• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Zweizer

Banned
Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch1-4 by Nakamura Yuji

Our protagonist is your usual weak little high school student who gets bullied everyday, until he receives a mysterious package from his dead grandfather which grants him the power to fights monsters.

That is, the power to charm all the bad girls. Bullies, delinquents, gyarus and anyone else who goes against the image of the meek and servile woman.

w3ZFN8q.png

And of course, he stumbles upon the baddest girl of them all, who of course becomes completely smitten with him.

An amusing enough premise, even if at its core it recycles the usual harem formula.

wamberz1

We Never Learn 1-5

Alright, I've given this a fair shake and I'm ready to drop it. I don't really care about another stereotypical romcom where nothing gets accomplished for 200 chapters. Characters don't interest me, premise is dull. Maybe it's just not for me, idk. I might jump back on board if someone tells me later it gits gud but for now I'm out.

To the above ^ That sounds really interesting. I'll give it a read.

upandaway

Hungry Marie 1-2

Pretty cute, didn't expect the Furuichi clone to grow into Kanzaki. Curious to see how Marie is.

I think Beelzebub's weakness was that it didn't really have something to stretch into a 200-chapter series, honestly feels the same for this one too so far but who knows

Zweizer

Banned
Hoshin Engi is also surprisingly dark. And weird.

The setting is neat though, and there are some cool fights and powers.

Diavalo gets stuck in an infinite timeloop of him dying in different ways

Its like Cars but worse

Yeah, Diavolo gets fucked over and over until Made in Heaven is done, Cars just literally died of boredom.

the worst thing is that he's not even dead, man just decided to just stop using his brain cause he just feels like shit when he uses it. even if we're still in the same world after heaven's door Kars is still out there in space floating around doing shit. I feel for the guy, even if he was a piece of shit scumbag lol

cntr

Banned
the worst thing is that he's not even dead, man just decided to just stop using his brain cause he just feels like shit when he uses it. even if we're still in the same world after heaven's door Kars is still out there in space floating around doing shit. I feel for the guy, even if he was a piece of shit scumbag lol
always liked how even though he was in part 2 out of 8, Kars is still one of the strongest characters in the series, and only a handful of guys could plausibly kill him.

makes sense that he got defeated like he did.

Who could even actually beat Cars? Best I can think of is Giorno with Requiem but that sounds more like a stalemate

Zui Wu Dao 1-47

This is like a chimera of every Jump series ever with kung fu on top and I kind of really fucking like it?

Yeah, Hoshin Engi was a surprisingly good series.

And my judgment on RomCom harems or stuff like We Can Never Learn is basically if it makes me laugh or has funny reaction faces because I will almost never be satisfied with the actual plot or developments in a RomCom, which is why Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa is so good and stands apart so severely from the rest.

Like, every harem romcom is going to have 0 development so I've just learned not to actually expect or hope for anything from them.

Lain

Real Account volume 1
IIoc.jpg

I realize that I'm not really a fan of survival stories. Something over the top like Highschool of the Dead or Btooom! I'm fine with and enjoy. Even something kinda mediocre like Cage of Eden I can have fun with.
This Real Account tho totally started on the wrong foot. The set up is simply nonsensical. The whole turning it into a show because apparently watching these 10k people die has been a hit makes no sense as well, especially when at the start we're told that Reac grew also thanks to government involvement, so I can't believe the government isn't supposedly involved in this whole bullshit.
Then add in the little sister look-a-like and the end of the volume with the deranged psycho mascot in the game turning up at the door of the little sister and I just...
Yeah, I haven't enjoyed it, at all.

Yamada 120 to End

I really enjoyed this manga ever since I saw the anime. The ending felt a bit rushed but I enjoyed it and I'm glad yamada had a happy life. I wish they could have added more angry "I'm not boring" shiraishi though. Seeing her get so pissed over a comment like that added some much needed depth.

Poor Noe :'v second best girl is forever alone.

The Little Match Girl 9

8lZp6DY.png

Riiiight? We're back to our regularly scheduled programme now. It's not like I don't have some sympathy towards her frustrations, but bottling it up to that extent is just unhealthy. Would've been more therapeutic if she'd taken that bat to a few people's heads instead. For the next few weeks I'll be more careful with my facial expressions when I'm talking to someone I want to asphyxiate.

You can't hide Lee Chaolin's manliness behind superficial traits like hair and glasses! Even if he's not riding the unicorn, his manliness cannot be contained!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Kekkon Yubiwa #26

Well that escalated quickly, back to the
normal world

Real Account volume 1
IIoc.jpg

I realize that I'm not really a fan of survival stories. Something over the top like Highschool of the Dead or Btooom! I'm fine with and enjoy. Even something kinda mediocre like Cage of Eden I can have fun with.
This Real Account tho totally started on the wrong foot. The set up is simply nonsensical. The whole turning it into a show because apparently watching these 10k people die has been a hit makes no sense as well, especially when at the start we're told that Reac grew also thanks to government involvement, so I can't believe the government isn't supposedly involved in this whole bullshit.
Then add in the little sister look-a-like and the end of the volume with the deranged psycho mascot in the game turning up at the door of the little sister and I just...
Yeah, I haven't enjoyed it, at all.

Stop, ReAca is my favorite of the genre. :(

wamberz1

Rokudou no Onna-tachi 1 - 3

Had mixed feeling at first. But then...

Rokudou no Onna-tachi 4
source.gif

That was great. Loved the conclusion to the fight and aftermath, got way more real than I thought it would. The MC showing some actual weakness in having to call for help really subverted my expectations, I thought he was going to just beat him up with some manly power crap, but nope he lost both physically and mentally, no matter what that guy said.

I hope we get to explore how kind of fucked up it is that this power essentially forces girls to fall in love with him, basically acting as a forced automatic mind control. Dude is purple man without the evilness.

Also, apparently wearing long skirts in japan is a delinquent thing?? The hell? That's super weird, I had no idea.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
It would be really strange if the series ended in the middle of their first year while the series is a Top 10 seller.

I don't think it is strange at all. If they manage to get elite 10 seats, they're pretty much on top. I'd say there will be one arc about Soma mom to trully finis the series and the author could wrap it up without being too long like bleach or yamada and the 7 witches.

Kieli

I don't think it is strange at all. If they manage to get elite 10 seats, they're pretty much on top. I'd say there will be one arc about Soma mom to trully finis the series and the author could wrap it up without being too long like bleach or yamada and the 7 witches.

They're half-way through first year, and we're already 20 volumes in. Can't imagine the series going for 100+ volumes, so they'll speed things up.

Moaradin

Yeah, I'm not too sure where Soma can go after all this Azami business either. Azami felt like a way to expand the scope of the series, but that backfired tbh. Now it feels like the author is trying to wrap up that plotline quicker than he originally planned.

convo

Yeah, I'm not too sure where Soma can go after all this Azami business either. Azami felt like a way to expand the scope of the series, but that backfired tbh. Now it feels like the author is trying to wrap up that plotline quicker than he originally planned.

Rival schools maybe? They don't seem to exist as with all japanese media the peak of any discipline is located in japan and their school is at the top. They can always put in characters with more ambition who pose an actual threat. Right now we have to get through the current council of ten to get to something completly new.

Sandfox

They're half-way through first year, and we're already 20 volumes in. Can't imagine the series going for 100+ volumes, so they'll speed things up.

I'm expecting the manga to end in their second year. Probably one or two more "big" arcs after this one.

Souma's goal is to be at the top and he's nowhere close to that yet. He can't even touch the higher up elite 10 members.

Lain

Stop, ReAca is my favorite of the genre. :(

I remembered someone here liked it. What makes you like it?

I really didn't like how out there felt the setup, by which I mean, they start with showing a pretty normal world with pretty normal people and then suddenly someone switches a program on and people's consciousness of the (most obsessed) ones registered on this social network are kidnapped and, supposedly, no one (in the law enforcement) is doing anything to stop this madness as more than 5000 people died, many of which because other people, watching this thing unfold, willingly let them die while acting as if it wasn't their problem.

Basically the scenario feels pretty disconnected to me. But maybe I've missed something. Ataru gave a nice speech once to save the fake idol and he did a nice gesture saving his sister when he blocked her but other than that he didn't even feel like MC material to me.

Tell me what you like about this so I can try and see it from another angle.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I guess they could theoretically end a series about going to a high school in the middle of the first year and just skip all the set up plot arcs like the mom or surpassing the rival or the stuff with his father while the series is currently a huge seller and Jump is struggling and in the middle of an arc where the MC specifically tells his rival and the deuteraganist that has spent 90% of the series out of focus that she is in charge but why would that happen

Scandal (one-shot)

Idols and yuri, in that order. It's the author's debut work so some of the writing feels a little rough, but I heartily approve of the direction it took, even if it was predictable. And let's face it, the pair's trust issues meant they were bound to separate sooner or later anyway.

iDOLM@STER - I'm Grown Up (SFW doujin)
This is why the best way to interact with your fans is from behind a security barrier. Or while holding a stun gun. If the CG producer was here instead then the story would've likely played out differently, and with 1/5 of the dialogue.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch517

Or just don't punch her at all.

The Little Match Girl ch9

Society is tricky. Unfortunately, I doubt the matches are the best long-term solution to one's frustration.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch47.5

That went well.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch22

Oh, the honey badger.

Well, good thing she's not very aggressive. Good luck, big sis!

mdubs

Banned

Series is selling too much though. They need to get to the end game where Soma can actually beat his dad, and we've got a lot of building to go before that is a realistic sell

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm expecting the manga to end in their second year. Probably one or two more "big" arcs after this one.

Souma's goal is to be at the top and he's nowhere close to that yet. He can't even touch the higher up elite 10 members.
After this arc over (which i prdict would take at least 5- 6 volumes) i'm sure Soma will be qualified for elite 10 seats. Now the problem is where he go from there.

I mean I guess they could theoretically end a series about going to a high school in the middle of the first year and just skip all the set up plot arcs like the mom or surpassing the rival or the stuff with his father while the series is currently a huge seller and Jump is struggling and in the middle of an arc where the MC specifically tells his rival and the deuteraganist that has spent 90% of the series out of focus that she is in charge but why would that happen

Series is selling too much though. They need to get to the end game where Soma can actually beat his dad, and we've got a lot of building to go before that is a realistic sell

Azami manage to topple Tootsuki top management pretty much made him the final boss. After this arc over, the series need to expand beyond Tootsuki if they want to keep things fresh.
I don't think we ever going to see Soma beating his dad. We probably see going to see Soma manage to get close to his level, but not enough to beat him (seriously, soma dad is too OP)p
Now, i know Jump won't let it end early, but
I sure hope this series not going to jump the shark like yakitate

cntr

Banned
Also, apparently wearing long skirts in japan is a delinquent thing?? The hell? That's super weird, I had no idea.

The story goes that long skirts make it easier to hide weapons in them, like a wooden sword or something.
IIRC, the original reason was that the shorter skirts were part of the required uniform, and getting a long skirt was a simple way of disobeying the rules without having to put in too much effort. And then it became a generic trope shorthand for "hey this girl is a delinquent" even after it stopped being a big deal in real life.

the weapons thing sounds more like something someone made up to justify banning long skirts

Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (Part 1) (NSFW)
A (male) hunter, whose father was killed by a vampire during his childhood, fails spectacularly in his quest for vengance by losing to, being gender-swapped by and becoming a love slave to that same vampire. Winner of the March 2017 award for The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. It's fairly text heavy and reads like a cross between a manga and a light novel, with the art taking a slight back seat. I read the raws a while back so I already know largely how it plays out, but unusually that's only increased my enthusiasm to see the rest translated.

Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (Part 1) (NSFW)

A (male) hunter, whose father was killed by a vampire during his childhood, fails spectacularly in his quest for vengance by losing to, being gender-swapped by and becoming a love slave to that same vampire. Winner of the March 2017 award for The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. It's fairly text heavy and reads like a cross between a manga and a light novel, with the art taking a slight back seat. I read the raws a while back so I already know largely how it plays out, but unusually that's only increased my enthusiasm to see the rest translated.

Is that the actual title?

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) The Call of Heresy by Kaguya

Liliel, an archangel, is looking for heretics who are gaining traction. Unfortunately for her, she was quickly subdued by one of these heretics, who reveals their religion's master plan: to grow dicks and mate with her in order to legitimize their faith.

Sounds like a foolproof plan!

Now that's one religion I can get behind with.

Is that the actual title?

More or less. It's a Pixiv comic that's getting translated recently. The artist is Kouji.

Top Bottom