• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

so i finished reading A Silent Voice and while i did enjoy it i couldn't help but feel that probably the last half or so of the manga was pretty weak and also that the ending was sort of rushed[ENDING SPOILERS].
I'm fine with the two mc not getting together but the thing was that it was the mangaka that brought that into the story and nothing never came from it which just makes me think, why the hell did you even bring it up if it wasn't going to go anywhere? :|
is the movie ending different from the manga?
either do something with the romance or cut it and just make them friends only imo

mdubs

Banned
U19 3

So we didn't get quite the type of huge awakening that I thought, but I'm digging the plot in general and want to know more about what is going on in the world. The art is pretty good too, and the rest of the gang seems interesting.

In terms of the Jump Starts (not Hungry Marie yet since there is only one chapter) I'm at U19 > We Never Learn >>>>>>>>>> Poro.

I think that we are still on track for We Never Learn, U19, Hungry Marie, and Dr. Stone (assuming it doesn't suck) to be picked up. Poro is DOA and Robot X Laserbeam is a golf sports manga (unless it proves to be off the hook good immediately).

I think, provided that chapters 4, 5, and 6 don't indicate that it's on the way to cancellation town immediately, We Never Learn is a lock, and U19 might be as well since it seems like it atleast has long term potential. Hungry Marie was a promising start

mellow

I Am a Hero 264 [End]

for around 80% of the manga it was one of my favorites these last few years but uh, that last 20% knocked it down a bunch for me, just seemed kinda directionless. Pretty poor conclusion.

U19 3

So we didn't get quite the type of huge awakening that I thought, but I'm digging the plot in general and want to know more about what is going on in the world. The art is pretty good too, and the rest of the gang seems interesting.

In terms of the Jump Starts (not Hungry Marie yet since there is only one chapter) I'm at U19 > We Never Learn >>>>>>>>>> Poro.

I think that we are still on track for We Never Learn, U19, Hungry Marie, and Dr. Stone (assuming it doesn't suck) to be picked up. Poro is DOA and Robot X Laserbeam is a golf sports manga (unless it proves to be off the hook good immediately).

I think, provided that chapters 4, 5, and 6 don't indicate that it's on the way to cancellation town immediately, We Never Learn is a lock, and U19 might be as well since it seems like it atleast has long term potential. Hungry Marie was a promising start

I don't think we will get 4 jump starts. If the word on the street is world trigger is not coming back soon maybe that happens. My guess from day 1 was we'd get we never learn (which based upon the podcast seems like its all but a done deal), dr stone, and 1 of hungry marie or u19. Hungry Marie is the safer pick since the mangaka has previous experience with a successful Jump series so the odds of Hungry Marie getting canceled is lower.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I Am a Hero fin.

Whew, what a nothing finale. Thanks Hanazawa.

Overall I'm still more positive than negative on this series as a whole. The vol. 1 - 16 ride had some real good material, but sheesh, once he got bored with the story, it disintegrated in all sorts of unfortunate ways. Shame.

mdubs

Banned
I don't think we will get 4 jump starts. If the word on the street is world trigger is not coming back soon maybe that happens. My guess from day 1 was we'd get we never learn (which based upon the podcast seems like its all but a done deal), dr stone, and 1 of hungry marie or u19. Hungry Marie is the safer pick since the mangaka has previous experience with a successful Jump series so the odds of Hungry Marie getting canceled is lower.

Yeah, I agree. I think if they decide to take 3 they leave U19 out, but I could see them taking a chance if the next few chapters go well (like you said, especially if World Trigger is out long-term)

Yeah, I agree. I think if they decide to take 3 they leave U19 out, but I could see them taking a chance if the next few chapters go well (like you said, especially if World Trigger is out long-term)

I haven't had a chance to listen to today's podcast but it should he pretty telling for u19 and poro what direction the group is feeling on them.

oh shit i didn't know i am a hero was ending (well, IS done now). I'm still really early in it, up to the part where he meets a girl in the suicide forest and they killed one of her zombie friends.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow the ending of I Am a Hero was pretty bad. I won't say terrible but he last quarter of the manga just seemed meandering and aimless. Worse yet it seems like all the really interesting elements were just outright dropped or ignored after all that build up. Was this another Gantz situation where the author started something they ended up not wanting to finish and just shit out whatever came to mind? Worse is that it all seemed like it was building to something really amazing for well over a dozen volumes and then it just petered out into nothing.

Boogiepop

Hungry Marie: That really, really worked for me. Totally my kind of thing unless it goes down the drain after the first chapter. But yeah, really hoping this survives both in terms of making it into the US Jump and also just not getting the early cancellation ax in general.

Also hell yes, RWBY is finally dead! So at least that's some awful clutter shed from the magazine.

And also...

Karakuri Circus (all of it): So I just finished this the other night, and I felt like commenting because... it's an interesting one. Ultimately, I'd say it's probably the weakest of Fujita's three long form series, but that's also because it felt like it was kind of the most ambitious. Like, a lot of the flaws came from reaching in and trying all kinds of stuff. Like how I'd say that the designs being crazy and detailed and occasionally just 100% insane (
such as having a merry-go-round for a head
) hurt the flow of action and readability of the panels a bit (though there are still plenty of great action panels of course, because it's Fujita and he's freaking awesome at that). Or just the split of the characters being interesting, but ultimately probably negatively impacting the amount of time a number of them got to develop.

But when it really clicked, holy crap did it click. Like, seeing Narumi getting up
with those mismatched limbs attached to him
kind of shouldn't have worked and in a vacuum of just looking at it without context would be laughable, but it made for such a goddamn awesome moment. Also, Lucille is just plain great from start to finish (though I'll admit that I may have a soft spot for badass old people).

So yeah, I'd still totally recommend it, but I'd probably still give Ushio & Tora and Gekkou Jourei/Moonlight Act the nod in terms of priority. Also, man, I'd love to see him tackle at least one more long form work, as I absolutely love his stuff...

Edit: Almost forgot, but if nothing else, this will forever be the series that showed me how you can apparently get away with showing a close-up and in-depth birth in Shonen Sunday. (The answer being apparently to just white out the mother entirely, and draw the vagina as ambiguous void for the baby to emerge from.

Numb

Kimetsu no Yaiba 1-51

Been a minute since last i enjoyed a shonen..if you could call this that with how much blood is in
Glad to see an MC who starts of weak and slowly gets stronger instead of being the strongest all the time.
Training arcs =awesome especially being new to the world. And his party is so entertaining once you get used to it.
The common honesty/purity/kindness that these MCs get is well executed instead of feeling forced or unbelievable
because the kindness happens after he murders them and sends them to hell while their decapitated head looks on lol

Can get dumb sometimes too
MR-357988-754782-18.jpg
You think you won just cos you cut my head? I'll grow arms where my ears were dude!
Fuck yo axe

giphy.gif

cntr

Banned
it's based on Japanese mythology, right? mythology stuff is pretty fun if you do it right

guess that's one of the reasons Viz didn't pick it up, though

Numb

Indeed with onis/demons
One good thing is that it barely keeps any cards hidden. Another reason why the plot feels quick

rrvv

Hayate no Gotoku 561

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

We finally meet the true villain of the mange,
Hayate's Parent

I didn't expect them to be this jerk. Literally they are in top of my
worse anime parent
list now

Usobuko

Banned
I Am a Hero fin.

Whew, what a nothing finale. Thanks Hanazawa.

Overall I'm still more positive than negative on this series as a whole. The vol. 1 - 16 ride had some real good material, but sheesh, once he got bored with the story, it disintegrated in all sorts of unfortunate ways. Shame.

I'm convinced the main aim of this manga is for hideo to hook up with the middle school girl who fell in love with him.

Amon-Lau

Hayate no Gotoku 561

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

We finally meet the true villain of the mange,
Hayate's Parent

I didn't expect them to be this jerk. Literally they are in top of my
worse anime parent
now
Yeah,
We've only really encountered them via flashbacks and even then they were assholes but seeing them present and doing the same horrible shit really hits ya with how Hayate had to deal with 'em...

I really hope they get a fitting 'end, especially since we're so close to the end...

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch512

How can this man manage to fumble every step?

How Many Light-Years to Babylon? ch3

Well, that's an understandable goal considering his circumstances.

I like the way she thinks~

Swap ⇔ Swap ch19

It's nice how quick they got along. Kissing sure can bring miracles~

I Am a Hero ch264 (End)

Simply disappointing.

Surprised more people haven't already been following Kimetsu no Yaiba, fun manga that will never see a volume release in the US due to how "rough" it's artstyle is.

My guess is Viz will come back with its tail beneath its legs and localize it once the series gets a popular/successful anime. They've done so for Haikyuu and Assassination Classroom both series they initially skipped on.

Re-reading both Kingdom & Pumpkin Scissors from the beginning because I might just be a masochistic addict...

In other news, We Can't Study! isn't bad, I'm enjoying U19, Hungry Marie makes no sense & finally, Poro just isn't doing it for me, which is sad as I like the art and premise.

Kurita

Track list?

01. Solanin / yonige
02. Mirai no Hahen / 04 Limited Sazabys
03. Re:Re: / Jin
04. Natsu no Hi, Zanshou / amazarashi
05. Rewrite / Creepy Nuts
06. Maigoinu to Ame no Beat / Scenarioart
07. Blackout / LILI LIMIT
08. N.G.S / Yoru no Honki Dance
09. Understand / BLUE ENCOUNT
10. Mustang / Legal Lily
11. Kimi no Machi made / never young beach
12. Kakato de Ai wo Uchinarase / the chef cooks me
13. Kimi to Iu Hana / KANA-BOON

Fbh

Hungry Marie 1

I liked the humor and characters. I'm not a fan of the plot development right at the end though. Will have to see how it plays out

01. Solanin / yonige
02. Mirai no Hahen / 04 Limited Sazabys
03. Re:Re: / Jin
04. Natsu no Hi, Zanshou / amazarashi
05. Rewrite / Creepy Nuts
06. Maigoinu to Ame no Beat / Scenarioart
07. Blackout / LILI LIMIT
08. N.G.S / Yoru no Honki Dance
09. Understand / BLUE ENCOUNT
10. Mustang / Legal Lily
11. Kimi no Machi made / never young beach
12. Kakato de Ai wo Uchinarase / the chef cooks me
13. Kimi to Iu Hana / KANA-BOON

Amazarashi, blue encount, and kana-boon. Need.

Re:BIRTH 2 - The Life Taker 1

nA9m3Y2.jpg

Sequel to The Lunatic Taker, a trashy, poorly written series by an infamous author that I still enjoyed by virtue of it having a top tier yandere. She's supposed to still be alive (albeit incarcerated), so my interest in this followup will likely correlate directly to her appearance(s). The plot was something about people killing each-other to extend their lives. I think. It's been a while.

How Many Light-Years to Babylon? 3

Short chapter, but a meaningful one due to it introducing an actually cute MG. Not sure if she's being set up as long-term party member, but if so it's a development I'd largely support.

A crazy elf and a serious orc (SFW doujin)

9pQMLo9.jpg

Remember that story about a lewd elf and a chaste orc by the Black General author? This is essentially that, except with ++art, --humour and --charm overall.

TsubaHonoEli / TsubaHonoNico / What are you doing the rest of your life? (Love Live)

I don't do Love Live shipping. But when I do, it's TsubaHono. And maaaybe NozoEli. Anyway, all of these were basically either too short or flat out terrible, but I'll take what I can get.

dani_dc

I Am a Hero 264 (End)

Gonna reflect what has been said in the thread, what a non-ending.
The author started building up the Zombie has some kind of alien invasion and then just dropped that plot line, didn't address any of the plot points regarding the zombies that he had previous set up, and ended up with literally nothing happening.

It's a shame that a series that was so strong for a good 3/4th of it's run just completely went off rails in the last arc.

Hideo crying about killing a deer and her baby cub comes off as hard to swallow when he shoot a human being in the head just a few chapters ago, without any reason to do so.
It was a bad scene then, and this scene at the end didn't help.

I'm unsure if the author lost the plot or if he got sick of writing this manga, but starting on Oda death, the series quality dropped off a cliff.

Shengar

A crazy elf and a serious orc (SFW doujin)

http://i.imgur.com/9pQMLo9.jpg[img]

Remember that story about a lewd elf and a chaste orc by the Black General author? This is essentially that, except with ++art, --humour and --charm overall.
[/QUOTE]

This kind bad clones tells you that an author should've give something unique in their own attempt to tell or retell an interesting premise from other story. There are a lot of different dynamics that could be played between stereotypical orc and elf in Japanese fantasy sphere, like perhaps a story of shaman/magician orc with a warrior elf. Or you could retell the story of stoic orc and lusty elf again but only this time the gender is reversed.

Well damn, now I want that female orc and male elf manga.

Pumpkin Scissors: Arc Zero, Ch0:

As one of my Top Three manga series of all time, I've decided to go back and re-read through it (as new scanlations have been coming out thick and fast). So while I'm doing so I thought I'd review it arc by arc as we go.

The first Arc, Arc Zero, is a single chapter Arc, setting the scene for the rest of the series, almost in the same way a One-shot would. Only difference being that the manga continues straight on from 'Chapter 0'. So let's jump into it! Will be posting most of this under Spoiler tags due to the content of it.

Our opening scene begins with us getting a quick snapshot of our two main characters, who are receiving the same piece of news in greatly varying environments. While on the surface this may not seem important it really set's up the scene for their greatly different points of view. This is not just done in the environments (One being a well lit and pristine military academy, the other a dark, ruined warscape) but in both the art as well as language. See examples below:

After our first quick introduction of the motivating forces behind we are quickly swept up in a three year time skip into a period after the 'great war' (Think WW1.5). With us seeing the aftereffects of war and it's effects. We are also introduced to the rest of our main cast. As a side note I will note the artwork in 'Chapter 0' is not as crisp and clean as it becomes later on, with some really odd faces. Example below:

The chapter continues crossing back and forth between our two main leads, continuing to contrast their attitudes and situations. One planning a single minded suicide attack with two of her men against a bandit camp located in a damn, the other? Sitting in a run down diner eating lettuce and other greens, his own attire looking worse for ware. This back and forth continues for several more pages, with a few pages of exposition interfaced between them, until we get our leads introduced to one another. With one instantly seeming that he is more than meets the eye (All the while remaining somewhat light hearted and comedic, this does become an issue in some later chapters, creating severe mood whiplash. Example below:

Continuing on, we are given more exposition, showing us/leading us to see how the government deals with certain issues, and the reasons behind it. It is not until about 35~ pages in that the action really begins, delivering onto us a dilemma/situation for our heroes to confront. Leading to one hell of a wham shot:

From then on we have a full on action rumble assault, that goes on for about the next 30-35 pages. Delivering some great scenes, that are only really held back by the early installment weirdness of the art. Below I'll add a few last examples of the scenes/art for you to look at:

Overall I feel this is a great start to the manga, setting the world, solidifying character roles and giving us an interesting story to begin to uncover. As there is more than one story begin told in this manga, and as it progressed we will begin to learn more and more about how the past war has effected the world and those who served in it.I will also say that this chapter is about 90 pages long, covering most of the initial character set up as well as their main traits and abilities, which is then continued through development in the next 120 chapters currently out in Japan.

P.S: Sorry for all the images, but I feel it's one of those manga that needs it's distinct style shown, rather than me trying to poorly and blindly explain my love of it.

Top Bottom