• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RedFyn

Just stick a wiimote on your pro controller and you'll have gyro.

I'm assuming this isn't actually supported but if someone wants to try..

I'm getting very frustrated about the framerate. I prefer Ocarina of Time almost always stable 20 fps than 30 fps target dropping all the time. Entering in a village is a nightmare.

I agree. I noticed the frame issues before stepping out of the first cave. Rotating the camera outside is a nightmare. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my gsync monitor but from the way this runs, it seems like the Wii u is underpowered for this type of game.

Just stick a wiimote on your pro controller and you'll have gyro.

I'm assuming this isn't actually supported but if someone wants to try..

Maybe oh I Don't know, just be able to aim with the right stick.

Well Ive had a Wii u for 4 years now. Had some great memories. It all comes down to this, the game I've Been waiting for.

And it has mandatory gyro aiming. Kindasucks

But ill deal

tuco11

One thing to add is don't throw away the Classic Wii Controller because the Wii U Pro doesn't work with Wii games on the Wii U. Sad but true.

That's if you ever want to play an original Wii game on the Wii U.

Thanks. I wont throw away my Wii Classic Controllers. I use them to play SNES games on the NES mini.

I guess.
The framerate hasnt bothered me.
The boring, dead, empty, blurry world is a negative.

Also., not exclusive to the Wii U version, the controls are terrible..flat out. Nothing had been intuitive..i always think "how does this game do xyz" before pushing a button.

I'm guessing you're very happy your wife talked you out of the Switch. Since assets between both versions are identical.

Iolo

Well my preordered copy from Amazon showed up earlier than planned, so yay. But i'm in the middle of a game of Majoras Mask, so boo.

Freeman76

not what I want to read 😵

Its not that bad and honestly the game is so good that its just nice to be able to play it without buying a switch (which doesnt perform much better by all accounts).

Honestly I dont know how half these whipper snappers would have survived in the PS1 era and before.

yop

I've played a couple of hours and completed the tutorial area and have very little issue with the frame rate. There's been a couple of hiccups but it's not even close to impacting my enjoyment of the game. I'm now glad I held off on buying a Switch today.

I'm guessing you're very happy your wife talked you out of the Switch. Since assets between both versions are identical.

Big time. And good thing Best Buy didnt have any left!

I always knew Zelda wouldnt look great but i didnt think it would be this bad. I hoped the gameplay would be the pull and appeal but the buttons are just weird. Quick weapon switch is on the Right Trigger, B button and Left Bumper!! How about use the MGS5 method..D Pad-hold to switch.

The characters look pretty good..nothing good to say about the terrain or things in the distance.

I've played a couple of hours and completed the tutorial area and have very little issue with the frame rate. There's been a couple of hiccups but it's not even close to impacting my enjoyment of the game. I'm now glad I held off on buying a Switch today.

My thoughts exactly. I had one preordered, then canceled when I realized I can barely keep up with all of the games coming out for my PS4 (which I recently upgraded to Pro).

The frame rate drops in gigantic or crowded areas, but it doesn't really bother me. I'll wait for the second iteration of the Switch in a couple of years and then rebuy / replay.

Producer

i have some eshop credit and im debating hard whether to grab it or not. I really dont like the idea of buying an inferior version full price but then again i dont want a switch atm...and apparantly theres performance issues for both versions. Lol man it sounds so silly

At Target this Sunday there is a B2G1 on all games except Switch ones.

Target applies the discount as a 33% of the lowest price item off each title. So you can return any title and keep the discount on the one (s) you want.

So if you buy 3 $60 titles each one will be discounted $20. So you can buy Zelda as one of those three titles for $120 total and then return the other two for $80 back.

Keep in mind the discount is a third of the lowest price item.

So if you buy a $60, $50 and $30 title the return values of each would be respectively $50, $40, $20.

I know some people think this is sketchy or wrong but the thing is Target has done this for many years. If they felt the loophole was bad they wouldn't have kept it all this time. They specifically let you on the receipt return individual titles. They probably see it as worth it to get people to buy games.

Gozert

The framerate in villages is indeed terrible and absolutely un-Nintendo-like. I find it pretty annoying and I have no problems with even the PAL versions of the N64 Zeldas. Nintendo should really patch things up, even if it means dropping image quality a bit.

Outside of villages it's mostly fine, though.

Damaniel

Banned
I bought one for the Wii U so my girlfriend could play. The framerate is pretty rough at times (I've seen it drop below 20 FPS in a few places) but she hasn't found it detrimental to the experience.

(On the other hand, playing in portable mode on the Switch is pretty nice. I don't think I've noticed any drops below 30 FPS yet.)

The framerate issues are tolerable. It is really apparent in high density fights and villages where it really drops frames. Other than that it I am enjoying it.

JeTmAn81

It's framey. I'm noticing it, but it doesn't bug me much. I'm not sure if it's much better on Switch and it wouldn't be worth $300 plus tax for a slightly better framerate anyway. I'm satisfied.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I caved and ended up nabbing a Switch at Fry's when I stopped in in a whim running errands aroidn11:30 this morning. Will return my Wii U copy of Zelda to Best Buy.

Qwyjibo

So how is everyone else tasting their Wii U version of Zelda? Having trouble fitting the entire disc in my mouth.

That is what we're doing now, right?!

Discomurf

Just picked up the game - haven't played yet but noticed that there are control options for the Wii Remote and nunchuck -- crazy. Has anyone tried this?

The thread creator needs to replace that average-ass cover in the OP with the official (and much superior) North American cover:

127484b.jpg

Nothing I have heard or read has compelled me to purchase a Switch at launch. Adding $300-$450 to my Zelda price tag doesn't make sense. Download is almost finished on my Wii U.

It is all value proposition for me right now - I have an underutilized investment (Wii U) sitting right there and it runs the game I want to play... why spend more than I have to? I'll get a Switch at some point - but no rush. I really don't understand the rush right now. (Portability? That is the most compelling purchasing point right now, right?)

Lady Gaia

So far, so good! It's pretty much exactly what I expected so far – but then I'm only two hours in. Most pleasant surprise so far? Contrary to some of what I'd seen here, the Wii U Pro Controller works just fine with the Breath of the Wild.

So far, so good! It's pretty much exactly what I expected so far – but then I'm only two hours in. Most pleasant surprise so far? Contrary to some of what I'd seen here, the Wii U Pro Controller works just fine with the Breath of the Wild.

It fully works but it's just certain things require gyro so the game will prompt you to pick up the Gamepad for those sections.

The Switch Pro Contoller does have Gyro.

AdanVC

Been playing for around 3 hours, still on the great plateau and no issues whatsoever wich is great because this just saved me $480 dollars wich is the price of the Nintendo Switch here in Mexico! But now I'm reading that once you reach a village, framerate becomes even more horrible. Just how horrible, exactly?? To the point of being unplayable and quit the game or not that much??? :c

SandTorso

Framerate is generally fine, but the drops are real. Oddly enough they haven't happened when a lot of enemies are on screen for me, so I guess it hasn't been a critical issue.

Loving the game so far though. Truth outstanding

gardfish

Been playing for around 3 hours, still on the great plateau and no issues whatsoever wich is great because this just saved me $480 dollars wich is the price of the Nintendo Switch here in Mexico! But now I'm reading that once you reach a village, framerate becomes even more horrible. Just how horrible, exactly?? To the point of being unplayable and quit the game or not that much??? :c

Not even remotely that bad, it's just mildly choppier. I barely even notice it after a minute or two.

Just picked up a copy of the Wii U version at Wal-Mart. My wife is super excited. I'm really glad I didn't spend $300 on a Switch for one game.

renzolama

Wii U version is just fine, no worse than you'll get on Switch if it's docked. In certain populated areas the framerate will definitely drop to 15-20 and stay there consistently as long as you're viewing the same scene, but it's rarely at a time when it effects what you're doing in the game. I was ready to yell my head off about how terrible it was after the first half-hour, but then I remembered how janky Dark Souls was on 360/PS3 when it released and I loved the hell out of that game regardless. That's probably the closest comparison I can make in terms of the game having significant performance problems that do not ultimately detract from the quality of the experience (which is high). I suspect that anyone who cares about performance will probably grumble absentmindedly for a few minutes when they pick it up and then forget about it.

dickroach

I've played for probably like 4 hours, just gotten to the second village.
I'm still not used to the controls. I'll pick up a bomb when I want to change weapons, or attack when I wanna jump.... I dunno, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
I forgot how light the pro controller was. I seriously haven't used it in a couple of years.

yeah, there's a little bit of frame rate shit but idgaf

Opa-Pa

It does become horrible, but only while at the village. From what I've seen, generally, towns in this game seem to be "locked" 20 fps, feels like playing Ocarina of Time on the 64 all over again lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Maybe oh I Don't know, just be able to aim with the right stick.

Well Ive had a Wii u for 4 years now. Had some great memories. It all comes down to this, the game I've Been waiting for.

And it has mandatory gyro aiming. Kindasucks

But ill deal

No it doesn't. Game has right analog aiming as default. You can toggle gyro aiming in settings for those that prefer it.

The motion controls are mostly relegated to simple physics puzzles(like moving a ball through a maze you manipulate with motion) and they crop up seemingly very rarely.

I'm still not used to the controls. I'll pick up a bomb when I want to change weapons, or attack when I wanna jump.... I dunno, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
I forgot how light the pro controller was. I seriously haven't used it in a couple of years.

Still happening to me as well. It's like my brain automatically seems to assume certain buttons are assigned to tasks based on other standardized layouts, but in Zelda none of that applies. Still pushing the wrong buttons constantly but in time I'll condition, just kind of annoying.

kunonabi

The controller layout is just sloppy in general especially compared to nintendo's usual standards. It really feels like they didn't take the time to adjust a lot of things after ripping the gamepad features out.

Tanis

I'm so glad I went with the Wii U version. I was seriously considering getting a Switch when it would have been sitting unused until Xenoblade 2 comes out. I can also regift the Wii U copy to my niece for her birthday to save some more money.

I've played around 12 hours and am really enjoying it. I don't feel that I've flubbed anything gameplay-wise from a lower frame rate. I've done one boss fight which surprisingly ran without dropping frames at all.

It would be nice if the frame rate were more stable but it doesn't sound like the docked Switch version is much better. If the Switch had been a locked 60fps/1080 I probably would have broken and got one, but as it is I don't feel like I'm getting an inferior experience.

Go to 26:20 in this video to see it get really bad:

https://youtu.be/A06uX6MSme0

You can decide based on that.

If the Switch had been a locked 60fps/1080 I probably would have broken and got one, but as it is I don't feel like I'm getting an inferior experience.

Yeah this isn't a remaster situation like The Last of Us.

It's slightly better resolution and less framerate drops.

Nyoro SF

Canceled Amazon order and picked it up at Best Buy. Wasn't going to take any chances with Amazon playing funny games.

The Best Buy near me had a lot of Switch stuff behind the counter. Quite a few copies of BOTW for both Switch and Wii U.

Canceled Amazon order and picked it up at Best Buy. Wasn't going to take any chances with Amazon playing funny games.

The Best Buy near me had a lot of Switch stuff behind the counter. Quite a few copies of BOTW for both Switch and Wii U.

I had to go to two Gamestops today and asked about the Wii U versions. One had 5 copies left. The other said they were given 20 and 15 were preorders.

Also the Walmart Switch display I saw today was crazy. It was in the Wii U section and two rows were covered with a Switch sign and the only games were in the single row above. It was only 7 Zelda copies, 3 Bomberman and 4 Just Dance copies.

I checked at a Target I was in if they had Zelda Wii U copies in preparation for the B2G1 sale Sunday. They had none and so did most of the stores around me. There was only 3 and 4 copies in two stores.

Hoping they last till Sunday or they get a restock.

Oibignose

Played a few hours of the Wii u version last night. Was doubtful this would be as good as horizon but it has grabbed me and I will complete this before horizon.

I have noticed a few frame rate drops and I haven't got to a village of any sort yet. Nothing that ruins the gameplay, I found the last guardian awful in that regard and it's not as bad as that in my opinion.

Controls are not as intuitive as I'd like either but became easier the more I played. The gameplay is fantastic and the world is beautiful. So far so good!

Wii U at launch. And will probably get the Switch version when I eventually get a Switch... but it looks like the only real difference is in resolution.

Top Bottom