• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on story in Zelda BotW

Skeletos311

http://time.com/4668908/nintendo-switch-miyamoto-interview/

I've read you weren't a fan of story-heavy games early in your career. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is clearly more story-driven than the franchise's earliest installments. What are your thoughts these days on story in games?

Let me start off by saying that Mr. Aonuma [Eiji Aonuma, the game's producer] and his team, instead of creating a game where you're playing the story, you yourself are embarking on an adventure, and I think they've found a unique way to strike a balance between the story and the fact that you're on an adventure. It's not that I don't like story, that I'm denying the importance of story. I think after someone has played a game, it's important that a story lingers in their mind. But what I do think is a challenge, is to cut down on playtime to set up and explain a story that's already been set.

I think what's important, especially for the Zelda series, is for the person to be able to think it through for themselves, and to really live the story. I think that's the challenge we've been working on through the many iterations of The Legend of Zelda. And so in this game, while you're playing, you start to kind of dig the narrative out and see the overarching story that lies in the background.

And so I think the story in Breath of the Wild still doesn't break the balance that's been established in previous Zelda games. But we also wanted to make a game where, after someone is done playing, their own experience in that game is what the story is, and I think we've been able to accomplish that with this title. And really in this game, everybody can take very, very different routes and approaches. How long it takes to beat the game has a huge range.

That sounds great, but I think it's also important to point out that in that article Miyamoto talks about making a hammock for his cat:

Is there anything in particular, when you think of the next 10 years, that you'd like to accomplish, in or out of gaming?

[...]
When I'm told that maybe I don't need to go to work for a few days, I worry that I don't have things to do, so I try to make sure there are things in my personal life that I can really work on too. So my garden looks really good now. I've been spending months just hoeing. [Laughs] And I made a cat hammock. I took a stool and then kind of pulled it apart and put it together so it's like a hammock for a cat.

That sounds like one very lucky cat.

[Laughing] Even when I place him in it he runs away. It's not quite there yet.

hatchx

Banned
I like how the game basically starts instantly. And it sounds as if the story cutscenes will be segmented in separate chapters (maybe set in the past? as many have speculated), and can be found/achieved in any order.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Interested to see how this turns out.

If they strike the right balance, this could be something special.

Have to say, this is the one game I can say Voice acting doesn't sit very well with me on.(over text)

PrimeBeef

I like how the game basically starts instantly. And it sounds as if the story cutscenes will be segmented in separate chapters (maybe set in the past? as many have speculated), and can be found/achieved in any order.

More games need to do this. I just cannot get into many of the more modern games that take one or more hours to finally get into the game. I play games to play them not watch a sometimes interactive movie.

Frostman

Interested to see how this turns out.

If they strike the right balance, this could be something special.

Have to say, this is the one game I can say Voice acting doesn't sit very well with me on.(over text)

I agree if they strike the balance it will be special, my worry is if it doesn't hit that balance.

That will make or break the story.

Skeletos311

The way he describes how the story can be experienced really makes me think of Zelda 1. You really only get story in the intro and at the end in Zelda 1 and the rest is your adventure.

Richie

That sounds great, but I think it's also important to point out that in that article Miyamoto talks about making a hammock for his cat:

Really hoped this would be shared and lo and behold, first post. My total approval, good gaffer.

On topic, seems like Miyamoto -personally- sees the cutscenes and such as more incidental to, say, personal anecdotes of what the players find cool in their adventure, like wacky physics' happenstance.

Is there anything in particular, when you think of the next 10 years, that you'd like to accomplish, in or out of gaming?

[...]
When I'm told that maybe I don't need to go to work for a few days, I worry that I don't have things to do, so I try to make sure there are things in my personal life that I can really work on too. So my garden looks really good now. I've been spending months just hoeing. [Laughs] And I made a cat hammock. I took a stool and then kind of pulled it apart and put it together so it's like a hammock for a cat.

That sounds like one very lucky cat.

[Laughing] Even when I place him in it he runs away. It's not quite there yet.

I love this man.

Jay RaR

I wonder whose idea was it to include voiced cutscenes in BotW.

Personally, I hope Miyamoto wasn't as involved with the script and he stays far, far away from the story if it's presented to be "complex". He's got his reasons which I respect but I hope he's only helped out on the gameplay.

Bakkus

Nice that Aonuma is the chief for this game. He's the only one in Nintendo with the balls to say 'No!' to any terrible idea by Miyamoto.

Astral Dog

The way he describes how the story can be experienced really makes me think of Zelda 1. You really only get story in the intro and at the end in Zelda 1 and the rest is your adventure.
Uh,that would be very lame and i don't thats the intent at all,Breath of the Wild will have quite a developed story,if a bit simple to explore.

And thats ok,the best Zelda games are not the ones without a plot,they are the ones that find a balance and manage to introduce charming characters that stay with you.

wich is why OoT,MM and WW are my top three 😃

Plum

This doesn't sway me at all. I never found the story in a Zelda game to be intriguing. I'm there for the gameplay.

The game gives you full reign to explore the world literally 5 minutes in. If you're worried about there being little gameplay in this you clearly haven't watched any videos on the game.

Astral Dog

Nice that Aonuma is the chief for this game. He's the only one in Nintendo with the balls to say 'No!' to any terrible idea by Miyamoto.
Miyamoto was in charge of Ocarina and ALTTP,(later suggested ALBW) Zelda fanboys adore those games

The Big N

Banned
One of the reason why I've always enjoyed Nintendo's games. They always push for the gameplay to define the game and the story is only force upon on at certain times. I enjoy good stories, but sometimes the best part of the story in a game is for you to play the story and not have everything brought upon you during a cut scene.

DNAbro

That seems wrong though. We know there a quite a few cutscenes and characters throughout.

Fou-Lu

But what I do think is a challenge, is to cut down on playtime to set up and explain a story that's already been set.

It may seem weird for me to say this as a huge RPG fan, but this line right here really resonates with me as an issue with a lot of story focused games. It's okay to focus on story, but I do still prefer playing the game to listening to or reading it.

Moff

Breath of the wild is more story driven? Huh, I expected the complete opposite. What Information do we have on that?

I liked that they are making more of an effort this time around to tell a story. All developers should allow you to skip cutscenes though for the people who just don't want that.

I think having voice acting in a Zelda game is progress and not moving backwards. After BoTW, we will want voice acting in our Zelda games going forward.

Caelus

I did but I didn't get the feeling it was more story driven than Skyward Sword. To me it looks like the game will give the player too much freedom to have a lot of story.

Yeah it's not story driven inso far as the narrative is present every step of the way, but the set up of the game's narrative is heavily based on the events that happened 100 years ago, and this curiosity fuels a part of exploration.

Gravidee

Voice acting has been long overdue. It should have been in WW due to the cartoony graphics, and it just felt super awkward in TP and SS when you had character's mouth flaps moving but nothing coming out. Should have been in Hyrule Warriors too.

Joei

For a game that seems to emphasize minimalization on story and conjure LoZ1 comparisons, there sure are a hell of a lot of NPCs.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zelda games since ALttP, and especially OoT, have always had stories and pretty great ones too. The big difference is that Zelda has generally been very low on narrative. The games allow the player to experience and take in the story without a ton of explicit and direct story events or dialogue. One of the reasons I find SS to be the weakest Zelda is because of it's over reliance and extremely clunky dialogue and cutscenes.

OoT, MM and WW showed that you can have very satisfying and emotional stories in your game without relying on much dialogue and mostly through well choreographed and short cutscenes. They used the character's body language, facial expressions and a whole slew of cinematic techniques with framing, lighting and most importantly sound to help convey to players what was going on in a scene.

TP really pushed the limits for me on the amount of exposition and cutscenes you could or should have in a Zelda game. SS overstepped those bounds too much. There was an interesting story and really likable characters, but it was far too narrative heavy for a Zelda game.

I hope with VA they can balance things out in BotW. Not having a VA has been a strength for the stories in the series thus far as it limits just how much dialogue you can have before you bore the player, which SS often showed and did. Hopefully they've kept things short and have only what they need.

...Personally, I hope Miyamoto wasn't as involved with the script and he stays far, far away from the story if it's presented to be "complex". He's got his reasons which I respect but I hope he's only helped out on the gameplay.

I'd like to hear all these terrible ideas Miyamoto had with Zelda in the past.

The journalist at Time, Matt Peckham, asked a related question in this interview (in relation to the Switch), and also included a link for those reading online:
Matt Peckham: I know you weren't as personally involved with Switch's development, but were there any tables flipped?

If you follow Peckham's ‘tables flipped’ link, there’s an extended comment from Aonuma:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012032...tea-table-is-quite-necessary-for-development/
Nintendo's legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto has talked numerous times about a process that he refers to as "upending the tea table" in which he essentially turns a development project on its head, forcing the team to radically change certain ideas or features in a game that they probably weren't expecting to alter or throw out. IndustryGamers  sat down with Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma back at E3 to discuss his feelings towards this process and what it's like to work with Miyamoto-san when he comes to a development team to shake things up.

Interestingly, Aonuma doesn't get annoyed with the process, even if it means that Zelda features or ideas he liked have to be thrown away.

"Well, back at GDC, when that conversation was presented, I think it painted a picture of Mr. Miyamoto’s role inside the company as coming in and being a really disruptive force in the development process, but I view it a very different way and I think a lot of people do. It’s that his time to come in and flip things on their head is part of the development timeline. It’s an event that happens. It’s almost a ritual in that sense," Aonuma-san explained to us.

He continued, "And it’s a necessary process, because I find that when he offers that feedback, a lot of the time, he points out things that I, myself, was having trouble with and maybe felt that I couldn’t solve or didn’t have a good time for or felt like we didn’t have the time for and he comes in and really gives focus to everything. So I’d really like to reinforce that fact that I don’t view the process that people refer to as 'upending the tea table' as something unpleasant. It’s actually quite necessary and useful."

See also:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/twilight_princess/0/6
Iwata: There are always any number of things in the development area that you know could be improved, but that aren't easy to change right away. The staff have brought this up in previous interviews but when Miyamoto-san suggests a change to something they felt was already too late to change, they would realise that something had to be fixed and would find themselves able to get it done. There's that kind of gratitude towards Miyamoto-san...

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/twilight_princess/0/3
Iwata: One thing I have always admired about Miyamoto-san is how incredible he is at coming up with ideas that make use of the existing materials when he makes his criticisms. Most people who upend tables are more likely to throw away those materials, but Miyamoto-san is very aware of how wasteful that is. Even if his suggestion means that something can't be used in the same place anymore, he makes other suggestions about where else it can be used... It's another thing about him that doesn't really match the image that is portrayed by the phrase "upending the tea table."

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/twilight_princess/0/4
Aonuma: ...So, for instance early on in the development process, when young developers encounter Miyamoto-san's input from the outside, a lot of them probably think things like: "Do we really have to pay attention to such tiny details?" or "Surely we don't have to worry that much about something like that?" However, when everything starts fitting together into its final form, they understand what he was doing and they'll say: "Ah, I get it! It turns out this way, so we really did need to do that from the start!" When they were working on making the game, they couldn't see this...

Someone mentioned this but...

The last "tea table upending" I remember Miyamoto doing is this:

Tominaga: Without letting myself be constrained by the world of The Legend of Zelda, I made a few small dungeons with entering-the-wall ideas I came up with, and then about May of 2012, I presented them to Miyamoto-san saying that I would be making 50 more of these dungeons where you used the entering-walls ability.

Iwata: What was Miyamoto-san's reaction?

Tominaga: He tore it up! (laughs)

Shikata: Again! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs) Tominaga But he didn't just criticize, he also gave us a hint. He suggested basing it on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Iwata: That was when A Link to the Past first came into the picture?

Tominaga: Yes. And right after Aonuma-san said, "What if we base it on A Link to the Past, and try pairing entering walls with a point of view looking down from directly overhead?"

Iwata: So you based it on A Link to the Past because of suggestions from Miyamoto-san and Aonuma-san?

Tominaga: Yes.

Aonuma: Actually, Miyamoto-san had been challenging me to do something ever since the Nintendo 3DS came out. He suggested making a 2D Zelda game like A Link to the Past playable in stereoscopic 3D.

ALBW was originally supposed to be a bunch of bite sized mini dungeons before Miyamoto told them to start over and make it a game like LttP... and the focus was on showing off the hardware functionality, like with Star Fox.

Stuff like this, or the thing quoted earlier in the thread where Miyamoto actually did oversee and approve the Splatoon designs that Kyle [Bosman] implied that Miyamoto would hate and veto because he's an old dumb-dumb, is what gets me about trying to turn Miyamoto into a living avatar of old outdated ideas: every bad idea has to be his direct fault, and every good idea he has to have nothing to do with, even though he supervises like every internally made Nintendo game. If there's something you loved about one of those, Miyamoto at the very least probably signed off on it; he wasn't tricked or forced, you just didn't get a news story about it.

How about Splatoon, where he was General Producer? The "garage" developers showed Miyamoto the "tofu" prototype [back in 2013], and Miyamoto didn't get the appeal for the game, because the characters couldn't jump (or hide in ink or anything that became the essential parts of Splatoon's gameplay).

Many Splatoon players today would probably agree that Miyamoto was right (that jumping and unique gameplay is essential for Splatoon), and that his remarks (that forced the developers back to the design table) was a part of Splatoon's later success. But one part of the internet of course interpreted his remarks as Miyamoto "not getting the appeal of Splatoon"...

...I don't understand why people focus so hard on the times he 'flipped the tea table' and the game did not turn out as they would want. There have been plenty of stories, often posted above in this thread, of positive 'flippings.' It really boggles the mind how people zero in on Wii Music, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and now Star Fox Zero to the exclusion of all other evidence. Why?! It is a cynical, reductive take on things and I can't help but think that is precisely why it is common on the internet.

I'd also not be surprised if a lot of it is misfired criticism of Nintendo's wider software programs leveled at Miyamoto because he is the obvious mascot, especially since Iwata's passing... Also, the most extreme posts in here that claim that this is vindication that they are right and he never was a genius...I'll give you that a lot of coming up with good ideas is right place, right time, and the right thing strikes you and that you can get ahead of that curve by building on previous 'intellectual luck' but Miyamoto has a lot of stuff to his name and if anyone in the industry is or was a genius, Miyamoto is...

I'm saying this as someone who was done with Paper Mario after Super Paper Mario let alone Sticker Star. I do like Star Fox Zero though, but I think it needs a couple more levels for better alternate routes in Arcade Mode.

...I have to admit this witch hunt-esque mentality to him as of late is fascinating to study. It manages to be scary, funny and sad all at once.

Also: 3D Mario over the years

Ghgghggh

Banned
Miyamoto is genius. I don't know how people can discredit him as I've seen done here the last few years. I think this is a cultural problem of disrespect and devaluation of older people and it needs to stop.

Ooccoo

Miyamoto is genius. I don't know how people can discredit him as I've seen done here the last few years. I think this is a cultural problem of disrespect and devaluation of older people and it needs to stop.

Not sure if serious

Miyamoto's input as a game designer has been awful for the last decade+.

Nairume

Banned
Not sure if serious

Miyamoto's input as a game designer has been awful for the last decade+.
Except we have examples on this very page where Miyamoto's input quite had very positive impacts on some of the most beloved games they've recently put out.

Top Bottom