• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
is this sarcasm??

also can you recommend some ito? I read the spiral one, and one about an alternate universe i think called the black paradox? I dont know what his best work is

If you're asking if Junji Ito was working with Del Toro and Kojima on Silent Hills, he was.

Uzumaki is his most well known work but there is also Hellstar Remina as another longer works and he has a ton of short story collections... and some pokemon drawings. Oh and a manga about cats.

Oh that's where that picture is from. Read all of Ito's older works years ago and completely lost track of which one had multi head earthworm girl.

is this sarcasm??

also can you recommend some ito? I read the spiral one, and one about an alternate universe i think called the black paradox? I dont know what his best work is

Yes its sarcasm.

Ito writes a bunch of short stories, you should seek them out if you can. His most famous is The Enigma of Amigari Fault. I'm really enjoying Tomie though, which is like an omnibus of stories about the central character.

convo

Akagi 295

Only 2 chapters left!
Akagi really wanted to die in any gamble he got into, but from FMKT's other series we already know he grew old. There is some chapters left but Akagi will leave disappointed because he won't be dead in the end.

Lain

is this sarcasm??

Go grab Dissolving Classroom which Vertical published recently. It's quite something.

This was my thought as well. The rest of the series is so damn good it felt like this volume buckled a little bit under that weight. I wrote about it here https://www.taykobon.com/content/2017/3/18/forget-me-not-vol-7-manga-review
AFAIK the manga I'd based on a Taiwan Novel which have a different and more expanded ending. They also change some of the plot line, the reason on why she left him is partly due to the fact that the MC have to leave for mandatory National Service (Army) for 2 plus years. I am trying to hunt down the novel after I finished the manga too.

Dynedom

Promised Neverland - 033

Aw shit!

and-here-we-go-joker-dark-knight-o.gif

Tomo 535 - 542

Misaki got his game face on. Too bad he didn't get to do anything.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai 26

I don't know if thats quite how wave particle duality works, but close enough I guess.
I wonder if Machi will want to walk the path of science.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 24
MASOCHISTIC PANDA ROUTE IS GO. She's a superior alternative to Lanka/Hitomi, though that's not much of an achievement. I've never believed that food tastes better when you cook it yourself, though that may be because my cooking is classed as a level 3 humanitarian crisis.

Promised Neverland Ch33: Ears to that! Mamma getting seriously outplayed here.

Tokyo Ghoul re: Ch119: In all honesty I'm just all hyped for the next chapter, mainly as it has more Touka screen time.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch542

You'd think they'd realized that.

Kase-san ch24

What a tease.

Akagi ch295

I dunno where Washizu recruited these guys, but damn if they're not loyal.

Finally over!

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch24

So panda likes to be bullied, good to know.

Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (Part 2.736?) (NSFW)
Goddamn, now I remember how this plays out. Calling it an 'awkward' reunion was off the mark, a
murderous
reunion would be far more accurate. The consequences might actually manage to put a dent in the OTP, though I'm sure this wasn't the way Douglas planned on having an impact.

Yotsuba 95

Something about the complete indifference the people in Tokyo have towards Yotsuba is off putting.

Also this chapter would be a bitch to animate. Nailing the timing would be practically impossible.

Prison School 249
Win the war Hana.

Hajime no Ippo 1174

Has ippo really never had a match with lefty in nearly 1200 chapters?
Guess the next 1200 can be all about lefties.

*sigh* I hope Ippo just goes out and literally destroys him, I can't take another drawn out match over low stakes like this.

bobohoro

*sigh* I hope Ippo just goes out and literally destroys him, I can't take another drawn out match over low stakes like this.

Ippo will get pummeled for 10+ chapters and then win with the new inverted Dempsey Roll!
I don't have any hype for his return match, hope it'll be over soon and we get more Takamura.

Fairy Tail 529

Those oranges were quite something.

Kyuutei Dragons 5

I think what bugs me about this series, even if the art and premise are great, is that Mika is super uninteresting not mysterious and they focus on him to the exclusion of building up the other more interesting characters without ever actually building him up or characterizing him past "I SURE DO LOVE FOOD"

Uratarou 29

Monkey's Paw wishes motherfucker.

Whenever I see action in this it just makes me wish for more Nejimaki Kagyu chapters.

Fuck, gimme more chapters.

Promised Neverland 33

I first thought that was Emma's ear but...
and Ray made it
Edit: Actually it was her ear lol
aww yeah

also were the hell is Phil?

Dio

Banned
wait

what??

I'll quote myself from the anime thread

Anime of the decade confirmed, Pop Team Epic:

w940fDr.jpg

https://twitter.com/hoshiiro_anime/status/848189137890951168
http://hoshiiro.jp/

P03J9dx.gif

The April Fool's joke was that the Hoshiiro GirlDrop anime was announced on April 1st in Japan.

When it changed to April 2, the site changed to Poptepipic.

Joke plays off of this reveal from the 4koma with the same 'fake show':

Done by the studio that does the Jojo OPs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...a-pop-team-epic-gets-anime-in-october/.114232

Bets on VAs?

I got the first volume recently. Slow start but a lot of potential.

As for Ito, I didn't like Gyo that much, but Tomie is pretty great so far

Gyo isn't that great or good, people just like it due to the whole shark thing.

Takemitsu Zamurai Vols 1-3

A really charming manga, I was wondering why it looked familiar:
Then I realized it was drawn by the creator of Ping Pong and Tekkon. Trying to limit myself to one volume per day for this manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He probably will. Odds are the whole point of hyping this lefty guy up is to show how insane the new Dempsey Roll is. The whole foot swapping thing it has going on will probably break this guy.

Tomie by Junji Ito

Some villains are just pure evil. You have The Joker. You have Dio Brando. You have Majin Buu. Then you have...

tumblr_mvj6rd1Dbk1r4xqamo1_500.jpg

Tomie is an anthology series about an immortal woman named Tomie and her only purpose in life is to be a jackass. Its unclear what or who Tomie is. A vengeful ghost, a demon, a succubus, a playful trickster god. She is always a beautiful woman with a beauty mark under her right eye, and doesn't appear at any set age. What is clear is that Tomie is completely immortal in the most ridiculous of ways. Tomie cannot die. She has the power of influence over nearly any man to varying degrees of efficiency - sometimes the men try and claim Tomie as only theirs, others grow deeply afraid of her but the result is mostly the same; they kill her, usually hacking her to pieces in the process. All this does is usually make more Tomie that can spawn from her hair, her fingers, her mashed to pieces body. By the last chapter, at least half of the stories end with an army of Tomies marching off somewhere. The last chapters are about three Tomie who eventually go to war with each other and send male assassins after the other Tomie (Tomie is very, very vengeful and envious.) I'm somewhat disappointed that the end of the manga wasn't that every woman eventually turned into Tomie and all the men try and kill them, and then its planet Tomie.

484719-tomie_picture_09.jpg

As I said, Tomie doesn't really have a goal. All she does is be a complete asshole for no reason to random people. Tomie will show up in some location and proceed to fuck up everything and cause a swirl of murders and discord centered around her, then leave when she gets bored. Normal happy families, little boys, old couples, high school girls. Nobody is safe from this bitch! If you're lucky she'll just get bored and go somewhere else and you'll just have your nightmares. If you're unlucky, then you're probably dead, in prison or worse.

This is Ito's first serialization, but he had a knack for this all the way back then, although his artwork at times is more akin to Umezu then it is now; especially on cover pages. He still had the penchant for body horror and disturbing monsters.

So Tomie is good. Read it. I'll leave you with my favorite panel -

Taruranto

Yuureitou END

That was... certainly an unique manga. When it was good, it was really good. When it was bad, it kinda was kinda cringey. But at least it was unique and really different from most stuff I read.

Some comments of the plot:

I didn't expect Tesla to re-emerge and become super important in the plot. While I understand even the characters in the story seem to think brain transplant is idiotic (Or at least the sane ones do lol) the climax of the story still is about DAMN BRAIN TRANSPLANT.

Marude started out as good character, but in the ending part of the manga
he felt really corny, it's really hard to take a character which main objective seem to be live forever by BRAIN TRANSPLANT in a manga that takes place in 1940. I understand what the author was trying to portray, but I literally was laughing my ass off during the last 10 chapters.

The manga has some
(a lot of)
LGBT themes and feels oddly
progressive
for a Japanese work, with a lot of positive messages, but on other hand while Tetsu character is wonderful (I honestly wonder if the author put some his experience in this?) you have
Yamanashina, who is gay and a positive character (Who also manages to live against all odds, even if with brain damage) but also... only goes for young boys. And we are suppose to think it's a positive thing. There is also a scene in which whatherface slams her tits against him and he acts like he just saw a giant spider.
Uuuuh sure. It may be related to the cultural differences, it felt pretty odd and somehow of out of place.

Also the fanservice felt at odds with the themes of the manga. Tetsu was
pretty uncomfortable with his body and spent a large part of the manga hiding, so it's odd to see manga empathize his female body.
It's like the writing tells you one thing but the art does another. Make up your mind!

Tl;dr version, It's a good manga with some some interesting themes but the execution could have been better and there is some really dump stuff
like the dude with machine hand =_=.

Zweizer

Banned
Swap ⇔ Swap ch21

Swapping around doesn't seem very useful when it comes to horror movies.

SqLXtrw.png

What a shame.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch10

Elevator operator seems like such a dull job.

Top Bottom