• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be interested in this Zelda spin off concept?

Does the Zelda spin off concept described in the OP interest you?

• Day one. If it's a Nintendo developed Zelda game, I wouldn't think twice.

• I'd be interested. Would have to see a trailer or two to be certain.

• I'm a Zelda fan but this sounds bad. I hope it's a remake, or something else entirely.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Apparently Jeff Grubb recently said that "Something not Tears of the Kingdom related is happening with Zelda later this year." Theoretically, would you be down if it ended up being...

A spin off Zelda roguelite.
- Campaign is ~5 hours.
- Uses Tears of the Kingdom + Breath of the Wild assets. Perhaps a color pallet switch.
- More difficult than BotW + TotK.
- Built to make player choice meaningful and impactful.
- Built to be replayed many times. Every run is different.

5e6e0fefd16a05b0c13e9abb0c310c6b857e1223.gif

What would your interest level be?

Trilobit

I think the idea would be similar to Majoras Mask. Re cycle the assets to make a different type of Zelda game.

That's something I expected the BotW sequel to be. A darker and smaller game done in the same engine. If we get something like this for the Switch it has been a pretty awesome little console.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The combat is the worst part of Nu-Zelda. Making a game designed around that would be awful if they didn't change the core combat. No thanks.

I was actually thinking this too. I think that area would need the most attention for this roguelite concept to work.

kiphalfton

Returnal is the only roguelike/roguelite I played.

Mainly because people wouldn't shut up about it. It's not a game I regret playing, but it isn't something I want to become more mainstream.

Laieon

I don't like roguelikes/lites, so no thanks.
I also don't like hard games, so no thanks x2.

Just give me a Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD port and we'll call it a day.

I wouldn't say no to a new 2D Zelda either.

Last edited:
Roguelite is a no, and any kind of BotW/TotK reuse is a big fat no too.

It'll probably just be something along the lines of a 2D remake or WWHD port.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Returnal is the only roguelike/roguelite I played.

Mainly because people wouldn't shut up about it. It's not a game I regret playing, but it isn't something I want to become more mainstream.

In the roguelite community, of which I am a mid ranking member, Returnal is viewed as a good game but a terrible roguelite. I would not judge an entire genre based on a singular poor representation.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Apparently Jeff Grubb recently said that "Something not Tears of the Kingdom related is happening with Zelda later this year." Theoretically, would you be down if it ended up being...

A spin off Zelda roguelite.
- Campaign is ~5 hours.
- Uses Tears of the Kingdom + Breath of the Wild assets. Perhaps a color pallet switch.
- More difficult than BotW + TotK.
- Built to make player choice meaningful and impactful.
- Built to be replayed many times. Every run is different.

5e6e0fefd16a05b0c13e9abb0c310c6b857e1223.gif

What would your interest level be?
It would be zero.

I was at maybe until I saw "more difficult than TotK +BotW"

I mean...why? The difficulty is 100% adjustable. If you want a challenge, attack a camp of moblins with a stick.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The combat is the worst part of Nu-Zelda. Making a game designed around that would be awful if they didn't change the core combat. No thanks.
Yeah, I had just finished playing ELden RIng before I started ToTK. I could never adjust to not having a single button dodge. I am now playing Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores and having a dodge button felt like heaven.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It would be zero.

I was at maybe until I saw "more difficult than TotK +BotW"

I mean...why? The difficulty is 100% adjustable. If you want a challenge, attack a camp of moblins with a stick.

That's like saying "If you want to make taking candy from a baby difficult, just tape together straws to form a hook device and use only your left foot."

It's exponentially more fun and rewarding to empower your character via interesting choices than it is to think of lame gimmicks to make your playthrough harder.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's like saying "If you want to make taking candy from a baby difficult, just tape together straws to form a hook device and use only your left foot."

It's exponentially more fun and rewarding to empower your character via interesting choices than it is to think of lame gimmicks to make your playthrough harder.
Yeah, that's exactly like what it is. If you want more of a challenge take it upon yourself to make it challenging instead of asking the developer to make it harder. For every one of you who wants a harder Zelda game there are many of us who have no desire to have a harder game.

It's a pretty sad world when people think that unless a game is harder that it can't be fun. TotK and BotW are hard enough as it is. Don't fuck with that.

Pimpbaa

How about a farming sim spinoff using BOTW world. You have to grow crops and take care of animals and then try to get your goods to market in another town so you have to fight monsters along the way. A action farming game has already been done (in games which I can’t remember due to weed), but it might be more interesting in BOTW/TOTK‘s world.

Top Bottom