• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soodanim

Today is the day!

The day that I'm most pissed off that I cancelled my Amazon pre-order out of hype for the Switch long before we knew the truth. I'm an idiot.

This is why i prefer in store pick up if possible instead of relying on shipping to be on time. :eek:

Wii U version is soon to sell out in stock at Webhallen here in sweden, switch version very much not so. But Wii U version is Probably undershipped.

Maybe it's just me getting older but I'm perfectly willing to wait a few days (no matter how amazing it apparently is) to save £25! In store prices for games are extortionate and I refuse to pay them. My girlfriend was amazed I was even paying £35 for it, she's a non-gamer and thought games were the same price as blu-rays/DVDs lol.

In any case, the whole ordeal with Amazon seems to confirm for me that there's an issue with stock for the Wii U version (maybe they didn't expect that people wouldn't want to pay £300 to play a basically identical version of a game, I don't know), so I'll sell the copy I get from Amazon on. My ShopTo order will be here later on today, not that I can play it until Monday evening...

mr-paul

Same here. Went to someone on the chat and they were utterly un-useful. I saw it's available on Prime Now in my area so I suggested they sent it to me through that but the person I spoke to couldn't do anything to do with that and arranged for them to call me back at 6am.

Hopefully they can sort it out because right now i'm extremely pissed off!

And they continued to be utterly unhelpful. All they would offer me is a £5 credit and an upgrade to prime delivery for when they are going to send it.

Asked for it to be passed to a supervisor who is supposedly going to e-mail me ASAP.

If they can't do anything for me today, I've stuck a reservation in at Argos. (£48.99, eeek) Would everything go smoothly if I picked it up from there and then return the Amazon copy to them when it arrives?

Maybe it's just me getting older but I'm perfectly willing to wait a few days (no matter how amazing it apparently is) to save £25! In store prices for games are extortionate and I refuse to pay them. My girlfriend was amazed I was even paying £35 for it, she's a non-gamer and thought games were the same price as blu-rays/DVDs lol.

In any case, the whole ordeal with Amazon seems to confirm for me that there's an issue with stock for the Wii U version (maybe they didn't expect that people wouldn't want to pay £300 to play a basically identical version of a game, I don't know), so I'll sell the copy I get from Amazon on. My ShopTo order will be here later on today, not that I can play it until Monday evening...

If you exclude game stores like Gamestop the prices are the same exact ones in 'physical stores' and online stores here in Sweden. So the only point to shop online is if you want it delivered home. :) And it can be even more expensive if you have to pay for shipping wich is often not included in the price. This is maybe weird, since it used to be a bit cheaper to buy games from online stores some years back.

The game for both Switch and Wii u is £58 here as well.

Cheapest ways to buy games is from steam sales. PSN store sales or CD-key stores like greenmangaming and so on. Cant really get good deals here anymore like you have on amazon in the US and UK.

Soodanim

And they continued to be utterly unhelpful. All they would offer me is a £5 credit and an upgrade to prime delivery for when they are going to send it.

Asked for it to be passed to a supervisor who is supposedly going to e-mail me ASAP.

If they can't do anything for me today, I've stuck a reservation in at Argos. (£48.99, eeek) Would everything go smoothly if I picked it up from there and then return the Amazon copy to them when it arrives?
Yeah, you aren't even going to open it so definitely. If there's Amazon lockers near you then even better.
Is there any advantage to using the gamepad or can you use your pro controller for this? Was just wonderin.
Apparently it has no gamepad integration, it's pure controller. Which makes sense, given that it's cross gen with Switch.

aravuus

Is there any advantage to using the gamepad or can you use your pro controller for this? Was just wonderin.

Don't quote me on this, but I think there's stuff you can do with the gyro, and it's even required at some point in the game.

But yeah, otherwise it's whatever.

mr-paul

Yeah, you aren't even going to open it so definitely. If there's Amazon lockers near you then even better.

Apparently it has no gamepad integration, it's pure controller. Which makes sense, given that it's cross gen with Switch.

I think you misunderstood - not returning to Amazon, returning a sealed game from Amazon to Argos. Therefore I get Zelda today in-store at Argos, but end up paying the Amazon price.

Didn't know you could return at Amazon lockers though, so thanks for the info :)

MCD250

Just bought it from the eShop. Was surprised to see that the download is only 10 GB, not counting the patch. Is the patch really big? Otherwise that seems rather small given the apparent scale of the game.

Soodanim

I think you misunderstood - not returning to Amazon, returning a sealed game from Amazon to Argos. Therefore I get Zelda today in-store at Argos, but end up paying the Amazon price.

Didn't know you could return at Amazon lockers though, so thanks for the info :)
Oh! I guess that depends on whether there's anything on top of Nintendo's plastic seal that would suggest to Argos that it wasn't bought from them. Which I don't think there would be from Amazon, so my money's on it being fine.

Well, that's cemented my Switch order I've got on click and collect at Argos. Amazon have screwed up and not sent my Wii U copy and won't be coming until the 6th. I'll get it and either make my money back plus some trading it into CEX or just return it (if I cancel, I'll likely lose the discount I've got on Doctor Strange BR I ordered at the same time)

I'm read there are certain puzzles that require gyro control. When those occur and you are using the Pro Controller the game will prompt you to use the Gamepad for that.

On Switch even the Pro Controller has gyro.

gardfish

So, just got to the first village, and no regrets buying it on the Wii U yet. There are occasional framerate dips, yes, but generally they don't last long and they're by no means major. I'm having an absolute blast with the game, to the point that I said "I should call it a night," stuck to that plan for 30 minutes, then decided I wanted to play a little more and ended up playing for another 3 hours, whoops.

I forgot how awful the install and download process was on Wii U. The download took two hours. The install took 40 minutes and now I'm installing a mandatory patch that took another 20 minutes to download and is now taking 20+ minutes to install. Cruelly, the estimated time has been ~30 seconds this whole time.

I could've just driven to the store and bought the game, heh. Good riddance to this system after Zelda is over and done with.

Wanderer5

Wasn't there like a 3GB installation for retail? I had to do a update when I loaded up the game, but it went by decently fast that I think it was just the day 1 patch.

Anyway did a little more than a hour on the gamepad before I get some sleep. Framerate was taking some dips as I was running down the path from where you come out, to the tower, but it been fine since.

SpacLock

I think the Switch Version looks wayyy better (3:20ish), but it's not something I would have really noticed without seeing them side-by-side.

going to pick up the game at best buy in like 6 hours. stoooooooooooooked

My Best Buy doesn't open until 10am too...

Xun

I think the Switch Version looks wayyy better (3:20ish), but it's not something I would have really noticed without seeing them side-by-side.

I also don't think it helps matters that the weather is different in both.

The Wii U version looks fine.

Ogni-XR21

Can you expand on and define "the worst slowdown I encountered so far"?

:/

Sorry for the late reply, I was asleep and now at work. It dips a little from time to time, nothing too major, but the very beginning when you meet the old man for the first time felt like it went to 15 fps or so for quite some time. It's never been that obvious anywhere else, or maybe I was just getting used to it.

It's really no biggie, game is perfectly playable and the framerate is solid most of the time.

IMG_0585_zpsolwji5hf.jpg

Thanks Best Buy

That's a beautiful cover, much better than the horrible European Version:

607768a0caaf3f507a7aaa3c9225c321.jpg

ionitron

I just don't think I'm getting my copy today =( Amazon says it's supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't arrived at the local facility and I usually get mail by 10:30 AM. I'll hope I get it. If not, I definitely need it by tomorrow, because my Wii U is at home home and I'm currently in college, today is the start of my spring break and I'm going home, and I shipped it here (college) rather than at home at the chance of being able to play it at my friend's house day one while he plays on the switch lol >_>

Skyzard

Banned

I don't think there's that much difference other than the time of day causing light changes. Maybe a bit more aliasing on the WiiU? Barely noticeable - especially on gamepad.

shortis

Neo Member
Hey guys, i'm not sure this was already answered, but I have a basic Wii U (8gb) and no HDD. Is it possible to play BotW with all the software installations, the day 1 patch and the mandatory installation?

I'm not in a position where I can buy a external HDD to play this so I don't want to waste money on the game and not being able to play it!

Thank you :)

Quoting myself from the other topic, I think this one is more accurate to post this.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, my game and Amiibo are out for delivery via UPS. I have a long day at work, but at least my fiance is working at home to get the package rather than have it sit on the porch all day.

Jacce

Banned
Poll lacks a "getting it later on WiiU" option.

There is going to be no later on WiiU likely unless you buy it digitally/marked up on places like ebay.

WiiU is already pulled from store shelves. This is going to be a one and done limited game shipment of WiiU discs much like TP was for GCN. Nintendo is not going to maintain any printing of WiiU discs or WiiU shelf space after today, similar to what went down with GCN and Twilight Princess almost certainly.

Tevious

Bought the game on the eShop and I'm running into all sorts of issues getting this fucking game installed. Took nearly 3 hours to download cause the wifi on my Wii U suddenly kept crapping out several times (btw, fuck you Nintendo for not including an ethernet port on the Wii U). Now it's installing and the estimate was 5 hours and 45 minutes. Got to 4% after 15 minutes or so. It can't seriously be taking this long to install 10GB... and longer than it took to even download. I still have the patch to download/install yet, too. Bullshit that there was no pre-order and pre-load for this game. Unless I'm remembering wrong, I could have sworn they did that before on their other games.

Edit: Rebooted and now it's taking eta 16 minutes to install.

I thought I could wait but the hype became too much. Bought the Wii u version and yeah it does have fps drops, mostly in areas with heavy grass but aside from that it's been pretty good for the 3 hours I played.

Davey Cakes

I decided to go for it. I won $50 on a scratch ticket the other day to help pay and I'm suddenly feeling the urge to jump in.

Right now I have an in-store pickup order at Best Buy. Should be able to grab the game today if they didn't somehow mess up their inventory.

The Switch version is neither going to be worth the wait nor the price tag for the system itself. Might as well get my Zelda on while it's hot.

Wife is trying to talk me out of the Switch...but I don't want the hassle of juggling shit around on the Wii U to free up enough space for the game/patch.

I really just need to offload crap like the Wii version of Metroid Trilogy and I will have enough space..I don't want to waste an entire external drive or look for one of those Y adapters just for that. I am reading that I can just use a USB thumb drive or an SD card to move games (not play them on)...is this true? That's a crazy good option that I didn't know existed.

-EDIT-
Also..in the case of a USB stick I assume it needs to be USB 3.0?

el3m

Neo Member
Wife is trying to talk me out of the Switch...but I don't want the hassle of juggling shit around on the Wii U to free up enough space for the game/patch.

I really just need to offload crap like the Wii version of Metroid Trilogy and I will have enough space..I don't want to waste an entire external drive or look for one of those Y adapters just for that. I am reading that I can just use a USB thumb drive or an SD card to move games (not play them on)...is this true? That's a crazy good option that I didn't know existed.

-EDIT-
Also..in the case of a USB stick I assume it needs to be USB 3.0?

I'm using an average USB 2.0 16gb stick I got free from somewhere. No issues so far, loads fast from the USB. Nintendo doesn't recommend using USB sticks, but for me it seems to work ok.

I'm read there are certain puzzles that require gyro control. When those occur and you are using the Pro Controller the game will prompt you to use the Gamepad for that.

On Switch even the Pro Controller has gyro.

Is this really true? I love motion controls. I hate the gamepad. This alone has justified playing this game on Switch for me. If I could have played the entire Wii U version on the Pro Controller, I would have been perfectly fine with that version. Boxing up my Wii U last night for good was a great feeling.

Can confirm this is the case. You can't use the pro controller entirely on the WiiU one but you can on Switch.

Having gyro in the Switch Pro Controller is such a huge deal for me. So glad Nintendo went in that direction.

Jacce

Banned
Is this really true? I love motion controls. I hate the gamepad. This alone has justified playing this game on Switch for me. If I could have played the entire Wii U version on the Pro Controller, I would have been perfectly fine with that version.
Can confirm this is the case. You can't use the pro controller entirely on the WiiU one but you can on Switch.

rekameohs

Banned
I forgot how awful the install and download process was on Wii U. The download took two hours. The install took 40 minutes and now I'm installing a mandatory patch that took another 20 minutes to download and is now taking 20+ minutes to install. Cruelly, the estimated time has been ~30 seconds this whole time.

I could've just driven to the store and bought the game, heh. Good riddance to this system after Zelda is over and done with.
The estimated time is in HH:MM which is pretty hilarious. Nintendo even knew how terrible the Wii U DL speed was.

Ramsiege

Just picked up my copy from GameStop. Now patiently waiting for the game's 3gb installation.

HURRY THE FUCK UP ALREADY!!!

GRW810

That's a beautiful cover, much better than the horrible European Version:

607768a0caaf3f507a7aaa3c9225c321.jpg
I don't know who thought that was a) a good-looking cover, or b) better than the US alternative.

It's dreadful. If I get the chance to swap it for the other version I will in a heartbeat. Even if I have to print it off myself.

Top Bottom