• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Zweizer

Banned
Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch5

It just got more complicated. Too bad for her, according to the rules of manga romance, she doesn't stand a chance.

Lain

Just because I started buying the American releases of the Re:Zero novels, they were announced in Italy along with the manga. Life is suffering.

upandaway

Hakumei & Mikochi 26

Every once in a couple of chapters it hits me that this manga is pretty much perfect

Dungeon Meshi 12

Even lore and flashbacks are food now. I think Laius is officially the looniest in the party.

Dungeon Meshi 13

Marcille with bed hair was pretty great. I really love Chilchak but he should chill out, dude nearly got himself killed there. Whenever I learn (the hard way) that a game has mimics I just attack every chest on sight, not falling for it.

Also what the heck how old are Marcille and Senshi, 29 is grandpa age. They're not like 60 are they?

I remembered someone here liked it. What makes you like it?

I really didn't like how out there felt the setup, by which I mean, they start with showing a pretty normal world with pretty normal people and then suddenly someone switches a program on and people's consciousness of the (most obsessed) ones registered on this social network are kidnapped and, supposedly, no one (in the law enforcement) is doing anything to stop this madness as more than 5000 people died, many of which because other people, watching this thing unfold, willingly let them die while acting as if it wasn't their problem.

Basically the scenario feels pretty disconnected to me. But maybe I've missed something. Ataru gave a nice speech once to save the fake idol and he did a nice gesture saving his sister when he blocked her but other than that he didn't even feel like MC material to me.

Tell me what you like about this so I can try and see it from another angle.

Some of your concerns is just about reading a bit further and additionally in v2 for the main story and protag Yuuma.

I liked Real Account because it felt so different than other trapped in game world stuff, mainly because there was still interaction with the outside world and people in the outside world could directly affect some of the things going on. It just felt like a really unique concept. I also like the Ataru plot situated around him as well as Marble's motivations. Also the games are just such interesting thought experiments.

Akatsuki No Yona Ch137: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She gone and done it! And Hak's reaction was perfect! ahahahah!!

wamberz1

Rokudou Just Wants To Live a Quiet Life 5

Mostly setup here. I have to say, I hope the artist can improve his reaction faces. That second to last spread of everyone "hiding" got me good but Rokudou's reaction was a bit lukewarm. I guess I'm just used to the over-the-topness of Jitsu Wa and Grand Blue.

Speaking of which...

Grand Blue 29

You get a friendzone! and YOU get a friendzone! EVERYONE GETS A FRIENDZONE!

Hilarious chapter as always. Interesting to see what the ramifications of that ending are.

Kouhei may be one of the funniest characters in all of manga. Nay, in all of FICTION.

Also THE RETURN OF THE LIGHTER HELL YES

Normal girls are the worst.

I do obviously get why he's so uncomfortable with this new attention, what with all of them having treated him like shit and then all of a sudden showing interest in him, but he is surrounded by great girls. Fat girl and crazy hair girl are obviously the best ones.

I do enjoy that his friends aren't being played as useless, typical angry/hates him friends. They're legit worried about his new attention, called Ranna when he was gonna get murdered and are following him out of concern.

Ranna looking around for him was super cute too.

Spoilers have me still interested in this because it doesn't go the way you'd figure a shounen manga would go

Grand Blue 29

Dammit man, your best chance is already down the superior Azusa route, just commit!

I'm actually sorta impressed he just straight came out and said that shit when asked. Of course he's gonna end up with Chisa, I'm just waiting for that turn.

Numb

So dumb this manga
Such a wimp even people under the spell and love him still see it

Zweizer

Banned
Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch33.5

lZYs9XH.png

The best kind of tsundere.

I hope she makes more appearances~

Found it. But only one chapter has been translated. From 222 days ago.

Oroka na Tenshi wa Akuma to Odoru 1

We start off with color pages of a boy looking at a girl sitting by a window.

Then it cuts to a balding man with tears in his eyes guiding an obscured transfer student to his class. The teacher assures that everyone in the class will be kind to him. The student is introduced as Masatora Akutsu, the son of a monk who has premature balding as a result of mistaking hair removal cream for hair growth. This immediately garners sympathy from the entire class in his favor.

However, the baldness was a ruse. The teacher pulled on a price tag attached to his head revealing that Akutsu had been wearing a bald wig. Sensing his teacher's wrath, he starts pulling out his hair and establishes himself as a weirdo. As he walked to his seat, Akutsu spots a beautiful girl named Lily Amane (transfer student) in the desk next to him. Alas, love is in the air. He contorts on the ground while the teacher begins the class. This person must become his girlfriend.

Suddenly, a classmate walks up to Amane and confesses to her and is swiftly shot down. Another student, Yuya Tanigawa, starts dropping exposition about the other student Kensuke Hirota and his failing conquest. Hirota buddies up with Akutsu in part for his bald escapades. They then talk about Amane. Invigorated, Akutsu heads off in order to become her boyfriend.

Of course, this means that the two bump into each other as they're leaving school. After some small talk, Amane invites Akutsu for tea. However, disaster approaches as a truck heads towards her while the two are at a crosswalk. Akutsu rushes forward and stops the truck. Amane walks over to the him and smirks. She quickly grabs his arm and the two run away from the scene.

Amane confronts him about his identity and Akutsu reveals that he is a demon. After some more exposition about a war between angels and demons, Akutsu asks Amane to join him in their war effort as their leader. He gushes over her cuteness and personality for a while. And then Amane interjects that she is in fact an angel and binds him with chains. Sudden personality shift. She casually mentions that she had purified a demon earlier that day, infuriating Akutsu. But he is no match for her.

Though in the end, Amane offers to spare him if he helps her with an assignment. Akutsu reluctantly accepts and is given a collar to wear. And the scene that follows is something amazing.

Interesting premise. It's always nice to see how someone is going to twist the concept of two individuals finding out that they're on opposite sides. It's clear the the author is having a lot of fun with this. Some stories start big. Some stories start small. This one starts weird. That ending scene is will set the mood for the entire run.

upandaway

Helck 1-3

That's a pretty funny concept, didn't expect him to turn out to be a criminal (had to google fratricide). Still can't trust him yet though obviously if he's carrying that picture around. Demons being the good guys isn't really that unique of a setting but it's actually been a while since I've seen it.

Helck 89.2

Great speech by Helck <3

Helck 90

That was a such a low blow by the King. But dat curveball at the end. Seriously.

Also Piui omakes are the best.

LeleSocho

Banned
Helck 1-3

That's a pretty funny concept, didn't expect him to turn out to be a criminal (had to google fratricide). Still can't trust him yet though obviously if he's carrying that picture around. Demons being the good guys isn't really that unique of a setting but it's actually been a while since I've seen it.

You are finally reading it!
You will learn how great Piui is, in today's chapter he was fantastic.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 29

Yeah, of course it wasn't gonna be as easy as climbing up the wall and skipping away. Interesting that the entire area is a group of plantations.

I also don't really buy the cliffhanger here. He still has the pen on him, which no doubt will be a get out of jail free card of some sort.

Yona of the Dawn ch. 137

Moves were certainly made this chapter, whew.

we can't study 5

So I guess Furuhashi is starting to have some feelings for the main character already.

dr stone 1

Well that sure was weird.

Helck 90

Surprise! Demons were created by the Ancients as vessels to return to. It's like the plot of NieR.

You would think the King would be smarter than that but he was pretty desperate. I suppose Helck is going to save the Ancients as well now.

I've always been...averse to manga (or anime) since usually 9 times out of 10, I can't get past the art. Or at least the art in most manga and anime I came across.

Last year I finally got into manga with Parasyte and Junto Ito's works, which certainly helped soften my perception of manga.

Finally discovered the next series to interest me: Blame, Biomega, and Knights of Sidonia. Nihei's style just suits my preferences perfectly. Well, Blame at least; that's the only one I've started reading at the moment. Other two are on my wishlist. I very much love Blame's minimalist visual storytelling approach. That approach is what drew me to Samurai Jack as well

Any chance for Berserk of being available digitally one day? That's the other series I have to read; it looks incredible

Any chance for Berserk of being available digitally one day? That's the other series I have to read; it looks incredible

Dunno at this point, but Dark Horse's volume releases are extremely high quality.

If you like sci-fi you should probably check out the Akira manga and Planetes. Maybe They Were Eleven and A, A'

I've sorta given up on the idea of DH publishing Berserk digitally at this point. Which means if you want to legally read it:
  • Stalk Ebay for weeks to get a Lot that includes most of the volumes for cheap (This is how I got 3/4's of HxH manga at around $3.30 a volume)
  • Wait for amazing sales on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles etc...the best you can really hope for is 50%-60% off.
  • Make your wallet hate you and buy it in bulk for a semi-normal discount (InStockTrades seems to have the best normal discount on it, at $8.69 a volume. Which is 42% off the normal price)

Re:BIRTH 2 - The Life Taker 0.2
Huh, so she reappeared quickly. At least, I'm assuming that's her from the artificial(?) left hand, knife and destructive tendencies. But if the author's switched character names as part of the transition from manga format &#8594; webtoon then I'll be displeased, since I've come to associate 'Ayaka' with yandere shenanigans.

(NSFW) The Call of Heresy by Kaguya

Liliel, an archangel, is looking for heretics who are gaining traction. Unfortunately for her, she was quickly subdued by one of these heretics, who reveals their religion's master plan: to grow dicks and mate with her in order to legitimize their faith.

Sounds like a foolproof plan!

Now that's one religion I can get behind with.
You're doing god's work, but you also missed out the most important part - how cute the main priest was. 10/10 would commit heresy with.

rezuth

Where is the best place online to sell manga? I have a few collections of Yokohama Kaidashi Kik&#333; and Gunnm that I'm looking to offload, although I guess they might not be worth anything?

Zweizer

Banned
Finally discovered the next series to interest me: Blame, Biomega, and Knights of Sidonia. Nihei's style just suits my preferences perfectly. Well, Blame at least; that's the only one I've started reading at the moment. Other two are on my wishlist. I very much love Blame's minimalist visual storytelling approach. That approach is what drew me to Samurai Jack as well

If you like Nihei I'd suggest you read Dorohedoro by Q Hayashida. It has that same kind of rough artstyle which gives off a bleak and dirty yet mesmerising atmosphere, and the story/setting are most unusual, though not cyberpunk. Hayashida was Nihei's assistant if it might quell your worries.

Or series I'd suggest are Solanin, Goodnight Punpun, Delicious In Dungeon (first volume comes out in the US in May, but it's worth it), Gunnm, Number Five and Hellsing.

You're doing god's work, but you also missed out the most important part - how cute the main priest was. 10/10 would commit heresy with.

It's no wonder they have such a large following~

Lain

Some of your concerns is just about reading a bit further and additionally in v2 for the main story and protag Yuuma.

I liked Real Account because it felt so different than other trapped in game world stuff, mainly because there was still interaction with the outside world and people in the outside world could directly affect some of the things going on. It just felt like a really unique concept. I also like the Ataru plot situated around him as well as Marble's motivations. Also the games are just such interesting thought experiments.

I see. I'll keep reading some more volumes and see.

Meanwhile...

Alice in Borderland volume 18 [END]

So that was the answer to what that place was.
The whole struggle to
save Usagi
was kinda great.
I didn't exactly like the obvious
memory loss
afterwards but hey, overall it was a damn good story and conclusion.

I'd also like to mention that Mira's expressions and face kept reminding me of some other character in some other manga/story but for the life of me I just can't remember who it could be.

Revo

Piano no Mori 238

Sensei deserves happiness!
And geez, so much press stuff about Kai.

Hajime no Ippo 1171

Can't believe we almost got 3 matches done in 1 chapter.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch518

Back to the beginning we go, but this time with 100% more Carol!

Keijo ch132

Being a Counter is surprisingly tricky. Good thing they're such supportive friends~

I bet panda can decipher this.

Fbh

The Promised Neverland 29

It was to be expected that it wouldn't be as easy as just jumping over the wall. But it's nice to have it confirmed now.

I don't think this is it for Norman. If they just wanted to have him walking into the room and be killed I think they could have done so this chapter. He also didn't mention anything about the Pen to the other 2.
So my guess is he either has a Plan or Mama has something special in mind for him (they are supposed to be extremely valuable even compared to the other kids, so mabye there is another ritual or he is kept alive or something like that.)

Li Kao

Decided to try reading Manga again, as a fresh batch of new series began it seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Dr. Stone 1

Worst of the batch atm. The plot begs for a huge suspension of disbelief, which is not the end of the world, but at the end of the day it was just a big intro and I have nothing to really love about it yet .
Let's hope the second chapter has that little something.

Poro no Ryuugaku-ki 1

The issue was nice, light, funny at times, just not sure it can keep being interesting enough.
Light, but good fun.

Hungry Marie 1-2

Absolutely bonker. Some great panels or character design. A really "what the hell am I reading" vibes in a good way. Still not totally sold but it really gave me an itch to discover 'Bellzebub' if the total wackiness of HM is also in B.
So yeah, I don't know what I'm reading but you have my attention.

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai 1-4

A weird mix of "it's cool I like it" and "ffs I'm dropping it now" read. I am totally not a prude but the cheesecake is so out of left field sometimes. And as issues go by I realized I was clearly in your typical Love Hina riff...
That being said, it was a nice read and I have a confession to make... I really liked Love Hina :eek:
Guilty pleasure ?

U19 1-2

A real surprise. The pitch looked stupid, the overall edgy vibe feels too forced and cartoonish to be taken too seriously, but... I loved it. The art is great, the characters are appealing, next issue please.
Surprisingly endearing.

A very good night overall. I'm just still quite reserved about Dr Stone.

Still have to discover -
The Promised Neverland
Dungeon Meshi

Quick jump start impressions before I drive home and read the rest

Dr Stone 1

So a survival series, the leads seem like they can be fun enough to make it work need to see where the premise goes in chapters 2-3. Great art helps this a lot.

Hungry Marie 2

Lots of hijinx this chapter, the comedy was really effective and the cast collectively is fun this is the best of the jump starts.

Poro Demon Diaries 3

This was a predictable chapter but the only chapter that worked for me. I still say this is the weakest of the 5 jump starts but it's certainly better then spring weapon was.

Dr. Stone 1

Maybe they can stay shirtless and such, please. Otherwise I like post apocalyptic stories but in a world without technology and other things of sci fi nature it will be kind of dull. Hopefully it can get as say exciting as Green Worldz, and have stone creatures and enemies to face.

BLack Clover 100

I cant predict this manga at all, that was such an epic power for Vanessa, and the cat was really cute. Took me three reads of certain panels to pierce together what happened before the plot told me, which was nice.

BLue Exorcist 88
C6P4n06U4AIfrOd.jpg:small

I thought she would kind of end up with Yukio in canon...odd.

Rin is kind of dumb lol, why would he ask Sheimi directly.

JUMP start impressions

Dr.Stone 1

That Color Page! Holy snap!
6e97c6b869f676f4aa50cad440b4a4f5.jpg

This was a nice first chapter and a very cool end of the world moment. I like the character designs. Will wait on how this develops.

Hungry Marie 2

I actually really liked this chapter! The comedy was pretty good and I like the switcheroo body thing. Hopefully next week chapter solidify my stance on it.

Poro's diaries 3

Still the best of the bunch. Solid comedy yet again. That one moment at the start wehre he says to Poro *you must be popular huh?*
44938ffa2fff5a61552369e00dcb4770.jpg

Really loved the way they handled the relationship between Poro and his future wife. Poro still looked badass too. Hopefully VIZ picks it up.

So far I would say it's

1.Poro
2.Hungry Marie
3.Dr.Stone
4.U19
5.WNL

Joe Molotov

I don't follow the manga scene too closely, but it seems like a lot of yuri manga has gotten English releases in the past few months. Bloom Into You, Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Kase-san, Secret of the Princess, NTR, Murcielago, plus Hana + Hina and Love to Lie Angle coming out in a few weeks. Anything else worth taking note of?

Honestly, my knowledge of yuri manga is pretty bad. Most of it is incidentally yuri, like Murcielago. I just read so few romances of any pairing that I'm a bad source for those.

Most of the stuff I read with gay/trans characters is less about romance more about the issues of being gay/trans in Japan such as The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness or that...manga I always recommend that I can't remember the name of about the gay kid with a crush on his senpai who hasn't come out but hangs out at this mysterious tea house with others like this lesbian in her 30s and a younger boy who crossdresses.

Viz Shonen Jump 3/6/17 (see above post for jump starts)

One Piece

I'm glad that each story arc is giving focus to a different member of the super novas. The series had hyped them up at sabody yet outside of Law and Kid the others barely had enough screen time to give a lasting impression.

Black Clover

This almost makes vanessa too powerful if her power doesn't have a limit its gonna be even harder for any fight to have tension when she's around.

Blue Exorcist

Did we ever get a full shiemi back story? Are we sure she isn't like a humanoid plant that'll die soon or some such nonsense. This whole plot twist seems out of nowhere.

Food Wars

I can't tell if this series is getting the axe or if just this arc has been given the "too unpopular punt to the next story arc" because we've skipped pretty quickly from a multi stage test to confronting the council of 10 and central in the finals without any extended training scenes.

Promised Neverland

The pen is still the big question, the fact Norman emphaised he lied to Ray and Emma makes me think he isn't prepared to die here and has some crazy ace up his sleeve. The fact the plant is surrounded by a valley is clever the situation truly seems hopeless.

Seraph of the End

I wonder if this series is heading towards its finale, the world seems big enough for the story to go on for awhile, but a good chunk of the mysteries have been answered and all the major players are meeting up in one place.

Seraph Latest

That moment with Yu crying and Mika coming to hold his hand...it was too much, such a sweet moment. I love these two so much.

Black Clover

I'll echo everyone here. Vanessa is too strong. I am sure she won't be able to use her power so freely. Clearly or else the story is broken

Blue Exorcist

Rin is an idiot, I love him.

the rest was ok...no comments.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't follow the manga scene too closely, but it seems like a lot of yuri manga has gotten English releases in the past few months. Bloom Into You, Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Kase-san, Secret of the Princess, NTR, Murcielago, plus Hana + Hina and Love to Lie Angle coming out in a few weeks. Anything else worth taking note of?

A Kiss and a White Lily, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and the most promising: The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness.

cntr

Banned
I'm kind of surprised people are judging Dr. Stone so harshly, since the first chapter's clearly meant to be a bombastic hook to get people interested. The plot's for later.

also I guarantee that near the very end of the manga, they'll revive the girl, have a confession, and she'll say "no"

Food Wars

Odd that they give us a time skip like that. We could have had the usual Food Wars silly time antics.

Promised Neverland

If Norman dies!!! Ugh. Not this.

Owari No Serafu

In canon boys holding hands, perfect. Why cant WSJ be more like superior JUMP SQ?!

C6P96UfWQAEUoXC.jpg:small

We even still get our usual YuuMika stuff
C6P9tgHWAAMxCGD.jpg:small

Top Bottom