• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

5PrKkLu.png
So when people were saying it's like the launch PS4 vs the launch Xbox they were not talking lightly. It's barely an upgrade over the Pro.

ekim

Cooling
To cut a long story short, Microsoft is using a vapour chamber heat sink. It consists of a copper vessel that forms its basis, inside of which is ionised distilled water under vacuum. Heat is absorbed into the water, where it vapourises. The steam convects away from the hot spots and condenses on the heat sink fins. It's highly efficient - but the heat still needs to be expelled from the system and the standard axial fans used on prior Xbox hardware wouldn't cut the mustard.

Kind of water cooling confirmed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Jaguar inclusion seems to be offset by some of the custom hardware they've included designed to handle certain DX12 operations - though we'll have to see how that pans out.

Widge

On the topic of 3rd party.

Microsoft says that while the porting work will be more involved, these too should hit native 4K.

Stood out.

Developers generally don't do more work. They get out the most cost efficient end product possible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed
Never expect will be Zen, but i guess still little better than simply Jaguar.
On the CPU side, there's been much conjecture that Scorpio would feature AMD's new Ryzen technology - something we thought unlikely, owing to manufacturing timelines, not to mention Microsoft telling us last year that the new console would feature eight CPU cores. All signs point to the upclocked Jaguar cores we find in Xbox One, and Scorpio's CPU set-up is indeed an evolution of that tech, but subject to extensive customisation and the offloading of key tasks to dedicated hardware.

"So, eight cores, organised as two clusters with a total of 4MB of L2 cache. These are unique customised CPUs for Scorpio running at 2.3GHz. Alluding back to the goals, we wanted to maintain 100 per cent backwards compatibility with Xbox One and Xbox One S while also pushing the performance envelope," says Nick Baker.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
To cut a long story short, Microsoft is using a vapour chamber heat sink. It consists of a copper vessel that forms its basis, inside of which is ionised distilled water under vacuum.

THIS IS TOO AWESOME

Forza running @ 4k/60 and 66% GPU utilisation. INSANE.

"the team can push ForzaTech to the equivalent of PC's ultra-level settings and we're still sitting at 88 per cent GPU utilisation"

Izuna

Banned
The Jaguar inclusion seems to be offset by some of the custom hardware they've included designed to handle certain DX12 operations - though we'll have to see how that pans out.

The things that really stood out to me are the forced 16x AF, forced v-sync (of some sort) and the inclusion of FreeSync/HDMI 2.1 adaptive refresh.

Those things are beautiful, especially texture filtering

We have to wait for E3 to hear about Windows 10 support tho? I mean, ffs

Jafku

The things that really stood out to me are the forced 16x AF, forced v-sync (of some sort) and the inclusion of FreeSync/HDMI 2.1 adaptive refresh.

Wow. That sounds amazing

imBask

Banned
This is all really cool, but kinda meaningless until they tell us how expensive this thing is going to be... you can shove 4 Titans in there all you want, if the console is $2000 I don't know who the target audience is going to be

Top Bottom