• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Played the Wii U version for 13 hours so far. And its very good :D Yes there are some slowdowns in some areas but the majority of the time the game just runs fine. Gameplay is exellent and its just fun and and it feels like its your adventure.

UrbanRats

Unfortunately 60 fps isn't possible because the framerate is capped, but 4K will soon be a reality thanks to the power of Cemu.
I cancelled my amazon order, im thinking of waiting on cemu for it, playing other games in the mean time.
Ill buy it in some months, when hopefully some more progress will have been made.

Assuming i dont cave before.

I completed my first dungeon yesterday. Without spoiling anything, the performance is a problem.

With spoilers:
This is in regards to the Zora dungeon. There's a sweet action sequence before you enter it where you have to use the freeze rune while skidding across a lake.. and the framerate was just absymal. The mechanic also pops up during the boss fight and again, it wasn't ideal.
The framerate was an actual detriment to the gameplay. :\

Caved and bought this despite performance concerns on both platforms. I'll be playing a digital copy on Wii U on a 4K tv. Will be quite the change from my PC, but hey, it's Zelda.

dr_mario

My googling was unsuccesful, but maybe you guys now just thetrick. So. I started the game on my girlfriends wiiu account, and suddenly she's all against it, with me already like 10 hours in. Never mind my relationship problems, I probably misunderstood something. She will accept it in the end, but is it somehow possible to copy the savegame to my own Wii U Account? Mind: Not an own Wii U, just an own account.

Pizza

I'll get the switch eventually, so I'll grab it to pad out my library of games for that purchase

Still gotta finish Tokyo mirage sessions

Ill be getting the Wii U version I am interested in the switch, but literally would only play Zelda right now, and since the Wii U version is apparently not completely terrible, Ill be going that route.

arlucool

My googling was unsuccesful, but maybe you guys now just thetrick. So. I started the game on my girlfriends wiiu account, and suddenly she's all against it, with me already like 10 hours in. Never mind my relationship problems, I probably misunderstood something. She will accept it in the end, but is it somehow possible to copy the savegame to my own Wii U Account? Mind: Not an own Wii U, just an own account.

No, I don't think it's possible. The only thing that's there for this cases is system transfer of the data on her WiiU to yours. It transfers EVERYTHING and doesn't allow you to individually select saves.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If the only reason you'd get switch is for Zelda and you don't care abut playing mobile, yes. Wii U has similar hiccups as docked switch.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Weird that the framerate isn't bothering me. Yes I notice it and in some areas it does impact the experience. But as a PC gamer I wasn't expecting much. And comparisons to OOT are exagerating.

Sizzel

Nixxed my Switch pre-order and grabbed the WiiU version. It is beyond excellent. I can live with any technical hiccups and eventually CEMU will fix a lot of things. The difference like better sound? I saw nothing in comparison vids that justified the Switch version over WiiU if you didn;t already own both systems. and a few more p's weren't enough to make me buy the Switch. 100% happy with my choice.

Deku Tree

So apparently if your playing BotW on Wii U and you have your console set to surround sound then you never hear the voice acting. Gotta switch your console to stereo to hear it...

I was wondering when I would hear some voice acting about 15 hours into the game.

GRW810

Having sunk about 15 hours into the game I'm perfectly happy with the Wii U version. Yes there are some stutters and framerate issues but by and large I'm absolutely blown away by everything.

Got the Wii U version. Happy with it. Towns are very stuttery, but it's plenty playable. I think knowing that you're getting an equivalent experience to switch owners makes it it a no brainer.

Nyoro SF

The framerate in villages is really bad and enough to give me a headache sadly.

Watching Switch streams and the problem is the same there, so no real escape unless you perhaps undock the Switch.

Having a huge blast with the game though. Really, the village framerate is the only bad part of the game so far, and that's saying something given how far in I am.

G0523

Like I said, I saw physical copies on store shelve, don't know what else to tell you...
Check Brickseek.com to see if there are any physical copies near you. Here's the DPCI for looking it up: 207-30-7004

There weren't any near me and I am not willing to drive far to get it. Hopefully more copies will trickle in throughout the week...

So is this one of Nintendo's more notable technical blunders of a mainline series? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Wii U version but whenever I get frame rate strutters, I think "This isn't the Nintendo polish I know!"

Still gorgeous art direction....

jbueno

Thankfully Wii U and Switch versions are plentiful here in Mexico, though everything Swictch is too damn expensive right now. Don't plan on getting a Switch until Mario Odyssey hits, so I might just get the Wii U version.

Yes Boss!

Thankfully Wii U and Switch versions are plentiful here in Mexico, though everything Swictch is too damn expensive right now. Don't plan on getting a Switch until Mario Odyssey hits, so I might just get the Wii U version.

Well worth it. Plays perfectly fine.

Plus, there is something about playing it on a Wii U after being in development for it for so long. Nice final game.

Prolly been playing for about ten hours or so...and barely did anything other then explore and see the world.

ktroopa

I bought a switch and the wii u version of BOTW. I wanted to own the last great game on wiiu. Im wondering which to play if course and tbh 720p vs 900p doesnt bother me. What i do want to know is how big a deal is HD rumble and is it used well in the game, and also implementation of joycon control - is there fishing ? ;)

GRW810

I was fighting against 2 enemies just now and I thought the WiiU stopped working. The game is gorgeus but it can't stand 2 enemies + any climatic effect at the same time, it's a shame.
On the other hand I've been brawling amongst half a dozen bokoblins and had no issues.

knerl

On the other hand I've been brawling amongst half a dozen bokoblins and had no issues.

On Wii U here and performance 40% of the time is absolute shit. On the brink of unplayable. Their biggest game ever and this is what we get. Even on Switch while docked apparently. Ruins the game if you ask me. Here's to hoping we get a patch that fixes it on Switch at least.

I was fighting against 2 enemies just now and I thought the WiiU stopped working. The game is gorgeus but it can't stand 2 enemies + any climatic effect at the same time, it's a shame.

Played 15+ hours, multiple times against groups of enemies in every kind of weather, never had more than small hiccups. Now towns, that's another story, but at least there's no real action happening there so I deal with it.

Edit: The "small hiccups" I'm referring to are the drops to 20fps, never seen it go lower.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This game is absolutely amazing.

I cannot think of a more complete package than this. Best swan song release ever.

That's disappointing going to wait and see if they patch it

The dips aren't that bad at all, and the visual fidelity at 720p is high enough that this game pushes the Wii U to its absolute limit.

On Switch docked apparently there are some strange areas where the game dips for no reason, but on Wii U the dips (which are probably about as often as on Switch) appear where you'd expect them very.

Some slight location spoilers here:
(For example, Kakariko Village dips quite a bit, as does Zora's Domain and anywhere with lots of enemies).

I don't see another update unless there's a gamebreaking bug found. Nintendo is done with Wii U, this was the last thing of note they ever planned to release.

Yes Boss!

On Wii U here and performance 40% of the time is absolute shit. On the brink of unplayable. Their biggest game ever and this is what we get. Even on Switch while docked apparently. Ruins the game if you ask me. Here's to hoping we get a patch that fixes it on Switch at least.

Ridiculous talk.

If that unplayable I would give up on it as your expectations are too much.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yep, I got a rain storm in a village and it was borderline unplayable. Amazing game nonetheless, but let's not sugarcoat the frame rate problems.

This is the best-looking game ever released on the Wii U. It also has an enormous draw distance and an ambitious open-world at the same time. That's hardware-intensive.

You have to remember that the Wii U is only marginally more powerful than the Xbox 360, a console released in 2005.

Also, it uses a CPU that is (greatly enhanced but still) the last of this line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_7xx

Not to mention the game is high-definition, outputting a full 1280x720p framebuffer.

It's not surprising that a heavily physics-based and gorgeous game would drop a few frames.

I have no problem, I expected a few dips, it's completely okay and worth it for such an amazing game.

I find the removal of the Gamepad features far more egregious than the frame rate issues.

Yeah, that was indeed sleazy of the big N to remove, that I'll agree, though I guess it's possible that it caused performance issues.

EmiPrime

Was watching the beginning of the Giantbomb quicklook and the firs thing I thought was how nice the gamepad map would have been for an open world Zelda.

Would have been great for selecting runes, weapons etc too.

More than that though, the Sheikah Slate in-game is the Wii U Gamepad itself! IMO the true vision for this game was sacrificed just so that the Wii U version had nothing extra on the Switch version. I've lost some measure of respect for Nintendo because of this. If they wanted the Switch to have its time in the sun I wouldn't have minded Wii U BOTW coming out a month or two later with the Gamepad features intact. That's just me though.

Yeah, that was indeed sleazy of the big N to remove, that I'll agree, though I guess it's possible that it caused performance issues.

I am not a dev but if this was done to eke out extra performance wouldn't the Gamepad display nothing instead of blinking a message?

Top Bottom