• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

I never would've thought it, but of late Black Clover (Once we moved out of the last arc, the LN tie in was odd as hell...) has really been hitting all the right chords with me, the last two chapters especially. Same goes for My Hero Academia as the last two chapters have been superb, making me kinda sad we're going back to Deku, not that he's not fun, just everyone else felt like they have been abandoned of late. Then finally we've gotten to the wedding in One Piece, and boy! What a wedding it's already shaping up to be, cannot wait for next week's chapter. Hoping Sanji finally get's his chance to shine in the new world.

Today I learned that the Yuragi Yuuna author illustrates a light novel where the heroine is a ghost-obsessed, gothic lolita yandere.

OBMOt2Q.jpg
Today I gained a newfound appreciation for the Yuragi Yuuna author.

Maybe she wants to be reborn from within Madoka!
That's a whole other fetish entirely and one I'm not touching with a set of forceps.

Ascheroth

I never would've thought it, but of late Black Clover (Once we moved out of the last arc, the LN tie in was odd as hell...) has really been hitting all the right chords with me, the last two chapters especially. Same goes for My Hero Academia as the last two chapters have been superb, making me kinda sad we're going back to Deku, not that he's not fun, just everyone else felt like they have been abandoned of late. Then finally we've gotten to the wedding in One Piece, and boy! What a wedding it's already shaping up to be, cannot wait for next week's chapter. Hoping Sanji finally get's his chance to shine in the new world.
It's not just you.
Black Clover has some really fun character interactions when it's not about fighting one-dimensional as fuck villains.

cntr

Banned
Agreed, Deku's great, but he's gotten a bit too much solo focus, and I want more stuff from the others. Hopefully they'll take advantage of Kirishima, Tsuyu, and Ochako being around and feature them prominently.

Wonder if Horikoshi's recent health issues have anything to do with it, since a bunch of chapters got shortened? Hopefully he's gotten better.

I mean, I've always defended Black Clover because it just is what it is; it's a dumb, fun shonen and it never punches above it's weight. I read it and enjoy it and that's all I really need out of it. It doesn't bother me so much that it's pretty surface level and doesn't really have any weight to it, I enjoy it's shallow adventure.

cntr

Banned
I mean, I've always defended Black Clover because it just is what it is; it's a dumb, fun shonen and it never punches above it's weight. I read it and enjoy it and that's all I really need out of it. It doesn't bother me so much that it's pretty surface level and doesn't really have any weight to it, I enjoy it's shallow adventure.
I haven't read much Black Clover and it's not particularly high on my priority list, but yeah, it always seemed like an okay shounen. It doesn't pretend to be smarter or deeper than it is.

It's like frozen pizza not pretending to be delivery.

Where do you guys buy manga? I don't know any discount places

Series Bulk, via Ebay which you can find deals that lower it down to $2-4 per volume (including shipping + tax). This is how I was able to buy 3/4ths of HxH for a sane price.

Regular Buying, Amazon (always check used section for non-new releases, you can usually get it after shipping for half the MSRP) and InStockTrades if there are no good used or new deals via Amazon. InStock almost never has sales (at least for manga), but all books are slashed between 20%-42% depending on the publisher (Dark Horse is 42%, Viz 30%). Instock tends to not have a great manga selection for certain publishers.

Zweizer

Banned
Just as wonzo made his surprise appearance, an oldie finallly gets its last two chapters translated. Methinks he needs to come here more often.

Munou no Hito ch5-6 (End) by Tsuge Yoshiharu

Alternatively known as A Worthless Person. Since it's been five years since the previous chapters were translated, a short recap is in order: It's about a middle-aged man who sells rocks and other worthless trash, and has a trash life, the end.

The short manga chronicles his daily routine, sometimes his circumstances, and always his musings, as he thinks of ways to get out of his situation, of his past attempts to live a better life, and ultimately, at his worthlessness compared to the other people he meets.

But ultimately, his misfortunes are not the product of extraordinary circumstances, and in the end at his core he's a normal man, a banal man, who made some bad decisions, was too easily disillusioned, and dreamed too big while doing too little. He's not much different from countless other, more successful people, and it shows how easily, if not quickly, one can be relegated to the dregs of society.

It's not a pleasant read by all means. The art is simple, yet deliberately somber, made out of only black ink on white paper. There's no catharsis to be had, neither for the reader nor for the characters. The ending itself can hardly be called that at first glance. One might call it nihilistic, and the manga itself could be likened to its protagonist in how it imparts his neverending misery to its readers. Still, it carries a certain poetic, yet sobering quality in it, as well as a particularily dour form of black humor, which some might appreciate.

If you're tempted to look into something short and somber, look no further than Munou no Hito, and may you never meet the same fate as that man.

💯💯💯

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) Hachishaku Hachiwa Keraku Meguri - Igyou Kaikitan by Jyoka

A series of horror stories as they're narrated by a wanderer seeking shelter from the rain and a taxi driver. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of the heart, as even discarding its horror aspects the various tales and their themes, inspired from folklore and creepypastas, can be quite traumatic. However, if you seek something bone-chilling with an adult bend, with some great art that is pretty good at conveying its uneasy atmosphere as well as the various horrors depicted, it won't disappoint you.

Zweizer

Banned
Dungeon Meshi ch33

They're smarter than they seemed at first, but I still don't like them. The leader is pretty messed up himself, though he's kinda like a reflection of many a video game player I guess, lol.

Taruranto

Hi guys, been a while. Eh, got kinda busy irl since persona 5 really taking my time 0¥0.
But uh, going to write some longer impression for some manga i've read

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 5

Well, what a ride. Okay, i need to gather my thought first.

Now, this is an autobioraphy manga, so everything seen here are mostly a real life experience of the author. Seeing the author struggle with everyday life due to depression and eating problem is gut wrenching. Author often use analogy or euphemism to illustrate her problem in a way that was interesting and probably make you laugh a bit despite the horrible condition she got herself into. The part where she talk about labia is amusing. 'The quest to find labia'

This is a good motivation manga that really feel genuine. I sincerely wish that the author find her happiness. Maybe in a manga, or maybe in another work. Congratulation to the author for finding her sweet nectar of life.

MZMoK45.png

I was checking this out of curiosity. It was... an experience. Very insightful.

The strength of Private Report is, amazingly for something translated into English, how strong it's explanation and the imagery/metaphor/whatnot is in it's language to describe depression. There were so many points in the manga where she said something and I almost stood up in my chair and shouted at the screen like "YES! THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT FEELS!" because so much media gets depression wrong or mischaracterizes it. Like this and Bojack Horseman are the most accurate depictions and explanations of Depression in media today.

I've come to realise that once you have an unhealthy obsession over the fictional relationship of a 400 year old skeleton and a 23 year old girl, manga and by extension, Tite Kubo's taste in chapter names becomes quite normal.

In other news...

Promised Neverland Ch35: Phil you magnificent **stard. Also things could still go very wrong for our young escapee's.. And I am more than okay with that!

Twin Star Exorcists Ch39-40: Okay, but why does it feel like there was a chapter missing between these two?

Dungeon Meshi Ch33: A challenger enters! And swarmy mcgee just get's more stab-able by the second.

Fancolors

Dungeon Meshi 33
I wonder if it ever occurred to the leader that Laius and his sister were just too naive to realize they were funding the black market. Dude is annoying, but I guess it makes sense for him being like that, his biggest fault so far is that he expects people to think like him.

The oni girl was cute.

cntr

Banned
The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1 - 5

I thought reading this would make me depressed, but instead I thought it was relatable and even cathartic.

Ten out of ten. Serious praise for the art especially, simple but extremely well made. My only regret is that there aren't many people I can show this too.

Wow, went back and reread that and realized I come across way more hostile than I was jokingly intending. Woof!

I'll just say that apparently rum makes me ornery and I miss wonzo hot takes.

spiritfox

Dungeon Meshi 33

Lots of back story and world building, things I love. Plus it fleshes out the other party and sets them as the antagonists of the story. Kabru is a manipulative bastard and it's gonna be interesting going forward.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Latest chapter make it clear just how busted Laius and co really are. Chilchak isn't even a real fighter but they can go down while scavenging the entire way, but for other dedicated parties it's a big ordeal.

cntr

Banned
Golden Kamuy 90

Impressive that the guy who defeated a bear isn't even the scariest one.

Dungeon Meshi 33

Whoa, this is going places. It's both kind of funny and frustrating that Kabru's both so perceptive and yet such an idiot, and an asshole besides. Love that Chilchack's an "old fart". Kind of surprised Sureau's getting a backstory. But then again, I didn't expect Namari to come back and be important either.
We should get an OT for this series already.

Top Bottom