• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for Switch Roster Prediction Contest - Deadline: one hour - Prize

hampig

Current Roster, including DLC characters.

Additional characters:
Inkling - (Boy/Girl will be costume changes)
Chorus Kid
Ridley

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Complete roster from Smash Wii U/3DS +

Veterans

Ice Climbers

Newcomers

Inklings
Impa (her Hyrule Warriors incarnation)
Shovel Knight
Phoenix Wright

Tiebreaker: Stages

Inkopolis
Plain of Passage
Summit (IC's returning stage)

Timeaisis

I feel like it's time for the W. Also I have a feeling about Tom Nook, who knows. He's my wildcard.

New Characters

• Ice Climbers
  • Inkling
  • Tom Nook
  • Paper Mario
  • Waluigi
Stages

• Breath of the Wild Stage
  • Inkopolis
  • Paper Mario World

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Now we just passed number 200 for participators! Thank you everyone for your time to make your prediction and participating the contest.

Tyeforce

How exactly are we addressing all the vague predictions from people here? Like, a lot of people are saying vague stuff for characters or stages, which could be any number of things. How's that fair?

ffdgh

Alright Heath I'll bite. Sabotaging myself now though.
KuGsj.gif

Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake(hah) for returning vets.

Inklings and ridley(too big) for newcomers.

Inkopolis with a splatfest variation on weekends, summit, and something from sun and moon...Aether paradise as stages.

Eh, why not?

Current Roster, alongside Smash Run and many, if not all, of the 3DS Stages

Veterans

Ice Climbers

Newcomers

Inkling

Stages

Urchin Underpass
Fountain of Dreams
Rhythm Heaven Stage

I'm not really trying to enter into a contest, but I'd say the following about characters

Veterans
- Wolf
- Ice Climbers

Newcomers
- Inkling
- Decidueye
- Paper Mario
- Takamaru
- Elma (Xenoblade X)

I guess there would probably be a new third party character, but I wouldn't quite know who, so I'd just say the total amount would be 65 (If it gets announced now, its probably going to keep all of its characters from Smash Wii U plus DLC)

Stage wise, there would probably be a Splatoon stage, a Sun & Moon stage (personally I'd like Aether Paradise), a Nazo no Murasamejou stage, and Neo LA, if my predictions came true. The Paper Mario stage from Smash 3DS would probably be converted to HD for Paper Mario. Outside of stages for the newcomers, I'd hope that there would be a new IC stage, a Star Fox Zero stage for Wolf, and an eighth stage in the form of the Plateau for Breath of the Wild.

Though honestly? I don't think we're getting a Smash Switch announcement for some reason this week.

JCX

Characters
Everyone from Smash Wii U/3DS + All DLC Characters

Veterans
Ice Climbers
Wolf

Newcomers
Inkling Boy/Girl
Box Boy
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Shovel Knight

Stages:
Walleye Warehouse
Aether Foundation/Ultra Space (think Castle Seige)
Primordia (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Pocket Card Jockey - themed stage

Everyone from Smash Wii U/3DS (DLC Included) + 7 Additional Characters

Returning Vets:

Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
Wolf (Starfox)

Newcomers:

Inkling (Splatoon)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Decidueye (Pokemon Sun/Moon)
Impa ,(The Legend of Zelda, probably Hyrule warriors Design)

Total Characters: 58 + 7 =65

New Stages/Tiebreaker:

New - Splatoon. Some sort of flyover stage that goes through several of the Splatoon stages and inkopolis in the background. Not sure what to call that.
New- Rhythm Heaven stage. Could be something like the Warioware one but with rhythm minigames somehow incoporated? Or switches between a selection of minigames from the series that disrupt/interact with the fighters
New - Aether Foundation (Pokemon Sun/Moon stage)

I think I'm being a bit optimistic with these predictions, but we'll see! 65 lets you have 5 lines of 13 characters each... which means I probably overshot because I forgot to leave a space for the random icon. Haha.

edit: Because I'm a dumbass and went over 3 new stages for the tiebreaker. Cut the extra 2 I had listed (Brawl Icicle mountain and New Hyrule field from BOTW)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
OP are you talking about a smash 5, or the upcoming rumored smash 4 port?

Honestly, I have no idea because we are in unusual situation with Smash Bros for Switch. I would say that I'm talking about upcoming Smash Bros that are going to be out soon like this year. It's possible Smash for Switch (upcoming game) might be only brand new Smash for this console.

Alright Heath I'll bite. Sabotaging myself now though.
KuGsj.gif

I could see that you are trying to sabotage yourself! :p

How exactly are we addressing all the vague predictions from people here? Like, a lot of people are saying vague stuff for characters or stages, which could be any number of things. How's that fair?

I will take a look into the situation. I would be okay with if they are going to be vague with upcoming games' locations like LOZ:BOW. However with Splatoon, we already have the game and we should be specific with it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with characters but I'm going to check throughout all prediction lists and I would make decision later tonight.

Heath, could I just say I don't like the rules? Because I don't like the rules. Specifically the part about the DLC being in. It's insanely hard to predict what will Nintendo do with it. They could release a second Smash game later in the system's life and save the metaphorical meat for that one. They could support this one with DLC for a long long time (it would be inefficient from what we've seen right now... but they could change development model, as well as sales model). They could just pretend no one had a Wii U. And these are just the extremes.

Oh boy, not like I can change the rules. Let's go crazy for the sake of it. +11 Characters compared to Smash "4".
  • Inklings, because yeah, Inklings.
  • Isabelle, because I don't know much about AC and I expect some pushing here
  • Daisy, because Mario spinoffs something something, and Waluigi's primary interesting properties are fanon, also girl pushing I guess (did I mention I have no idea what I'm doing here?)
  • Toad, because one Mario character is unrealistic.
  • Generation 8 Pokemon (if that's not specific enough, a non-starter)
  • Ice Climbers are back. Possible mechanic revamp
  • Excitebiker, because fighting while constantly on motorbike is interesting in its own right
  • A Zelda BotW character. Not Link, though may have Link-inspired moveset (see: Rosalina)
  • Krystal, the character everyone has forgotten about already. Bonus points if it's thanks to people asking for Wolf.
  • Fire Emblem 15 character.
  • Revenge on the democracy. This may be simply a straight new mailbox, but not necessarily so, on the other hand saying that a character (other than ones above) got there thanks to old ballot does not count; it has to be a community involving event and be new. An art competition would count, for instance. If there's a vote on which character comes first it doesn't count.
Tiebreaker: Sonic 2017 something. Mario Party level of some sort. Badge Arcade.

I'm whatever, at long we get him in the game! :p
While you're at it, recommend Sakurai to convert all the music to Atari 2600 audio to save space for the textures. /edgeofthemsedge

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Heath, could I just say I don't like the rules? Because I don't like the rules. Specifically the part about the DLC being in. It's insanely hard to predict what will Nintendo do with it. They could release a second Smash game later in the system's life and save the metaphorical meat for that one. They could support this one with DLC for a long long time (it would be inefficient from what we've seen right now... but they could change development model, as well as sales model). They could just pretend no one had a Wii U. And these are just the extremes.

I'm glad that you don't like the rules. Yeah, that's why I decided to do it because there are many way that they could go with Smash for Switch, and we don't know what to expect. So it would make it hard for posters to win something.

Why would I make it easy for anyone to win if there is money being involved?

fisheyes

I've edited my list, seeing that DLC needs to be included in predictions.

My original predictions were all in the base game:
Returning:
All Smash Bros 4 characters + All DLC (58 characters)
59. Ice Climbers
60. Wolf

Newcomers:
61. Inkling
62. Chorus Kids
63. Rayman (with some Rabbid based attacks)
64. Classic Donkey Kong (ie. the 8=bit one from the arcade)

My new predictions split some of those into DLC, and include a few new DLC candidates.
IN THE BASE GAME:

Returning:
All Smash Bros 4 characters + All DLC (58 characters)
59. Ice Climbers

Newcomers:
60. Inkling
61. Rayman (with some Rabbid based attacks)
62. Classic Donkey Kong (ie. the 8=bit one from the arcade)

DLC:

Returning:
63. Wolf

Newcomers:
64. Chorus Kids
65. Ashley
66. King K Rool
67. Shovel Knight

My reasoning and such can be found in Post #173

All Smash for Wii U Characters including the DLC

Then

Ice Climbers

Inkling
Chorus Kids
Rayman
Shovel Knight
DOOMGUY

For a final total of 64 characters.

Tiebreaker stages:

Blackbelly Skatepark Stage (Splatoon)
Campfire Stage (Shovel Knight)
MAP30 (Doom II)

Tyeforce

I'm not really trying to enter into a contest, but I'd say the following about characters

Veterans
- Wolf
- Ice Climbers

Newcomers
- Inkling
- Decidueye
- Paper Mario
- Takamaru
- Elma (Xenoblade X)

I guess there would probably be a new third party character, but I wouldn't quite know who, so I'd just say the total amount would be 65 (If it gets announced now, its probably going to keep all of its characters from Smash Wii U plus DLC)

Stage wise, there would probably be a Splatoon stage, a Sun & Moon stage (personally I'd like Aether Paradise), a Nazo no Murasamejou stage, and Neo LA, if my predictions came true. The Paper Mario stage from Smash 3DS would probably be converted to HD for Paper Mario. Outside of stages for the newcomers, I'd hope that there would be a new IC stage, a Star Fox Zero stage for Wolf, and an eighth stage in the form of the Plateau for Breath of the Wild.

Though honestly? I don't think we're getting a Smash Switch announcement for some reason this week.
You...I like you! Your list is almost exactly the same as mine! Just minus Snake and Chorus Kids, and plus Takamaru (though Takamaru's still one of my potential candidates for new fighters, he just didn't make the cut on my prediction list here).

It's nice to see more support for Elma and Paper Mario, too! Especially Elma, 'cause she NEEDS to be in Smash! And so does a Rhythm Heaven character... C'mon, make it happen this time, Sakurai, pleeeeease!!

For me, Decidueye would've brought an interesting archetype to Smash Bros that no one did. It would be their best choice to include full-fledged archer character. In my mental, he would be so similar to Hawkeye (UMVC3) and Green Arrow (Injustice).

Pit, Link and Dark Pit wouldn't counts because they only used Bow/Arrow as one of their move. Also Decidueye looks so badass as well.

I think Incineroar could also bring a new archetype to Smash: grappler. Give him Darkest Lariat, and some command grabs. Boom, done!

ubiblu

New Characters
1. Ice Climbers
2. Inkling
3. Alola Trainer (Litten, Brionne, Decidueye)

New Mechanic
1. Mid-battle Character Switching

New Levels
1. Mount Lanakila (Pokémon)
2. Inkopolis (Splatoon)
3. Mushroom Saloon (Super Mario Switch)

random25

Veterans:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf

Newcomers:
1. Inkling
2. Chorus Kids

Stages:
1. Inkopolis (Splatoon)
2. Karate Man (Rhythm heaven)
3. Summit (Ice Climbers)

You...I like you! Your list is almost exactly the same as mine! Just minus Snake and Chorus Kids, and plus Takamaru (though Takamaru's still one of my potential candidates for new fighters, he just didn't make the cut on my prediction list here).

It's nice to see more support for Elma and Paper Mario, too! Especially Elma, 'cause she NEEDS to be in Smash! And so does a Rhythm Heaven character... C'mon, make it happen this time, Sakurai, pleeeeease!!

Well, in regards to Snake, I didn't throw him in given Konami's current situation, and it seems more like Sakurai got Snake in because of his connections with Kojima. And about the Chorus Kids, they only really gained prominence online after that one fake leak. I wouldn't rule a Rhythm Heaven character out, but I wouldn't bet on the Chorus Kids specifically.

Actually, one thing I forgot to mention, and wouldn't bet on at all, is that I kind of think that Baito/Arcade Bunny might have a shot if Sakurai wants someone unexpected.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, people need to be more specific with certain situations with characters.

• For New IP and Future Sequels, then they could use Gen 8 Pokemon, New IP protagonist, New FE character, etc.
  • For games that are out, then I think people should be more specific with the characters, like Pokemon Gen 7, etc.

In a light, I want to explain why I put Rhythm Heaven on my list because I do think we might get Rhythm Heaven rep in same category as Duck Hunt. But I might change the character if I change my mind in the future.

Splatoon is definitely coming to Switch right?

Can't wait to finally try it out if so.

Yup, Splatoon is coming to Switch, based on short video in Switch Trailer.

Sign me up as the wild card. Double.. no, triple the prize if I win!

Bomberman and Banjo. Good choices but good luck!

Tyeforce

Actually, one thing I forgot to mention, and wouldn't bet on at all, is that I kind of think that Baito/Arcade Bunny might have a shot if Sakurai wants someone unexpected.
I LOOOOOOOVE Arcade Bunny, and I'd totally expect him to be include in some form (likely as a Trophy), but I can't imagine him making the cut as a fighter, lol. But hey, I certainly wouldn't complain!

Participating for fun and this is more so a wishlist than an actual prediction

Newcomers:
1. Inkling
2. Dixie Kong
3. Decidueye
4. Impa (I'm hoping she'll play a role in BotW and could have a moveset based on the Sheikah physics technology in the game)
5. Chorus kids
6. Takamaru
7. Bomberman
8. Banjo Kazooie

Veterans
1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf
3. Snake

Stages:
1. Saltspray Rig (Splatoon)
2. Ultra Space (Pokemon)
3. Great Plateau (BotW)
4. Mysterious Murasame Castle
5. Bomberman stage
6. Spiral Mountain (Banjo)
7. Summit (Ice Climbers)
8. Shadow Moses Island(Metal Gear)

The game is initially released with 4 new characters and 2 new stages in addition to the SSB4 roster and DLC. After release they will take a Splatoon like approach with automatically updating and releasing new content for free for 6 months. Over the course of 6 months they will release 4 new characters, 3 new stages and other content. After that they will release 3 paid DLC characters and 3 paid DLC stages over the course of 6 months. So it could look something like this:

Release (September 2017):
Inkling
Chorus Kids
Ice Climbers
Wolf

Free DLC (September-March)
Takamaru
Impa
Decidueye
Dixie Kong

Paid DLC (March-September)
Snake
Bomberman
Banjo Kazooie

Kinsei

Banned
I'm expecting the same roster with four new additions (2 new and 2 vets).

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Marshall (The main Chorus Kid)
Inkling (Girl will be the face of the character but you can choose the gender like WFT)

toa95

Not posting as an entry or anything but last night I had a dream of the revel for Smash Switch, 5 total new characters, 2 were returning characters, one was Ice Climbers, I can't remember the other one, but the most interesting thing was one of the newcomers was Sissel and Lynne from Ghost Trick on the DS as a character.... No idea how they'd work, didn't see any of that in my dream but I just thought that was weird and now I'm trying to think of how that would even work as a character.

Not posting as an entry or anything but last night I had a dream of the revel for Smash Switch, 5 total new characters, 2 were returning characters, one was Ice Climbers, I can't remember the other one, but the most interesting thing was one of the newcomers was Sissel and Lynne from Ghost Trick on the DS as a character.... No idea how they'd work, didn't see any of that in my dream but I just thought that was weird and now I'm trying to think of how that would even work as a character.

I've honestly considered Ghost Trick as a moveset inspiration source, but incorporating Lynne in particular sounds like one way to introduce complete mechanical overkill, through time rewinding, while keeping the endgame spoilers at bay unlike my original idea of, well, finale team. So at least it makes more sense that way.

I don't really play Smash anymore, but as a Metal Gear fan I loved having Snake in Brawl. Obviously due to everything that has happened, this possibility is even more unlikely than getting DLC for this but it's a dream of mine. Also another fighting game character would be awesome, I loved playing Ryu in Sm4sh and being able to do motions and special cancels and all that. Was really awesome and well implemented.

toa95

I've honestly considered Ghost Trick as a moveset inspiration source, but incorporating Lynne in particular sounds like one way to introduce complete mechanical overkill, through time rewinding, while keeping the endgame spoilers at bay unlike my original idea of, well, finale team. So at least it makes more sense that way.

Man after thinking about ghost trick again I looked it up because I was a bit hazy on the story from my memories. Ya... I kinda don't see how they'd work without overcomplicating things, because of you just avoid time based mechanics, there's not really anything unique to the characters.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Everyone from Smash 4 returns as is, bar some minor balancing tweaks---fixing Olimar now that he doesn't have the 3DS limitation for one. Though they could bring back Zelda and Sheik as one character, I think staying as split-characters works well enough.

Returning Veterans

* Ice Climbers: The most obvious addition to the Switch Port since they were veteran characters cut due to the switch to the 3DS, Popo and Nana would make their grand return. Realistically I think we might ONLY see them back in the initial launch of Switch Smash (with one or two DLC characters added later), with the focus being on adding all the 3DS stages as the main reason to buy it, but that wouldn't be fun for a speculation contest to just list them.

* Wolf: The other veteran who seemed oddly absent, especially with a new Star Fox on the horizon, even though Star Fox Zero kind of fizzled out I think there's still a demand for him to return. Did Sakurai ever state why he didn't return?

Newcomers

* Chorus Kids: It seems highly like they were planned for Smash 4 but were cut for reasons unknown, and Smash Switch seems like a good chance to go through with their inclusion especially as I recall Rhythm Heaven Remix doing pretty well and bringing attention to the I.P. worldwide. It's assumed they may have been cut because they wouldn't work on the 3DS version, which isn't an issue now.

* Inklings. Another Male/Female character like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, this is THE newcomer as far as I'm concerned for the next Smash and the only new I.P. released by Nintendo which I think is worthy enough for Smash without feeling like a "flash in the pan" addition. They're already iconic, have a ton of potential moves and an interesting style, and an Amiibo. Would they make new Smash-version Amiibo for them I wonder?

*"Roam" (Zelda Botw Character): Who the fuck is Roam you ask? That's what I'm calling the birdman seen in the Breath of the Wild trailer as he resembles a character seen in the Ishinomori Zelda manga, who was also a birdman archer. Anyway I thought with BOTW being such a big game for Nintendo, why not have a main character from it pop up in Smash Switch for cross-promotional synergy? Zelda didn't get a single newcomer (Zelda Sheik split excluded) in Smash 4, and this guy seems like he might be a break-out character like Ghirahim was who popped up in an early Skyward Sword trailer. Interestingly there's another bird archer who I think would fit Smash Switch, Decidueye, but Pokemon has plenty of representatives so I thought I'd take a chance with someone unexpected.

* Dixie Kong: One of Nintendo's greatest female characters in my opinion, her absence in Smash 4 felt a bit off with Tropical Freeze having just come out and I think she deserves inclusion.

* Itsuki Aoi + Chrom: Yeah, give us the MC of Tokyo Mirage complete with his Chrom Mirage as a cool "Stand User"-type character---another Fire Emblem representative, without technically being from Fire Emblem, and let Chrom finally join the fight but with a stylistic difference from Marth. Don't dub either and keep them talking Japanese though, so Sugita can play a Smash Brother finally.

* Rayman: The only 3rd Party addition, since Nintendo and Ubisoft are apparently working together for a Mario + Rabbids Switch game.

So, yeah, that's eight newcomers in all. Probably not gonna happen but, hey, I go all out with these.

Three new stages for tie-breakers would be:

* A stage based on Tokyo Mirage Sessions that is literally the musical stage from the battles in that game, with Mirages appearing as hazards.

* A Xenoblade X stage based on New Los Angeles with Skells flying around in the background.

* Ice Climber's stage from Brawl returns.

New Characters:

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Inkling
Impa
Elma

New Stages:

Inkopolis Plaza
Splatoon stage based on Final Boss area
Breath of the Wild Environment

DLC:

Dixie Kong
Snake
Banjo
Chibi-Robo

Dream DLC:
Travis Touchdown
Wonder Red
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Lara Croft

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, we just hit 220 participators now! That's pretty good numbers of participators, and I must admits that it's way more than I would expected.

Alright, we just hit 220 participators now! That's pretty good numbers of participators, and I must admits that it's way more than I would expected.

Is it a top secret how many people did you expect? Half of that? Tenth of that?

Rayman: The only 3rd Party addition, since Nintendo and Ubisoft are apparently working together for a Mario + Rabbids Switch game.

Let me be clear that as a cynical Rayman fan I may be somewhat biased, but I believe that while Ubi representative is not out of realm of possibility, Rayman is basically more of Ubi's Samus than of Ubi's Mario or Zelda, especially unless you specify explicitly European worldview. That is not to say he's completely impossible since Ubi does not have a real Mario equivalent as of now. If they did put up watered down Assassin's Creeds on Wii, I would say Rayman's chances are negligible, but they didn't. There is a chance of Rabbids getting in themselves though.

As you will notice, I didn't list any 3rd party in my submission, since rules are rules, and I really can't single out anything in particular, as big publishers' Western franchises seem to be surprisingly non-character based... Rayman stood out to me, but as a fan, I decided that it's more due to dreams than due to sense. Would love to be surprised on this one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it a top secret how many people did you expect? Half of that? Tenth of that?

I actually expected to see almost same numbers for participators in first Smash Bros Roster Prediction thread, which is 121. My guess would be about 120-130.

It took a month and few weeks to get 121 participators in original thread, and we got 220 in about a week. I presume that we got a lot of participators because it's probably easier to predict new additional characters, rather than guessing a full roster.

Zubz

Banned
I'm actually expecting a lot more to a smaller extent, but I'll play it safe.

Veterans:
-Ice Climbers
-Wolf
-Snake

Newcomers:
-Chorus Kids
-Inklings

Stags (Tiebreaker):
-Shadow Moses Island
-Inkopolis
-Saffron City 64

... But part of me still wants to add K. Rool, Rayman, Dixie, Decidueye, Ridley, Skull Kid, Captain Toad, Ashley, Takamaru, Shovel Knight, Brittany/some other Rock Pikmin user, Dovahkiin, Geno, Elma, & Additional Switch 3rd Party Rep (I still really like my Monokuma/
Junko
puppet fighter idea, so I'll push that). It's just that if this port is supposedly minimal, I'll keep this minimal.

Bless you Heath. I feel like you put more work into stuff like this than most people do into their careers.

Also, I like the way you think Zubz

MrPanic

Characters
Ice Climbers
Inkling
Elma Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
Rayman Bomberman

Stages
Splatoon stage
Rhythm Heaven stage
Mario/Rabbids rpg stage

58+4=62

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
LESS THAN 24 HOURS THIS THREAD WOULD BE LOCKED If we didn't get any smash announcement at Switch Event, then the thread is more likely to get unlocked for some people who want to change their minds and edit the roster. However, if we get some leak information on the characters then the thread would remain stay locked.

Bless you Heath. I feel like you put more work into stuff like this than most people do into their careers.

Thank you for kind words, I appreciate it. Y'all are great in Smash Community and I hope that we would able to speculate once again even it would be a shot time.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I predict the current roster plus:

-Ice Climbers
-Rayman
-Inkling
-Marshall from RH

Extra stages:

-New Hyrule
-Alola
-Inkopolis
-Rabbids RPG stage