pace now. The range of software on the platform will go from games commonly seen on smartphone/tablets ecosystems to AAA games from Nintendo and third parties so that most type of games, all with their different types of gameplay and business model can be hosted on the platform.

If a product is worth it in the eyes of a potential customer, they'll purchase it for a reasonable price. It's up to Nintendo to insure than the Switch is a better choice for, in this example parents, as a gaming "tablet" rather than other mobile devices out there.
You don't have to repeat Nintendo's marketing message to me. I get all that. But here's the deal: parents don't want to pay for their kid's games. It's pretty simple.

I would also question the notion of Nintendo allowing the worst F2P tactics on Switch. That's how Clash of Clans works. Supercell won't bring that game to Switch without some amazing deal from Nintendo or some weird premium version for $40. Switch won't even have mobile internet. Like Puzzle and Dragons those F2P developers could maybe release a premium Nintendo version to get kids to know their games so they can then download the "real" game on their parents' phones.

I'm also pretty sure publishers wouldn't even like that flood of F2P on Switch, maybe the only platform they can still sell their AA or B-tier video games on.

openrob

Haha, I actually need to bring photo ID to collect the tickets, so unless you wanted to get a fake one made up you'd be out of luck anyway :p

I'm pretty hyped though, really want to see why this thing is like in the flesh!

7c243ca9dff53d10afd05cc4bb5f5507.jpg

Vic

You don't have to repeat Nintendo's marketing message to me. I get all that. But here's the deal: parents don't want to play for their kid's games. It's pretty simple.

I would also question the notion of Nintendo allowing the worst F2P tactics on Switch. That's how Clash of Clans works. Supercell won't bring that game to Switch without some amazing deal from Nintendo or some weird premium version for $40. Switch won't even have mobile internet. Like Puzzle and Dragons those F2P developers could maybe release a premium Nintendo version to get kids to know their games so they can then download the "real" game on their parents' phones.

I'm also pretty sure publishers wouldn't even like that flood of F2P on Switch, maybe the only platform they can still sell their AA or B-tier video games on.
With the Switch having a multitouch screen, already being supported by Unity and being OpenGL ES compliant should encourage more mobile games to be repackaged as downloadable games, packaged games or F2P if Nintendo allows some exceptions on the console, just like you said. Regardless if it's the real version or not, most platform holders would want some of these popular mobile games only to attract people to their platforms. Nintendo can't and shouldn't try to directly compete with iOS and Android, but they still can try to ride the wave of the mobile gaming phenomenon.

BTW, my bad if you felt that I was regurgitating Nintendo's "vision" or whatever about the Switch. I've been out of the console gaming loop for a while (little of PC gaming, that's it) and I'm trying to catch up to what happened in the industry these past 3 years or so, especially with Nintendo.

oti

Banned
With the Switch having a multitouch screen, already being supported by Unity and being OpenGL ES compliant should encourage more mobile games to be repackaged as downloadable games, packaged games or F2P if Nintendo allows some exceptions on the console, just like you said. Regardless if it's the real version or not, most platform holders would want some of these popular mobile games only to attract people to their platforms. Nintendo can't and shouldn't try to directly compete with iOS and Android, but they still can try to ride the wave of the mobile gaming phenomenon.

BTW, my bad if you felt that I was regurgitating Nintendo's "vision" or whatever about the Switch. I've been out of the console gaming loop for a while (little of PC gaming, that's it) and I'm trying to catch up to what happened in the industry these past 3 years or so, especially with Nintendo.

Ok, let's get real basic for a moment here.

Do we believe Nintendo will allow developers to release games that work un-docked but do not in docked mode?

I can't see that happening. Unless they introduce a "Tablet only" label they'd undermine the Switch USP.

As much sense as Clash of Clans makes on the switch tablet, how would it work on the TV?

Vic

Ok, let's get real basic for a moment here.

Do we believe Nintendo will allow developers to release games that work un-docked but do not in docked mode?

I can't see that happening. Unless they introduce a "Tablet only" label they'd undermine the Switch USP.

As much sense as Clash of Clans makes on the switch tablet, how would it work on the TV?
I very much doubt it. Every game will probably need to be controlled by a gamepad. A lot of mobile games are pretty much emulating real buttons, not all though.

Astral Dog

FF XV can't handle the Switch "lol".

No really, if something couldn't handle FF XV, it's SquareEnix.

A definitive statement followed by but who knows.

I like your humour.
No really, SE barely got Luminous to run on the PS4 (and Xvox with significantly downgraded iq).its just not a Switch friendly game.

Now, we will see how scalable SWITCH really is if KH3 is announced for it, cant wait! 😁

No really, SE barely got Luminous to run on the PS4 (and Xvox with significantly downgraded iq).its just not a Switch friendly game.

Now, we will see how scalable SWITCH really is if KH3 is announced for it, cant wait! 😁

Who said Luminous was barely able to run?

MacTag

Banned
FFXV won't happen because it runs on a garbage inhouse engine. They couldn't even lock 1080p on PS4 and dynamic res on One tops out at 900p. Maybe if SE ported the game to UE4 or something they could do a Switch conversion (and also likely solve the frame pacing issues and lock resolution on PS4/XB1) but as is the game's a mess and probably not worth bothering with at this point.

DQXI, KH3 and FFVIIR though are what Nintendo and SE should both be prioritizing.

I'd personally like to see Silicon Studio's mobile FFIX remaster brought over though. Maybe also Dotemu's FFVII and FFVIII remasters although I have less faith in that porthouse doing a solid job.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Merry Christmas to everybody here :D

And yes, I gladily accept Switchmas as unofficial name for Janaury 12th/13th XD

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think it's a bit early for the "Lol third party game X wouldn't run on the Switch" posts tbh. Things like Rise of the Tomb Raider show that anything is possible if the publishers feel there is money to be made on the target hardware. Will FFXV have to be toned down to run on the rumoured specs ? of course but is it impossible ? absolutely not.

I think there will be a fair few "current gen only" third party games in development for Switch even if they run at 540p on the go and 720p docked.

On the subject of the event, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Mario and hoping for a Luigi's Mansion sequel on top of some Virtual Console stuff. Getting close now guys !

I think it's a bit early for the "Lol third party game X wouldn't run on the Switch" posts tbh. Things like Rise of the Tomb Raider show that anything is possible if the publishers feel there is money to be made on the target hardware. Will FFXV have to be toned down to run on the rumoured specs ? of course but is it impossible ? absolutely not.

This is the gist of Matt's posts as I understand them, iirc he namechecked gtav as an example as that also runs on last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom