• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatching LAX.

Two things--

Jack is gripping the armrest during the turbulence.
Rose: It's okay. You can let go now.

Bernard comes back from the restroom.
Rose: I missed you.

Definitely tells me that Rose had already been awakened, and that she died long before Bernard.

Erigu

Merguson said:
Jacob can't uncork the Island because he needs an unique resistance to electromagnetism
I was saying that based on brandonh83's theory that Jacob was the one who put the cork there in the first place (which would imply he was resistant to magical electromagnetism).

and say even if he did, he would lose his protector status.
Would he?
I mean, it would kinda make sense, seeing how the MiB lost his powers (but got to keep his fake Locke body instead of simply vanishing, which was a sweet deal after all), that the protector would lose his powers as well... but wouldn't that mean Hurley merely drank some mud?

why does Jacob not want MiB to leave the Island? Simply put, knowledge of the Island
So, when all those people talked about the end of the world... it was really a matter of "if he leaves, he might talk, people might find the island, somebody might mess with the heart of the island, and that would kill everybody (eventually? it apparently takes some time)!"?
Because... Well, other people have left the island before, and it didn't seem that big of a deal.

Obviously, leaving the Island uncorked would bring dire consequences
Just cork it back again. 'Turned out to be as simple as that, conveniently enough.

If Desmond could be unconscious when uncorking the Island, then who's going to plug it?
Still going from the theory that Jacob was the one who built the whole cork thing in the first place... Jacob again? He'd have to be pretty resistant to all that mojo in the first place, so...

Zeliard said:
Darlton didn't have great plans for them, but they should have stuck to their guns and kept them... because, well, because of something, certainly.
Well, thanks for providing the link.
You're welcome, but I wished you'd pay more attention:
Me said:
Really, if anything, it wasn't so weird how those two characters suddenly showed up in the front of the camera and started talking: it was weird how all those other castaways were being so damn mute and irrelevant. :lol
So yeah. I didn't really have a problem with the introduction of Nikki and Paolo.
The part you quoted was just me having little faith in the writers overall (as in, I personally doubt they really had great plans for them anyway). That's another matter altogether.
Thank you for your comprehension?

Blader

brandonh83 said:
Rewatching LAX.

Two things--

Jack is gripping the armrest during the turbulence.
Rose: It's okay. You can let go now.

Bernard comes back from the restroom.
Rose: I missed you.

Definitely tells me that Rose had already been awakened, and that she died long before Bernard.

She could have simply recovered her memories before Bernard did, I don't think that means she died long before he did.

WillyFive

I think the OP should have a link to every single Lost episode thread made on NeoGAF.

It's a blast reading those, and it helps those watching the show for the first time to see how others reacted on theories.

Willy105 said:
I think the OP should have a link to every single Lost episode thread made on NeoGAF.

It's a blast reading those, and it helps those watching the show for the first time to see how others reacted on theories.

I was thinking about it. It's a lot of work, but it would be really lovely.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there was already that recap thread, just copy that!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, spent the last few min googling and can't find it.
Who made it? Neoism, I think.

Zeliard

Erigu said:
You're welcome, but I wished you'd pay more attention:

So yeah. I didn't really have a problem with the introduction of Nikki and Paolo.
The part you quoted was just me having little faith in the writers overall (as in, I personally doubt they really had great plans for them anyway). That's another matter altogether.
Thank you for your comprehension?

Nobody is or was talking about your problem with the "introductions." I was talking about the existence of the characters as a whole. You're the one who just now brought up "introductions" as if that's meaningful in any capacity. It wasn't just the way the characters were introduced that was the problem - it was the characters themselves as a whole.

Erigu said:
Well, the characters had barely done anything anyway, right? The way I see it, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction from the fanbase: "we've never seen those guys! where do they come from anyway?!"

I think a writer shouldn't bother with that kind of reaction and stick to his guns, if he knows he has some great stuff for those characters in his sleeve. ... Not that I believe Darlton had great plans for those two anyway, here, so, y'know...

1) a writer shouldn't care about fan reaction and should stick to his guns and keep those characters, but
2) i don't believe the writers had great plans for those two characters anyway

Someone wants to have their cake and eat it too. The reasons Nikko and Paolo were thrown out are that the writers themselves felt they were poor characters, which was then reinforced significantly by the negative fan reaction. This is indisputable fact, so if you also believe the writers had no real plans for them on top of all of that, then how in the world can you have expected them to keep them?

There are many valid criticisms for the show, including some that I have. This is just a transparent, contradictory effort. You're literally the only person I have ever seen attempt to criticize the writers for writing Nikki and Paolo out.

hamchan

disappeared said:
Or how about taking your own goddamned advice and ignore threads about shows you don't like? Is that feasible? You're a mod, so it comes with the territory that you hand out bans to people over in Gaming who go into threads dissing games just for the sake of it. I get it that you don't like the show, you've reiterated that time and time again in almost every Lost thread. So how about ignoring this one? Could you try that?

C'mon, duckroll, do it. Ban me. Ban me for challenging your hypocritical train of thought.

You sound like you have personal issues with duckroll.

(If I was a mod I would ban you for trying to play Chicken. Daring him to ban you, seriously?)

SpeedingUptoStop
(05-29-2008, 10:47 PM)

FUCK

ME

SIDE

WAYS

big_headshot_CCuse.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Zeliard said:
Are Cuse & Lindelof sticking together for the next project, or going their separate ways?
I'm sure they're sick of each other. I can sense it.

Merguson

Banned
Erigu said:
I was saying that based on brandonh83's theory that Jacob was the one who put the cork there in the first place (which would imply he was resistant to magical electromagnetism).

That's a big pretty assumption that Jacob did construct the cork. I'm on the camp that he never did construct the cork. If MiB's people could figure out a system to channel water and the energy, surely other more advanced civilizations could do the same. There were markings on the cork that were similar to a civilization. (I forgot which one, I think Egyptian?) Not to mention that we do see remains of unfortunate people in the cave. Jacob may be able to influence people to not enter but he can't really stop them physically. He's mortal in a way obviously and he obviously can't call upon MiB since the point is to make sure MiB doesn't ever find the cave.

Would he?
I mean, it would kinda make sense, seeing how the MiB lost his powers (but got to keep his fake Locke body instead of simply vanishing, which was a sweet deal after all), that the protector would lose his powers as well... but wouldn't that mean Hurley merely drank some mud?

I thought the protector's powers would be gone considering MiB loses his as well, plus we see Hurley in the afterlife too. And from that Epilogue, Walt was to be the future protector of the Island. (This might be wrong, I did see the video but had it muted. I saw a summary) Why need Walt to be the future protector of the Island if Hurley is going to be immortal anyways.. unless..

So, when all those people talked about the end of the world... it was really a matter of "if he leaves, he might talk, people might find the island, somebody might mess with the heart of the island, and that would kill everybody (eventually? it apparently takes some time)!"?
Because... Well, other people have left the island before, and it didn't seem that big of a deal.

What other people? I knew the Others have left the Island before but it's not like a group of random people is going to convince the world there's this magical island with a smoke monster roaming about. We know of two incidents already (My theory!). The Hatch and the Cork. The Hatch keeping the energy at bay with a series of numerical inputs, and the Cork, keeping the Cork in keeps the energy at bay. What happens when the numbers aren't inputted? Island goes haywire.. What happens if the Cork isn't plugged.. the Island goes haywire. This ancient civilization tried to manipulate this energy, failed, and constructed the Cork to keep the energy at bay. There's been some successful manipulation of the energy however, such as the wheel. Obviously that's not enough for the Others since we can see they don't exactly give a welcome party to those who find the Island.

Just cork it back again. 'Turned out to be as simple as that, conveniently enough.

Still going from the theory that Jacob was the one who built the whole cork thing in the first place... Jacob again? He'd have to be pretty resistant to all that mojo in the first place, so...

Assuming that Jacob is the one who did the whole cork thing, but I don't think that theory is right.

Erigu

Zeliard said:
Nobody is or was talking about your problem with the "introductions."
Like I said, I didn't really have one. But lots of people did, obviously. That's what we were talking about, remember?

It wasn't just the way the characters were introduced that was the problem - it was the characters themselves as a whole.
I'm sure it wasn't just their introductions that was problematic, yeah. But I also don't think we've seen much of the characters themselves, until their farewell episode...

1) a writer shouldn't care about fan reaction and should stick to his guns and keep those characters, but
2) i don't believe the writers had great plans for those two characters anyway
Well, yeah?
Point number 1 is a personal opinion of mine about the writing process in general. If you introduce new characters, one can assume you have plans for them, and you shouldn't let a mere knee-jerk reaction from the audience (and that's what happened there, in my opinion... feel free to disagree, obviously) divert you from that.
But then again, (... and here comes point number 2...) I personally doubt Lindelof and Cuse really had great plans for those two characters anyway (as it doesn't look like they ever do).
There's nothing "illogical" about all that, man. Sorry, but hey.

You're literally the only person I have ever seen attempt to criticize the writers for writing Nikki and Paolo out.
I wasn't criticizing the fact they got rid of the characters. As said above, I doubted anything great would come out of those two characters, just like I doubted anything great would come out of Caesar and Ilana ('certainly didn't expect Caesar to get killed off so unceremoniously though, that's got to be some kind of a record!). So you certainly won't see me crying over that "loss".
No, what I was criticizing was:
1) The idea that it's perfectly normal - no, advised, even - to let a knee-jerk reaction from the fans tell a writer where the story should go. Again, it may not have mattered here because the writers were hacks anyway, but I take exception to the idea itself. It's another one of those shitty "storytelling lessons from Master Lindelof and Master Cuse", as far as I'm concerned, and those seriously irk me.
2) The way they got rid of the characters, if they really thought they were a failure. They didn't have to kill them off, let alone take an entire episode for that. They were supposed to be previously unnoticed red shirts who suddenly had some lines, and they could have gone back to just that. Going as far as to kill them off felt gratuitous (like many deaths on the series, really) and pandering to the fanbase.

WillyFive

There were tons of candidates across the centuries.

It's easy to assume one of them built the cork, if it wasn't Jacob.

After all, it was brighter in Across the Sea than in The End, so it was built to keep the light (the electromagnetic energy) from getting out.

Also, Expose is a fantastic episode.

Zeliard

Erigu said:
No, what I was criticizing was:
1) The idea that it's perfectly normal - no, advised, even - to let a knee-jerk reaction from the fans tell a writer where the story should go. Again, it may not have mattered here because the writers were hacks anyway, but I take exception to the idea itself. It's another one of those shitty "storytelling lessons from Master Lindelof and Master Cuse", as far as I'm concerned, and those seriously irk me.

The reason it didn't matter here isn't because the writers are what you feel as "hacks", but rather that the writers had already realized their mistake. Damon and Lindelof have already noted that they themselves didn't like the characters at first, so when the fan reaction came, they truly knew they had made an error.

They weren't responding 100% to fan reaction, and frankly even if they were, that would have been a positive thing in this particular case. You shouldn't let the fans control your entire show or direct where it goes, but if nearly all of them hate something that you're doing, you should probably take a look at it. I really don't see how that's a legitimate criticism at all.

Erigu said:
2) The way they got rid of the characters, if they really thought they were a failure. They didn't have to kill them off, let alone take an entire episode for that. They were supposed to be previously unnoticed red shirts who suddenly had some lines, and they could have gone back to just that. Going as far as to kill them off felt gratuitous (like many deaths on the series, really) and pandering to the fanbase.

Why did you feel killing them off was "gratuitous"? It's just the norm. Whenever a contract for an actor ends on a show, or they're let go or leave for whatever reason, that character is frequently literally killed off on the show. This goes with everything from Lost to your basic hospital drama.

The reason they actually kill the characters off is so that there's no chance it could damage continuity in any fashion (and to make it more dramatic). When that character is gone, they're gone from that world and that show, and that's that. Based on how the actor left, it could hurt the flow or pacing of the show when they do, but killing them off once they're gone is how it's almost always been done.

If it's not that, then it's the character getting another job and moving to another town or whatever, which clearly wasn't a possibility with Lost.

The writers simply decided they'd have a bit of fun with it. It was their way of owning up to their mistake, so they had sort of a dark humor-heavy episode centered around Nikki and Paolo. It's preferable, I think, for writers to put their egos aside and be able to admit when they did something wrong. Wasn't the first time Damon and Lindelof did that, either (Jack's tattoo episode). Later on down the line they'll probably be more willing to talk about some of the other aspects of Lost that may not have come out the way they wanted to.

Salmonax

xray.png

Always loved this shot from the opening montage of the finale. And on an unrelated note, Locke's monologue about Mousetrap way back when seems more poignant retrospectively given what ultimately happened to him.

Salmonax said:
xray.png

Always loved this shot from the opening montage of the finale. And on an unrelated note, Locke's monologue about Mousetrap way back when seems more poignant retrospectively given what ultimately happened to him.

That whole opening sequence of The End.

That's when I knew Lost was awesome forever.

Nameless

threenote said:
Bah posting in this thread seems futile.

pretty much..

I'm done. Greatest show of all-time but not thinking about it has actually been sorta refreshing. There really is nothing until left to say the inevitable re-watch.

Oh, and dick move closing the other thread right before 15k, too..

8y57gp.jpg

Erigu

Merguson said:
That's a big pretty assumption that Jacob did construct the cork.
I agree.

we do see remains of unfortunate people in the cave.
('guess those never magically resurfaced like MiB's corpse and Jack did, for some reason)

Jacob may be able to influence people to not enter but he can't really stop them physically.
He can't?
That's one of the problems with all those "rules": who's to say what the limitations of the protectors' powers are?
Being able to absolutely keep somebody from killing somebody else seems pretty powerful to me. And then, you even have stuff like dynamite not blowing up "because you can't kill yourself".
And yet, the protector just can't make it a rule that nobody can enter that cave? How does that work?
The only logic I'm seeing is that whatever is convenient for the writers at the moment goes, and that's pretty weak...

I thought the protector's powers would be gone considering MiB loses his as well, plus we see Hurley in the afterlife too.
Well, if Jacob died, I guess that means Hurley can die too...
I mean, if the idea is that Hurley didn't really become the new protector and the mud was just mud... well, on top of not exactly being conveyed on-screen (Ben sure readily accepts Hurley as his new boss, for example), it's kinda shitty for poor Hurley, don't you think?
"Dude. I'm losing my hair. Should I be losing my hair? ... JAAAAACK!"

from that Epilogue, Walt was to be the future protector of the Island.
It does seem possible that was the "job" Hurley was referring to...

Why need Walt to be the future protector of the Island if Hurley is going to be immortal anyways
'Could be because Hurley wasn't "really" the protector, but 'could also be because Walt's "special-ness" makes him the perfect man for the job...
(but either way, I thought limbo-Ben made it sound like Hurley had been in charge for quite a while...)

What other people?
Widmore and Eloise, for starters. Widmore, in particular, seemed pretty pissed. So why would the MIB get the special "he can't leave the island, it's faaaaar too dangerous! if word of the island gets out, it's the end of the world! kill it with fire!" treatment, whereas Widmore was simply sent away on a sub?

I knew the Others have left the Island before but it's not like a group of random people is going to convince the world there's this magical island with a smoke monster roaming about.
Whereas I guess the smoke monster would probably be more convincing, being a smoke monster and all... But why would he tell anybody about the island?
*has visions of the MIB with a fake beard, all misty-eyed... "WE HAVE TO GO BAAAACK!"*

Zeliard said:
The reason it didn't matter here isn't because the writers are what you feel as "hacks", but rather that the writers had already realized their mistake.
What can I say? 'Guess we just disagree about that! :lol

Damon and Lindelof have already noted that they themselves didn't like the characters at first, so when the fan reaction came, they truly knew they had made an error.
They weren't responding 100% to fan reaction
I dunno. Good for them if they weren't, I guess. It just seemed to me they were completely pandering to the audience on that one. And proud of it, too, especially with that "let's take an entire episode to have regulars make meta "who?" comments about them before killing them off in a sadistic way!" thing.

frankly even if they were, that would have been a positive thing in this particular case.
Well, in this particular case, it's Lost, and like I said... Yeah. I doubt we missed out on much anyway.

You shouldn't let the fans control your entire show or direct where it goes, but if nearly all of them hate something that you're doing, you should probably take a look at it. I really don't see how that's a legitimate criticism at all.
It's really about the fact we're talking about characters that had barely done anything yet... That's why I'm talking about a knee-jerk reaction (Lindelof said "people hated the characters before they even opened their mouths because it felt like they were crashing the party", and that has to be one of the very, very rare instances where I'd agree with the guy), but I guess your mileage may vary...

Why did you feel killing them off was "gratuitous"? It's just the norm. Whenever a contract for an actor ends on a show, or they're let go or leave for whatever reason, that character is frequently literally killed off on the show. This goes with everything from Lost to your basic hospital drama.
You blood-thirsty lot. :lol
I mean, come on. There are people I don't see anymore, but I think there's a good chance it isn't because they fell in the Grand Canyon. There are other ways to phase characters out (and I'm sure TVTropes has a witty denomination for every single one of them).
Especially when we're talking about characters that have always been "around" (supposedly). You don't even really have to do anything. "Hey, where did Nikki and Paulo go?" Well, back from whence they came: the Silent Assembly of Red Shirts. And SARS is obviously less cruel that spider venom. :lol

The writers simply decided they'd have a bit of fun with it. It was their way of owning up to their mistake, so they had sort of a dark humor-heavy episode centered around Nikki and Paolo. It's preferable, I think, for writers to put their egos aside and be able to admit when they did something wrong.
As you can see, that's not what I got out of it... ^^;
And really, when the writers explain their decision with a "we could have dealt with that like that other show... but that's not Lost", my reaction isn't exactly "gee, those guys are so humble!"...

Shorty

Banned
on my to buy list:
1)1080p HDTV
2)blu-ray player
3)surround sound system
4) LOST boxset

then I will rewatch the whole series with my gf who has never seen a single episode of lost and it will be glorious.

gdt

Zeliard said:
Are Cuse & Lindelof sticking together for the next project, or going their separate ways?

Lindelof is working up quite the resume. He's writing/producing Star Trek II, wrote Cowboys and Aliens, and is writng the new Alien movie.

Cuse hasn't really announced/released his next step, so I guess we'll see.

I'd think they'd want to do stuff separately, at least for bit. They were attached at the hip for something like 6/7 years.

I wonder if they still do weekly breakfast, now that they can't do it daily :lol .

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Salmonax said:
xray.png

Damn, that is an awesome shot. Kinda creepy too, considering.

Nameless said:
pretty much..

I'm done. Greatest show of all-time but not thinking about it has actually been sorta refreshing. There really is nothing until left to say the inevitable re-watch.

Oh, and dick move closing the other thread right before 15k, too..

bailout.gif
Hey, I feel you. But still... :(

see ya around, brother...

gdt

KevinCow said:
So when is everyone planning on doing their rewatch? I honestly have no idea when I'm gonna do it, or how.

I plan on rewatching S6 soon as I get the Complete Set, then the entire series maybe....next summer? Maybe after.

Catalix

gdt5016 said:
Lindelof is working up quite the resume. He's writing/producing Star Trek II, wrote Cowboys and Aliens, and is writng the new Alien movie.

Cuse hasn't really announced/released his next step, so I guess we'll see.

I'd think they'd want to do stuff separately, at least for bit. They were attached at the hip for something like 6/7 years.

I wonder if they still do weekly breakfast, now that they can't do it daily :lol .
Good for Damon. Dude's got a bright future.

Blader5489 said:
September 22, 2014
Something like that. Not too soon.

BenjaminBirdie said:
CHRIST that Bail Out gif is the biggest gif on the entire internet. DEFINITELY quote it, please, thanks!
:p

WyndhamPrice said:
Inadvertently started my rewatch this week with a friend who's never seen the show before. Halfway through S1! Feels good man.

Any cool details that hit you after knowing the whole story?

brandonh83 said:
Any cool details that hit you after knowing the whole story?

Nothing major as at that point in S1 the mythology hasn't really kicked into gear, but a lot of the black/white symbolism and dialogue makes me smirk knowing what I know now.

WyndhamPrice said:
Nothing major as at that point in S1 the mythology hasn't really kicked into gear, but a lot of the black/white symbolism and dialogue makes me smirk knowing what I know now.

Yeah there's definitely that :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom