• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's statement on layoffs & concerns "We know we have lost a lot of your trust"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

This has been one of the most difficult weeks in our studio’s history, as we’ve parted ways with people we respect and admire. We’ve spent this week supporting one another, including those who are at the studio, as well as friends and colleagues who no longer are.

We want to acknowledge the feedback and concerns you have about Lightfall and recent Seasons, as well as your responses to the reveal of The Final Shape. We know we have lost a lot of your trust. Destiny needs to surprise and delight. We haven’t done this enough and that’s going to change.

To us the path forward is clear: We need to make The Final Shape an unforgettable Destiny experience. We want to build something that will be regarded alongside the best games we’ve ever made – a fitting culmination that honors the journey we’ve been on together for the past ten years. Forsaken, The Witch Queen, and The Taken King – these are the standard bearers we aim to live up to.

We are intensely focused on exceeding your expectations for The Final Shape. Destiny 2 has more than 650 dedicated teammates pouring all their energy and expertise into delivering this epic moment and its subsequent Episodes.

In the weeks ahead, you’ll be hearing more from us about what’s next on the short-term horizon, beginning with our next Season in late November. Afterwards, we’ll begin to unpack our team’s bigger, bolder, and brighter vision for The Final Shape, as well as the bridge we plan to build to take us all out of this Darkness and into the Light.

See you starside,

The Destiny 2 Dev Team

let it die
9HCLj8M.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good god. Patient on life support.

Given what's happened lately, never mind Bungie being paid $3.6 billion to be bought out. I dont think they are even worth $360 million.

On Wall St, if a company missed projections by 45% (I have never seen a company miss anywhere close to that) the stock would drop 80%. You got company stocks getting grill 20 or 30% just for missing by a few % of sales or EPS. Missing by 45% is unprecedented.

Name one big company that has ever missed by 45%.

GHG

Bungie can fuck right off, far as Im concerend they got Factions 2 cancelled and are a big reason for the Sony GAAS Trash push.

Seeing things for what they are now they probably felt threatened by it so decided to sabotage.

They seem like a right bunch of money hungry clowns.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I still don't understand why there is a controversy. Revenue is down huge. Companies need revenue to cover cost. Did any of the people complaining about this even take at least a high school level econ class?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
No mention of Marathon in there at all. That youtuber seems like he was right, eh HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ?
We barely know anything about Marathon and it's status. From a PR perspective, there's no reason to even acknowledge it right now. The last thing they want is for people to think they're looking beyond The Final Shape already.

Destiny is product people have financial and emotional investment in. It makes sense to ignore Marathon for now. It may as well not exist until we see actual gameplay.

Nydius

Bungie lost my trust long before this. This is just another in a long list of shitty behaviors by Bungie. Content vaulting, FOMO seasonal bullshit, Eververse, half-assed writing, charging for dungeons, et cetera, et cetera.

They treat their players with contempt, so it comes as no surprise they do the same with their employees.

outsida

Destiny has been my most played game the last 2 generations. I've come to the realization that Bungie is a POS company run by a-holes. There are just too many instances of them looking scummy to ignore at this point.

Ozzie666

They milked it beyond the breaking point, eventually the fans had enough. and people stopped buyin the addons. This is why I laugh at 10 year plans for games like Halo inifinite. I'm constantly surprised Fornite conitnues to be successful. If your going to charge for expansion packs and DLC, they need to offer much more value. Shrinkgate is impacting games as well. I hope the people impact find work.

Sony fucked up big time by paying 3.5B for Bungie

650 people working on freaking Destiny is insane

Their next game will be a flop. Quote me on it.
I still don't understand why there is a controversy. Revenue is down huge. Companies need revenue to cover cost. Did any of the people complaining about this even take at least a high school level econ class?
I've lost count how many of these posts they've made in this fashion since D1. I'm hoping people are starting to catch up to the abusive pattern.

I don't think people understand how difficult it is for GaaS titles to monetize their base. Bungie has experimented a lot. That's part and parcel with GaaS titles. You are going to need to make mistakes and hopefully grow from them.

Bungie managed to do that multiple times throughout Destiny's lifecycle; some good, some bad, but overall good since Destiny 1's launch.

And all games have lifecycles. Destiny 2 is long in the tooth at this point. 45% drop in revenue is not good news, but most games have 0% revenue for 4-5 years now, so it's not as catastrophic as some claim. GaaS revenue is not going to be some stable business; it WILL be volatile.

Claiming their "next game will be a flop" without seeing any of it is just ridiculous. Bungie still makes the best PLAYING FPS games in the business. As a studio, they have VERY awesome core gameplay and they just need to learn and grow on how to better foster a long-term community while balancing it out with newcomers in the space. It's tricky.

I'm still confident that out of all Sony's GAAS initiatives, their best best is going to be with Bungie, and they have the highest potential for sustaining long term business growth than any one of their other studios.

Last edited:

Fbh

Eh, you you reap what you sow.
Bungie loves pandering to the Era type "woke" crowd. Well that's the sort of audience that will make you apologize for a normal part of business like layoffs.

I feel like every expansion and season are preceded by the same "addressing feedback and concerns" bullshit and they only seem to fuck it up even more. I spent probably 6 years playing Destiny 1 and 2, starting with the first game at launch and cannot believe how they managed to fuck this game sideways in recent years.

Bridges

I wish no ill will onto Bungie, but I can't help but feel Destiny's success is largely responsible for the GaaS nightmare the industry has become.

Maybe I've got my history wrong, but I wonder if things would be radically different today if the pre-Destiny trajectory of the industry kept its course. Or were we always doomed to FOMO dopamine battle pass seasonal content in every multiplayer release?

We barely know anything about Marathon and it's status. From a PR perspective, there's no reason to even acknowledge it right now. The last thing they want is for people to think they're looking beyond The Final Shape already.

Destiny is product people have financial and emotional investment in. It makes sense to ignore Marathon for now. It may as well not exist until we see actual gameplay.

Exactly.

I think it's fair to assume that a large chunk of the non-650 strong Destiny 2 team is working on Marathon.

sinnergy

Firing the most experienced people , who probably worked there a long time to help the company become what they are now … also the most expensive.. shame on you bungie .

Top Bottom