• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they also port Street Fighter IV to the 3DS? I've been repeating this a lot lately, but I really don't think that the overall hardware for the Switch will prevent ports. If the userbase is there and Nintendo makes things accessible enough for developers, they'll find a way to make a game work.

I do not expect 1 to 1 ports of third party games for Switch, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

Yeah I don't know why everyone is ignoring all of the reports about easy porting. Matt, OsirisBlack, Nvidia themselves (obviously taken with a grain of salt there)... GPU flops aren't really the end all be all of hardware power. The much newer architecture will greatly help with ports, and games are designed to be very scaleable today.

I think the CPU clock speed is much more worrisome really.

Eh, I don't define the term "hardcore gamer" by what games said gamer plays, more to the extent of which they play them. One guy could own only a Wii and Donkey Kong Country, yet if the dude is doing speedruns and spending most of the day mastering the system, he's "hardcore" in my eyes. Just owning Sony's AAA titles like the Last of Us doesn't make you hardcore. Heck, most "casual" fans will purchase the AAA titles as they garner the most attention.
100% with you. In fact i consider myself a bit of a casual because I'm not particularly good at games and I'm mostly buying quite mainstream games most of the time.

Random question that I didn't really know where else to post. Goodbye BoxBoy! was just announced for Japan and even has a physical release featuring all three games and the Amiibo. What do we think the odds are of that three-game package coming to Switch? Any educated guesses? It certainly shouldn't be hard for them to port.

Please Nintendo!

I am sure this has been asked before but what chances that Nintendo are implementing a Achievement/Trophies system for the Switch?

With the rumour of a proper account system being implemented it would seem like more than ever they are setup to be able to do it from an infrastructure point of view.

Sadist

If Nintendo has such a system in place, expect a Nintendo twist. Like earn points so you can spend it on My Nintendo rewards...

3DS software probably wouldn't need a full emulator to run. The Switch should be capable of running 3DS software more or less natively, with the only potential for complications coming from remapping some graphics calls.
I think 3DS games would require some resolution bumps to be presentable. They look bad on the small 3DS screen, can't imagine on a 6.2'' screen or a 40'' TV
MvCI is PS4/XB1/PC. I was hoping that it could be announced next month for the Switch, but then Eurogamer leaked the clock speeds.
They got SFIV to run on 3DS at 60fps (in 2D, at least) and MVC3 on Vita

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MvCI is PS4/XB1/PC. I was hoping that it could be announced next month for the Switch, but then Eurogamer leaked the clock speeds.

Dude, the gap between Switch/Xbone is smaller than the gap between 360 and the 3DS. The 3DS got SFIV

In this video Zelda: BotW looks gorgious are Nintendo using cheap capture software/hardware or something? All their streams looked washed out in colours but in this video it looks amazing.

Day one for me also if either Mario/Zelda launches that day.
Yeah, they also had poorly calibrated TVs which made the game look worse.
I hadn't planned on getting Zelda, but this old video totally convinced me. Now I am 100% I'll get that Switch for launch.
Yeah, Zelda looks beautiful in motion especially if they can improve the IQ and make the game run at a locked 30fps.
A ton of moving parts and nice lighting.
Too bad people get so upset in the screenshot threads

If Nintendo has such a system in place, expect a Nintendo twist. Like earn points so you can spend it on My Nintendo rewards...

The best scenario is achievements which give you gold My Nintendo coins which are used for discounts on other game purchases. Earning discounts by being great at games is the dream...

I'm pretty sure they said something similar in one of their My Nintendo presentations.

The MyNintendo system is pretty cool, but it oddly seems built for mobile games?
Hopefully not, would be pretty sweet if they made a "Play Turf War for 10 coins (daily)" thing

The MyNintendo system is pretty cool, but it oddly seems built for mobile games?
Hopefully not, would be pretty sweet if they made a "Play Turf War for 10 coins (daily)" thing

I think it's more that it ties in too closely with the Nintendo Account to really be usable or prevalent on the Wii U/3DS. It should be featured a lot more heavily on Switch.

I can imagine things like, buy Super Mario Run get 10 Mario coins for use in Super Mario Switch. Or something like that. It's going to tie into their mobile > console conversion strategy.

The best scenario is achievements which give you gold My Nintendo coins which are used for discounts on other game purchases. Earning discounts by being great at games is the dream...

I'm pretty sure they said something similar in one of their My Nintendo presentations.

Iwata talked about this type of approach to in-game rewards years ago. I won't be surprised at all to see something like what you describe being implemented.

Debirudog

Yeah, they also had poorly calibrated TVs which made the game look worse.

Yeah, Zelda looks beautiful in motion especially if they can improve the IQ and make the game run at a locked 30fps.
A ton of moving parts and nice lighting.
Too bad people get so upset in the screenshot threads

People were crying foul 24/7 during the first screens for WWHD and with Pikmin 3 on the ground textures. When people play them, I notice the criticisms kinda die out.

People were crying foul 24/7 during the first screens for WWHD and with Pikmin 3 on the ground textures. When people play them, I notice the criticisms kinda die out.

The same thing happened every time rockstar released new screens for GTA V during the relase period of the ps3 / 360 versions. These complaints are just concerns that won't matter to the final game at all.

Probably. Especially if they're playing it on the go which should still be fairly impressive despite people being upset about the tech.
The game does a lot and even Digital Foundary gave it props. It didn't win most anticipated at the Game Awards and several e3 awards because it looked amazing.

openrob

Got an email through this morning to say I won tickets to go to the preview event in London on the 14th, yay!

So, Gaf, what should I be on the lookout for? If you guys have hardware/software questions let me know and I'll try my very best to find out for you :)

Feel free to give me the ticket. You know you want to...

Have fun!

LordKano

Why? Textures are one of the most important aspects in gaming graphics, along with lighting and AA. What's so silly about complaining about poor texture work?

Texture is something but honestly I find the complaints about the ground textures a bit silly.
Who looks constantly at the ground in a game like Zelda ?

EVH

Texture is something but honestly I find the complaints about the ground textures a bit silly.

I quite don't. And also happens with poly count on most of buildings or the trees being flat and scarce in what is supossed to be a forest. Zelda doesn't look as good as some people say, but I'm sure the game will be fun.

Sometimes I look at the textures and remember N64 crappy filtering.

I expect in-game integration for My Nintendo rewards and points redemption cards for physical purchases to be a thing for the Switch.

I'd be far more inclined to go for achievements if I could work towards a discounted game, or even a little digital tchotchke as a result.

I expect in-game integration for My Nintendo rewards and points redemption cards for physical purchases to be a thing for the Switch.

I'd be far more inclined to go for achievements if I could work towards a discounted game, or even a little digital tchotchke as a result.

Wait, hold on... That's how you spell that word? I would always spell it chatchkie...

Anyway yeah, I'm pretty sure they said this will be used with their future platforms in that way when detailing My Nintendo in the first place. That would be miles ahead of the trophy systems on the other consoles and even steam.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To me Zelda looks gorgeous
We had a DF video showing so many fine details going on.. with great size and stunning art direction

Oregano

So with Skylanders cancelled what game(s) are we expecting from Activision on Switch?

It's got to be either COD or Destiny right?

LordKano

So with Skylanders cancelled what game(s) are we expecting from Activision on Switch?

It's got to be either COD or Destiny right?

CoD is a lock. I can't even recall a Nintendo console without a CoD.
Crash would be the next logical step. I don't think it's even a timed exclusive, nothing has ever been stated concerning it.

No one does but the thing is, that people alwqya complain about textures. Remember the infamous FFXV thread about the downgrade? Where they complained about the textures of the fucking shoes of the main characters?
Every game has to deal with such complains...

Oregano

CoD is a lock. I can't even recall a Nintendo console without a CoD.
Crash would be the next logical step. I don't think it's even a timed exclusive, nothing has ever been stated concerning it.

The Wii and Wii U versions were always done by a small team within Treyarch though who are now folded back into the main team. There might not be a team to produce those any more, especially for the Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer games.

Alebrije

So after the news about the clock speed and chips on a scale of 0-10 being 0 the WiiU and 10 the Xbone were is located Switch regardling power hardware?

RootCause

Would love to get a Fallout 3, and NV port. Maybe F4 if it's possible. Oh, and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.

Do you guys think Nintendo is working on a new streetpass for the Switch?

Have we heard anything regarding region lock?

SirShandy

So after the news about the clock speed and chips on a scale of 0-10 being 0 the WiiU and 10 the Xbone were is located Switch regardling power hardware?

Given that it is a custom chip, we need more than clock speed details for an accurate estimate of its power. But if Xbox One is 10, I see the Switch ending up in the 4-5 range docked and the 2-3 range undocked.

LordKano

The Wii and Wii U versions were always done by a small team within Treyarch though who are now folded back into the main team. There might not be a team to produce those any more, especially for the Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer games.

Isn't there Raven (or something like that), who did Modern Warfare Remastered ?

Probably something like this:

CPU: 5
GPU raw power: 1-2 (HH) / 3-4 (Console)
GPU Features: 10+
RAM for games: 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom