• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really mixed feelings about what I'm reading in here this morning. On the one hand I'm really disappointed to hear what people are saying about the animations, characters, and writing. But on the other hand, what I really value in games tend to be visuals/aesthetics, world-building, and gameplay mechanics, and those all sound great. I'd argue that even the games with the best writing are about on the level of a B-grade action movie.

Feeling excited and disappointed simultaneously right now, tbh.

One thing that struck me is that in a lot of ways, Alec is set up as a stronger Shepard analogue than the PC, early on. He's the N7, he's the Pathfinder, he's the one giving inspiring speeches as we head down to H7. Let's see how that goes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's a shame the animations feels incomplete in a lot of cases. Gaming side is focusing so much on this that it makes the game look like a joke(the thread made especially for making fun of the animations doesn't help). I wouldn't want to be in Bioware's shoes right now, but they should have expected this to be honest.

dr_rus

(launch trailer spoiler)
We saw the twin in the launch trailer, surrounded by Ketts. So yeah, you'll see her/him later in the story

Ok, thanks, this cements my decision to play as a male. The only thing left is to decide if I'll even play the game...

Patryn

It's a shame the animations feels incomplete in a lot of cases. Gaming side is focusing so much on this that it makes the game look like a joke(the thread made especially for making fun of the animations doesn't help). I wouldn't want to be in Bioware's shoes right now, but they should have expected this to be honest.

Having now played some of the game, I'm re-emerging.

GAF has, for a long time now, wanted both the game and Bioware in general to burn. Unfortunately, it's clear that Bioware has given them a lot of fuel to work with, and I doubt the game will ever be more than a joke to most of Gaming.

I am extremely disappointed in the character creator. It's stunning how it's such a step back from even the original trilogy character creation system, especially given how great the DAI character creator was. I assume that it's due to Bioware needing to be able to craft Alec Ryder's face?

Regardless, it was a deflating way to start the game.

emag

Okay, just subscribed to Origin Access to test the trial, as everyone else has much newer, much more expensive video cards in the performance thread.

You'd hope a 7870 could run the game at least as well as a PS4 (which uses a cut-down version thereof). Let's find out if I should cancel my preorder.

EDIT: Worst case, I get to play Furi (which was on my Steam wishlist).

EDIT2: Maintains a framerate well above 30 FPS on default/auto settings (borderless 1080p, everything on medium with shaders on low) on Intel 4770/Radeon 7870 (2GB VRAM)/16 GB RAM, all stock. Close to 60 FPS (uneven) with default scaling (900p), closer to 45 at native 1080p (40-60 on Nexus). Certainly playable and good enough to keep the preorder. LoD on the Nexus is terrible, though -- characters in the background are Dreamcast crowd quality.

Lt-47

Having now played some of the game, I'm re-emerging.

GAF has, for a long time now, wanted both the game and Bioware in general to burn. Unfortunately, it's clear that Bioware has given them a lot of fuel to work with, and I doubt the game will ever be more than a joke to most of Gaming.

I am extremely disappointed in the character creator. It's stunning how it's such a step back from even the original trilogy character creation system, especially given how great the DAI character creator was. I assume that it's due to Bioware needing to be able to craft Alec Ryder's face?

Regardless, it was a deflating way to start the game.

Yeah I can live with bug, those can get patched. But bad animation and Character creator seems like stuff that can't be improved unfortunately.

I don't know if that's the one reason why they did that but it certainly played a part in it. Trying to mix different morphed face together to make a new one usually ends with weird deformed faces.

Still I think going full face scan instead of building on top of what Edmonton did with DA:I was definitely a big mistake.

JeffG

Got my first 3 hrs in. My impressions so far. Playing on an XBox One S (4k TV with HDR)

Performance: Didn't notice any issues.

Character Creator: Disappointing, given the capabilities of DA:I's CC. But since the rumour is that it will be updated later, so I went with the default Female Ryder.

Graphics: Terrains/worlds look great. Aliens look great. Humans look ok. Think of DA:I characters with slightly better hair. Beards suck too. The uniforms do not look as nice as DA:I, but I think that has more to do with the style of clothing they are wearing. Monotone space uniforms. The armours look good.

If you compare the Human Models to other games of this generation, They do fall short.

Animations: I find them to be on Par with DA:I. There is some jankyness, but no more than any other Bioware game. Cora does walk weird though.

Gameplay/Combat: Feels good. I had to lower the sensitivity a bit so that my aiming didn't jump around.

Pace: Feels slower. I played till I got the Tempest (and promptly saved and stopped playing). That took me 3 hrs and I tend to skip codex entries and not listen to the complete asari archaeologist recordings.

Overall: Still feels like Mass Effect. So if you like Mass Effect, you will feel right at home here.

Patryn

Character Creator: Disappointing, given the capabilities of DA:I's CC. But since the rumour is that it will be updated later, so I went with the default Female Ryder.

Rumor? When?

I will say it's super disheartening seeing the reaction to this game. Most of the people I know who are gamers think the game is a joke, and are trading bad animation GIFs around like candy. They're comparing it to AC: Unity.

JeffG

Rumor? When?

Lady Insanity heard from a developer that an update was coming "Later". No other details that I know of. She is dialled in with Bioware enough to be considered a good source. (The posts are earlier in this thread yesterday sometime.)

JeffG

I will say it's super disheartening seeing the reaction to this game. Most of the people I know who are gamers think the game is a joke, and are trading bad animation GIFs around like candy. They're comparing it to AC: Unity.

I know it set the expectation for me. But playing the game I just didn't notice it that much. No more than DA:I anyways (talking about the bad animations)

JeffG

Darn XBox One S/4K TV and screenshots with ME:A are snafu'ed

Screenshot-Original.png

hmmmmm....saved image is 1280x720 inside a 1920x1080 image

Rumor? When?

I'll tell ya what though. Before joining GAF, I used to put this place on a pedestal. Seeing all of this though, and the kind of bullshit that gets accepted, I'm just now realizing that this place can be just as bad as any other.

B00TE

I love/hate that I can track the trial time on the origin overlay, but man it stresses me out lol. It needs to be Tuesday already.

Garlador

I'll tell ya what though. Before joining GAF, I used to put this place on a pedestal. Seeing all of this though, and the kind of bullshit that gets accepted, I'm just now realizing that this place can be just as bad as any other.
I'm split.

I'm such a huge Mass Effect fan. I don't want the game to be subpar in any area. I really am well and truly rooting for it. The first cinematic trailer was the first time I truly felt like "okay, this is looking pretty good", and I'm sure I'll get it, but perhaps not right now.

And I know that GAF can be ruthless at times, but... I'm not blind to actual problems either. I try to be an informed gamer. I read the reviews, previews, impressions... I watch the gameplay demos. I get a feel for how the game is coming together.

I can't deny that the game feels well and truly incomplete in many features that are important to me. I STILL HAVE AN INTEREST... but what I see determines whether I get the game day 1 or wait for these problems to get ironed out.

And this is why. Patching in character-creator features I absolutely would use is not a small detail. That's the very start of the game, affecting my main character, and lasting throughout the entire experience. I play Mass Effect with custom characters. That is important to me. I spend hours in the CC of prior games getting things "just right", so lacking all my opinions at launch is a deal-breaker until they get patched in.

I'm waiting to hear if any other source can confirm this. That's shocking to me that one of the most important features of the game isn't finished at launch, at least for a player like me. Someone else will just roll default, but I'm not one of those players. I need my CC options.

Ovek

7Member7

I don't think thats necessarily the case, I think most people expect more from Bioware and to be frank I have no idea why.

Anyway nothing on Gaf relating to Bioware will ever top Shit Mountain the Dragon Age 2 OT.

Patryn

You guys can make the OT2 for this thread when it's time. I'm not really up for it much.

I know that I have come back with a touch of negativity, but I'm really sorry that the reaction to MEA has pierced your optimism and positive outlook. It's one of the things I have always admired about you.

DOWN

Banned
I don't think thats necessarily the case, I think most people expect more from Bioware and to be frank I have no idea why.

Anyway nothing on Gaf relating to Bioware will ever top Shit Mountain the Dragon Age 2 OT.
Nah it seems pretty much like no matter how well received a BioWare game is, people want to say the flaws make it subpar. Things they didn't care about back in the trilogy they loved are now considered signs of failure.

Garlador

I expect more from Bioware because I grew up with Bioware. Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age... They were leading the pack. They were trend-setters. They were the top dog.

But now they're in a field with more competition. We have games like The Witcher and Horizon leaving their mark.

I still expect it be good, and great... but I'm still pretty confident in saying this is the roughest looking Bioware game I've seen right before launch. I'm confident most issues will be patched out, but that doesn't negate some puzzling previews. I feel like EA just told Bioware Montreal that the game needs to get out the door now and they'll fix the biggest issues later... something EA has done with plenty of other games before.

Nah it seems pretty much like no matter how well received a BioWare game is, people want to say the flaws make it subpar. Things they didn't care about back in the trilogy they loved are now considered signs of failure.
GAF can get overly critical, yes, but I cared about those flaws in the original games too. Trust me, I hated every bug I encountered, from a few sloppy animations to head tracking getting glitched to janky animations (especially in ME1). But they weren't enough to sour my overall experience, and they were infrequent at best. A single flaw may not cripple a game, but a surplus off them build up over time. And, well, yes, I do expect them to get BETTER at it over time as well, not just static or even worse in some regards.

I fully expect Andromeda to be more than the sum of its parts and be excellent in spite of this, however, but this is going to be the first Mass Effect game I don't get at launch. And I really don't enjoy saying that either. Mass Effect is my second favorite franchise, besides Zelda. I loved the franchise enough to buy my friend an Xbox 360, all three games, and all the DLC just so she too could play it and we could have fun talking about it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm split.

I'm such a huge Mass Effect fan. I don't want the game to be subpar in any area. I really am well and truly rooting for it. The first cinematic trailer was the first time I truly felt like "okay, this is looking pretty good", and I'm sure I'll get it, but perhaps not right now.

And I know that GAF can be ruthless at times, but... I'm not blind to actual problems either. I try to be an informed gamer. I read the reviews, previews, impressions... I watch the gameplay demos. I get a feel for how the game is coming together.

I can't deny that the game feels well and truly incomplete in many features that are important to me. I STILL HAVE AN INTEREST... but what I see determines whether I get the game day 1 or wait for these problems to get ironed out.

And this is why. Patching in character-creator features I absolutely would use is not a small detail. That's the very start of the game, affecting my main character, and lasting throughout the entire experience. I play Mass Effect with custom characters. That is important to me. I spend hours in the CC of prior games getting things "just right", so lacking all my opinions at launch is a deal-breaker until they get patched in.

I'm waiting to hear if any other source can confirm this. That's shocking to me that one of the most important features of the game isn't finished at launch, at least for a player like me. Someone else will just roll default, but I'm not one of those players. I need my CC options.

ME3 also had issues with its character creator at launch. Uploading your Shepard face from ME2 didn't always work and resulted in weird faces/colors.

Sure it's not the same as missing features, but still. :p

But I get where you're coming from. I was still able to make a decent looking male with what's available right now, but I'll probably wait until this updated character creator get released before playing my 2nd (female) Ryder.

Exhausting to fight the fight.

Don't let it get you down.
I'm not down...it's not even solely about this game really. It's just a video game. I've had discussions with people who think the original games are shit, never bothered me. Heck I've called out a bunch of stuff in BioWare's games before that I think they could improve on.

I've just noticed the cynicism and pettiness rise over the past couple years. It's been building up, and constructive and valueable discussion waning. It's not the kind of community or group of people I like to chat up about games with. Once I start getting accused of astroturfing and junk like that, I realize what I say doesn't really mean anything. The circlejerking's gotten too large for meaningful and valuable discourse.

You all have been fun to chat with, and I've loved all the great people I've met from this site, but it's not worth it since it's become an echo chamber.

I'm not down...it's not even solely about this game really. It's just a video game. I've had discussions with people who think the original games are shit, never bothered me. Heck I've called out a bunch of stuff in BioWare's games before that I think they could improve on.

I've just noticed the cynicism and pettiness rise over the past couple years. It's been building up, and constructive and valueable discussion waning. It's not the kind of community or group of people I like to chat up about games with. Once I start getting accused of astroturfing and junk like that, I realize what I say doesn't really mean anything. The circlejerking's gotten too large for meaningful and valuable discourse.

You all have been fun to chat with, and I've loved all the great people I've met from this site, but it's not worth it since it's become an echo chamber.

It's weird. I'm sure the mods let those things run rampant out of the need to not stifle discussion. But in actual reality, even I am now simply avoiding those threads because it's basically like talking to a brick wall. There's no point in attempting to inject any nuance in the conversation, because most of the people in those threads aren't in it for actual discussion or nuance or conversation. They're getting their enjoyment from simply shitting on the game.

Sad to hear though, hope you'll come and share your thoughts when you finish up the game :)

JeffG

I get what you are saying.

I am a huge Bioware fan, but I am 50+ yrs old and I feel like I am watching children argue. (Some probably are children...others just man-babies)

I want to answer most posts with "Are you really that fucking stupid? Its a video game."

But I have to hold back or I would lose my mind. lol

Well, I hate what's happening but I think it's high time AAA RPG developers realize they need high quality animations to go with their cutting edge graphics.

I understand that face mocap for games like these is insane time and cost wise but they need to find another solution, The Witcher was decent only because the devs put insane work into it (they revealed it in a video or post some time ago) and still you could see they were reaching limitations.

Seriously, BioWare, I love you guys and I appreciate what you've done, I see lots of new facial expressions as well as effects (combat and otherwise, biotic charge is insanely cool) and I can tell you have put work into it, but, when models and textures get this realistic we need life-like expressions. We are going to expend A LOT of time watching people talk in this game, if they look like mannequins these kinds of stupid reactions are bound to happen.

I just wished it wasn't my favorite series that finally got most of the flak.

X-Frame

Anyone think that the EA Access and the review emarbgo being the 20th isn't helping this pre-release timeframe?

I am purposely not reading Previews but noticed YouTubers able to comment or answer questions on what they're able to talk about now, but are unable to talk about some positives or aspects they really liked because that falls under embargo.

So we have all this discussion now about the beginning of the game but we won't be able to hear about the full game for another 4 days.

Garlador

If anything, we need you to stay here more than ever.

Look, I've been honest with my criticisms and skepticism of Andromeda. We've personally talked about this. I've had my peaks and valleys in terms of looking forward to this game. You told me over and over "this issue will be addressed" and "you're gonna love this next trailer" and more often than not you've been correct. I still think the first cinematic trailer was the trailer I had spent 2 years waiting for, the first time I actually felt like "this is a real Mass Effect game".

But... you're also not wrong on the budding cynicism, only I don't think it's been merely the last couple of years. Dragon Age 2 left a SOUR impression with many, and then Mass Effect 3 (which even I adore) basically imploded on itself with the controversy about its ending. That was a megaton bomb that years later still hasn't cleared out the fallout. You can't even talk about ME3 without mentioning the ending. I'm someone who actually even likes the ending post-Extended Cut, but I know the general tone of that game is one with a shadow of disappointment, outrage, and anger that lingers still.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a more recent example, and I'd be lying if I said that, despite enjoying my time with it, it was a far more bloated, boring, and uninteresting title for me to slog through than I wanted. As a controversial opinion (perhaps not), I think I enjoyed playing DA2 more than Inquisition, despite acknowledging all the flaws that game had.

But I was there when the Bioware forums imploded over ME3's ending. When the fanbase love affair died. When every single thread, every single topic, was inescapable in its thunderous cries of protest and outrage, demanding answers and accountability. I remember the polls. I remember the rants. I even contributed a few more reasoned and cool-headed ones myself. But I was keenly aware that, in those weeks and months that followed, the giant group hug that was the Mass Effect fanbase was permanently and irrevocably shattered. We no longer were posting funny comics about our love interests, no longer gushing over who had the best loyalty mission, no longer sharing our thrilling stories of who survived the Suicide Mission, no longer speculating on which parts of ME1 and ME2 our saves could carry over into ME3, no longer coming up with our ideas of how ME3 would resolve all these conflicts, no longer making connections, forging friendships, or keeping each other happy and hyped.

It was over.

The Bioware forums turned into a cesspool practically overnight after the ME3 ending debacle and it never recovered. It was too caustic, and it really bums me out because those folks were, at one point, one of the most creative, funny, uplifting, positive, clever, and supportive fanbases on the planet. Even the start of ME3's ending had us get together to send them cupcakes as both a sign of our displeasure and yet a thank you for all their hard work, or arranging charity play sessions to drum up "Hold the Line" changed ending campaigns but put towards a better cause. But the cynicism and anger won out, even after the endings were addressed.

And it spilled out to everyone else. Bioware shut down their forums, and many of those Mass Effect fans gravitated elsewhere, many of them coming here (like myself).

The general perception of Bioware shifted hard since then. No longer were they the kings of RPGs. No longer were they genre-defining, trend-setting, or guaranteed masterpiece-making. For all my criticisms, I HATE the way history has been altered. "Bioware games were always like this. Bioware games were always this janky. Bioware games were always this bad. That's some trademark "Bioware jank" tm."

BS. Bioware was so ahead of the curve ten years ago that I feel like I'm from a different timeline. They were steamrolling over their competition in regards to visuals, animations, dialogue, player choice, characterization, world building, and ambition. That's what hooked me in the first place, and it's why so many of us revisit those older titles. So many of them still hold up, still are special, and still stand head and shoulders over their peers.

But the perception of Bioware has shifted. Many initially blamed EA for this, and there's some truth there. EA's business interests slowly disrupted Bioware's self-sufficient talents. We began to see them alter their ambitions to suit the corporate demands that EA imposed on them ("get DA2 out in two years!" "Add in these microtransactions!" "It needs multiplayer!' "Make mobile tie-in games!" etc.), but Bioware was talented enough to keep their corporate masters at bay and spin straw into gold in many cases. That simply couldn't last forever.

I don't think Bioware is as good as they used to be. I don't. The culture of gaming caught up with them and has begun to leave them behind while other franchises have picked up their torch and ran with it. But at the same time, the revisionist history of Bioware from jaded fans and skeptical gamers does a huge discredit to Bioware and Mass Effect, painting not just a certain scene as bad, or a whole game as awful, or a whole franchise as garbage, but a whole amazing team as "lazy devs" and slackers unable to make something groundbreaking again. To a far lesser degree... I felt that as a Zelda fan following Ocarina of Time until Breath of the Wild, with amazing games that still felt like safe imitations of a winning formula spinning its wheels for 19 years.

But that's a discredit to the legacy of Bioware and Mass Effect. From tackling major player-driven consequences to saves transferring between titles to loyalty missions to dynamic camera angles during conversation to merging RPG mechanics with action mechanics to so much, SO much more. We see its influence in countless, amazing games today, ones that would not have been anywhere near as good without Bioware laying the groundwork for generations to come.

We have forgotten. We have grown complacent. We take the things Bioware built from the ground up for granted now that everyone copies what they did well.

But, we should take time to remember, regardless of what Andromeda's perception is, despite wacky bugs and glitches that'll be ironed out, that Bioware gave us far more than we ever expected, and raised the bar so high that even they eventually couldn't meet the lofty standards they set for the whole entire gaming industry.

And if ME3's entire debacle has taught me one thing, and one thing only... it's that Bioware does care, more than we'll ever know, and can and will do so much to make it right, even more than we deserve or will ever admit.

I may not buy Andromeda at launch... but I have no doubt in my mind it'll get my purchase one day and, by then, I'll love it just as much as some of my favorite Bioware titles.

So... don't lose hope. And, in the off-chance that any Bioware dev is reading this, please do know that we appreciate not just everything you've done, but everything you're still doing. It's a hard enough task to make a brand new game. It takes a miracle to create a whole new universe.

... And you guys have given us so many universes already.

Xando

I get what you are saying because i share a similiar sentiment. I don't know if its just me getting older (tho i'm only 24) but i feel like these days it's all about shitting on games or fighting console wars (Not only with Bioware but with most games (Ghost Recon says Hello) that aren't souls or some other darling game that i personally don't care about) which is why i mostly keep myself to OT discussions or to the community threads. I mean this is probably one of the best quarter of games i can remember and i feel like people are mostly shitting on each other instead of enjoying them.

tl;dr
Keep your head up and enjoy these awesome games we have at the moment

PC performance is fantastic though? Rolling 1440p 60fps on ultra.

I agree. Currently running on my stock 2600k and i'm suprised how well it runs (everything on ultra)

If anything, we need you to stay here more than ever.

[...]

So... don't lose hope. And, in the off-chance that any Bioware dev is reading this, please do know that we appreciate not just everything you've done, but everything you're still doing. It's a hard enough task to make a brand new game. It takes a miracle to create a whole new universe.

... And you guys have given us so many universes already.

Big-Boss-Salute-1.gif

I am a huge Bioware fan, but I am 50+ yrs old and I feel like I am watching children argue. (Some probably are children...others just man-babies)

I want to answer most posts with "Are you really that fucking stupid? Its a video game."

I'm a young 41, but I agree with this. Seeing big threads devoted to hating something so trivial just sucks the energy out of me.

I've actually been thinking lately that Andromeda might be the last game I buy.

JeffG

I'm a young 41, but I agree with this. Seeing big threads devoted to hating something so trivial just sucks the energy out of me.

Much easier and "funner" is to skip NeoGaf threads and continue to play games.

Please shinobi don't go. Seriously things are hitting a fever pitch enough that I'm mostly avoiding the Gaming forum altogether and have decided I probably will until after the game's release, but the Community thread so far has been a very positive and nice place to talk about the game and our excitement about it and losing your voice would really be a detriment to it.

Seriously I'm excited for this game. I played a match of MP last night and about an hour of the game and so far I'm really enjoying what I'm playing. I think that Bioware has something special here despite the warts. And there are warts, there's no denying it. But I think the warts are mostly surface level and what's underneath them is really strong (so far) so I definitely am interested to see more.

What? Last night the PC ME performance thread was shitting on it getting framerate drops with 1070's and 980Ti's.

I have a 1070 and performance for me was extremely solid for about the 2 hours I put into it.

Tsukumo

Played four hours of the multiplayer.

- Love the character customization. It's not extensive but the amount of colors and shaders to choose from is definitely improved over ME3.

- I sort of don't like having anon characters with fixed faces. I would have rather they gave us a chance to decide whether to play with or without helmet and to customize characters faces.

- Some new suits are really good, but I'm not digging the salarian ones. The old ones were perfect.

- This game really needs emotes.

- As expected cover doesn't work so well. It's very annoying to have to manually switch shoulder view, and cover melee is disastrous.

- Melee and revive on the same button. Really Bioware? Really?

- Loving the evasion tactics. Game changer.

- Mixed feeling about the graphics. I love the maps, the characters and the details, but the animations are so... fluffy. The characters move like Warframe characters: I didn't like it there, I don't like it here.
The reloading animations are pure awesome.

- Fantastic work on the new skills and upgrade trees. Infiltrators are as boring as ever but powers like cryo beam and turbocharge are really fun to use. Frag grenades' explosions look Lost Planet-level of gorgeous.

- Good work on the new enemies. They don't look like pure and simple rip-offs of the old factions. The AI may not be FEAR level of reactiveness but now all factions feel as well-coordinated as Cerberus in ME3 MP: most units push only when a major breaks through players' defence lines, and the ones which pressure the player don't have rubbish attacks that stunlock you until you die. This on bronze though. I'm biding my time for Silver and Gold.

- The camera moves too suddenly. Coupled with the weird animations it makes for confusing situations far too frequently.

- RNG seems unchanged from ME3, which I really like. You buy smaller packs to clear each rank of weapons and then gradually you work your way up to ultra-rare. Thank God!

Overall they left untouched what worked and they made many additions which are absolutely welcome. The only thing that got lost is the "weight" of the characters and their movement, but that's the price to pay for the new pace of the shooting and the new mobility options so I'm absolutely fine with it. I'll get used to it.
The multiplayer is definitely back in all its glory. I'm so happy they didn't fuck it up.

Vengal

That's a depressing thought that the conduct of people on this forum would kill a hobby you enjoy. I know reading those threads is rough and sorta the same circular train over and over.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, that's about where I'm at. I'm just avoiding those threads at this point. It's too bad rational discussion can't be had.

PC performance is fantastic though? Rolling 1440p 60fps on ultra.

Yeah, I'm running a 2550k at stock (below minimum requirements) and a 970, and I'm still rolling close to 1080p60 at mostly high settings. I'm perfectly happy with that; the issues seem overblown (just like most of the rest of the issues people are complaining about, most of all the writing... seriously, it's Mass Effect standard fare... it's fine).

Killzig

I'm running it on high (with ultra textures) at 1080 on an i7 4790k + 970. It's been absolutely solid for me. So far, I'm in the "it's Mass Effect, but I don't love it yet" camp. Human models and facial animations looks off. The CC was a real disappointment as well. The KB+M interface kind of feels like an afterthought so I swapped out to a controller after the tutorial mission. Maybe when it's retail and I have more time to tinker with the settings I'll find some bindings I like.

Count me among the people who think the introduction to the Kett and hand off of Pathfinder duties could have been handled a little more elegantly. The writing is hit or miss in spots, but overall not as big a distraction as the shit being tossed around the general discussion area would suggest. With RPGs I always feel like they're better than the individual systems so you kind of have to take them as a whole. As a whole ME:A feels like an ok Mass Effect game that'll very likely become good once I get out of these drabber early zones.

My complaints about the game are probably mostly the UI right now. Too many nested menus, too much wasted space. Not a huge fan of the scanning mechanic. Combat feels pretty good, biotics feel fun again with individual cooldowns, and the enemies aren't as big of health blobs as I feared they'd be based on some of the more incompetent IGN play throughs.

As a side note, does anyone else still feel like reading the tie-in novel after going through the conversations on the Nexus? My interest in that suddenly vanished now with game and codices in hand. Though
there seems to be some discrepancy w/r/t Jien Garson's death. In the book it's said she gets out of Cryo along with the rest of leadership to perform whatever arrival procedures, then she heads off alone to check something out. In the game Salarian Dinesh says the leadership pods themselves got destroyed in the collision with the scourge. Not sure if this is just a last minute revision or a hint at some fuckery on the Salarian's part. Doesn't seem like any of the others really like him.

My book should be arriving the 21st, while the game only drops here the 23rd, so I'll probably read the book while waiting. Then again, I'm purposefully skimming over those codex things and even a lot of in-depth dialogue.

My biggest complaint so far after my hour in single player was having to hit escape twice to exit the map screen. Considering how often I was going to the map to try and eke out every little crevice in that first mission, it was just a tad longer than I liked sticking in a menu.

Is there a way to go directly from map back to game without going through a menu in between? I feel like a big dummy.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Shit mate, this makes me sadder than all of those horrendous discussions in Gaming.

Don't let it get to you, there are many of us who are still wanting intelligent conversation about games we're passionate about: the fast moving pace of the drive by shitposting meme tsunamis isn't the place for it though obviously, refuges like this thread are....all is good bro.

OT2 wouldn't be the same without the Shinobi touch.

Definitely: I keep trying to knock some sense into those threads....but it's a waste of time, it achieves next to nothing. Better to go 'meh' and enjoy the crap out of a space adventure than sit around a threadfire, circlejerking over gifs that aren't even that funny (although, that Cora Gorilla one is pretty funny...I'll slap myself now). :)

Yeul

Another thing that I love that I forgot to mention in my post earlier is that it's great that the crew move around the Tempest! It's such a small thing but I love that they aren't glued to one particular location and it makes things feel much more alive.

That's a depressing thought that the conduct of people on this forum would kill a hobby you enjoy. I know reading those threads is rough and sorta the same circular train over and over.

Oh it's more of a corollary than a direct cause. I've really been feeling a lack of enthusiasm for all of this (for example I skipped Horizon, which I never would have done a year ago), plus I'm 41 and my thumbs and wrists are sore all the time, etc. But all the bs doesn't help (Gamergate too).

I'm definitely going to spend less money on gaming this year than the past. We'll see how it goes beyond that.

Edit: OT 2's OP should definitely be just a copy/paste of this one's.

JeffG

my thumbs and wrists are sore all the time, etc.
lol

It sucks getting old. lol

I usually play 2 hrs a night maybe 4 times a week.

Next week should be interesting. Wifey goes on a business trip. My sports are done for a while and the game I have been holding out for is out.

So it will be 6+ hrs a day of playing video games for 5 days with no having to watch the Bachelor.

Just Pizza, beer and video games (and the odd NHL game) for a week

See how my old man tendons feel at the end. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom