• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Caayn

The Jaguar inclusion seems to be offset by some of the custom hardware they've included designed to handle certain DX12 operations - though we'll have to see how that pans out.

The things that really stood out to me are the forced 16x AF, forced v-sync (of some sort) and the inclusion of FreeSync/HDMI 2.1 adaptive refresh.
16x AF forced and HDMI 2.1 support are great features.

Very interested in seeing result form the "dx12" hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That total memory and memory bandwidth sounds delicious.

I'm curious to see how the "DX12 implemented at hardware level" works in practice.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Did you see it running a game?

Yes. Well, a ForzaTech demo, which is a stress test based on the Forza Motorsport 6 engine, running the maximum number of cars around a track with dynamic weather and all the bells and whistles turned on.

How did it do?

Smashed it. At the same graphics quality settings as Xbox One, the demo ran at a full 4K resolution, at a perfect 60 frames per second. For Xbox One to do this at a standard HD resolution of 1080p uses about 90 per cent of that console's power. Scorpio was only using 60-70 per cent of its resources to run this demo. The graphics settings were then ramped up to the equivalent of the ultra settings on the PC game Forza Motorsport Apex, and Scorpio still didn't break a sweat.

Atheerios

About the price...

While Digital Foundry has revealed the tech powering the next Xbox, we still don't know the final name of the console, nor do we know how much Microsoft will charge for its mid-generation refresh. But one thing seems clear: Project Scorpio will be more expensive than PS4 Pro.

Ybarra told Leadbetter Project Scorpio is designed for "that premium customer, the gamer that expects the absolute best versions of the games" - so expect it to be priced accordingly

I tought we were supposed to be surprised by the specs?

The people expecting Zen were surprised ;)

I'm going to need plenty of time to sift through those articles to try and work what any of this stuff means but my initial (uninformed) reaction is to wait and see how games run on it before deciding how excited I should be

5BQk8zd.gif

What is this? Seems odd.

Specs look nice but without some more context on price and how this impacts games it isn't particularly interesting yet.

ekim

I didn't read through all the articles yet (still at work).
I just want to add that I also heard it's going to be smaller than the Xbox One S.

So a bit (maybe a lot I don't know what these numbers and acronyms mean) better than the Pro - okay. How Much? I don't like Halo or Gears or Forza so what about the games? E3 will be the time for us to find out I hope.

This is good. So smart to do this now. Then at E3 they can reveal the actual name, console form factor, show games (I hope), and give me a release date and preorder link.

Peroroncino

Jaguar? A bit disappointing no matter how they try to sugar-coat it with words like 'custom'.

We'll see how it's priced and what games they'll showcase on E3, but so far I'm on the 'nay' side.

Gator86

The numbers are definitely higher than other numbers. Some may argue that the numbers are not high enough, but we can all agree on this: they are numbers.

This is bullshit. Stop being a fanboy.

I wonder if Sony and MS are just going to alternate console launches now, keeping the same architectures and eventually dropping support for the older models, like phones basically.

Lionheart

HDMI 2.1 with adaptive refresh rate is awesome, the rest is what was kind of expected, not anything that surprising or outrageous. 12 GB GDDR5 is great of course, but PS4 had 8 GB GDDR5 more than three years ago, so not at all insane or so.

I still expect them to hit $ 399.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
If they don't intended to do a lot of 'Scorpio' patches for their older titles it's a little disappointing. All that extra power isn't going to do much for older titles without patches

Top Bottom