• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

So, I started Dungeon Meshi. It's pretty good. A lot of text but I still find the attention to detail very interesting. Also, I really like all the members of the party. A lot of deadpan expressions and Marsilla's reactions are always good. I hope the rumors of an anime adaptation are true.

Also, I read about 10 chapters of Kumo desu ga, nani ka?, the one about the girl transforming to a spider in a fantasy world. It's actually better than I expected. Similar premise to the one with the Slime, but the execution seems more interesting. Instead of turning her to a hero, she's basically a low level monster.

Yeah, I kept following Kumo desu Ga because it was better than it's premise would lead you to believe. She uses tactics and relatively low level skills to overcome trash mobs that would wreck her which is much more entertaining than if she was Godmode Spider.

This is such a weird train of thought

Even though I sincerely disliked the first chapter of U19 or whatever it's called, a lot of shit this dude says is nonsensical. It's best just to kinda nod and back away.

Ye gods I haven't read too much this weekend, thought I'd catch up on stuff since I'm stuck healing from my wisdom teeth getting out but the pain is so bad I'm kinda just lying in bed all day.

Poro's Diaries 1

Ok let's start with the fact that this was absolutely amazing! The art OH MY GOD
5e6815d760bd244a5f06291699c58296.jpg
26fbf388e09d920010eb1c0f57a3b9a2.jpg

The few actions scenes we had were TREMENDOUS! The COMEDY was GOLD! Poro is the most likeable(that fanboy attitude, his strong desire to fit in, the shyness!), cool and awesome demon prince EVER! I love the how well emotions are portrayed too.

Absolutely solid chapter 1! I AM SO SOLD!

Best JUMP START yet!

Poro's Diary 1

This isn't my thing, its basically one punch man with a fish out of water character who's a demon. Most of the comedy fell completely flat and had it not been for that one moment when Poro got serious I would have completely written this off. Series seems like it's kept the back door open in case it wants to become complete shonen shit.

This is easily the worst jump start so far

Poro's Diary 1
C5H7S4gW8AAFsMy.jpg:large

Maybe tied with U19 for the best of the new manga. Having a male best friend thats powerful right off and an ultra powerful demon too was surprising. And the comedy is all around hilarious, especially some of the little comments on the side or some of the things in the background. TeamYuta.
C5H8BogWcAAXtZN.jpg:large

Viz Shonen Jump 2/20

One Piece

Classic OP moment, still brings the hype no matter how often they happen.

Food Wars

Was an alright chapter, seems like Erina is getting the most out of this training so far despite being the most talented.

Promised Neverland

The kids are being rather short sighted with this plan to break Ray's arm since odds are Mom will then just send out Don or Guilda to replace Norman. The flash back next week might give us some juicy details, and we still haven't found the pen yet.

U19

The pacing of these chapters is interesting it's very clearly 1 anime episode broken across 3 chapters with next week being our climax of the episode where we see our hero use his powers for the first time. I'm not really sure if this pacing is gonna work for shonen jump since we've still not gotten that hook since it'll likely be at the end of chapter 3. I liked the confession scene u19 has done a good job of making the leads really likeable one of the better done romances I can think of in an early shonen jump manga.

We Never Learn

So now we have the sister who likes the brother, and I know that they teased ANOTHER girl next week. Despite this descending into harem crap I still think it works well enough, the characters are fairly well written and the art is very clean.

Black Clover

Glad the witch queen is finally making her move and that the "oh asta's arm was easily healed" plot line actually has some consequence of how easy it was.

My Hero Academia

I'm really enjoying this plot line and where its going. Introducing the guy who arguably should have been all might's successor and having Deku prove why he was chosen is a really logical story progression after his fight with Bakugo.

U 19 2

Im glad the awakening wasnt put into the first chapter, or even as its conclusion, but the pacing feels a bit too fast. Could have had his awakening and resolution all be in chp 3, while this just be a chapter full of despair and some hope.

Best of the serious jump series this round, but barely.

The Promised Neverland

I didnt get the feeling that theyd break Ray's arm for real or anything, unless I misunderstand what took place when their conversation transitioned from crazy funny ideas to actually plotting and wanting to stay together. Chapter made me kind of not want them all to be split apart and way from each other, Norman sacrificing himself is just as bad as Ray doing it, and even if Emma were sacrificed they couldnt be happy either. Sad.

Food Wars!
C5H-Ap5WYAI-xIl.jpg:small

Classic food wars chapter meeting expectations, obligatory sotaku image.

Final page had cool poses though.

elDLIVE 8

I creyed, moms always creying for their deceased but now alive kids always gets to me. Gucci needs to see her. The photo and forever part was sweet.

BLack Clover 98

Shouldnt the fact he holds the sword mean other magic isnt effective on him or something, or maybe if he cuts himself with it? I hope that that is where the solution to Dorksta's situation lay.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fingers are pudgy and one solid mass. I expect a lot better for a $40 figure. This looks like a 3D printed figure.

upandaway

Promised Neverland

One last moment of optimism before things get crazy it seems like. There's obviously no way that Mama will miss that possibility for Norman, he will have to really push himself to outwit her when he's undercover.

Zweizer

Banned
Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch32

What a brilliant idea. I eagerly await to see how Braveman's reputation will cope from this.

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki ch28

There's no escape (on all fronts).

mdubs

Banned
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries 1

Well, that wasn't very good. There were a couple funny moments that were ancillary to the action, but this was otherwise boring and probably headed straight to cancellation land.

5ed6652131.jpg

be3663efef4ecaba05ce9d337c0b56a1.png

Poro's Diary 1

This isn't my thing, its basically one punch man with a fish out of water character who's a demon. Most of the comedy fell completely flat and had it not been for that one moment when Poro got serious I would have completely written this off. Series seems like it's kept the back door open in case it wants to become complete shonen shit.

This is easily the worst jump start so far

I agree. This does not do this for me as a comedy series.

Revo

Demon Prince Poro's Diaries 1

Yeah, comedy not doing it for me either. Everything kinda felt awkward all the time to me.

I also get enough of the opm type battle humor from opm and enough of the japan fanatic type characters from their random appearances in other series so nothing standing out for me.

lol Poro's was the only Jump Start I actually liked.

Cept for Harem Trash: The Reimagining, but we know my long-standing weakness for harems

mdubs

Banned
U19 2

I liked this. I appreciate that this is doing the opposite of Red Sprite and Demon's Plan in terms of not revealing everything in the first couple chapters. I think a lot of how hooked I'll be on this series depends on if they can nail the first use of powers in the next chapters to make the set-up worth it and pull us into this world. The whole sewing thing is sort of odd, but hopefully it'll be used in a good way.

I feel like there could be some potential here if the broader world-building is done right soon.

I think the art is pretty good too, don't understand the complaints about it being ugly.

Ascheroth

We Never Learn 3

Oh hey, another problem student next chapter? Who would have thought?
Regardless, it's pretty cute and funny, so I wouldn't mind having it around.
The twins are adorable.

U19 2

I'll have to give the author props again for pacing and structuring.
It doesn't feel rushed or dragging, and there has been just enough of a hook at the end of every chapter that has me wanting to know what happens next.
This is basically 3 chapters for what Red Sprite, Demons Plan and Amalgam rushed out in the first chapter, and I appreciate it.
And yeah, like mdubs said, the next chapter might make or break this.

Poco's Demon Diaries

Hm, comedy was hit and miss. I liked the references, but most of the rest was miss.
The scene at the end was pretty legit, I'll still need a few chapters to see where it's going and if the mangaka can come up with interesting and fun scenarios and side-characters.

bobohoro

Hayate No Gotoku 560

Wait, did I skip a few pages? Na, scratch that, chapters? In between this chapter?
That went way fast. Kinda unexpected, since the glacial pace of the manga never ever picked up even if it felt like it was rushing towards the finale.
Hayate's father probably kidnapped Nagi and will somehow cause the negativity spike. Not sure if it won't be Hayate anymore though, dude seems to be in a rough spot all around right now.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 51

Best compatibility, I agree.

Poro's Diary 1
Went in thinking it was shotakon bait or something, but it was actually fairly entertaining. I'm surprised some people found it bad. It reminded me of FMP: Fumoffu, without being as silly, and his friend isn't quite Chidori level, but I'll keep reading it

Conan-san

U19 2

I liked this. I appreciate that this is doing the opposite of Red Sprite and Demon's Plan in terms of not revealing everything in the first couple chapters. I think a lot of how hooked I'll be on this series depends on if they can nail the first use of powers in the next chapters to make the set-up worth it and pull us into this world. The whole sewing thing is sort of odd, but hopefully it'll be used in a good way.

I feel like there could be some potential here if the broader world-building is done right soon.

I think the art is pretty good too, don't understand the complaints about it being ugly.

As a counterpoint I felt LR and RS (Poro too) having their conflicts out and there by chapter 1 allowed them to write a story whilst it had my attention.

Unless his [stand] turns out to be some DiU level instanity (and I can't see it happening because that would require a level of subtlty I don't think this comic has the means of employing) I have to say I hope Viz dumps it on it's ass and doubly so WSJ

General-san Ch32: Go General-san go!

A Devil and Her Love Song Ch80-87:
Wait? Didn't her mum get raped? And then didn't she commit suicide because of said rape? So why is she all happy family with her dad? And why is her mother's family all cool with him too? And how is he working as a priest? In an orphanage no less! Are there not laws against this?

As one can tell I'm slightly lost..

Dolls Ch81-87: So it was the brother and the not father clone donor man.

Fancolors

Poro

Another 'meh'. It's just not as funny as it needs to be. Most of the humor is based on how Poro reacts to Japanese culture and general human niceties, or how strong he is compared to everyone else and that's just... not funny or entertaining for me, which is odd, because I love both Mob and OPM and those two have similarly strong protagonists. I just didn't find it very satisfying when he wins against those two villains, whereas OPM brings out the exact opposite reaction whenever Saitama punches evil away

Overall Jump Start feelings:
We Can't Learn: Feels sorta like Nisekoi before it shat the bed after 50 or so chapters....Also a much more likable cast so far then Nisekoi. (I can see this surviving in Japan, Jump is currently missing a non-ecchi romance so this could fill that void).
U19: Still don't like this manga something about it just irks me. But this second chapter felt better to me, lets see if it sticks the landing next chapter or tumbles. (It's slow paced nature either will keep it alive this first round or kill it in Japan, I'm leaning more towards killing it. I also don't think the whole Naziesq feeling to the manga will resonate well with the Jump readers there.)
Poro: Meh. It doesn't irk me, it doesn't make me laugh, it doesn't make me feel excited, it just doesn't make me feel anything. In some ways that's worse then U19's irking me, at least it brings out some emotion from me when reading unlike this first chapter did. (I see the only way for survival for this series is to eat into Samon's and Saiki's fanbase.)

mdubs

Banned
We Never Learn 3

This made me chuckle, and I think that this manga continues to be an enjoyable and light read. All of the characters are likeable, the humour works for me.

I laughed at this scene
de3c6a2f7c.jpg

I don't think it will go on for a while, but I am content with it keeping things toasty while we await Naoshi Komi's glorious return to the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump

As a counterpoint I felt LR and RS (Poro too) having their conflicts out and there by chapter 1 allowed them to write a story whilst it had my attention.

Unless his [stand] turns out to be some DiU level instanity (and I can't see it happening because that would require a level of subtlty I don't think this comic has the means of employing) I have to say I hope Viz dumps it on it's ass and doubly so WSJ

I think that Love Rush and Red Sprite's forthrightness with what was going on with their story is what sunk them, because they had nothing to follow any of that up with. In the case of Red Sprite, sure, the first chapter was entertaining, but a lot of us (as well as the readers in Japan) seemed to get sick of it when it became apparent that there wasn't substance to follow that up. Series that are better written know to leave stuff in the tank, and U19 looks to be doing that while giving us enough interesting stuff.

Fbh

Poro's Diary 1

Not sold. Had 1-2 funny scenes but overall the humor didn't work for me.
The one action scene had solid art though. Seems like this could go either way in terms of style, from pure comedy to a more generic battle shonen.

So far it's like a more boring take on ONE's formula

According to the podcast We Never Learn was one of their most popular Jump Start first chapters

Heh hopefully the thirst for a new RomCom isn't that strong for USjump readers, because it is the less interesting of the new series so far.

They said 3 new jump starts will get picked up right? I wonder how much of a chance the newcomers have against the vets(unless their new series are bad of course) for the stuff VIZ will pick up.
Also wondering how much importance VIZ gives the surveys.

According to the podcast We Never Learn was one of their most popular Jump Start first chapters

Will listen later but not surprising, the nisekoi crowd probably ate it up

Heh hopefully the thirst for a new RomCom isn't that strong for USjump readers, because it is the less interesting of the new series so far.

They said 3 new jump starts will get picked up right? I wonder how much of a chance the newcomers have against the vets(unless their new series are bad of course) for the stuff VIZ will pick up.

We never learn was most likely to be picked up since it fills the nisekoi gap that viz can't fill with ghost tits. It would have had to mega tank in the ratings for viz to not keep publishing it / 3 of the other 5 series would need mha/neverland levels of day 1 hype.

mdubs

Banned

I like it, but I don't see it sticking around long term. That said, I do think it'll get picked up. They said 3 or 4 iirc which sounds about right given RWBY being done (thank goodness) and World Trigger being gone for who knows how long.

I think that U19 will get picked up if it has a strong third chapter - it's going to be a pivotal chapter in terms of actually tying the first two together with payoff.

If they pick up 4 series, assuming that Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie don't suck, I think that it'll be safe to predict that We Never Learn, U19, Dr. Stone, and Hungry Marie will get the pick-up. Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie have proven creators behind them as well which makes it more likely they will get picked up.

I think that Poro is definitely out, and Robot x Laserbeam too unless it ends up being crazy good since it's sports (and golf which is not even that popular to begin with).

Odd, if it was that popular why didnt they go ahead and announce it continuing.

I think to gauge the Jump Starts as whole before picking them up, and they get to see some more chapters of it to avoid a Love Rush style implosion

I like it, but I don't see it sticking around long term. That said, I do think it'll get picked up. They said 3 or 4 iirc which sounds about right given RWBY being done (thank goodness) and World Trigger being gone for who knows how long.

I think that U19 will get picked up if it has a strong third chapter - it's going to be a pivotal chapter in terms of actually tying the first two together with payoff.

If they pick up 4 series, assuming that Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie don't suck, I think that it'll be safe to predict that We Never Learn, U19, Dr. Stone, and Hungry Marie will get the pick-up. Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie have proven creators behind them as well which makes it more likely they will get picked up.

I think that Poro is definitely out, and Robot x Laserbeam too unless it ends up being crazy good since it's sports (and golf which is not even that popular to begin with).

I think to gauge the Jump Starts as whole before picking them up, and they get to see some more chapters of it to avoid a Love Rush style implosion
I agree that Hungry Marie and Dr.Stone are pretty much locked choices based solely on the authors established reputation, but I also think that Robot x Laserbeam could also be pretty sure to be given a spot. Kuroko's basketball has just started being released by VIZ and the anime itself was pretty popular.

I like to think though that the survey will be what decides the titles and not just reputation.

Also from the issue's comments section each of the new titles seems to have a good fanbase so far.

I'll be stunned if robot x laser bean gets picked up by viz at this point in the game, sports mangs never do well over here unless they have massive fujoshi backing from an anime.

I'll be stunned if robot x laser bean gets picked up by viz at this point in the game, sports mangs never do well over here unless they have massive fujoshi backing from an anime.

Is that really the case anymore? We know Haikyu is doing well for VIZ because it charted in the NYT, but it's not like we have numbers to prove they are doing bad. IF Kodansha drops Welcome to the ballroom or if VIZ drops Kuroko maybe then, but right now we have really no way to tell.

cntr

Banned
We Can't Study seems surprisingly decent enough to survive and fill the Nisekoi gap, yeah. Don't think Poro and U19 are going to last, tho.

if it's anything like Kuroko's Basketball, Robot x Laserbeam will probably be Dragonball Z golfing

Is that really the case anymore? We know Haikyu is doing well for VIZ because it charted in the NYT, but it's not like we have numbers to prove they are doing bad. IF Kodansha drops Welcome to the ballroom or if VIZ drops Kuroko maybe then, but right now we have really no way to tell.

I think offering Kurobas as omnibus kind of suggests that they thought it might be risky to try a sports title other than Haikyuu.

Top Bottom