• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Man, March is ABSOLUTELY PACKED with gaming goodness.

First, there's the Zelda amazingness on the 3rd, then after that more Zelda goodness directly into my veins in the middle of the month, and then, just when you think the ride is about to end, even MORE ZELDA.

It's going to be a veritable beast of a gaming month.

Why can't there be a vocal majority in favor of Skyward Sword? I know you're all out there.

You're just too damned quiet. Make some noise.

giphy.gif

I came to love skyward sword, but just like 3d world it is not the direction that i wanted them to take the series. I really enjoy these games and i think that these games will receive more love now that zelda and mario are going into a direction that seems like the majority wants. They won't be the majority favorites, but they will be like zelda 2 and mario bros 2. I will always love these games, but i'm super stokes that breath of the wild is this phenomenal masterpiece that everyone is raving about, and that super mario odyssey has the potential receive the same reception at the end of the year.

Mik317

My issues with Skyward Sword was with the motion controls not working too well for me and other game and new systems coming out to take its shine.

What's your agenda? Why do you care how other people feel about a videogame? If you think it's a bunch of bullshit and delusion alright but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by coming into a Zelda thread and trying to tell everyone that the series is overrated and that they're all idiots or lying to themselves for thinking so highly of it. Some of the shit you're saying is absolutely bonkers.

This aint a Zelda thread, its an Edge thread. Not that it matters, people can express their opinion on a series to their hearts content.

The fucks the context for this.

No idea, but reminds me of the girl licking a Vita.

Skyward Sword was mostly good! More mostly than Twilight Princess, and that game was also good.

I used to like Twilight Princess more than I do now. I still really like it and I think the back half of the game is absolutely a high stretch for the series, but I feel like the intro is even slower and longer, Hyrule Field is okay but has some really vast spaces with nothingness (like the big field north of Kakariko and before the bridge, and other things... the field being "empty" doesn't really bother me, like I wouldn't deduct points from the game for it but it was more striking in hindsight.

Skyward is just designed much better for me and I liked the panicked tear collection sequences a lot more than the bugs in TP (again... something I don't really dislike but Skyward handled it better). If the front half of Twilight Princess were as good as the second half I think it would be like... god tier. Some of it is god tier, just saying overall.

This aint a Zelda thread, its an Edge thread. Not that it matters, people can express their opinion on a series to their hearts content.

If only he were doing that rather than insinuating that people are flat out wrong:

I guess it only matters if you care about the truth. If you are happy literally deluding yourself into thinking something is good regardless of its actual quality, then I guess you're right. However I like to think most people want to like good things and not like bad things.

I mean every time a Zelda game has been reviewed they always say it's the "best in the series" and "better than OOT" that's not to say Breath of the Wild won't be good, every vid and gif I've seen makes me think it'll be fucking great but Zelda games tend to be more controversial than not. I give it a year before people turn on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Been in too many Skyward Sword arguments that I should know better, but I thought it was a fantastic game and the motion controls were a revelation. I'm heartbroken they're not still in Breath of the Wild but will definitely take a portable version on Switch.

Second best 3D Zelda behind Wind Waker.

Can someone with the magazine give a detailed rundown of the Torment review? I've seen one gaffer post about it but it was very brief. I don't care about Zelda...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ah jesus, I went and fell asleep earlier and did t realized I would get this many comments to my earlier comment, ill be sure to do some bullet points when I get back home

Skyward Sword has:
The best story in the series
2nd best OST in the series
Great dungeons
Great characters
Fun combat (when it works)
Great art style

Neoweee

Why can't there be a vocal majority in favor of Skyward Sword? I know you're all out there.

You're just too damned quiet. Make some noise.

Best combat and best puzzle design in the series. There's a lot for people to dislike (the worst opening of any 3D Zelda, which is saying a lot in a sea of terrible openings), text speed, blah blah blah, but my first time through was goddamn magical.

Each of the three trips through the desert are among the best stages in the entire franchise, too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Skyward Sword has:
The best story in the series
2nd best OST in the series
Great dungeons
Great characters
Fun combat (when it works)
Great art style
No lies detected.

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about it was this goofy looking thing and its boss fights

Best combat and best puzzle design in the series. There's a lot for people to dislike (the worst opening of any 3D Zelda, which is saying a lot in a sea of terrible openings), text speed, blah blah blah, but my first time through was goddamn magical.

Gotta correct you, Twilight princess has the worst opening. Skyward sword might take longer, but at least it has charm and you like the characters you meet. Twilight Princess's opening is a full slog until you meet Midna.

ncslamm

I never played SS but from the videos I've watched it looks like the Boss fights were pretty good. The motion controls seem aggravating, though.

You people are crazy! Skyward sword is nowhere near a perfect game and nowhere near a 10. However, I expect that will have 0 effect on how awesome BOTW is. BOTW looks like something out of Gods treasure chest. There is no relationship between the two except some of the people making them.

I loved Skyloft. It literally felt like an oasis to me. Although I didn't hate the sky, it felt like an unnecessary middle-man when trying to get from Skyloft to another area.

I absolutely adore Skyward Sword, it's a fantastic action-adventure game imo, but yeah The Sky as an interactive element is completely unnecessary.
The music is wonderful, but as a hub it only seems to exist because it's tradition for Link to ride somethin' around a sandbox-like area in order to get to more important places.

If it were up to me, a bigger and somewhat more active Skyloft would have been the game's central hub; where it's various landmarks (like statues, pillars, etc.) would act as "secret" (from a narrative standpoint) warp points to the main quest on the surface below.

Ryoku

I never played SS but from the videos I've watched it looks like the Boss fights were pretty good. The motion controls seem aggravating, though.

They weren't, though! The motion controls were very fluid. Link would move his arm in the exact locations you would move your arm holding the wii remote. The controls were very accurate. It's sad that a game at the end of the Wii's lifespan was what, in my opinion, redeemed motion controls as a primary input. I think most people just assume it's essentially waggle, but it's so much more.

Mr-Joker

Banned
No lies detected.

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about it was this goofy looking thing and its boss fights

Everytime I saw the imprisoned I was like,

"Daw look at your little toe aren't you a little cutie boy?"

Then the imprisoned would proceed to try and eat me and then I remember that he's the bad guy.

They weren't, sword combat was very smooth and fluid.

I never once had problems with the control after the first dungeon when I learnt how to master the art of shield bash.

phanphare

Banned
tried to sum up that podcast because it keeps getting brought up and makes some really good points. so since it's about zelda austin does most of the talking and comparing and it should be noted that he didn't like horizon as much as the other host patrick (?) who thought the game was excellent with a few flaws. there are so many points being made so it's long but it was a really good discussion.

Some bulletpoints my dude?

-horizon is a great game but the potential it showed is a bit larger than what it ended up living up to. laid a great foundation for a sequel
-larger story is great, feels like that's the highest point of praise. the things that it explores are really deep and interesting
-there are some bad exposition dumps, thought there had to be a way to do that better
-the game world feels a tad restricting for how inviting it seems. little things like aloy being incredibly acrobatic but not being able to walk over a small curb.
-aloy is great
-there's a moment with aloy at the end that's great and is a moment of the year contender
-wanted the world to feel more organic with more interaction between stuff like observing enemies fighting each other etc. "it's very rare that you find the world systemically interacting with one another". feels like when that itch was scratched it was because the game was scripting it to happen.
-horizon vs. zelda is like digital vs. analog (understands that's a weak analogy that won't hold up to scrutiny)
-in horizon you do the things the game wants you to do; specified walls to climb with predetermined route etc. vs. in zelda you can climb essentially anything you want and find your own path. the feeling of "I bet I can do this" and then being able to do it is greater in zelda.
-every impulse of exploration in zelda has been rewarded; scratching all the itches
-last zelda austin beat was MM
-would rate botw very high; ~12 hours in
-says this zelda feels like a new sub-genre to open world games. brings up witcher 3 in one corner, assassin's creed/ubi stuff in another, bioware type stuff in another, and says zelda feels like another distinct thing. hadn't seen exploration like this in the open world space outside of stuff like minecraft.
-playing zelda and horizon back to back made him realize that maybe open world fatigue isn't actually a thing and we as gamers should make the harder conclusion of zooming in and realizing that specific game isn't executing
-you're always going to be discovering things between objectives; world is filled with little environmental puzzles; encourages you to take notice of all of your surroundings
-shrines scratch the dungeon itch
-compares shrines to Nintendo's take on Portal levels; many "aha" moments
-very cool story mechanic thing, can't talk about it
-game is difficult; enemy ai is good; has died a lot; didn't die as much in horizon
-compares game to far cry; describes scenario where he was low on health and needed to get to a place, comes across a bokoblin camp and doesn't want to directly engage, finds a boulder, lifts boulder with magnet, searches for the right spot/angle to drop it, and drops it on an explosive barrel and blows the camp up.
-stuff like the above makes the story telling feel more connected to the player; zelda games the story is usually told to the the player, this is the player making his/her own story. horizon doesn't allow for player stories as much, not what it's going for though.
-combat/design in horizon doesn't push you to be creative, only a few fights where you are forced to utilize your full skill set. easy to become habitual.
-zelda pushes you to improvise a lot
-weapon degradation is cool. when you engage in combat early on you're committing to something breaking but you typically leave that combat encounter with better gear. save good gear for more significant fights/scenarios. the game does push you to use your better gear though.
-different weapon types have strengthens and weaknesses; sledge hammer is good for breaking up ore, axe for chopping trees, move set in combat, etc.
-there are special weapons for doing certain things
-enjoys cooking; very intuitive with how you combine items to make a dish
-npc interactions are great in zelda. contrasts with horizon where he wasn't excited about seeing people out and about like in zelda.
-zelda conveys both the warmth and the terror of a studio ghibli film.
-feeling of wonder and mystery in zelda; contrasts with some other open world games where you get the objective and do the objective without feeling like doing anything else in between
-has been using the screenshot function a lot which is indicative of it being a good game

then they swerve to Switch talk overall but I think they answer some more Zelda realted questions at the end so here's the podcast link

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-the-wild-first-impressions-on-waypoint-radio

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Skyward Sword has:
The best story in the series That's not saying much
2nd best OST in the series Can't argue that
Great dungeons They were pretty damn good
Great characters Hated all of them
Fun combat (when it works) Combat was my favorite thing about it
Great art style I found it to be a mixed bag
For all the positives, I found the hand holding and shitty overworked outweighed them and brought the game down.

KrawlMan

No lies detected.

Agreed. It and the boss on the boat had atrocious designs.

Now that I think about it, all of my negativity towards the game stems from that ugly git and some of the silent realm.
also that shit enormous UI...thank goodness that's improved this round

silva1991

Haven't played played SS, because gimmicky controls are always trash for me.

Everytime I think about fixing the controls on dolphin I think of the any gameplay footage and I immediately lose all interest.

I mean every time a Zelda game has been reviewed they always say it's the "best in the series" and "better than OOT" that's not to say Breath of the Wild won't be good, every vid and gif I've seen makes me think it'll be fucking great but Zelda games tend to be more controversial than not. I give it a year before people turn on it.
No, they didn't say that about SS. Please don't make things up.

phanphare

Banned
Great summary. I'm a fan of Austin (I feel like his voice is super unique in the medium) and I've actually listened to this podcast twice now. I'm super excited for Zelda after this round of previews and this podcast is a big reason for that.

yeah I honestly just wanted to listen to it again and people had been talking about but not actually talking about it

Top Bottom