• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Burbeting

Banned
Trail of Blood chp.3

The art and framing of this series has been really good so far. Creates an very suspicious atmosphere to a setting that is, on the surface level, very peaceful. Intrigued to see where it goes.

Zweizer

Banned
Bloom Into You ch21

People are rarely what they seem.

A Kiss and a White Lily ch30.5

Ano_Ko_ni_Kiss_to_Shirayuri_wo_-_Vol.7_Ch.30.5.jpg

She's not far from becoming a full-blown yandere. Better watch out.

Dansan Joshi ch32-34

Idol games are getting out of hands.

They keep bullying Mae-chan, the meanies.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch13

They're enthusiastic about it at least.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
europe gets all the good stuff

More like Dark Horse doesn't like making money then again I don't know if they actually have the digital rights to the manga. Still I can't believe there isn't a digital version available as I know like half a dozen people who would get into Berserk if they actually had that.

Shinriji

just read chapter 1 of The Promised Neverland

FUCK

I just began to read it last week and was hooked beyond belief. Amazing work.

I feel that people are still sleeping on it, but maybe is because is so different from people expect from a JUMP manga.

Puruzi

Banned
The Promised Neverland 1-32

1454284708676a7ukb.png

I feel that people are still sleeping on it, but maybe is because is so different from people expect from a JUMP manga.

I went into it not really knowing anything about it and god damn. Got hooked too.

This series monthly or weekly?

dani_dc

My biggest fear with it is that it will just become another Jump manga with time.

Hoshino me Tsubutte is actually starting to turn into a really good series. They've pretty much already overcome the premise of the series as it was never something that could've realistically lasted or remained entertaining and instead maneuvered it into being somewhat like SNAFU where it begins to deal with the intricacies, hypocrisies and wants of teenage social relationships. It's strongest chapters so far were Hoshino defending glassesface from the gyaru delinquents and then the MC yelling at the crowd for ganging up and going with the flow and being the same as them. This current arc with Soejima getting inspired by both Hoshino and the MC for standing up against unfair shit is working pretty well as the more we see of Hoshino the more it's revealing her to just be this really endearing and honest person and her idiosyncrasies and weird personality are actually making her a very fun character to root for and follow. The MC is no Hachiman but he works fine in the context of the manga and learning to break out of his shell and stop hating himself for being exactly like the crowds and other people.

I hope Soejima joins the harem (so to speak because honestly, there isn't one and it's super obvious him and Hoshino 1. have a connection and 2. are the set up couple) because I really love her design and personality. I've read wonderful/horrible spoilers that the gyaru also shows up again but that they un-gyaru her and that makes me very unhappy.

Weekly Shonen Jump #18

Boruto (Cover)
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
Boruto (CP)
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia (CP)
Robot x Laserbeam
4. Black Clover
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. Haikyu!!
8. We Never Learn (2nd Ranking)
Hungry Marie
9. Spring Weapon No. 1
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Dr. Stone
10. Gintama
11. Samon the Summoner
12. U19 (1st Ranking)
13. Hinomaru Zumou
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #19
Cover, Lead CP: Black Clover
CP: We Never Learn
One Shot: Kuromori Crime (by Hidetoshi Miyada and Yusuke Hitoshi)

U19's first ranking is a bad sign, while WNL's ranking isn't great the fact that it's getting CP next week says enough about how Jump feels about how the manga is doing. (I'm only going to mention in () brackets for the first 3 weeks of the manga's ranking)

Zumou will die before it gets a chance for an anime.

Ace of Diamond Act II 72
C8F8C5IXUAAedse.jpg:small

One of the few chapters where I realized I was litrally not breathing from the anticipation of what would happen. Eijun kun is so good now and the batter, I hope they success, dont give in to strain etc :(

Boogiepop

So I'm actually starting to read through Ippo for the first time. Watched the original anime a while back, which is what got me interested enough to dive in hard when I saw a good price on the massive pile of books that is this series.

Anyway, 14 volumes in now, and it's still definitely in the content I'm already familiar with, but I'm still enjoying it a lot. Though I will say this is one of the rare times where I am feeling a bit of a loss of reading it instead of having the animation (not to say that the action is bad at all in the manga, just that it was really great IMO in the anime). But yeah, basic logic on the fact that it's as long as it is, plus what little I've absorbed of opinions on the series, I'm sure the pacing will go to hell eventually. Still, I'm sure it'll be an interesting ride.

Edit: Small aside, but probably worth crossposting here: selling a big lot of most of the US Shonen Jump run, plus the full US Wandering Son run in the BST thread, in case anyone is interested in such things (mainly want the Shonen Jump to move, as doing things like buying all of Hajime no Ippo has hurt my storage space pretty bad).

Ippo is really really good...until it hits a lull that starts around...Miyata/Randyboy. Takamura fights carry it but all the Ippo fights from there until Gonzales are just SLOGS to get through and so unenjoyable. The Gonzales fight on the other hand is one of the top fights of the series but holy shit the fights before that were tough to keep reading

Ascheroth

Weekly Shonen Jump #18

Boruto (Cover)
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
Boruto (CP)
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia (CP)
Robot x Laserbeam
4. Black Clover
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. Haikyu!!
8. We Never Learn (2nd Ranking)
Hungry Marie
9. Spring Weapon No. 1
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Dr. Stone
10. Gintama
11. Samon the Summoner
12. U19 (1st Ranking)
13. Hinomaru Zumou
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #19
Cover, Lead CP: Black Clover
CP: We Never Learn
One Shot: Kuromori Crime (by Hidetoshi Miyada and Yusuke Hitoshi)

U19's first ranking is a bad sign, while WNL's ranking isn't great the fact that it's getting CP next week says enough about how Jump feels about how the manga is doing. (I'm only going to mention in () brackets for the first 3 weeks of the manga's ranking)

That's a pretty great top 5. Seeing Neverland and Kimetsu no Yaiba do this well pleases me greatly.

Cigarette Anthology MENTHOL: After reading both Acca-13 and Skyscraper Blues I found this little morsel. It's a great collection of short One-shot works that all have a common theme, with the following artists contributing work to it:
Asano Inio, Uchimizu Toru, Yasuo Otagaki, Ono Natsume, Mizunagi Ryu, & Yokoyari Mengo.
I'd highly recommend the collection, just for the varying art styles and stories in it. Yes, even the one where it seems to imply the girl has a thing for her uncle, or at least his smell when he's smoking.

mdubs

Banned
Goodnight Punpun Vol. 5 (Viz)

I can't say enough about how good it is reading this again in print form. Chapter 100 when
he reunites with Aiko
still has that amazing oomph to it of his mind just exploding.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi 1-14

Our MC goes to a shitty school completely overrun by delinquents, gyaru and sukeban. Desperate for change, he gets a package from his deceased grandfather which places a curse on him - one that makes all the bad girls fall in love with him.

Instead of being a horndog and it turning into a gropefest, the MC decides he can try and turn the school around and make a general positive change.

So that went a different route then I expected.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rokudou no Onna-tachi 1-14

Our MC goes to a shitty school completely overrun by delinquents, gyaru and sukeban. Desperate for change, he gets a package from his deceased grandfather which places a curse on him - one that makes all the bad girls fall in love with him.

Instead of being a horndog and it turning into a gropefest, the MC decides he can try and turn the school around and make a general positive change.

So that went a different route then I expected.
That's only because the toughest delinquent is a girl that wants him

Rokudou is one of those mangas that you started reading because you were like "lol harem magic but gyarus, this should be good" in a sarcastic way and then 14 chapters in now and it's actually like...legitimately good which is incredibly surprising.

SPEAKING OF

Rokudou Gyaru Harem Times 14

This was a really good way to end this arc. Rokudou is showing that even though he can't fight and is kinda cowardly, he has things that are important to him and doesn't want to abuse his abilities and is willing to stick to shit even if it gets him beat the fuck up in order to do what he thinks is right. His friends continue to shock me by not taking the easy route and being background filler/unimportant/total shitbags because girls are all over him and instead despite being the same as him, weak and cowardly, they ran to his aid and show up to help him and actually are REALLY good friends. Then you have Kurokada seeing how his using of Osanda got her into this situation and yet she still takes a hit for Rokudou which makes him sacrifice himself almost as penance for being such a shit. AND THEN you have Osanada give up on Rokudou but take to heart her feelings of first love and realize they aren't things you look back on and hold onto because they're painful but because they're important memories that push you forward.

It goes a little cheese at the end while taking the piss out of itself and it also seems to imply that Rokudou actually reformed Osanada so her liking him and deciding to stay in school means she's a good girl now and no longer under the influence of his magic.

I am continuously surprised by this manga.

Hey Manga folks. I turn to you in my infinite wisdom.

What should I read next?

I'm fairly open when it comes to genre (shonen fighting, fantasy, romcoms, scifi). I'm not a huge fan of fanservice, but I can hack it if the series is really good, or it feels relatively relevant to the plot. (Prison School or Hatsukoi Zombie feel relevant to the overall story being told, versus something like Freezing.)

The last few series I read include:

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

As I said, all over the place. Unfortunately, with work I no longer have time to hunt new shit down. Looking for some good series that have some chapters in them. (20+?) So hit me with them recommendations, folks.

What should I read next?

I'm fairly open when it comes to genre (shonen fighting, fantasy, romcoms, scifi). I'm not a huge fan of fanservice, but I can hack it if the series is really good, or it feels relatively relevant to the plot. (Prison School or Hatsukoi Zombie feel relevant to the overall story being told, versus something like Freezing.)

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

As I said, all over the place. Unfortunately, with work I no longer have time to hunt new shit down. Looking for some good series that have some chapters in them. (20+?) So hit me with them recommendations, folks.

Read Me and the Devil Blues by the Prison School mangaka.

What should I read next?

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

Bonnouji
Horimiya
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man

Note: Despite the unfortunate naming of the last 2 they are not exactly what you expect given those names.

Tripon

What should I read next?

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

Dungeon Meshi.

As for more Reccs

Music of Marie
Aku no Hana (even if its a bit "off")
Tetsuwan Girl (longer read)
Keijo!!! (ongoing)
Jitsu wa Watashi (ongoing)

Others i have have seen people in here really liking

Koe no Katachi
Oyasumi Punpun

any new generic romcoms out

feel like reading one

IIRC that new series from the Nisekoi author might be your speed.

i think its called We Never Learn, but it just started.

What should I read next?

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

BLack Clover
Gundam Ortigin

Puruzi

Banned
What have you read?
a bunch of stuff really, they just sorta blend together at this point

Kin no Kanojo, Gin no Kanojo is relatively recent.
will check this out

IIRC that new series from the Nisekoi author might be your speed.

i think its called We Never Learn, but it just started.

New stuff from the Nisekoi author?

that's the stuff i'm looking for

Edit: rip I guess not. still gonna give it a look tho

a bunch of stuff really, they just sorta blend together at this point

will check this out

New stuff from the Nisekoi author?

that's the stuff i'm looking for

Edit: rip I guess not. still gonna give it a look tho

Its actually not him, apologies for that

That's not from the Nisekoi author, it's just filling the Nisekoi spot.

Yea was wrong on that one,

The color art seemed similar *shrug*

Bonnouji
Horimiya
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man

Note: Despite the unfortunate naming of the last 2 they are not exactly what you expect given those names.

Done Horimiya, but I'm down for the others.

Hmm.

Angel Densetsu? You've probably read it, but highly recommended if you haven't. Or maybe try Urasawa's Pluto.

Done Pluto, great stuff. Thanks for the rec of Angel Densetsu.

Read Me and the Devil Blues by the Prison School mangaka.

Gracias!

BLack Clover
Gundam Ortigin

Done Gundam Origin. I'll check out Black Clover.

Thanks for all the recommendations folks.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

What should I read next?

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

I just posted about Innocent / Innocent Rouge in More_Badass' thread. Oshimi's Happiness has been great and there aren't that many chapters out. The Promised Neverland is pretty fresh. Oh, and Golden Kamuy, on the off-chance you haven't tried it yet.

What should I read next?

Mousou Telepathy
All-Rounder Meguru
Hatsukoi Zombie
Inyashiki
My Hero Academia
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko
Prison School
Horimiya
Ajin

I'M GONNA RECOMMEND RANDOM STUFF CAUSE I'M BAD AT RECOMMENDATIONS OKAY LET'S GO

Yuureitou - A psychological thriller/horror/mystery manga that deals with...I'm gonna spoiler this because it's a pretty big reveal but is also a pretty big reason to read it in the first place so buyer beware...
trans
issues and amazingly it handles it exceedingly well. The general plot is that in the 1950s a woman was murdered after being tied to the face of a clock tower by her adopted daughter and now a couple years later the MC Taichi is about to be murdered in the same way by a mysterious assailant but is saved by a young man named Tetsuo. Tetsuo is searching for a treasure in the tower and the two of them go on to try and solve the mystery of the tower and what is really going on. Very good art and very good writing.

NEXT ONE

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - This is the rom com manga that all other rom coms need to take lessons from. There is almost no better rom-com/gag manga than this one. Basically the MC Kuromine Asahi discovers the secret of his classmate and crush Shirigami Youko; turns out she's a vampire! But Kuromine is a man who is totally balls at lying and Youko is an airhead who constantly almost reveals herself. How will this whacky set-up work out?!?!!

Ignore that simple premise and just realize that this is one of the funniest manga that has ever existed. And in much the same way as Gintama, it is excessively good at getting you to emotionally invest in the characters by laughing along with them and their silly hijinks and then when shit gets real it gets realer than fucking real. This manga has made me cry. I'm man enough to admit that. Like...all the time. I cry easy.

Definitely worth a read and it's also ending in like a week or two so good time to come in!

ON TO THE NEXT

6000 - A horror manga about a deep sea facility 6000 meters below the surface of the ocean. Closed years ago after an accident that killed all it's workers, it has recently been acquired by a Japanese company that is being bought out by a Chinese company who reopens it. Kadokura Kengo is sent there along with the workers and shortly thereafter his colleague is injured. More and more off stuff begins to happen and dread begins to build as a lot of things don't seem to be just coincidence.

A short manga, self-contained and tells it's story. Very VERY good at creating an uncomfortable and spoopy atmosphere and utilizes it well. Might fall off a bit when you learn some stuff but I didn't mind it at all.

WHOOP WHOOP WHAT ELSE

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - By the guy who did AssClass, his previous work. A demon from Hell who eats mysteries has gotten bored and tired of being unfulfilled in Hell and comes to Earth to feast on the great mysteries we have here. He is attracted to a girl, Katsuragi Yako, whose father was recently killed and solves the mystery of his death along with Yako. He decides to use Yako to find mysteries on Earth so sets her up as his face in the world and makes her famous as a teen detective so that he can find all the delicious mysteries he wants.

Quite a funny manga but since it's basically Case Closed but with a demon all the cases that they solve are basically murders so it deals with adult themes. There is an underlying plot line that does continue throughout the manga and end in a pretty satisfying way; the mangaka has a really good habit of not letting a manga outstay it's welcome. He ended both Neuro and AssClass when they felt like they should end instead of having them go on forever. Don't read if you want to figure out the mystery yourself as Neuro uses demon tools and shit to figure stuff out; it's not about the mystery being solvable by you it's about watching him figure it out and be amused and entertained.

LET'S DO ONE MORE GOD I WISH THERE WAS AN EASIER WAY FOR ME TO GUSH AT PEOPLE ABOUT MANGA INSTEAD OF TYPING FOR LIKE 30 MINUTES

Sket Dance - A high school slice of life by the assistant of the mangaka for Gintama so it has a very similar feel to it. The adventures of the Sket Dan which is basically a volunteer club that goes out to help people who come to them with their issues. Lead by Bossun, a lovable goofball who has tremendous powers of concentration and deductive reasoning, Himeko the ex-queen of delinquents and Switch a brilliant otaku who speaks only through a voice program on his laptop. Much like Gintama it is primarily a gag manga but knows how to do emotional stories very well.

This mangaka is a rarity; he is someone who handles a lot of topics that manga aimed at teenagers never touch and he handles them with incredible respect and deft writing. I won't say what they are as most of them are reveals to very important plotlines, but suffice to say that the final arc of the manga was amazing and made me incredibly emotional. Hell, the big arc that happens in the middle with a huge reveal is...pretty incredible too.

It is finished and thus easier to read as it has a succinct stopping point. It follows them through their high school years so it obviously ends when they graduate. Very good series.

I tried to recommend some stuff that I don't normally see talked about or talk about a lot, things that other people might not suggest to you.

God it takes me so much time to research and do recommendations it's no wonder I don't do them. It'd be easier for me to just record myself talking about shit because it's so much easier for me to ramble about shit I love for 30 minutes and contain so much more information than if I wrote for 30 minutes. BLAH

Top Bottom