• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Downloading trial.... 3 hours remaining.

Well, at least I'll have time to play in the character creator for 1 hour before going to sleep lol.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
PC gamer preview. They have mixed feeling about it and are not impressed about the performance.

Seriously, many of the systems feel like they don’t just fail to improve on the old games, but are actually worse. The highfalutin new planet scanning James called out is absolutely tedious the first time you do it, so I can’t imagine how it’s going to feel on your dozenth, still portentously slow flight from one planet which might have a satellite orbiting to it to another which might have an aluminium deposit on it.

And don’t start me on the Nomad mining. It beggars belief that anyone thought plopping out probes in order to see ore occasionally tick up in a spreadsheet window was going to be fun. No one is going to leave Eos thinking “hoo boy, I mined the shit of that place and it was awesome.”

Hoo boy. >_>

Dany

Banned
Game feels like it didn't learn the lessons needed from the old trilogy and caries a lot of "last gen" jank that most current Rpg's were able to get rid of. It also looks riddled with a lot of middling side content that are there to increase play time without looking feasiblly fun.

So odd considering DAI came out a few years ago.

Grr, now I have trepidation :( I'll play it obviously but it doesn't seem like to make a great first impression

Vamphuntr

Hoo boy. >_>

Some of the quotes. Ouch

Always be saving, always be flirting. Still waiting on that good, good alien love-making by the way. I anticipate a lot of waiting too, because Andromeda feels like a huge, incomprehensible mess right now. And I think that’s why I still find it so fascinating. It’s an ambitious thing that has been far more disappointing than surprising so far. But I have faith that somewhere in the next 50 hours, Bioware will do a few cool space things.

Still, from a graphics and technology perspective, Mass Effect Andromeda (or at least the characters) looks and feels like it's already outdated to me. Thank goodness for the ATM (All Terrain Mode) option on the Nomad vehicle, switching between 4-wheel and 6-wheel modes. Right-clicking to shift between 'climbing hills' mode and 'going fast' mode is a huge game changer. It's almost as good as Cookie Clicker.

Big Nikus

The fact that the game puts itself between ME1 and 2 is triggering my OCD.

hHu0i1q.jpg

And you can't rearrange your library on Origin.
This is worse for me than the animation issues. I don't care about that. But this... hhnnngg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know, I don't really like the negativity from the Gaming side like most people here, but I can't help but agree that the animations just feel worse than the trilogy. There's little expressions on the faces in certain scenes... like, how could Bioware think it looked ok? They really couldn't do any better? =/
Here's hoping it get fixes in patches, but I bet this is a ridiculously huge task to put in simple patches.

Dineren

Banned
You know, I don't really like the negativity from the Gaming side like most people here, but I can't help but agree that the animations just feel worse than the trilogy. There's little expressions on the faces in certain scenes... like, how could Bioware think it looked ok? They really couldn't do any better? =/

Watching the Giant Bomb stream I kind of agree. I'm still really looking forward to playing, but I wasn't expecting it to be this rough.

Ridesh

Banned
So we could be seeing here a bigger disaster for BioWare than DA2.

I mean, considering that this game had like 5 years of development.

prag16

Banned
This has probably been answered. But I'm getting the "physical" version from amazon for the 20% off (plus 5% more with their credit card). I paid the $5 for the trial (downloading now).

I won't have to download 43GBs again on launch day.. Right? Right??

Because somebody mentioned the trial and full versions showing as separate "apps" in Origin..

So we could be seeing here a bigger disaster for BioWare than DA2.

I mean, considering that this game had like 5 years of development.
It's pretty premature to be jumping to these types of conclusions.

A couple mixed to negative impressions and people start losing their minds..

Tovarisc

This has probably been answered. But I'm getting the "physical" version from amazon for the 20% off (plus 5% more with their credit card). I paid the $5 for the trial (downloading now).

I won't have to download 43GBs again on launch day.. Right? Right??

Because somebody mentioned the trial and full versions showing as separate "apps" in Origin..

Only difference is .exe file. Trial has its own .exe so it properly triggers all time and content caps. Trial install will turn into full version of the game when it's released.

Too confusing? You are fine, there should be no need to redownload anything.

Doodis

If I've already preloaded the game on Xbox One, do I have to download something else for the free trial, or does it just use that file I've already downloaded?

Dany

Banned
I'm getting flashbacks to the arrival dlc watching some streams

Edit; okay that's maybe super hyperbolic, but at least three action looks great

Maledict

From the PC gamer impressions:

More than anything else, my early experience of Andromeda was defined by just how closely it mirrors the first game. This is a spiritual successor to the first Mass Effect in many ways, ignoring or undoing many of the ways the original series changed in its sequels. It's an RPG with shooter elements, not a shooter with RPG elements.

I know for some of you that's exactly what you were hoping for, but it fills me with dread. Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time for me, and the streamlining of me1s laughable 'rpg systems' delivered something truly special.

They really shouldn't have listened to the loud minority who thought the developments of the second game were a mistake. Sorry guys... :-(

prag16

Banned
Just got spoiled on gaming side, fuck this. Just to get some cheap laughs.
I've taken all gaming side threads out of my subscription list. It'll be this and the OT for me, that's it.

(Those assholes better not shit up out OT too like they did with every other damn topic.)

DOWN

Banned
From the PC gamer impressions:

I know for some of you that's exactly what you were hoping for, but it fills me with dread. Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time for me, and the streamlining of me1s laughable 'rpg systems' delivered something truly special.

They really shouldn't have listened to the loud minority who thought the developments of the second game were a mistake. Sorry guys... :-(
Uh maybe they thought so too?

X-Frame

I've taken all gaming side threads out of my subscription list. It'll be this and the OT for me, that's it.

(Those assholes better not shit up out OT too like they did with every other damn topic.)

I didn't even consider that this thread would stay open when the OT goes up -- but I don't see why it wouldn't if this thread can be for ME:A and the trilogy as well.

Whales

Banned
Same here, shit... : /

"Mass Effect: Andromeda 90's sitcom" thread.

yeah, me too. Oh well

The threads about the game on the gaming side are all turning to shit. It's sad. I will admit that the animations/faces do look rough, which is a surprise considering it's been in development for so long

anyways, the MP looks great tho... And i'm not gonna lie, the most fun i've had in the whole ME trilogy was the MP :p

prag16

Banned
yeah, me too. Oh well

The threads about the game on the gaming side are all turning to shit. It's sad. I will admit that the animations/faces do look rough, which is a surprise considering it's been in development for so long

anyways, the MP looks great tho... And i'm not gonna lie, the most fun i've had in the whole ME trilogy was the MP :p

Just about all of the things people are complaining about are either highly subjective, and/or not necessarily deal breakers for me. It's just gonna be a matter of playing it for myself. Download should be hitting the magic 42% threshold pretty soon (though may not get to fire it up for a couple hours).

Whales

Banned
Just about all of the things people are complaining about are either highly subjective, and/or not necessarily deal breakers for me. It's just gonna be a matter of playing it for myself. Download should be hitting the magic 42% threshold pretty soon (though may not get to fire it up for a couple hours).

I agree. Animation, faces... I really dont give a shit tbh

The gameplay looks like a step up from ME3, which already have fun gameplay so yeah
The only thing im worried about is the story/writing... a lot of people are saying it's not very good.

I wonder if ME1 will ever be topped in that department...

prag16

Banned
I agree. Animation, faces... I really dont give a shit tbh

The gameplay looks like a step up from ME3, which already have fun gameplay so yeah
The only thing im worried about is the story/writing... a lot of people are saying it's not very good.

I wonder if ME1 will ever be topped in that department...

As far as I know people are only allowed to talk about the first few hours until Monday morning (is the correct? shinobi?); meaning up through the first main Hub planet. There's a ton of story and writing (the vast majority) that nobody is talking about yet.

And even then I find it hard to believe it can possibly be as terrible as some are making it out to be. Also quickly getting tired of hot takes from people who have played the access preview for ~1 hour and want to pile on in mob mentality fashion. Another reason why I'm avoiding general gaming for a while.

I watched one of the first 45 minutes videos last night and honestly nothing (outside of a couple very minute nitpicks) about the characters or writing to that point threw up any red flags for me. YMMV I guess.

Played about two hours of the trial and really have liked it so far. The game looks really great (on PC), like really great, except for the faces and eyes which, yeah, they look pretty garbage. But I've never been terribly sensitive to that stuff. The rest of the game shines visually.

Gameplay, this early, feels much faster and more fluid then the old games. The soft cover initially was worrisome but after about 10 minutes it feels like the soft cover just allows for you do dash around and move about much faster and easier. I really look forward to digging deeper into the combat.

And I really look forward to learning about the characters and world and general plot. I cannot say anything about it thus far because it is so early. I just look forward to learning more.

Cannot really figure out where all the negativity is coming from (elsewhere online) after the first two hours. I dig it (and I really liked 1-3).

Played about two hours of the trial and really have liked it so far. The game looks really great (on PC), like really great, except for the faces and eyes which, yeah, they look pretty garbage. But I've never been terribly sensitive to that stuff. The rest of the game shines visually.

Gameplay, this early, feels much faster and more fluid then the old games. The soft cover initially was worrisome but after about 10 minutes it feels like the soft cover just allows for you do dash around and move about much faster and easier. I really look forward to digging deeper into the combat.

And I really look forward to learning about the characters and world and general plot. I cannot say anything about it thus far because it is so early. I just look forward to learning more.

Cannot really figure out where all the negativity is coming from (elsewhere online) after the first two hours. I dig it (and I really liked 1-3).
Glad to see you feel the same as I did. Game just feels fun to play. :)

moop1167

I posted this in the trial thread but no one responded:

Game isn't even working on pc for me. Game loads up, shows in a small window (doesnt say not responding) and the screen is blank and nothing happens.

Also and apparently it says my trial has started so time is ticking and I can't do anything.

I've never had a game do that before, I can't figure out what the problem would be. My computer thinks it's running because it is telling me I have less than 10 hours left in the trial.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I posted this in the trial thread but no one responded:

I've never had a game do that before, I can't figure out what the problem would be. My computer thinks it's running because it is telling me I have less than 10 hours left in the trial.

I know there's an issue for some people on PC with the Corsair Utility Engine. If you have that, try uninstalling it and relaunching the game.

Sai

For the trial, I'm going to try and limit my sessions to 1-2 hours a day. Still gotta finish this last run through Inquisition, anyways. :p

Messed around with the game's multiplayer just short of an hour. Decided beforehand that I was going to focus more on Biotics this time around in the single player, so I went a couple of matches with the Adept... The Biotic explosions really do sound vastly inferior to what they were in ME3. shinobi, if you're still passing along feedback to the guys at BioWare, beg them to bring back the thump to those combos, man.

'sides that, I'm loving the additional maneuverability, being able to quickly scale the upper parts of the map and dash to and from cover.

Glad to see you feel the same as I did. Game just feels fun to play. :)

Yeah the first thing I think of is that it feels like a game where if people play it a certain way, it won't be very fun. Kind of like... well Quantum Break (red flag for many I know but I liked QB's gameplay). If you just sat back behind cover and occasionally used your powers, then it's just a totally fine third person shooter like the old games, but if you move around a bunch it really feels a lot more interesting. Only based off of the first mission and I suspect those feelings will only continue to grow as more powers open. I already feel very mobile and capable based on mission #1.

moop1167

I know there's an issue for some people on PC with the Corsair Utility Engine. If you have that, try uninstalling it and relaunching the game.

I'll try that - thanks. I had it disabled but I'll just uninstall. Although I already jumped the gun and am re-downloading the trial lol.

Put in about an hour and a half or so. It's good, guys. Even on me PC (which, no joke, is under min spec) it runs well and parts still look good on low settings. Animations seem kinda buggy to me, still. There are scenes where nobody's eyebrows move. But when they work, they work well. Writing is pretty damn solid too. Some corny moments, but by and large it's all good.

Also, Insanity is really fucking hard this time around, lol. The comparative scarcity of cover is doing a number on me. Need that turret...

Anyway, I'm putting it down for the evening, but I'm super happy so far.

So yeah, got to play almost two hours, and heading off to bed now. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow. I'm skimming through the game - keeping the "reading every single piece of lore" mode for launch.

There was basically no chance I was going to dislike this game, so it's hardly a surprise that I'm loving it. I really like the characters from what I've heard of them, and the storytelling so far seems to be pretty tight. Character locomotion feels great, way better than the trilogy or even DA:I for that matter. Jumping around, climbing, slow walking - all of it feels pretty natural on the stick. It translates into some pretty fluid combat too. I've only gone through like 5 or so encounters so far, but I've already managed to do a pretty slick jetback-boost maneuver that felt cool to do. Can't wait to see how the skills will play into all of this.

I have basically no issues with the animations, be it facial, lip-syncing, and definitely not the body movement. They're not blowing me away, but they're serviceable. In terms of the dialogues I've seen thus far, everything seems to be way more dynamic. I see a clear evolution from "Hey, they're fidgeting! Look at them nod!" (which is something that The Witcher 3 and Horizon were still guilty of) to them actually doing shit. Actually moving around, you know? Horizon always felt like the people speaking were on a stage or something, not actually inhabiting the space they were in. I haven't felt that way so far, even when they just did the "zoom over the shoulder" short little conversations, and I'm consciously paying attention to what's happening in that regard.

The graphics in general look pretty great too. There seems to be quite a bit of variety so far. The alien architecture has me intrigued, and I got a real cool sci-fi vibe (obviously, but they could have easily failed here) from the ark.

So yeah, couldn't be happier really. Would I have liked them to have somehow managed to give me a 100 hour game with absolutely flawless animations and incredibly detailed eyes with SSS and all that? Sure, but I don't think that's very realistic.

In the end though, I'm very happy that I'm about to be able to sink at least 100 hours into a new Mass Effect single player experience (I'll do a new game +, so probably more than that), and maybe even try out the multiplayer.

But I can't help but have a sense of trepidation too. Bioware clearly needed to genuinely knock every single aspect out of the park for people not to incessantly shit on the game, and they didn't do that. It's a very accomplished game from a realistic standpoint, but it's not flawless. And as we've seen here, people will point out every flaw, no matter how meaningless in the grand scheme of things, as if they're actually getting enjoyment out of it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm somewhat fearful that this will actually be the last Mass Effect we'll see for a while. At the very least, with the way people seem to want to talk about it, I don't think they'll be going into production on a new one after they're done with whatever their DLC plans are for Andromeda. And that sucks. I did get to play 4 great games, which is a good thing in its own right - but there aren't many space opera properties like these out there, and I think there's a distinct possibility that we might have actually lost one here.

Just popping in to say I'm enjoying everything except for the way cover works and how you face directions with the shoulders. If I switch to a corner I shouldn't have to manually press the controller stick to change gun sides to get a better view, it was always automatic in the trilogy.

It's wreaking havoc on my ability to do well on Insanity.

Other than that I'm actually digging everything else, even the music.

SliChillax

Played 3 hours and I don't know what to think yet. I'm just baffled at how the game is so horrible when it comes to facial animations or animations in general and I tend not to care about these in general. There are so many bugs, people floating or teleporting, weird walking and the galaxy map while beautiful, is so god damn slow it's becoming annoying. And the music isn't as good as the trilogy so far, especially the galaxy map music.

Gameplay wise, is it just me or does this feel worse to play than ME3? Feels more janky, gunplay isn't as satisfying or fast paced as ME3. I hate the automatic cover, there was no need for it. I hope this is just like ME1, where I hated it first but then I fell in love with it and became my favorite game ever. Apart from these complaints, I'm curious to keep going and see what happens next. The visuals apart from animations look amazing.

On to PC performance, it's really bad. I knew I shouldn't have trusted people saying that the game runs flawlessly maxed with a GTX 980m, I have a 980ti and game feels very sluggish. Hopefully an Nvidia driver can fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom