• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

You can definitely make some great ones. Depends on how much you put into it.

OE948Je.gif

She is supposed to be smirking here.

Man the character creation screws up the animations huh?

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Watching a bunch of videos, I'm going to wait. I'll get EA access and play some MP, but I think the game needs work. You know there'll be a GotY edition. It's EA. Gameplay looks solid though, I'll probably really enjoy playing it. It's just the cutscene animations that take me out of it.
Has EA ever done a GotY version? I know they sure as fuck haven't done it for the Mass Effect games, and I doubt they'll do it for MEA.

But some of the stuff he mentions is legitimately worrisome... Like, the example of Gil's dialogue is baaaad. "I tend to live the way I work: kinda “feel it, do it.” Not a lot of close ties, no real sense of purpose."

It's an awkward line on paper, that's for sure. Maybe sounds better in-game, but yeeeaah, I don't know.

SliChillax

So I bought Origin Access and pre ordered the game a few days ago but the game says it will pre load on the 17th. Some people on Reddit have screenshots of the game unlocking on the 15th, I'm confused.

Vamphuntr

Haha when female Ryder try to hit on the gay guy. Her weird facial animation doesn't help,

This from John's Walker preview worry me:

Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative.

Haha when female Ryder try to hit on the gay guy. Her weird facial animation doesn't help,

The conversation's awkward in general. The dialogue has been pretty hit or miss for me, though - like I thought they were trying a bit too hard with the comedy in Liam's loyalty mission too.

This from John's Walker preview worry me:

People complained about it when they showed PeeBee's loyalty mission and Bioware said there wouldn't be much handholding...so I'm hoping it might just be due to it being at the start of the game? It's definitely a concern, though.

The segment from John Walker about quests is puzzling as Bioware made a specific marketing point as to say they took inspirations from The Witcher 3's sidequests after looking at what didn't work in DA:I

StereoVsn

The segment from John Walker about quests is puzzling as Bioware made a specific marketing point as to say they took inspirations from The Witcher 3's sidequests after looking at what didn't work in DA:I
Well, there is marketing and there is reality I guess especially if this isn't their A-team. Most of the dialogue in the streams/videos did look pretty suspect.

Retrofluxed

There are sidequests and there are lesser involved "tasks". Perhaps that is what he was complaining about.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Facial animation is really mediocre sometimes. Like they got them halfway and said fuck it for finishing them properly.

I don't know why it wasn't that distracting in the original trilogy for me(I mean, they weren't great there either). Maybe because of the overall graphical upgrade, I'm expecting good animations too? I dunno.

Hopefully i'll get used to it, or some patches will improve them. The rest look fantastic at least.

By the way, people, just an FYI: the OT isn't going up until the 20th. I still have some work on it and I'm waiting for some final input from my collaborators. Someone can make a discussion thread for the EA access trial if they want, not sure if anyone claimed that yet.

Retrofluxed

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/07/inside-review-pc/

He described INSIDE as "an empty, procedural, albeit often beautiful platform game with not a single original idea in its belt" and called the ending "utterly dreadful."

Yeah I don't gel with this dude's views at all lol

It is John Walker. Sometimes he comes off as contrarian just to be contrarian. But, his preview fits Neogaf's narrative so expect to see it quoted a bunch with either "uh oh" or dead.jpg

A lot of this reviewer's story 'criticisms' are needless bullshit nitpicking. Only real concerning things are his notes on the quests. Hopefully he's just been doing the Horizon style "tasks" mostly. Is contrarian to all other reviews so I'm looking at this with a very skeptical eye. Something is wrong if he diverges so far from everyone else's impressions.

Lt-47

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/07/inside-review-pc/

He described INSIDE as "an empty, procedural, albeit often beautiful platform game with not a single original idea in its belt" and called the ending "utterly dreadful."

Yeah I don't gel with this dude's views at all lol

Ok I was getting worried but that put thing into perspective. Inside was one of the best game I played last year... I don't think I'll care about that guy opinion anymore

diaspora

By the way, people, just an FYI: the OT isn't going up until the 20th. I still have some work on it and I'm waiting for some final input from my collaborators. Someone can make a discussion thread for the EA access trial if they want, not sure if anyone claimed that yet.

If you don't have them already, PM me for the ME-GAF Discord logo and link if you're inclined to include it in the OP.

"Within minutes of starting there’s a cutscene in which a soldier type is shooting an already entirely dead corpse, and someone else has to say, “Hey, hey, take it easy,” and he fires off a few more shots and declares himself satisfied. I can’t even imagine how anyone can feel okay with writing that into a script without experiencing enough shame to just get up, walk away, and keep walking until they fall off of or into something."

What the fuck lol...that was Liam and the scene was perfectly fine...Jesus.

Bunch of people are starting to stream the game on twitch, which means I now have to sacrifice a big source of daily entertainment to avoid spoilers. This last week is going to be miserable outside the 10 trial hours lol.

Can we hook up with Suvi the way we could flirt/hook up with Kelly? Asking for a friend...
my friend would like to know too.

Also, is anyone having trouble getting the pre-load started? Can't seem to find an option for it. When I open the menu on my purchased list, it doesn't give me an option to download the game when I select it, only the option to download the pre-order bonus DLC.

Also, is anyone having trouble getting the pre-load started? Can't seem to find an option for it. When I open the menu on my purchased list, it doesn't give me an option to download the game when I select it, only the option to download the pre-order bonus DLC.

Mine just started automatically. I was surprised because preloads don't usually start until the Sunday before release.

my friend would like to know too.

The same thing happened to me on PS4. I decided to restart the console, then it started downloading automatically.

Mine just started automatically. I was surprised because preloads don't usually start until the Sunday before release.

The same thing happened to me on PS4. I decided to restart the console, then it started downloading automatically.

Well the PS4 I'm logged in on isn't my primary, that's why it's not downloading automatically. Since I'm not getting the option to download it manually, I'll just try making it the primary until it starts downloading.

Thanks!

prag16

Banned
Maaan that Gamespot impression thread is absolutely brutal. People are absolutely trashing the game, possibly worse than I've seen yet. Complete circle jerk of hate and/or concern trolling.

The RPS piece, yikes. "Refreshing" is how EatChildren described it. Barf. But reading through it, the only thing that may be a concern is the DA:I style questing. But he seems to be nearly on an island with that one among previewers, and with most of the rest of his criticisms too for that matter.

Not saying he's necessarily doing this, but if I wanted to be a cynical concern troll, I could spin Horizon to sound just about this bad too.

As for the "unrevealed character" tweet, sounds like that's just Jaal. He doesn't show up until after the unembargoed portion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I find alternate viewpoints in general refreshing as I think it's important to erode echochamber discussion regardless of positivity or negativity. Like Stirling's review of Zelda is one I appreciate due to its articulation and perspective, knowing it's coming from an honest place, even if I disagree with a number of his criticism.

Similarly my view on most of Naughty Dog's games; I tend to be in a general minority, but that wouldn't stop me from penning a review with those thoughts.

I only have an issue with positive and negative critique when it's poorly articulated and lacking substance in reasoning. In those cases the written work is just boring and uninteresting to me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Hmm.

Fun stuff, but I was kind of hoping from the pre-release 'Scott and Sara have different personalities' talk leading to actual somewhat different dialogue.

Both in the opening missions and here, it's been, if not the exact same, so minute that I haven't noticed anything different.

Understandable, sure, but aside from gender-exclusive romances, it's also another knock against replayability. Sure, there's different approaches re: Logic, passionate, etc...but I don't know if that's gonna be enough, save for maybe one 'optimal' playthrough down the line if I don't use the equivalent of the DA tapestry site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom