• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skyzard

Banned
There are a lot of cutscenes with mute characters mouthing to subtitles. It's a bit jarring.

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but if your setting for audio in the wiiu is set to surround - that's a bug in this game, fixes itself when you change it to stereo. Saw a few people mention that.

HF2014

Got it for Wii U. Yeah some frame drop at some place, but unplayable? Na. Totally enjoying the experience! Its so beautiful too!

I'm enjoying BOTW on the Wii U--all in "60 fps" glory thanks to MotionFlow interpolation on my X800D. Easily my GOTY so far on any platform.

The slowdown in towns doesn't affect the overall experience. It reminds me of the slowdown in The Last Guardian and I think it's overblown.

My only gripes is that Nintendo gimped the Wii U features like map and inventory management on the Gamepad in an effort to make the Switch version superior. "Thanks" to that, Nintendo.

My only gripes is that Nintendo gimped the Wii U features like map and inventory management on the Gamepad in an effort to make the Switch version superior. "Thanks" to that, Nintendo.

There are so many places where you can tell they were going to make use of gamepad functionality. I think the game definitely would have been better off if there were no Switch version.

There are so many places where you can tell they were going to make use of gamepad functionality. I think the game definitely would have been better off if there were no Switch version.

Deleting the overworld map feauture on the Gamepad was criminal. The code was already in place when they "disabled" it on the Wii U. The move made all the markers almost useless as you travel. Now you have to press the map button every now and then just to check where you are relative to the markers.

BOTW on the Wii U should have been the definitive version.

Yes Boss!

Since when is a stable framerate too much to expect? From the company that favors framerate over resolution I might add. What exactly about what I wrote is ridiculous? I accept drops, but I don't accept performance this bad. Especially not on a console that's much more powerful than a Wii U, but still can't handle it better while docked.

You say it was unplayable. That is ridiculous.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Deleting the overworld map feauture on the Gamepad was criminal. The code was already in place when they "disabled" it on the Wii U. The move made all the markers almost useless as you travel. Now you have to press the map button every now and then just to check where you are relative to the markers.

BOTW on the Wii U should have been the definitive version.

Yup, it really sucks. It would've been awesome to do weapon/shield/bow item management on the GamePad instead of opening the menu everytime. Sigh

JeTmAn81

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but if your setting for audio in the wiiu is set to surround - that's a bug in this game, fixes itself when you change it to stereo. Saw a few people mention that.

Thanks, it makes sense that it might be my setup. I'm running optical out from my TV which doesn't support 5.1 surround sound, so that may be the culprit. I thought it was weird!

meerak

I ended up getting it for Wii U, just too broke to Switch it up.

It's effectively unplayable on a tv (shocks me to say, as a real "performance never bugs me" guy), but looks and plays really great on the old controller.

It wasn't the framerate issues (they are there) but moreso that it looked SO SHIMMERY I THOUGHT IT WAS A MIRAGE. Appreciate that different monitors can make this better or worse, but that was my xp.

And yes... the game is still utterly amazing.

Darkfire64

Neo Member

OMG! Thank you so much! I've watched 3 memory cutscenes so far and I was wondering what was up.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
"A few dips." What about not sugarcoating it? Seriously. It's ambitious no doubt, but the best looking Wii U game? No. While subjective I fail to see how it looks better than for example Bayonetta 2 or 3D world. It has great art style and pleasant post processing, but most effects use a much lower res buffer. 720p is also nothing to be impressed over anymore. While at it this game is not physics heavy. It has simple ragdolls that disappear after 2 seconds. Stones and trees are physics based, but how many stones and trees with an active physics simulation have you seen at once?

I like the game a lot as such, but to release it in this state is a slap in the face.
I have a hunch that Switch will fail faster and perhaps do worse than Wii U. Nintendo have to bump their hardware specs in order to survive. They can't keep charging us so much for so little.

Breath of The Wild Switch Just watched this and ~12min in there's a fight with at least 10 enemies at once and it's really stable framerate wise. At least it seems to be. Even while blowing them up with a bombs. On Wii U it takes a bomb and 3 enemies to tank. Makes me wonder how it really fares on Switch while docked.

In exchange for a permanent v-sync, there are extra the frame rate issues sound that bad at all, considering the platform (especially Wii U). It pushes the hardware to its absolute limit.

It runs about as well as could be expected on Wii U for what we got. I don't necessarily disagree with you on how Switch will do, but this is both the best-looking game on Wii U and its most ambitious open-world (thanks to help from Monolith Soft perhaps).

Yikes at those poll options.

"Grab a Wii U secondhand/on clearance for cheap later with BoTW" is likely a popular option (if not the smartest one).
Umm, maybe if they're okay with digital for the game itself. If not then LOL.

AzaK

Anyone of you regret getting the Wii U version as opposed to experiencing it for the first time on the Switch?

I'm thinking about going to the store today to get it (Wii U copy). Otherwise, I can grab it this Fall along with the Switch.

Naa. The Switch is broken in so many ways, from hardware issues to terrible software features. Add in the fact there are almost no games of worth (Third parties can be gotten elsewhere) there is no value in it.

Zelda will look great on Wii U and Switch isn't that much better than it it seems. Then wait for CEMU and Zelda will look amazing.

Skyzard

Banned
I highly recommend playing this on gamepad - in bed if possible :)

For some reason it masks framerate drops, better than on the tv.

It also looks fantastic on the gamepad, like amazingly so - with the low detail backgrounds much less obvious on the gamepad screen - almost as if it's natural landscape. And less aliasing.

Thanks, it makes sense that it might be my setup. I'm running optical out from my TV which doesn't support 5.1 surround sound, so that may be the culprit. I thought it was weird!

OMG! Thank you so much! I've watched 3 memory cutscenes so far and I was wondering what was up.

No worries, happy to help.

----I was thinking about the gamepad being disabled when playing on the TV was for performance reasons...but if they gimped it for parity with the switch then that sucks...I guess it wouldn't take too much power to show an inventory on the gamepad - though I'm not sure.

Burny

I highly recommend playing this on gamepad - in bed if possible :)

For some reason it masks framerate drops, better than on the tv.

It also looks fantastic on the gamepad, like amazingly so - with the low detail backgrounds much less obvious on the gamepad screen - almost as if it's natural landscape. And less aliasing.

By then, I would highly recommend to go for a Switch. Also said to have better framerate in portable mode than docked, provides a far better resolution for a 6"-something image and works in every apartment without moving the WiiU from the living room if you have solid walls. Can also be sold afterwards if you're really not into another Nintendo console. ;)

Playing in bed is pretty much the only scenario for which I envy my buddy, who got it on the Switch .For everything else, I'm so far happy with the Wii U version, despite the occasionally choppy framerate, which seems to be present to some extend on the Switch as well.

So I'm planning on returning the Switch I bought until the launch issues get sorted out.

In the meantime, I'm looking at buying BoTW Wii U since I have no other option. Is it THAT bad on a TV? Or should I always play it on the gamepad. :(

So I'm planning on returning the Switch I bought until the launch issues get sorted out.

In the meantime, I'm looking at buying BoTW Wii U since I have no other option. Is it THAT bad on a TV? Or should I always play it on the gamepad. :(

I'm playing BOTW mostly on my TV. It looks great on my x800D with interpolation, i.e. running at a glorious 60 fps with no noticeable input lag. The aliasing is the same as MK8 and other 720p games on the Wii U. The resolution and texture quality are not as bad as Pokken Tournament's.

virtualS

Absolutely loving this game on WiiU. So beautiful yet so criminal how they removed Gamepad integration. WiiU has so much missed potential from both a graphics and gameplay point of view.

I'm hoping for a patch to bring all the Gamepad goodness back... perhaps inline with Switch touchscreen functionality.

It's so dumb for Nintendo not to use each platform to its full potential. If they're gimping both versions because of docked Switch mode (no touchscreen) then why enable docking at all? Gimped gameplay for some more pixels?

Link carries around a WiiU gamepad in game for crying out loud.

Would've been a much better idea to stream gameplay back to the TV WiiU style rather than being limited by an empty plastic dock.

I hope Nintendo plan on filling that dock with something slightly more interesting at some point in the future.

Burny

The WiiU version is fine, I've not seen any bad stuttering, just occasional frame rate drops.

It literally froze on me once for some 3-4 seconds during a fight and the framerate while Link rides through villages in the rain drops to what feels below 20 rather often.

That's not unplayable, because the framerate picks up again, but not a particularily well running game either. The game is too good for that and deserves some good emulation, to remedy both the low resolution and hopefully the inconsistent framerate.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about using the WiiU gamepad for inventory and maps. Would be nice, to have a map to complement the "Pro HUD", but then, for me it's nice to have everything integrated into the game and not having to look down as well. Every other game under the sun (not on Nintendo's dual screen systems) works without a second screen and so does BotW.

Although I am aware of what you guys are saying, I feel that it is worse with the Wii U than previous consoles/handhelds. I also buy games used while buying new games, because financially it is the only way I can keep up. With the Wii U (and select 3DS games) it has been far more tedious getting the games I'm interested in for affordable prices. Previously games were widely available on the Wii and DS that help lower the prices for the used market.

Well yeah, the 'dilemma' for lack of a better term is precisely in the bolded. The Wii and Ds were such huge sellers that there are tons of copies of most of the big name stuff out there, so it's kept the software prices for their respective libraries in check. I'm not quite sure how Nintendo goes about choosing its select line though, especially during the past gen. Something like StarFox 643D, for example, never got a selects release and didn't seem to have too many print runs, so that's always kept the value high. Same for something like Kid icarus....

Greddleok

It literally froze on me once for some 3-4 seconds during a fight and the framerate while Link rides through villages in the rain drops to what feels below 20 rather often.

That's not unplayable, because the framerate picks up again, but not a particularily well running game either. The game is too good for that and deserves some good emulation, to remedy both the low resolution and hopefully the inconsistent framerate.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about using the WiiU gamepad for inventory and maps. Would be nice, to have a map to complement the "Pro HUD", but then, for me it's nice to have everything integrated into the game and not having to look down as well. Every other game under the sun (not on Nintendo's dual screen systems) works without a second screen and so does BotW.

Crazy, it's never happened to me. Maybe I just got lucky and never had any fights in demanding areas.

I would like the inventory to be on the game pad, but I also have been playing a lot on the game pad while my GF watches TV.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Absolutely loving this game on WiiU. So beautiful yet so criminal how they removed Gamepad integration. WiiU has so much missed potential from both a graphics and gameplay point of view.

I'm hoping for a patch to bring all the Gamepad goodness back... perhaps inline with Switch touchscreen functionality.

It's so dumb for Nintendo not to use each platform to its full potential. If they're gimping both versions because of docked Switch mode (no touchscreen) then why enable docking at all? Gimped gameplay for some more pixels?

Link carries around a WiiU gamepad in game for crying out loud.

Would've been a much better idea to stream gameplay back to the TV WiiU style rather than being limited by an empty plastic dock.

I hope Nintendo plan on filling that dock with something slightly more interesting at some point in the future.
Yeah I'm with you, the entire thought behind the Sheikah Slate was clearly meant to be a representation of the game pad and it's functionality...and they gutted it lol. They at least could've left the world map on there. -_-

Oh well, the functions work perfectly fine on the TV, but it's hard not to be a little disappointed.

I was expecting the gamepad to house the map or inventory screen, was surprised it didn't as I haven't been following the game. Bought it on a whim, best impulse purchase I've ever made that I can remember.

Just as well though, I prefer the Pro controller anyways. Having a minimal on the gamepad for the pro HUD mode would have been fantastic though.

I think I've hit exactly one fight (not a huge spoiler, but
the Moblin on the bridge on the way to Zora's Domain
) where the game almost came to a worrisome stop.

Otherwise, the framerate has been tolerable. Gonna echo suggestions to drop the Wii U internal resolution to 720p if your TV has a good upscaler. A lot less jaggy that way.

Top Bottom