• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalzebup

is it better to forge an armor or soulmatch it, at least in my case i wanna use the Nioh Set from the pre-order dlc which is level 6, i love the close combat bonuses so that's why i went Shimazu clan
(and the tv series Drifters lol)
instead of that clan with 10% gold/amrita
You'll have to give up Soul Matching the initial armors eventually, as repeated Soul Matching of the same object makes the prices skyrocket after a while. In general, Soul Matching a single item more than 3 times is lunacy.

The end game Divine tier items are free of this though, but they are a bit different from all the others.

M.W.

I've been given some tips on Hino-enma but am still having a hard time defeating her. I'll have to check out some youtube vids I guess. Trying to be patient, but goddamn is she a bitch.

Silvard

Well, firstly, there are also mid life drain/high life drain, etc., so those effects might be higher than what general CC life drain gives you, but apparently you tested the skill for 20-30 minutes? I mean I dont want to discount your argument, but I am playing with mid life drain for the past 10 hours or so and it absolutely makes a difference. Most stretches of levels have plenty of small fry enemies in between, and 5 trash mobs fill the gauge 1/3 up or so. Combine that with another life drain bonus from an equipment for grapple attacks and you can make a very significant amount of health just by draining.

Its not a be all end all skill and doesnt help much for boss fights, but its useful.

The values are roughly the same, around 20. Are you on NG or NG+? The reason why trash mobs don't fill that much for me is because I kill them in few hits. I tested it by taking one hit at the start of the NG+ bandit mission, taking off 1/3rd of my HP, and going through the entire mission without taking any more damage again. I only got back like 20% after killing everything in my path.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The values are roughly the same, around 20. Are you on NG or NG+? The reason why trash mobs don't fill that much for me is because I kill them in few hits. I tested it by taking one hit at the start of the NG+ bandit mission, taking off 1/3rd of my HP, and going through the entire mission without taking any more damage again. I only got back like 20% after killing everything in my path.

Last level of my first playthrough, I have augmented it atm with the grapple boost and maybe another equip boost, but I cant check atm.

Can anyone explain to me why armour pieces don't always fulfil the set bonus? Is it because they have to be within the same level range?

Are you fulfilling the armor requirements?

Forging will be much cheaper later in the game, so its mostly forging for new stuff.

You'll have to give up Soul Matching the initial armors eventually, as repeated Soul Matching of the same object makes the prices skyrocket after a while. In general, Soul Matching a single item more than 3 times is lunacy.

The end game Divine tier items are free of this though, but they are a bit different from all the others.

yeah i figured, the first soul match to some same color level 50 something sets just the helmet alone was asking me 150K so that's why i was considering forging new sets (i have the smith texts)

just a question about forging, i notice it gives you percentages to the rarity they can be. can i improve the percentage let's say of purple if i get more purple ingredients?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Here's the thing though: nearly everything you just described that supposedly helps push Nioh's loot past a numbers game, is already innately available through other means. Better loot will make matters easier to perform, sure, but it's not some new concept (minor or otherwise) that was previously unavailable or wholly created by it. The actual precise finetuning comes from every other core system separated from the loot, with the loot itself merely being complimentary to those on a relatively small scale. Meanwhile the ranged abilities you could fixate yourself on are superficial in execution: lock on, push a button after the lenient positioning aspect lines up. Exciting stuff compared to Nioh's melee or Dragon's Dogma ranged combat, nor is it a playstyle that can be exclusively utilized in sizeable missions (in line with the player character's level) like the story ones like you could in Diablo-esque RPG's.

Also: the difference in how the gameplay (micro-management vs up-close and personal) functions doesn't matter here - the dexterity the former can require is up for further debate - since I'm only dissecting in which ways the loot specifically widens the playing field. Nioh's just... doesn't do that at all outside of basic number-crunching.

I can see where you are coming from with this, but from the other stuff you posted I get the impression that you might just be... too good. The skills and especially the amalgamation of effects from different skill sets makes a huge difference for me and how I can approach different bosses/levels. You are basically saying that the loot system and any part doesnt matter as it doesnt change anything. Taking out a single skill from my armor set could lead to me having SEVERE issues with boss fights (mostly the 30% dmg bonus from electrifying). Similarly, there are other fights, which I'd have easily lost with more KI usage.

I think those effects and the stacking of effects is very useful and if you put in the time can have stupidly helpful stacked effects, but as you rightly pointed out they are not needed to finish the game if you are good enough anyway. Guess if you already breeze through the game without much trouble, the effects do feel miniscule to you, but they absolutely dont for me.

Fbh

So.
As someone who played through all souls games with a pure dex build and has invested mostly in skill and heart so far.

Are Ninjustu or magic worth looking into in this?. Do hybrid builds (not losing focus on melee fighting) work well ?

Toma

So.
As someone who played through all souls games with a pure dex build and has invested mostly in skill and heart so far.

Are Ninjustu or magic worth looking into in this?. Do hybrid builds (not losing focus on melee fighting) work well ?

Absolutely. I dont think only NInjutsu or only Magic even works, but focus on melee fighting and using skills/magic to enhance combat abilities is intended.

FrankWza

I've been given some tips on Hino-enma but am still having a hard time defeating her. I'll have to check out some youtube vids I guess. Trying to be patient, but goddamn is she a bitch.

Did you set up your armor? Anti paralysis. Also, try a spear. I think she always tries a grab after she gets knocked down too. And listen for her sounds to give away movement.

Baalzebup

yeah i figured, the first soul match to some same color level 50 something sets just the helmet alone was asking me 150K so that's why i was considering forging new sets (i have the smith texts)

just a question about forging, i notice it gives you percentages to the rarity they can be. can i improve the percentage let's say of purple if i get more purple ingredients?
The purple ingredients do increase it, yes, and it can be boosted a bit later on when you get the smith some magical flame doodaa, but your chances of a purple will still remain in the upper 30%% even at best (with Divine Fragment forging being, again, the exception to this). Note that the smith will always default to using as high quality ingredients as possible.

SDCowboy

If I main a spear, what are the top stats I should be leveling? I feel like I'm doing crap damage, even though I'm well above the mission level.

i got Raikiri from beating 4th mission 1st region.

Mission 4: The Spirit Stone Slumbers

it has lighting imbused? good weapon?

skill to unlock "back stab" and ki pulse evade?

The purple ingredients do increase it, yes, and it can be boosted a bit later on when you get the smith some magical flame doodaa, but your chances of a purple will still remain in the upper 30%% even at best (with Divine Fragment forging being, again, the exception to this). Note that the smith will always default to using as high quality ingredients as possible.

i see, thanks for the replies. i guess in the meantime im gonna farm revenants

CDV13

I had the most trouble with
Nue
so far. But when i realized how to beat him i was just shaking my head on how easy it should have been.

Yea he whooped me too. I can't tell you how many times I died to the 2nd main boss....just kept getting her health way down and then would mess up and blow it. That fight should have been so easy, I was making it difficult for sure.

Silvard

Last level of my first playthrough, I have augmented it atm with the grapple boost and maybe another equip boost, but I cant check atm.

Are you fulfilling the armor requirements?

Ah, whatever. I'll keep it, I can't think anything else I'd rather have (except for maybe Close Combat Life Recovery, but this looks nicer I suppose).

Raven77

Is the enemy variety really as lacking / bad as I keep hearing? I am diving into this game this weekend but have only played like 20 minutes of the tutorial dungeon London opening so far.

myco666

If I main a spear, what are the top stats I should be leveling? I feel like I'm doing crap damage, even though I'm well above the mission level.

Body but apparently scaling doesn't really matter. Where are you and what makes you think you do crap damage?

i got Raikiri from beating 4th mission 1st region.

Mission 4: The Spirit Stone Slumbers

it has lighting imbused? good weapon?

skill to unlock "back stab" and ki pulse evade?

Probably is a good weapon but you should check the stats since I think even that is rolled by the game on random.

Ki pulse evade is something I would call mandatory. Backstab is nice too but I hardly use it.

Baalzebup

Is the enemy variety really as lacking / bad as I keep hearing? I am diving into this game this weekend but have only played like 20 minutes of the tutorial dungeon London opening so far.
The bosses are pretty varied bunch, but the basic enemy types are admittedly pretty meh in variety. You'll run into some re-colors and minor variations, but there aren't really all that many different standard gribblies in the game.

shtolky

Not sure what weapon you are using, but the Random Slice using Dual Katana's worked wonders for me. The move, if done properly (making sure you are lined up with the boss) does a ton of damage and staggers her quite a bit. I would dodge her paralysis attacks, wait for her to do some melee moves on the ground, and do a Random Slice. I don't even think I had LW available for that fight.

SephiZack

Yep this one is definitely faster, although drops are +3 or +4 for me

EDIT: And now a +5. I guess this has +3 to +5, the other has +4 to +6

Ogawa-san

That elixir counter in NG+ two kings is a waste of UI space, completely unnecessary.

And I don't even know why I'm wasting time with it when the best gear comes from a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom