• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunstarhero

Any impressions on Dark Net on the PS4? I remember being interested after seeing Jeff play it on Oculus (or Vive?) back when those units first released.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Any impressions on Dark Net on the PS4? I remember being interested after seeing Jeff play it on Oculus (or Vive?) back when those units first released.

It's quite good actually. Very polished, Clean graphics, simple puzzle mechanics mixed with hi-level strategic elements. I've lost myself a good hour into it.

Controls are point and click via DS4 (not the head). Sad there is no Move support. Would have been much cooler to play one-handed.

gunstarhero

It's quite good actually. Very polished, Clean graphics, simple puzzle mechanics mixed with hi-level strategic elements. I've lost myself a good hour into it.

Controls are point and click via DS4 (not the head). Sad there is no Move support. Would have been much cooler to play one-handed.

Thanks! Just picked it up.

Planet

So playing Dirt Rally in VR makes the PS4 not want to record video? Why is that?
The mechanism to provide a different view for TV than the headset is showing uses the resources normally assigned to video recording. The PlayRoom VR is another example, or Catlateral Damage, or Keep Talking. Once this feature is turned on, recording is turned off.

Dirt Rally has asynchronous multiplayer (even though I heard it sucks), but I don't know what's on TV when you just play alone. Still, that is the reason.
Is the only way to live stream and save it that way??
Looks like it.

Grinchy

Banned
Haven't tried it yet, but last I played (a month+ ago) it felt rock-solid, tracking-wise, with my Ps4Pro and Move Controllers

Yeah that was the one game that felt like it tracked really well for me. I did a lot of complaining about the tracking in other games during the launch months, but RoB was not one of the ones I think ever deserved complaints.

Hasney

I need to try Tumble VR again. I put it down after 2 levels because the shakiness on the move controller made it feel silly.

Planet

At a PlayStation VR focused session at GDC yesterday, Technical Product Manager at PlayStation, Tom Bruckbock, was asked about Sony's plans on software support for the new peripheral. In response, Bruckbock stated that the company was indeed working on entirely new titles built with the device as a foundation.

[...] Bruckbock also confirmed that zombie shooter The Brookhaven Experiment will receive Aim controller support.
Source

Resident Evil 7 - the best single player experience right now
Robinson Journey - I enjoyed this one a great deal
REZ - a must have game with ton of replayability
Until Dawn - a lot of fun
Batman - short but very impressive
Wayward Sky - a great adventure game

These would be my picks as far as single player experiences go.

bumpkin

Resident Evil 7 - the best single player experience right now
Robinson Journey - I enjoyed this one a great deal
REZ - a must have game with ton of replayability
Until Dawn - a lot of fun
Batman - short but very impressive
Wayward Sky - a great adventure game

These would be my picks as far as single player experiences go.
As someone with PSVR who tends to game solo most of the time, I endorse all of these selections. The only one I'd add is Dirt Rally. It's tough as nails and does give some people the barfs, but if you have your VR legs and like racing, it's top notch; way better than Driveclub VR.

Krisprolls

Banned
As someone who tried 3D SBS videos on Littlestar latest version, I'd say PSVR now has its killer app.

3D videos look glorious with tracking and all. Penguins never looked so real.

All you need is a USB key (FAT or exFAT format). Put the videos under a Littlstar (no 'e' ) folder on the key. Videos must be named whatever_180_sbs.mp4 if they're 180 Side-By-Side, which is the most common format.

The "_180_sbs" part is mandatory and case sensitive (sometimes it may be _360_sbs too for 360 degrees SBS videos, or _360_ou for over / under videos).

1080p videos run fine but you may get stuttering for 1440p and beyond videos. I'll try with an external hard drive, stuttering should be gone on higher resolutions.

I can't see why the aim controller isn't a shell that I can put a move into. I didn't realise that the game was available on its own even so £75 is steep.

I'm making my own out of toilet rolls.

The Aim Controller has different tech inside than just simply putting to move controllers on a piece of plastic.

Either way you aren't forced to buy the Aim Controller, just buy the game then.

cakefoo

The Aim Controller has different tech inside than just simply putting to move controllers on a piece of plastic.

Either way you aren't forced to buy the Aim Controller, just buy the game then.
What is/are the alternative control schemes? I read it's just Aim or DS4. So there's no Move+DS4 option?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah that was the one game that felt like it tracked really well for me. I did a lot of complaining about the tracking in other games during the launch months, but RoB was not one of the ones I think ever deserved complaints.

It definitely did, and I have plenty of video to show.

The new tracking videos look great, the z wobble and drift in RoB killed it for me.

Cyriades

VR Bangers Unleashes First 'Hack' Ever for PSVR Stereoscopic 3D Videos

978aad4bef1437af64021fbaf673.jpg

VR Bangers has now released a legal hack guide for PSVR fans that enhances their experience and enables them to watch all of the VR Bangers virtual reality videos in 3D Stereoscopic. The experience is mind blowing and gives a completely different fully immersing feeling

https://www.newswire.com/news/vr-ba...ever-for-psvr-stereoscopic-3d-videos-19052330

cakely

I can't see why the aim controller isn't a shell that I can put a move into. I didn't realise that the game was available on its own even so £75 is steep.

I'm making my own out of toilet rolls.

The aim controller, unlike the move controllers has nearly all the DS4 controls on it: Both thumbsticks, R1, R2, L1, L2.

The move controllers have no thumbsticks at all. Yeah, that seems like a pretty big oversight.

Yeah I was bummed, but I got my $15 for spending $100 last month, so I'll probably just use that.

Got that newsletter and went directly to check on PSN... ;(

I mean, everything I've heard it's one of the great VR experience so far. I think I've just trained my brain so much nowadays to wait for sales( not like $20 breaks the bank, but still). I feel as though we're due for a VR flash sale or something soon, a good way to burn the $50 in my PSN account. I probably should have acted on the last VR sale several weeks ago before I got my unit.

MultiCore

???

That has never been done before, why would you even do that combo?

Control movement with stick on the controller in one hand and aim with the move controller?

I get what you're saying ... hold the DS4 in your left hand, thumb on the thumbstick, fingers on the triggers.

It would work, but it feels awkward.

Yeah, something similar used to be an option for PS3 games where you didn't need to purchase the Move Navigation controller, and you could use a DS3 in its place.

It would make sense here as well.

However, I understand the Aim controller has more buttons available than the Move does in its similar position.

As someone with PSVR who tends to game solo most of the time, I endorse all of these selections. The only one I'd add is Dirt Rally. It's tough as nails and does give some people the barfs, but if you have your VR legs and like racing, it's top notch; way better than Driveclub VR.

I really need to get Dirt Rally. I recently got Playseat Challenge and Thurstmaster T300 too. I enjoy Driveclub VR, but I admit that environments do not look all that great in that game.

pachura

I wonder what's going to happen if the Littlestar creators patch this out?
They won't. It is not a "hack" as the clickbaity title suggests; it is a publicly-announced & long-awaited feature.

As someone who tried 3D SBS videos on Littlestar latest version, I'd say PSVR now has its killer app.

3D videos look glorious with tracking and all. Penguins never looked so real.

(...)

1080p videos run fine but you may get stuttering for 1440p and beyond videos. I'll try with an external hard drive, stuttering should be gone on higher resolutions.

I beg to differ. 1080p videos look awful due to pixelation. Many videos appear too close to the viewer, making watching uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, the most naturally-looking videos I tried were 360 degree over-under ones.

Now, when it comes to video stuttering - I did some tests using my USB 3.0 pendrive (read speed 146 MB/s). The stuttering depends on the combination of video resolution, framerate and bitrate. For instance, I was able to smoothly play 3840x2160 30fps and 3400x1700 60fps videos as long as their bitrate was below 10 Mbit/s. For 2880x1440 60fps and 2560x1440 60fps videos, the ideal bitrate was around 14 Mbit/s.

The stuttering might also depend on other H.264 encoding parameters (B-frames, CABAC, bufsize etc.). And of course, Littlstar doesn't support H.265 / HEVC codec nor any other video containers than MP4.

Generally, videos made for Oculus Rift don't work. Videos made for smartphones work (unless they are HEVC), but 1080p isn't enough. Videos made for GearVR are generally fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom