• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Lunar15

Can we all agree a romance route for Mishima
would only be worth it for breaking his heart February 14/15th?

Mishima's romance route would involve the game not giving you any romantic dialogue options, but Mishima taking normal responses as romantic advances.

Then he shows up up on Valentines day and you're like "uh, what". Then he'd have some kind of adorakable turn where you could date him anyway.

kewlmyc

Mishima is actually somewhat decent by the 8th stage of his confidant.
He's feeling so courageous after saving his former bully, he randomly asks you out on the spot in a FeMC route. Though if you reject him, he handles it just as well as Haru does in the MC route (aka barely).

I'd rather romance him so Ryuji gets a "I was rejected for this?!?" face

dVDJiez.gif

Bonus points if in a FeMC route Morgana also start pining for you.

By the by it's not that I hate Mishima, his arc is pretty interesting actually. It's just he's Milhouse and the game never stops dunking on him, and it never stops being hilarious. Plus he's so lame in Hawaii.

I feel like a FeMC route for Yusuke and Ryuji would be great, and a romance with Akechi could be cool too, if only to develop him more.

I just really want a FeMC, you guys. ;_;

Zafir

Honestly, the only one that actually sounds off-limits is Shinya. Given how they rewrote a bunch of the S-links for P3P, I am totally convinced you could make Mishima date material (even if it'd still be really sad date material). Sojiro would be kind of weird, but arguably not much weirder than
dating your teacher

Meanwhile, Ryuji, Yusuke, Iwai and Yoshida straight-up seem doable (hurr hurr, "doable") with minimal changes. As for Akechi,
whatever, it's not like you couldn't make that one workable. There's absolutely precedent for getting close to a Persona villain.

I think Iwai and Yoshida are questionable and Sojiro flat out shouldn't happen.

Considering the subject of the first chapter of the game, I feel like a FeMC dating an older man is really tone deaf. Yeah you could say they got away with it on the male MC side due to double standards (I still don't really like it either way) but yeah....

Lunar15

Mishima is actually somewhat decent by the 8th stage of his confidant.
He's feeling so courageous after saving his former bully, he randomly asks you out on the spot in a FeMC route. Though if you reject him, he handles it just as well as Haru does in the MC route (aka barely).

Oh my god I accidentally forgot to add mishima to my list. NPC status confirmed!

Mishima's confidant is kinda creepy until halfway through when he figures himself out a bit. It ends on a strong note.

Mariip

dVDJiez.gif

Bonus points if in a FeMC route Morgana also start pining for you.

By the by it's not that I hate Mishima, his arc is pretty interesting actually. It's just he's Milhouse and the game never stops dunking on him. Plus he's so lame in Hawaii.
A cool thing bout a FEMC would be Morgana/Ryuji asking for you dating advice if you friendzone them, that could lead to some funny scenes, especially if there were troll advices >:)

Bladenic

Considering the subject of the first chapter of the game, I feel like a FeMC dating an older man is really tone deaf. Yeah you could say they got away with it on the male MC side due to double standards (I still don't really like it either way) but yeah....

Like you said, if they did it with male MC and they continually sexualized Ann to ridiculous degrees, might as well fully commit to both sexes.

asagami_

Banned
A cool thing bout a FEMC would be Morgana/Ryuji asking for you dating advice if you friendzone them, that could lead to some funny scenes, especially if there were troll advices >:)

I would like to help Ryuji to be a better man, and if the FeMC friendzoned him, help him to date Ann, actually.

Bladenic

I would like to help Ryuji to be a better man, and if the FeMC friendzoned him, help him to date Ann, actually.

Ann/Ryuji really got a lot of implications near the end didn't it? I wouldn't mind it. Then MC can get Makoto, Haru gets with Morgana, and Yusuke gets with art.

PK Gaming

Speaking of Mishima, I remember when tons of Joker with Mishima. Back before the game came out and when we thought he was this hella intriguing, slightly pitiful dude. And now... well, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually wants him as a gay option.

Bladenic

I still feel bad for him by the end, he's still a friendless loser :( you'd figure the Phantoms would interact with him more but no.

Lunar15

Mishima is actually weirdly one of the better parts of the game. All of his interactions are fun and so many of them include the rest of the cast. He's a loser, but there's something loveable about how much of a loser he is in the end.

PK Gaming

Would it be tone deaf? We're talking about a consensual relationship versus Kamoshida's hardcore sexual harassment/
rape
. I mean, I think the adult relationships are dumb and mostly there for pandering, but they should definitely be an option for the female protagonist. If guys can date Tae, girls should be able to date Iwai.

I still feel bad for him by the end, he's still a friendless loser :( you'd figure the Phantoms would interact with him more but no.

Wait til he's rolling in that documentary cash and he'll be fine. Strikes me as a guy who has online friends anyway, especially with after the phan-site and all.

On another topic, I would still like to see more interactions between characters in Persona 6. Running into other people at when going to locations and building your rank was a cool step forward, but like people are saying, it'd be nice if you could see meaningful relationships form between the other characters. I guess it'd be a lotta work though, and Atlus would never take the step of allowing characters to date anyone but the MC.

Zafir

No but it makes it fair.

No Sojiro though, that would be so weird and awkward with Futaba. Daddy Iwai though, yes.

Would it be tone deaf? We're talking about a consensual relationship versus Kamoshida's hardcore sexual harassment/
rape
. I mean, I think the adult relationships are dumb and mostly there for pandering, but they should definitely be an option for the female protagonist. If guys can date Tae, girls should be able to date Iwai.

I mean, I'm a woman, I want equality and fairness between genders as much as anyone but having said that I want re-releases to be an improvement on the previous iteration. The adult relationships in Persona 5 are questionable at best, and really are there for pandering as you say. I mean in most countries(and in Japan, so I hear), it doesn't matter whether it's consensual or not. Not to mention it's not like it treats it in a particularly mature or well told way either.

I'd rather them come up with better social links for the FeMC than reusing those characters. They're going to have to rewrite all the social links anyway.

That's just me though.

Astral

Yeah I don't wanna date an old dude or a former gangster with a kid, or a grade schooler, or Mishima, or Ryuji. I think Yusuke would be like my only pick. They'd need different Confidants for a FeMC.

So... in retrospect, Kawakami's pretty great, huh?

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/215440f83cd856bcfd9539d683270fdd/tumblr_opmdlybdaX1rs0zxko1_r3_540.jpg[/IMG]

Source

Mariip

Ryuji was the one pushing it. He just wanted to do it for art. #yusukedidnothingwrong.

Edit: and don't forget his genuine concern for her ass when she fell on it.
Funny thing is, coming from an art background i understand why Yusuke think that nude posing is not a big deal, still, i'm pretty sure that if Ryuji and the mc didn't push it he would have discussed the agreement better with Ann so that she wouldn't have to pose naked, especially since everyone in tokyo knows about what happened at Shujin :/

That's true, but I do also subscribe to the notion that what they do with the male MC is also somewhat tone-deaf, and the reasons I've read for why not (mainly, player agency) do apply to a female MC as well (especially since you don't have direct power relationships with any of the adult men save Sojiro). But if Atlus came out and said "we're doing a female route but no dating adults!" I'd be 100% okay with that.
except Iwai, fuck all y'all let me date Iwai
Even amongst the teenage cast I think there are enough decent options, and there's always the option for others if they introduce new confidants or replace some of the others.

ElFly

Yeah I don't wanna date an old dude or a former gangster with a kid, or a grade schooler, or Mishima, or Ryuji. I think Yusuke would be like my only pick. They'd need different Confidants for a FeMC.

ryuji is fine in the confidant

he could easily be a gay lover or the lover of a FemMC by changing a few lines in the confidant 9 and 10, just like everyone else trololol

Lunar15

Yusuke's intentions are largely pure. It's the blackmailing that's bad - especially considering the arc we just went through.

Kawakami's link is great. Easily one of the better confidants consider how goofy and borderline creepy it is. I think it kinda peters out at the end, though, and I'm not entirely thrilled with all the confidants that land on you helping them through the phantom thieves.

I can't get over how messed up the older person/high school student relationships are. Like I get it it's your fetish and as a student you fantasize about it, I even love the south park episode and make the nice.jpg jokes but actually seeing it played out creeps me out too much

Ya know, we spend a lot of time discussing a FeMC, but honestly it probably is the best option for Atlus to look into if the are eyeing up doing a rerelease at some point. Unlike P3 and P4, P5 really doesnt have much more room for any new additions. Sure some more group outings would be appreciated, but the game is already longer than even P4G without any additions.

You could make some things snappier like the popups for social stats only happening on rank up, and reducing loading times.

However a FeMC gives them the ability to create a lot of new content, without extending the already lengthy core game.

ElFly

I can't get over how messed up the older person/high school student relationships are. Like I get it it's your fetish and as a student you fantasize about it, I even love the south park episode and make the nice.jpg jokes but actually seeing it played out creeps me out too much

feel only kawakami is less creepy because Joker holds the power in that relationship, and at least kawakami feels a little bad for it

but yeah

Sayers

It's kind of interesting in the lead up but as soon as it starts getting intimate, just watching it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Astral

Meh. Only Takemi's and Ohya's are kinda creepy. Chihaya isn't that old and Kawakami's is extremely sweet and she is consistently conflicted and asks you over and over if you're sure about her.

kewlmyc

Meh. Only Takemi's and Ohya's are kinda creepy. Chihaya isn't that old and Kawakami's is extremely sweet and she is consistently conflicted and asks you over and over if you're sure about her.

Playing favorites I see. :p

I agree with you about Chihaya since she seems like she's 19-20 at most, but even if she's conflicted, Kawakami still agreeing to be your girlfriend, especially considering she's supposed to be the mature one, is still kinda creepy.

I went with it anyway due to it being a game, but her being your teacher makes it even creepier than Takemi or Ohya, especially considering her confidant is all about being a better teacher to her students, which she fails to do the moment she starts dating you.

Blunoise

So... in retrospect, Kawakami's pretty great, huh?

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/215440f83cd856bcfd9539d683270fdd/tumblr_opmdlybdaX1rs0zxko1_r3_540.jpg[/IMG]

Source
Doing my second play through and she still is my bae. I like mature women, and especially those with a kinky side. I only wished I experienced what he did on valentines night ;)

LotusHD

Banned

Yea like it's a whole fantasy thing, and I can try to be all like "Well, in real life, I'm no longer a minor..." (Which is what I do so whatever I guess), but yea, it's quite weird that they actually made it a thing lol

I don't see how Kawakami's is somehow one of the least creepy ones... In spite of everything, she still calls you Master for Christ's sake, and she's your teacher. Her being a little more conflicted about it compared to the others doesn't make hers better, because in the end she still went through with it.

Mariip

Ya know, we spend a lot of time discussing a FeMC, but honestly it probably is the best option for Atlus to look into if the are eyeing up doing a rerelease at some point. Unlike P3 and P4, P5 really doesnt have much more room for any new additions. Sure some more group outings would be appreciated, but the game is already longer than even P4G without any additions.

You could make some things snappier like the popups for social stats only happening on rank up, and reducing loading times.

However a FeMC gives them the ability to create a lot of new content, without extending the already lengthy core game.
The problem this time is that they did so many things in this game just because they did not WANT a FeMC... i mean, P3 could have minako because it was intended from the beginning of the production, in p5 though, i look at the menus, at the art and even some plot points and they look so male centric i don't really think they'd evend bother doing a female route and it's really sad... it's like they made some things harder on purpose

Still, that means a female route would feel even fresher than p3's so it would be great, but i think we'll just get some filler school events since this game didn't have many of those -_-

Ferrio

Banned
Haru has some uhh bounce, I'm surprised. I think first time I've noticed something like that in this game yet, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Curufinwe

I hadn't taken care of my build up since the start of the game because I didn't want to spend my own valuable time, so when Kawakami handled two big loads for me on consecutive days it was a real relief.

Top Bottom