• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for Switch Roster Prediction Contest - Deadline: one hour - Prize

Nemecyst

Newcomers:

Inkling (Splatoon)
Wolf (Star Fox)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Rayman (Rayman)
Heropon (Xenoblade)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Jack Frost (SMT/Persona)

67 total characters

New Stages

Inkopolis (Splatoon)
Dynamic Stage (Rhythm Heaven)
Tartarus (Persona 3)
Noctilum (Xenoblade X)
Fiesta de los Muertos (Rayman)

RedFyn

Veterans:
Ice climbers
Wolf
tripping

Newcomers:
Inklings
Octoling

Wildcard:
Steve

So +5

I'll probably add a few once I take some time to think on it.

Alright, here's mine.

Characters

Given the amount new content seems to be "minimal," I'm aiming that they'll only be around 2-4 new characters with at most 2 returning and 2 newcomers. I think we'll get 3 fighters for the Switch. In addition to everyone from Smash Wii U/3DS (DLC Included) we'll get:

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Decidueye

So ICIes and Wolf return to Smash with Decidueye being the newcomer given Pokemon S&M's timing.

Stages

Most of the new stages we'll likely get are from the 3ds version due to being easier to import and I'm guessing we'll get likely get 6-8 overall. Ultimately I think we'll get, along with all the Wii U stages (DLC inculded)

Corneria with the return of Wolf
A new ICies stage
Pokemon Stadium with the return of Decidueye

Edit: Because DLC is being accounted for in this I'm gonna add some more to my list. This assumes they later become DLC

Inklings
Chorus Kids
Elma
Shantae
Rayman

And that should be it. Let's see how far off I am when everything is said and done.

SuperSah

Banned
Sign me up.

I predict the entire roster with DLC added as standard.

Return of Wolf. Ice Climbers will remain cut.

For stages, a cross selection of 3DS and Wii U stages. This will keep 3DS and Wii U games relevant as not all stages will be on the Switch. So say half Wii U and half 3DS stages = Switch stages with potentially a handful of new ones.

jph139

NEW CHARACTERS
Ice Climbers
Chorus Kids

NEW STAGES
Dr. Mario stage (Pill Bottle)
Rhythm Heaven stage (Medley/Mix)
Ports of 3DS stages

I don't expect anything that's not just repurposed cutting room floor material.

SalvaPot

The full current roster (including DLC).

2 newcomers
-Inklings.
-Rayman.

1 veterans
-Ice Climbers.

-And a new Mii. (I guess I can keep this one vague?)

So I guess that is 4 more characters on Top of the ones we already have.

Wolf is not coming back, lol.

Oh, for the tiebreaker:
Splatoon stage
Ice Climbers stage.
Rayman stage

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My unfun prediction is that the roster is the exact same. Stages and modes from both versions included, except the 3DS classic mode. DLC is not included, but is still available and is "free" if you own both the Wii U and 3DS version of the DLC, otherwise Switch version DLC costs the same as the Wii U DLC.

After a while Smash Switch will get exclusive DLC not available on Wii U/3DS. Inkling and Ice Climbers, each with a stage.

Gaspard

All old fighters return.

Four new/veteran fighters:

Ice Climbers
Inkling
Snake
Incineroar

Stages:
Moray Towers
The big iceberg dynamic stage
Camp Omega
Not sure for the Pokemon stage

Everyone from Smash Wii U/3DS (DLC Included) + 6 Additional Characters

Ice Climbers
Inkling
Decidueye
Spring Man
Bomberman
Shovel Knight

TIEBREAKER: Potential New Stages

Breath of the Wild Plateau
Inkopolis
Fountain of Dreams

Total No. of Characters: 64

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
IF YOU SEE "MAYBE" NEXT TO YOUR USERNAME THEN YOU SHOUDL CHECK OUT THE REASONS WHY I'M NOT CONSIDERING YOUR PREDICTION AS ELIGIBLE.

Contestants
  1. Neoxon
  2. PK Gaming
  3. rardk64
  4. Padwarrior
  5. Net
  6. DecoReturns
  7. Grexeno
  8. Platy
  9. TheDinoman
  10. RK128
  11. ElectricBlanketFire
  12. STGHMAAV - Maybe if he remove "maybe"
  13. balladofwindfishes
  14. Clov
  15. Nickle
  16. Allenous
  17. Captain Rage Quit 69
  18. Svafnir
  19. KelpPlankton
  20. cloudstrife
  21. BitStyle
  22. Morts
  23. BatDan
  24. Poltergust
  25. Massicot - Maybe if he remove the quote and input it as his prediction
  26. The12thGripper
  27. Lucky Seven
  28. LucidMomentum - Maybe if he remove the quote and input it as his prediction
  29. Red Arremer
  30. Zebei
  31. IgotElbows
  32. Raysoul
  33. Sesha
  34. sixteen-bit
  35. jmizzal
  36. 7Th
  37. killroy87
  38. civilstrife
  39. Jawmuncher
  40. Sponge
  41. Illucio
  42. Ryce
  43. Zackat
  44. Diprosalic
  45. Allan Holdsworth
  46. Bamboo 竹
  47. 18-Volt
  48. Juni_
  49. jedivulcan
  50. AcademicSaucer
  51. WoopWOOP
  52. NSESN
  53. 10k
  54. Regiruler
  55. Zyrox
  56. megachao24
  57. Choppasmith
  58. Ushojax
  59. Gvitor
  60. Coffee Dog
  61. God Dayumm
  62. BusterJol
  63. Dad
  64. Waluigilicious
  65. ErrorMacro
  66. Calvero
  67. Kissenkopf
  68. Professor Lexicovermis
  69. Galang
  70. Nocturnowl
  71. TAFK
  72. Growlie19
  73. janoDX
  74. realdragon75
  75. LotusHD
  76. Enforced
  77. KingBroly
  78. Alistair Roo
  79. DICKS AHOY - Maybe He really need to fix his prediction and pick someone instead of using OR
  80. Gartooth
  81. A Link to the Past
  82. Nemecyst
  83. RedFyn
  84. ShinRPGamer
  85. crash-14
  86. SuperSah
  87. jph139
  88. SalvaPot
  89. Troubled Bat
  90. chaosblade
  91. Gaspard
  92. JStein0222
  93. Burning Justice
  94. papertoonz
  95. EhoaVash - Pending on his future update
  96. MacTag
  97. Peléo
  98. sinonobu
  99. Yagami_Sama
  100. WiiRevolution1
  101. EleventhHourSuperpower
  102. Jay RaR
  103. ZBR
  104. GiantBreadbug
  105. akidnamededdy
  106. the anime man
  107. rewkol
  108. Sou Da - Maybe If he add something specific for second choice
  109. Tavernacle12
  110. Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
  111. Seanlole
  112. evanmisha
  113. SleepyJohn11
  114. Retro4ever
  115. deafsox987
  116. secretanchitman
  117. BY2K
  118. PushDustin
  119. Codeblue
  120. euphemism
  121. jnWake
  122. DrArchon
  123. EulaCapra
  124. Titanoboa

Burning Justice

the superior princess
None at all.

My expectations for Smash Switch are pretty much at rock-bottom. All I'm really expecting is a straight port of Smash Wii U with all DLC included, nothing more.

i'll throw my hat into the ring

every character from the base game and the DLC should be still around along with these ones

7 Characters

Inklings (Splatoon)
Decidueye (Pokémon)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Elma (Xenoblade)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
Wolf (Star Fox)

as for stages, all WiiU stages will be back with these 3DS as well

Gerudo Valley
Magicant
Mute City
Yoshi's Island
Green Hill Zone
Arena Ferox

as for new stages i'll say 5 more stages

Inkopolis (Splatoon) i would think this would be a moving stage, moving around to different maps
Rhythm Heaven (Rhythm Heaven) a minigame focus stage like Warioware Inc
Lush Jungle (Pokemon Sun & Moon) a stage based in the tree tops would be a cool idea what with having a bunch of pokemon hanging out in the back ground
BotW stage (Zelda) probably be on top of a cliff or a temple
Summit (Ice Climbers)

so final roundup

65 characters and 66 stages

EhoaVash

Uhh I'm not sure which leaker it was laura or Emily Rogers's but they said not to expect any smash news at this event...So yeh keeping my expectations low on that front but I do want inkling girl

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Uhh I'm not sure which leaker it was laura or Emily Rogers's but they said not to expect any smash news at this event...So yeh keeping my expectations low on that front but I do want inkling girl

They didn't say anything about that tho. I think you misunderstood with other franchises, nor the fact that she heard that new contents in Smash Bros for Switch would be minimal.

MacTag

Banned
All current +DLC characters plus:

Ice Climbers
Inklings (Splatoon)
Wolf (Star Fox)

Rayman
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Snake (Metal Gear)

sinonobu

Banned
6/11/17 Edit

Decidueye (Pokemon S/M)
Joker (Persona 5)
Inklings (Splatoon)
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl(alt) (ARMS)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Simon Belmon (Castlevania)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Rabbids (Rayman)
DQ 11 Protagonist (DQ 11)
Prof.Layton/Lady Layton (alt) (Layton series)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Yagami_Sama

I don't think that they will add new characters, I guess they will just add 3DS content in to the Wii version, but they might add some characters that was cut.

So all characters including DLC, plus :

Ice Climbers
Snake
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf

UPDATE: I've updated this post on 06/11/17 right before e3. To change some characters since various things have happened since then. All updates are in bold.

I had a list a few weeks ago, so I'll just repost it with some slight differences:

I don't see them making a "port" of Smash, instead I see them getting all the WiiU content in and just adding onto it with characters, stages, trophies, and likely one new single player mode and I see them calling it Smash 5/the fifth Smash game. So I'm going for a full set of new characters by end of next year.

I want to guess between 8-15 characters and for this list I'll say 15 characters that I think will happen. Taking a look at what was added in Smash 4 these are mostly my genuine guesses in no particular order

1: Inklings - I mean do I need to say why? lol.
2: Ice Climbers - See 1.
3: Monster Hunter (F/M varients, each with different armors) - MH is now a huge Nintendo partner. So unless the MH team says no like they did with MVC3 I don't see how they don't get in. If they do say no, I hope they realize they are saying no to Sakuari and are ashamed of their decision. UPDATE: Leaked roster of MVCI has MH so only reinforces my belief!
4: Joker (Persona 5 Protagonist) - Atlus is Nintendo's biggest partner without a rep. A Persona rep seems likely since Persona kinda became Atlus's Mascot, but anyone is likely from P5 Protag to Flynn to Jack Frost. But it remains that Atlus rep seems likely to be added and I am pretty sure a Persona rep will be chosen since Sakurai would choose the most popular as with Cloud. While going with Yu Narukami would be the popular pick, I feel it will actually be Joker upon further reflection. So that is my final Atlus rep pick.
5: Mimikyu - I would love Primarina but yeah, don't see it happening. Decidueye is the popular pick but something with the way they promote Mimikyu makes me suspect that it will be the next Pokemon rep. UPDATE: The popular pick in Decidueye is confirmed for Pokken Deluxe, which only reinforces by belief Mimikyu in Smash
6: Paper Mario - Huge franchise always treated kinda seperate from Mario most notably in Paper Jam. Huge moveset potential, and despite...the way the series has gone still a memorable series.
7: Shovel Knight - I feel like an Indie rep is likely and Shovel Knight seems the most likely.
8: Chorus Kids - Was planned for 4. Likely cut for 3DS limits. See no reason to not add them.
9: Snake - Despite Konami going insane, they have unusually been supportive of VC and are even in the NES mini pack, so Nintendo and Konami must be on good terms so I think its fairly likely.
10: Banjo & Kazooie - MS and Nintendo have worked plenty before. If they want him, I don't really see MS saying no. The most they'd ask is to throw in a few Halo trophies or something lol.
11: Minecrafter - Huge with kids, now on WiiU and will most certainly come to Switch probably by end of 2017.
12: Ashley - I don't know but them suddenly having so much merchandise like themes and badges just for this one character keeps throwing me off for some reason...
13: Rayman - Various things make me suspect a bigger partnership between Nintendo and Ubisoft. Kinda blindly throwing this one in.
14: Balloon Fighter - As a tribute to Iwata, I can see Sakurai putting Balloon Fighter in as a playable character.
15: Spring Man - Its made by the Mario Kart team, and a big new IP so I feel its getting a spot.

Let's see how close I get. Now bookmarking and I'll quote this post once its released to see how close I come.

Alot of third parties to first party ratio, but I kinda feel thats the direction they are taking Smash, a celebration of video games themselves. (Especially as they run out've most big 1st party characters.)

Thers alot more characters in my mind. But don't see it much higher than 15 so I'll cap it off here. I hope its atleast 8 to feel like a true sequel. Helps that I know there will be atleast one character I like (Inklings) so I'm hyped for whatever happens!

Jay RaR

All characters + DLC including:

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Dragon Quest Hero (Dragon Quest)
Eggman (Sonic)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Tapu Koko (Pokemon)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

edit:
New Stages for Tiebreaker:
Splatoon Stage
Breath of the Wild Stage
Summit from Brawl

ZBR

All current stages and characters.

New Comers/Old Fighters
- Waluigi (still hopeful)
- Ice Climbers
- Inklings

Would be cool if they got some 3rd party characters
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Yooka-Lele
- Crash
- Shovel Knight

See I feel like I can't make an honest prediction until I know a little more information about Smash Switch and how it's been developed. That being said, I'll just post my most optimistic predictions. I'll include notes, if that's okay:

- Ice Climbers ; Obvious/pls give

- Wolf ; People who think his chances at returning have anything to do with relevance should probably ask themselves why Roy and Doc are back. If this is full blown Smash 4.5 and Sakurai has a chance to do so, he'll bring back Wolf. He isn't highest priority if there are only two new characters, but much more than that and I'd be shocked to see him excluded.

- Chorus Kids ; They surely have a good bit of work done on them from Smash Wii U, so I see them as having pretty good odds. This is the character I'm most curious about since I love how Sakurai is so good at channeling a series into a fighter. RH is very clearly a property they're trying to position better (and for good reason), and its quirkiness will fit in perfectly in Smash. I'm really hoping the RH character idea isn't abandoned and they get their opportunity to be included now.

- Inkling ; Simultaneously a big "if" and a no brainer. I think if Sakurai has figured out a way to represent them properly in Smash, they would have been one of the first newcomers to come to mind. However I wouldn't be altogether shocked to learn that Sakurai wanted to implement an ink-spreading mechanic that wouldn't jive with Smash 4 so they put them in reserve. However, having Inklings in Smash synergized with the Splatoon Switch game is an immense opportunity and I think they might capitalize on it.

- Decidueye ; Besides the fact that it would be badass, Decidueye is the headline starter from Gen VII, which will be enjoying newfound relevance when Stars launches on the Switch (possibly near the time Smash does). It brings two new playable types to the current Smash Pokémon roster (to which I have a hunch Sakurai does give consideration), and generally has a pretty unique niche it can fill in terms of fighting style.

- Rayman ; I think a third party is more or less a given depending on how ambitious the extra content is, and Rayman seems like the safest bet to me (though I wish I could realistically pray for the return of Snake). The Rabbids x Mario RPG being scored by Kirkhope makes me really suspicious as to why they're putting so much effort into it, so it wouldn't surprise me if Rayman and Mario had a pretty strong relationship near the beginning of Switch's lifespan. Between all the Nintendo-Ubisoft friendliness and the Rayman trophies in Smash 4, I'm just saying I think I smell something. Could be nothing, though :B

So just to be clear, my final list is:

- Ice Climbers
- Wolf
- Chorus Kids
- Inkling
- Decidueye
- Rayman

Tiebreaker Stages:

- Summit (Brawl)
- Alola Stage
- Inkopolis

Again, I feel like right now I don't know nearly enough about the new Smash game to make a really accurate prediction. I'm starting to kinda dehype and I'm thinking maybe the "only two" thing might be right, but that would change my prediction radically. For now I'll stick with what I've posted.

The entire complete roster from Wii U + 3DS with the DLC characters

Wolf
Ice Climbers
Inklings
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

Tiebreaker:

Splatoon Arena
Shadow Moses

- All of the characters+stages from the WiiU/3DS versions.

RETURNING CHARACTERS+NEWCOMER
- Ice Climbers
- Wolf
- Rayman

RETURNING STAGES+NEW STAGES
- Fountain of Dreams
- Ice Climber stage
- Rayman stage
- Splatoon stage

rewkol

Years later and the Smash hype train is STILL at it :D

Never die, SmashGAF <3

Kind of crazy isn't it, we see Smash in a title and immediately click. I was only a lurker in the PotD threads, but boy am I glad that I can participate in them now!

Now onto my predictions, I'm going to be really conservative with my guesses.

Alongside all of the characters in Wii U/3DS with all the DLC
New Characters:
Ice Climbers
Inkling

Total Characters: 60
Like I said, I'm not expecting too much extra besides the DLC.

Tie Breaker New Stages:
Urchin Underpass
Summit(Brawl)
Breath of the Wild (I'm guessing that it is based off of a non great plateau area)

I hope I lose and we get a lot more, but we've got to remember to temper expectations. Better to be excited by more than you expected than let down by less!

Sou Da

People up here making Smash 5 wishlists for a Smash 4 port.

I'd bet on

Inkling and a character from the Poll that didn't make it in, I would say Isaac. That's it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to make sure with one thing.

I certainly hope that people are aware that the roster prediction is based on Smash for Switch and Smash Switch DLC too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double post.

People up here making Smash 5 wishlists for a Smash 4 port.

I'd bet on

Inkling and a character from the Poll that didn't make it in. That's it.

Also, you need to be more specific with "a character from the poll" because I can't really count that.

Seanlole

Newcomers:

- Kefka
- Rayman
- Leon S. Kennedy
- Inklings

Coming Back:

- Ice Climbers

Stages:

- New Miiverse (Switch design)
- Kirby Planet Robobot theme Stage
- Super Mario 3D World Stage.

New Modes:

- 8-player Smash ONLINE.

evanmisha

All characters from Sm4sh + DLC packaged for free
+ Ice Climbers
+ Inklings
(Zelda reps get new costumes)

All stages from Sm4sh + DLC packaged for free
+ Pokemon SuMo stage, Aether Paradise?
+ Switch OS-based stage
+ Walleye Warehouse

I don't think too much new stuff will be there, so I'll predict:

• Switch version will include DLC characters, stage, and content from the start
  • Ice Climbers
  • Inkling's the only newcomer.

Not too exciting, but it seems like Nintendo wouldn't want to spend too much time on developing new things and just want to get Smash on the Switch in order to hasten the transition from the Wii U.

Edit: Oh, Tiebreaker, stages:
  • New Pork City from Brawl
  • Corneria stage from Melee
  • New Splatoon stage

Josh5890

New Challengers:

Ice Climbers
Inklings
Dixie Kong
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Yo-kai Watch avatar

Stages:

Kingdom Hearts
Splatoon
Yo-kai Watch

deafsox987

Neo Member
Characters:

Chorus Kids
Ice Climbers
Inkling
Isaac
Wolf

Stages for Tiebreaker:

Inkopolis (Splatoon)
Summit (Ice Climbers)
Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Characters:

Ice Climbers
Inkling
Snake
Wolf

Stages for Tiebreaker:

Inkopolis (Splatoon)
Summit (Ice Climbers)
Shadow Moses Island (Metal Gear Solid)

A lot of people have posted my personal two (Ice Climbers + Inklings), so I'll go with a theoretical roster of +7. While my source has stated there will be two characters, and very limited new content, my gut is still telling me we will get a bit more than that (as I stated in the rumor post). This is because I do believe the porting process happened a bit earlier, coupled with LKD's rumor that Smash Switch won't make launch.

Characters:
All characters from Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
--Veterans--
Ice Climber
Wolf
--Popular--
Inkling
King K. Rool
--Promo--
Decidueye
Rhythm Heaven Rep
--Third Party--
Dragon Quest Protagonist

Stages:
--New Stages---
Breath of the Wild (Stage would be a traveling stage)
New Mario Stage
Splatooon Stage
Pokemon Sun/Moon/Stars Stage
----Stages that were developed for the last game---
Brain Age Stage
Rhythm Heaven Stage
----Returning Stages----
Fountain of Dreams
Summit
---Third Party Stages---
Rayman Rabbids RPG Stage
Dragon Quest Stage

Note: I really wanted to add the Dr. Mario Stage, but I feel a Mario stage based on the newest Mario game is more likely and wanted to keep my stage list limited to 10.

About the character count:
The DLC we got for Wii U/3DS was 7 characters, 8 stages. Whenever a new character is added, it increases the amount of work for balancing. With the base game of Wii U, we really got 15 newomers (Counting Mii separately), 3 clones and eventually 4 additional newcomers as DLC. Brawl also had 15 new characters. Melee had 13 newcomers. Since this game seems to be an enhanced port, I'm going with 1/2 of the typical amount.

God luck!

Codeblue

Characters:

Inklings
Wolf

Stages:

1. Inkopolis
2. Some sort of tour through Breath of the Wild, similar to Skyloft
3. Fountain of Dreams

I think they'll still want to keep parity between versions, so I'm not confidant in Ice Climbers returning. I also think they're going to sell what's in the box and never return to it unless one of the new characters is OP, then they'll just do a targeted patch similar to Bayo.

Honestly, my inclination is that they won't add anything at all, but let's dream big.

Neoxon

Characters:

Inklings
Wolf

Stages:

1. Inkopolis
2. Some sort of tour through Breath of the Wild, similar to Skyloft
3. Fountain of Dreams

I think they'll still want to keep parity between versions, so I'm not confidant in Ice Climbers returning. I also think they're going to sell what's in the box and never return to it unless one of the new characters is OP, then they'll just do a targeted patch similar to Bayo.

Honestly, my inclination is that they won't add anything at all, but let's dream big.
So you think they're gonna sell the Switch additions as DLC for the Wii U & 3DS?

Top Bottom