• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espada

I have to agree with people saying the
back to back Umi-Bozu and Giant Centipede
stuff was a downer on the game. Two of the least interesting and boring bosses in the game in consecutive stages. It doesn't help that The Ocean Roars Again is a crap stage centered entirely around killing you off with drowning. Hell, I never even drowned and came away with a distinctly negative impression of that stage.

The mines were definitely much better because you could turn off the environmental danger easily (and permanently), and the stage itself is actually pretty short.

I also don't get Soul Matching. The prices are just ridiculous for what it offers you (apparently, it goes up to around 9 million gold!?), when you'll just find better stuff in 5 minutes anyway. Some of this stuff just doesn't feel very well thought out at all.

Hey, you've already made up your mind, but you've absolutely got the wrong idea about soul matching at the very least, and you're doing it wrong.

So few questions

1. Is there a smithing text for the london heavy armor set?

And in the sequel, what changes would you guys make to the battle system?

Personally Id like it to be closer (not fully mind you) to character action games like DMC, Bayo in that moves were cancelable into dodge or block. I say this because TN obviously want to have us fight multiple enemies at once and I find this system would work better while other changes could be made to keep it at a higher difficulty.

Baalzebup

I also don't get Soul Matching. The prices are just ridiculous for what it offers you (apparently, it goes up to around 9 million gold!?), when you'll just find better stuff in 5 minutes anyway. Some of this stuff just doesn't feel very well thought out at all.
The prices accumulate with further Soul Matches. One or two are fine, but the 3rd one will usually be shitty expensive and anything further than that is pure madness. Using it wisely can make any single good weapon last for 3 or 4 stages. I usually got a purple, re-forged it a bit and transferred something good to it, then later gave it a level upgrade of 10~ levels and then replaced it after that upgraded version got old. The feature works just fine once you understand the bottom mechanics of it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So what's the benefit of lighting all the torches on the water stage?

Please tell me it weakens the boss somehow...
Keeps the annoying
3 water blobs to spawn with the boss as long as you don't use the fires to light up your weapon till the second stage of the boss ie half health down or more.

Espada

During the fight
Mini Bozos (I will call them bozos and you cannot stop me)
will attempt to jump onto the stage to help the big guy. The fire kills them off, this is why you sometimes find loot near them.

You can use the fire to buff your sword with the element (it's a pretty big buff and lasts longer than the talismans), but it extinguishes the fire you used.

Freeman76

I almost forgot about the area from the last chance demo, it turned up way later than expected.

My stat distribution is such a mess, I picked up some neat dual swords and decided to use them as a secondary once again after using the spear for most of the game so that meant burning samurai points into the Dual swords, so wasteful, I sometimes consider using the book to respec but my character is surviving fine so i'll just roll with it.

Thats another area where this game excels. It doesnt really matter as there is no bullshit level matchmaking so you cant outlevel yourself from meeting up with others. I love not having to restrict myself to level 125 if i want to play co op just because of pvp or some shit. I hope this doesnt change because its one of the reasons I can see myself preferring this game over its peers in the end, its far more flexible.

Baalzebup

They kill
the adds that would otherwise spawn into the stage.
For each one you don't light, you get at least two of the smaller blobs in the arena. One in the beginning and one later one.
You can also walk up to one and interact with it to get a decently long lasting fire buff for your weapon, but that puts out the fire and thus enables
further blob spawns.

Keeps the annoying
3 water blobs to spawn with the boss as long as you don't use the fires to light up your weapon till the second stage of the boss ie half health down or more.

During the fight
Mini Bozos (I will call them bozos and you cannot stop me)
will attempt to jump onto the stage to help the big guy. The fire kills them off, this is why you sometimes find loot near them.

You can use the fire to buff your sword with the element (it's a pretty big buff and lasts longer than the talismans), but it extinguishes the fire you used.

They kill the adds that would otherwise spawn into the stage. For each one you don't light, you get at least two of the smaller blobs in the arena. One in the beginning and one later one. You can also walk up to one and interact with it to get a decently long lasting fire buff for your weapon, but that puts out the fire and thus enables further blob spawns.
Awesome! I was hoping it was this, as I accidentally ran into the boss arena early before finishing my exploration.

JJShadow

Oh boy, here we go... So, uh, I know I'm really in the minority here, but I'm kinda disappointed with this game so far, honestly. It's got fantastic combat, and from a purely mechanical perspective, I'd say it's the best action game on PS4, but it's just so damn repetitive. I'm over 30 hours in now, in region 4, and I'm still fighting the same enemy types I fought back in the first (well, technically second) level. The lack of enemy variety is really grating at this point, and honestly, the game is starting to feel like a real drag. There are new enemy types introduced every once in awhile, but then they quickly take a backseat to the same random spear dudes and axe Yokai I've been fighting since the beginning.

It's not the game's only problem either. The encounter design is also lacking to me. Rarely does the game try to surprise you with an interesting or challenging combination of enemies. It seem fascinated to a fault with one on one encounters, which are great at first, but ultimately get boring once you've fought every enemy fifty times and learned their moveset by heart. Also, most of the side missions feel like filler, placing you in the same areas you were just in to fight the same enemies all over again. There are some real highlights in the side content (like a few tense Samurai duels, or tense encounters on a bridge with holes everywhere), but most of it feels kinda tacked on.

It ain't all bad. Mechanically, Nioh is brilliant, the boss fights are consistently excellent and challenging, and I do generally enjoy the level design in the main story missions. But, the lack of enemy variety, the (mostly) uninspired encounter design, and the (mostly) dull side missions are all major sore points for me that are seriously impacting my enjoyment of the game.

Does the game pick up at all in it's second half? Does it become less repetitive? Are there tons of new enemy types and cool encounters coming up? It just feels like I've seen everything the game has to offer at this point a hundred times over, at what is apparently only the halfway point. I don't outright hate the game, but at this point, I definitely don't feel as enthusiastic about as I did, initially.

Oh, I hate the loot system/drop rates with a burning passion, but my post was getting long and negative enough as it is, haha. I also don't get Soul Matching. The prices are just ridiculous for what it offers you (apparently, it goes up to around 9 million gold!?), when you'll just find better stuff in 5 minutes anyway. Some of this stuff just doesn't feel very well thought out at all.

I completely agree with your points, I'm about to start region 4 and the lack of enemy variety and the "unbalanced" loot system are starting to impact my enjoyment of the game. My main problem is maybe the loot system: it's fucking excessive the amount of stuff the game throws at you, to the point that nothing feels really special anymore. Moreover, I'm starting to realize that the best way to get better equipment is just by killing revenants some levels ahead of you over and over again, it's been ages since I got a nice weapon/armor from completing a mission

(And don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game quite a lot and it's gonna be one of favourite games of this year)

Freeman76

Why the hell are smithing text so rare, battle li over 100x today and nothing with high luck and human drop rate.

I know I will get slaughtered for saying this, but I love that about it. It reminds me of PSO where (until it was hacked to fuck) you wouldnt see everyone with the same shit because of hiw rare the drops were.

Its also nice not to have all the best shit in a week and still have things to go for long term, those gameplay hooks keep me playing for ages lol.

xuchu

Question about the crusher titles. Just did
Honda Tadakatsu
and
Hino-Enma
no hit but in their sub-missions. Didn't get the title and I've done
Honda
at least twice. Does it have to their respective main missions.
I got the nue crusher one in the white tiger level though but that was a main mission. Honda crusher can't be two kings no hit can it?

I seem to have encountered some glitch, where an enemy was stuck in a stairwell and is now just feeding me unlimited Amrita after I killed it.

Good to know you can hold more than a million Amrita

Question about the crusher titles. Just did and no hit but in their sub-missions. Didn't get the title and I've done at least twice. Does it have to their respective main missions.

Hino-enma crusher worked for me in her actual level. Honda crusher, I assume has to be in the shit castle level but I haven't gone back to check.

xuchu

Hino-enma crusher worked for me in her actual level. Honda crusher, I assume has to be in the shit castle level but I haven't gone back to check.

Yeah I'll quickly speed run mission 2 and test. For Honda crusher I assume you can't just break the crystals, cos I've done that on my casual playthrough and remember not getting hit.

Argh and that means Saika crusher has to be in the fire version of it. Actually like that fight but not in that arena.

Edit: yes it is main missions only, I assume you get them quickly in the
boss rush
part of the last mission as well.

zewone

2626 glory / 277,903 amrita / 8415 (meh) gold for full Twilight Ogress level with a random co-op partner.

Way faster ways to get amrita, but it's fun helping people who want help.

How do you do Twilight Missions with randoms?

I couldn't find the option in the Torii Gate

kc44135

The prices accumulate with further Soul Matches. One or two are fine, but the 3rd one will usually be shitty expensive and anything further than that is pure madness. Using it wisely can make any single good weapon last for 3 or 4 stages. I usually got a purple, re-forged it a bit and transferred something good to it, then later gave it a level upgrade of 10~ levels and then replaced it after that upgraded version got old. The feature works just fine once you understand the bottom mechanics of it.
Alright, I think I kinda get how it works now. I still don't really see there being much of a point to it when you constantly get better stuff other ways for free (I've mostly been killing higher lvl Revenants for good stuff, which I admittedly think is one the coolest features of the game) but at least it makes more sense to me. Thx for explaining it to me, Baalzebup.

zewone

Alright, I think I kinda get how it works now. I still don't really see there being much of a point to it when you constantly get better stuff other ways for free (I've mostly been killing higher lvl Revenants for good stuff, which I admittedly think is one the coolest features of the game) but at least it makes more sense to me. Thx for explaining it to me, Baalzebup.

Soul Match is probably best used in NG+ when you find a weapon worth using in the end game and you want to transfer perks from other weapons to it.

SephiZack

You have to manually select the mission from there, or select the twilight mission on the map and then press SQUARE. I don't think you can select "twilight missions" in general, only the specific one

Melchior

This game is a god damn blessing I love it so much. Going to start region 6 tonight. I made the mistake of looking at the death count because now I'm obsessed with beating the game and all side missions/dojo under 300. Currently at 218 hope I can make it. Just praying that region 6 doesn't have any crazy side missions or anything

Press X on the mission, then look at the bottom of your screen. Should be an option that says "Become a Visitor" if you press square. I think you have to have cleared the mission yourself (or as the host) first.

zewone

This game is a god damn blessing I love it so much. Going to start region 6 tonight. I made the mistake of looking at the death count because now I'm obsessed with beating the game and all side missions/dojo under 300. Currently at 218 hope I can make it. Just praying that region 6 doesn't have any crazy side missions or anything
It has crazy side missions. 😅

because you can transfer mods to another weapon.

example.

I got a sword with the mod Change attack to Skill A- (which makes my damage scale with skill) and put it on my spear via soul matching. So now, not only does my spear scale with Body, it now scales with Skill. Which is perfect because I use skill for my dual swords. So i'm double dipping. And ideally id like to find a Body mod, and throw it on my duals.

I can basically keep this spear forever and keep transferring the mod to other weapons OR i can soul match every few missions to keep the costs down and my spear up to date.

Jb

example.

I got a sword with the mod Change attack to Skill A- (which makes my damage scale with skill) and put it on my spear via soul matching. So now, not only does my spear scale with Body, it now scales with Skill. Which is perfect because I use skill for my dual swords. So i'm double dipping. And ideally id like to find a Body mod, and throw it on my duals.

I can basically keep this spear forever and keep transferring the mod to other weapons OR i can soul match every few missions to keep the costs down and my spear up to date.

Thanks for the explanation I also wasn't quite clear on why I should bother with this stuff.

Is this where people are spending their cash? I'm sitting on 400k and I don't see anything worth buying at the Forge so far.

kc44135

I completely agree with your points, I'm about to start region 4 and the lack of enemy variety and the "unbalanced" loot system are starting to impact my enjoyment of the game. My main problem is maybe the loot system: it's fucking excessive the amount of stuff the game throws at you, to the point that nothing feels really special anymore. Moreover, I'm starting to realize that the best way to get better equipment is just by killing revenants some levels ahead of you over and over again, it's been ages since I got a nice weapon/armor from completing a mission

(And don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game quite a lot and it's gonna be one of favourite games of this year)
Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the loot system. I agree that the amount of gear you'll get just for playing through a level normally is really excessive, and it can definitely tedious sifting through it all (I'm aware of the various sorting options, but there's still a lot of junk to sort through at times). This kinda loot system where you're just constantly getting new stuff really isn't my thing, although it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game as much as the other things I've mentioned. Also, we have the same strategy for getting better gear it seems, lol.
Soul Match is probably best used in NG+ when you find a weapon worth using in the end game and you want to transfer perks from other weapons to it.
Yeah, I suppose that Soul Matching would make more sense in the end game.

Thanks for the explanation I also wasn't quite clear on why I should bother with this stuff.

Is this where people are spending their cash? I'm sitting on 400k and I don't see anything worth buying at the Forge so far.

I spend a lot of gold forging armor and weapons to keep up to date. So now when i forge a new spear, ill throw that Skill scaling mod on it. Not only that, but I spend a ton of gold reforging mods on my weapons. (these vary in rarity as well, white, blue, yellow etc) If i get mods I dont like, I keep rerolling them until I get something I like. I do this with all my pieces of armor to maximize life, ki etc. The higher the level the more it costs. So it adds up really quick.

like i said, if you keep up with it, soul matching barely costs anything.

I had a good laugh when I had a level 15 weapon and to soul match it to level 110 cost me 4 million gold.

soul matching one or two levels costs nothing

Mentok

Banned
Why the hell are smithing text so rare, battle li over 100x today and nothing with high luck and human drop rate.
Seriously....two hours of an easy fight and still no kusarigama text. It almost doesn't seem worth it and makes me fear making a new build.

How are people maxing familiarity in every weapon so fast (for the mystic arts trophies)?

Tomeru

I've just noticed I was neglecting my accessories... There is just too much information! What do you guys focus on for them?

kc44135

example.

Ohhh, I didn't realize there were effects that could change scaling on weapons. Yeah, I could see the benefit of that. Y'all have definitely put me in my place with regards to Soul Matching.

Ohhh, I didn't realize there were effects that could change scaling on weapons. Yeah, I could see the benefit of that. Y'all have definitely put me in my place with regards to Soul Matching.

yeah its really cool. double dipping on weapon scaling is huge. There are a lot of things at play with this game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
;_; fake tachibana was so shit at level one...

that is of course until i figured out i could knock him down with an arrow shot to the face when he is in his stance to do his special attack(the one where he makes his sword go in a circle), then you can just run up and do a finisher.

I might be making it harder on myself cause i have not unlocked any special techniques either, but i am determined

Baalzebup

I've just noticed I was neglecting my accessories... There is just too much information! What do you guys focus on for them?
Luck, Item drop rate upgrades and Kodama Sense for the missions where there are Kodama to find. I find most of the other stuff mostly superfluous, though the Prayer Bead ones with all their anti-Yokai upgrades can be really useful for those tough Yokai bosses if you're having a hard time with them. Depending on the type, the latter ones can give you something like 20+% more damage vs Yokai or 20% less incoming damage from Yokai if you get two of the same type.

zewone

Seriously....two hours of an easy fight and still no kusarigama text. It almost doesn't seem worth it and makes me fear making a new build.

How are people maxing familiarity in every weapon so fast (for the mystic arts trophies)?

High level enemies give more familiarity.

You can go from 0-500,000 in 30 minutes on the first level of NG+.

I just had a fucking fantastic bug/glitch happen while helping a random on Twilight Ogress.

Uploading video now. I think you guys will like this :D.

xuchu

;_; fake tachibana was so shit at level one...

that is of course until i figured out i could knock him down with an arrow shot to the face when he is in his stance to do his special attack(the one where he makes his sword go in a circle), then you can just run up and do a finisher.

I might be making it harder on myself cause i have not unlocked any special techniques either, but i am determined

I would suggest even at level 1, you should unlock skills and techniques. It's where the game shines in that you don't actually need levels or exp to unlock and use skills as there are lots of consumables that give skill points in the form of locks of hair. There's lots of good tech like sheath cancelling into ki damaging skills like kick and heaven flash that will make hard fights at lvl 1 just a little bit more manageable. He is consistently parryable and you can use a fully charged Iai-strike usually facing him from behind to do insane damage when he is grounded and then follow up with a finisher.

Nonetheless, kudos for the level 1 especially on first playthrough. Joe Fenix on twitch also did level 1 his first playthrough, albeit he did get skills, if you want some tips from someone who has completed the game level 1. I imagine doing fights without skills will force you to come up with innovative ways of dealing with enemies like using the bow when he is charging. Did not know that.

Tomeru

Luck, Item drop rate upgrades and Kodama Sense for the missions where there are Kodama to find. I find most of the other stuff mostly superfluous, though the Prayer Bead ones with all their anti-Yokai upgrades can be really useful for those tough Yokai bosses if you're having a hard time with them. Depending on the type, the latter ones can give you something like 20+% more damage vs Yokai or 20% less incoming damage from Yokai if you get two of the same type.

I've gotten so many and sold so many without even looking...

Another one: What are the three little bells icon to the left of the defensive multi on armor?

Fisty

Quick question, probably answered a million times already

Do bosses respawn after you beat them? Is it possible to replay a level on the same playthrough and fight them again?

Tomeru

weight class

1 'bell' = light
2 'bells' = medium
3 'bells' = heavy

Ok that's it for me. I should've figured it out by myself. Playing too fucking much, it's getting to how much I put into Demons' souls. Fatigue is kicking in at critical levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom