• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
According to the Lead Designer, this is a mistake. Early Access starts for everyone on the 16th.

5p5ftZ0.png

Do you guys see Andromeda in your vault in Origin Access?

It's not in mine currently, and pre-load here in NZ is the same as Euro, 18th :/

I ask, as it's the 16th here in NZ in T-minus 40 minutes :D

Xando

Do you guys see Andromeda in your vault in Origin Access?

It's not in mine currently, and pre-load here in NZ is the same as Euro, 18th :/

I ask, as it's the 16th here in NZ in T-minus 40 minutes :D

It's not in the vault but under the play first trial option for me. No preload available tho (EU)

If i remember correct the FiFa trial went live around 1pm eastern time for everyone world wide

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Origin Access is weird. From memory, the build of the game in your library is your pre-ordered copy, not necessarily early access, and the pre-load / unlock dates are listed accordingly.

If you go Origin Access -> Play First Trials you can see Andromeda there with a date of 16/03, but no pre-load option is available.

Makes me think there isn't actually one on PC for the early access, and the game will simply be up for download and trial come the 16th.

Origin Access is weird. From memory, the build of the game in your library is your pre-ordered copy, not necessarily early access, and the pre-load / unlock dates are listed accordingly.

If you go Origin Access -> Play First Trials you can see Andromeda there with a date of 16/03, but no pre-load option is available.

Makes me think there isn't actually one on PC for the early access, and the game will simply be up for download and trial come the 16th.

Sounds like a recipe for a server outage but what do I know?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just asking to be sure: there is no procedural generation in the multiplayer firebases, layout is always the same?

Unless they've stated otherwise, the layouts should be locked, like ME3.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's not in the vault but under the play first trial option for me. No preload available tho (EU)

If i remember correct the FiFa trial went live around 1pm eastern time for everyone world wide

Oh cool yep found it - it's just saying learn more currently, I'm on 100mb/s down though so should be able to get it in an hour or two....exciting: now, the wait for 'Learn More' to change to 'Get Now' lol.

I got little to no sleep last night because of anticipation for this game. I just hope it unlocks at midnight and not in the middle of tomorrow.

I can't remember when the BF1 trial went live.

Altairre

So the trial should be going live around midnight then? Damn, wish we could preload, I'd totally stay up to play.

I still might do that if it downloads fast enough. Hopefully this doesn't fuck up the servers too much.

Anyway, as a huge Mass Effect fan I sure hope my experience is closer to shinobi's and not the RPS preview. Would break my heart if it's just Mass Effect: Inquisition. I had a decent enough time with that game but after Witcher 3 I don't think I could go back to an open world RPG that is as reliant on fetch quests and collectathons. Doesn't even have to be on the level of Witcher, something like in Horizon would be enough for me.

EatChildren

The sooner the trial goes up, the better. Australian internet is fucking godawful bullshit and if I have to download a whole 55GB to play the trial I need to start it asap if I want to get in any hours over the weekend.

X-Frame

I like the look of the Human Female Adept in the multiplayer trailer. Going to see if that face can be recreated for SisRyder. Hopefully the prerendered head shapes aren't too constricting.

Clipboard01_zpsqbsls63b.jpg

She looks a lot like my FemShep did. If I can re-recreate this I'd be very happy.

valkyre

About Andromeda not being an oren world game, can someone elaborate? Does that mean that you cannot visit previous locations after advancing from one planet to the other? certainly not right?

About Andromeda not being an oren world game, can someone elaborate? Does that mean that you cannot visit previous locations after advancing from one planet to the other? certainly not right?

I'm pretty sure it's been established that you can revisit mostly everything planet-wise except certain specific main story locations (sort of like how you can't revisit the dead reaper in Mass Effect 2 or Thessia in Mass Effect 3).

As to whether or not it's an open-world game, I think Shinobi said that's semi-open world. As in, some planets have huge explorable areas like Eos and others are more linear and small (including space stations).

If you've played Mass Effect 1 it's more akin to that but with planets having way more story content, places to explore, and reasons to revisit (supposedly).

Also they've said there will be a few major hubs on top of the colonies you create and the Tempest.

B00TE

Lost internet last night and it's still down this morning. If it's still down this afternoon when the trial supposedly goes up, I might explode. My brother and I both need to download it.

Killzig

I think the preload for Open Access is today at 4:30 Central, about 7 hours from now.

Someone posted in the trial thread that it's unlocking today at 5:30 EST PM.

Oh Shit.

Ah DeadlyParasite beat me to it. I'd seen the same time listed.

I commented in the Rock, Paper, Shotgun thread and wanted to paste those thoughts here for people wondering a little more about side content:

I like to be fully transparent when I describe things so people don't come back and say I misled them. I haven't done many sidequests personally. I stated that from several reviewers I've spoken to that are deep in the game, more than myself, sidequests come into their own later and some have multiple quest lines that can span multiple areas/planets.

I also described a few side activities on the very first prologue planet that *felt* more fleshed out to me as opposed to DAI's fetch quests because they actually had narration by the characters and you learn/investigate some interesting things that provide neat info vs "Collect 10 ram hides for the soldier" in DAI for example.

Some more examples: I've also been going through a Turian murder mystery on the Nexus that spanned multiple conversations with the Nexus director, then a witness, the suspect's wife, etc and that's now asking me to go to Eos to find and investigate the remains.

Also been following up leads on someone sabotaging electrical grids on the Nexus and now I have to find out what's going on and why.

These things feel more compelling to me than a lot of the junk in DAI lol.

There's still the "tasks" that are simpler in nature. One injured soldier asked if I could place a pendant next to where he lost his brother on a planet, but even that felt more fleshed out than DAI 'sidequests' because he talked a bit about how close he was to his brother. I'm enjoying them personally.

So I can only speak for myself. Hope that helps :)

Ralemont

not me
Honestly feel like just having shot-reverse shot convos return as opposed to DAIs zoomed out camera will make a big difference in questing.

Honestly feel like just having shot-reverse shot convos return as opposed to DAIs zoomed out camera will make a big difference in questing.

I suspect that if the dialogue animations end up overall worse than in DA:I, this will be a reason why. The spread of having to animate much more convo will just result in lower quality across the board but it's a trade off I think I prefer. I sort of hated the zoomed out convos in DA:I.

Now this I like.

Edit: On a second listen, I really like it.

JeffG

Sounds like Dragon Age / a fantasy universe with horns, choir, and strings. The synth fortunately kicks in much later, but it's still a bit understated.

:lol is that Ice Cube? Are you serious?

I like it.

Glad I got the Deluxe version so that I get the sound track. (For DA:I I went to iTunes to buy the songs I wanted because I just got the standard version)

Does anyone know, How do they "deliver" the soundtrack for the XBox (and I assume PS4)

A Download link?

It would appear that sentinel tech armour disappears after you stop taking damage from what I've seen, unless that's something you can toggle.

That makes me sad.

ObsidianG

It would appear that sentinel tech armour disappears after you stop taking damage from what I've seen, unless that's something you can toggle.

That makes me sad.

I was bummed out to find this out too! Based on the preview info, it seems that annihilation is the new "signature" power for sentinels, with tech armor being a profile bonus. However that should be a pretty neat combination if one was to throw a shotgun in the mix...

valkyre

Excuse my ignorance (i have chosen not to read a lot of stuff about Andromeda) but I have to ask this one.

Is the Nexus (new Citadel) going to be of significant size this time around or is it going to be 5 small area/corridors like past games?

I was bummed out to find this out too! Based on the preview info, it seems that annihilation is the new "signature" power for sentinels, with tech armor being a profile bonus. However that should be a pretty neat combination if one was to throw a shotgun in the mix...

I've decided my first character is going to be a short range focused shotgun Sentinel with Annihilation Field, Tactical Cloak, and Shockwave (which I'm hoping will trigger multiple combo detonations if I cast it on a group primed with Annihilation)

Retrofluxed

It's really starting to sink in that I will be playing a new Mass Effect for the first time in 5 years tomorrow (took a day off from work). Wow.

ObsidianG

I've decided my first character is going to be a short range focused shotgun Sentinel with Annihilation Field, Tactical Cloak, and Shockwave (which I'm hoping will trigger multiple combo detonations if I cast it on a group primed with Annihilation)

That's a pretty neat build with lots of biotic explosions! The description for annihilation doesn't mention shielded or armored enemy resisting it (unlike other primers like singularity, cryoblast and incinerate), so you may be unto something good here!

My first build will be a sentinel with annihilation, overload and cryoblast: I plan on being a priming machine and rely on my squadmates to detonate the combos (Looking at you guys, Cora and Liam :D).

On the topic of combos, Bioware would have made my choices much easier if overload and energy drain could still prime targets from the get-go, because I find it counterintuitive to use a cryo or fire power on an enemy with shields to prime them (I believe shockwave, energy drain and overload can only become primers at rank 6)

It's really starting to sink in that I will be playing a new Mass Effect for the first time in 5 years tomorrow (took a day off from work). Wow.

This really feels weird, doesn't it?

I finally got to convince my best friend to play the trilogy a few weeks back, he completely devoured through 1 & 2, and is trying to finish the third one asap so he can jump into Andromeda as soon as it releases !
It's a warm and funny feeling to see him discovers everything for the first time, and only have to wait like 4 days for the next Mass Effect to come out

On the topic of combos, Bioware would have made my choices much easier if overload and energy drain could still prime targets from the get-go, because I find it counterintuitive to use a cryo or fire power on an enemy with shields to prime them (I believe shockwave, energy drain and overload can only become primers at rank 6)

I believe that's because in Andromeda, Bioware has been trying to minimize (or even outright eliminate) abilities from doing double duty as both primers and detonators. Which makes sense since balancing around those abilities would be tricky if they did both. Why take 2 abilities that prime and detonate when you can take 1 that does both? If a high level evolution lets an ability become both then that makes sense since that would be a super powerful quality to add to it.

ObsidianG

I believe that's because in Andromeda, Bioware has been trying to minimize (or even outright eliminate) abilities from doing double duty as both primers and detonators. Which makes sense since balancing around those abilities would be tricky if they did both. Why take 2 abilities that prime and detonate when you can take 1 that does both? If a high level evolution lets an ability become both then that makes sense since that would be a super powerful quality to add to it.

I agree, having abilities with double duties would have limited the incentive to experiment with new powers. It's just that we normally have to go through our enemies shields, then armor and health so I expected the primers and detonators to follow the same order.

However your point about balance makes sense, especially given that several combos can now be primed through an enemy's shield, which was seldom the case in the original trilogy. Either way I am really looking forward to the builds that the community will come up with this newfound freedom in power selection!

chaislip3

Any reference to back this up? I really hope this is true. I don't have any time to play tomorrow night but tonight would be perfect.

I remember a lot of Access/Origin trials going live the night before it was slated to around that time, so I'd say it's likely that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom