• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 English Cast Revealed

kewlmyc

I hope that font is temporary. It has to be temporary.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to hearing more of the cast. That 30 seconds wasn't enough. Matt Mercer is in it and I can't think of a single role he's done that I didn't like, so yay for that. As for the rest, I'll have to check out their other stuff. The women who voiced DR characters should be fine since the DR dubs are mostly good. The protag being voiced by the Smash Announcer is awesome. The rest is to TBD for me though.

And while it's not enough for me to constantly derail threads and boycott the game, the lack of a JP audio track is kinda disappointing considering that nearly all other non Nintendo Japanese games have been doing this for a while now. Hell, even Tales started doing dual audio, which I didn't think would ever happen.

Tamanon

Banned
I have total faith in Atlus on the voice actor front. They seem to be good at directing, so that helps them craft the character voices to really fit well.

Nachos

Font choice, at least for the one attack scene text box, is probably a placeholder
What's confusing is that the English characters in the Japanese font actually look pretty nice for something that was designed for Japanese first.

I want to say the font in the trailers is placeholder, since the area title text is the wrong size, but you never know. Apocalypse's localized typesetting is pretty ugly, and the word "Protagonist" in the P5 trailer breaks the #1 cardinal rule of typography by skewing the proportions in ways the type was never designed for.

I don't envy the position Atlus USA is in, but I also don't trust a bunch of media people to make great graphic design. I really hope the Japanese designers are working extensively on the English version, because some parts of the Japanese version clearly weren't designed with English typographic rules in mind.

MSMrRound

SennoKiseki-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

Fie's an actual cat now.

I like that most of them are still relatively new to Persona.

Cautiously optimistic (but yea, I like both English and Japanese dub so hopefully AtlusUSA can pull through somehow even if it's the form of DLC like John mentioned).

Fonts look weird though. Definitely hope that they are placeholder images.

Dantis

"Show me your true form!" is a really, really bad line for stealth attacks.

Morgana sounds terrible.

Everything else seems fine.

"Show me your true form!" is a really, really bad line for stealth attacks.

Morgana sounds terrible.

Everything else seems fine.

When he's already on top of him and pulling off his mask, I'm pretty sure the "stealth" part of the attack is already over. Unless you're saying it's just a bad line in general.

Wait the protagonist actually talks in this one not just voice clips for the battles?

He talks ever so slightly more than P4's for example, but don't think he's going to be chatting it up the whole game. He's still very much a silent protag.

Dantis

When he's already on top of him and pulling off his mask, I'm pretty sure the "stealth" part of the attack is already over.

Oh, I mean because it plays so much in terms of the stealth thing. We'll hear it all the time.

It's just a straight up bad line. Really not good.

Wait the protagonist actually talks in this one not just voice clips for the battles?

He's going to say "Yes!!" really often, if that counts.

Oh, I mean because it plays so much in terms of the stealth thing. We'll hear it all the time.

It's just a straight up bad line. Really not good.

He's going to say "Yes!!" really often, if that counts.

Does he say it every time in JP version? I might've became numb to it I think.

He also says "show me your true face".

Better to get used to it.

Other than my mini rant about Morgana, the rest sounds kind of okay. Even Ryuji. Want to see more clips of the rest of the cast to get a better idea about the quality of the dub.

skypunch

Banned
I mean, the characters in that game lived on a city called "New LOS ANGELES", so why would the characters have British voices?

It's just unfortunate the city is modelled after Los Angeles, then. So many games are set in Los Angeles or New York, so it's a bit uninspired at this point.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
That font is awful. There's already an english font in the Japanese version anyway, that with some closer kerning would look far better than that one.

Also really not fond of that dub, not that I expected to be. The Japanese dub is one of the best I've played in a game, and from what's in that trailer I really doubt it'll come close. At least include dual audio for god's sake Atlus.

Philippo

Always thought that IGN was fishy, but to break in Atlus offices? Sheesh...

Anyway, i don't even have to read the list, i have complete faith in them for the voice direction.

That font is awful. There's already an english font in the Japanese version anyway, that with some closer kerning would look far better than that one.

Yeah font's awful, hope it's temporary.

Feep

Banned
As Xander Mobus is my roommate, I will be accepting payments of ten dollars apiece to give a noogie to P5's protagonist.

Twenty bucks for a towel whip.

Super inside baseball, but I have a question.

Atlus USA is actually telling us who the voice cast are this time? Have they done this before? Previous Persona games left the voice cast uncredited, and I thought it was because Atlus games were non-union productions. Does that mean this has changed and Atlus is going through SAG-AFTRA now?

(I know the identities of the Persona 3 and 4 voice casts aren't secret, I specifically mean that they didn't appear in the game credits or promo material from Atlus. That said, I don't know much about the marketing campaigns for previous Persona games, so maybe they actually have done this before.)

Lynx_7

The dislike bar in the Gematsu video is pretty high right now. On one hand I think the complainers can get pretty annoying at times, but on the other hand I kinda hope they're just loud enough to make Atlus really consider adding the Japanese voices as DLC. First playthrough would still be in English for me, but it'd add some replayability if I could do NG+ with the japanese voices.

Also I thought you guys were exaggerating about the font but then I watched the video. It really looks like some ugly placeholder. Reminds me of the steam releases of FF V and VI.

Neoxon

Super inside baseball, but I have a question.

Atlus USA is actually telling us who the voice cast are this time? Have they done this before? Previous Persona games left the voice cast uncredited, and I thought it was because Atlus games were non-union productions. Does that mean this has changed and Atlus is going through SAG-AFTRA now?

(I know the identities of the Persona 3 and 4 voice casts aren't secret, I specifically mean that they didn't appear in the game credits or promo material from Atlus. That said, I don't know much about the marketing campaigns for previous Persona games, so maybe they actually have done this before.)
If I recall correctly, these voice actors are non-union (except Travis Willingham, if the voice at the beginning of the trailer really was him). I suppose Atlus just wanted to drum up hype for the game. I believe that most of the VAs were credited in previous games (with a few exceptions, such as Naoto).

No returning Persona VA's makes me happy. Only familiar with Mercer and Mobus but happy they are in it.
Matthew Mercer filled in for Troy Baker as Kanji in the spin-offs whenever Troy was busy (be it Troy being on his honeymoon, doing other roles, etc.), but that's it.

DNAbro

To be honest, I would be fine with the game being dub-only if they would completely change the setting for the game just as in Ace Attorney. Just change it from Tokyo to a random fictional US City. At least the language spoken would fit the setting then.

It's the same reason I hate that all movies are dubbed into German here. Most movies are set in the US and it doesn't even make sense for the characters to speak perfect German.

I'm not criticizing the quality of the dub here. I'm sure Atlus will do a good job on that, but I dislike the dissonance between the spoken language and the setting of the game.

This is the worst idea. I absolutely hate that some companies do this. Yokai Watch for example looks ridiculous in pretending that it is America.

Just rewatched the whole trailer and I just hope that Ann's VA wasn't in there. Except the very first, they ALL sound quite off.

Absolutely fine with the Protagonist, Morgana, and unnamed adult VO lines shown in the trailer - but the "Shitty Adults!" line was just... bad.

I'm assuming that was Ryuji - but you'd think he'd have a deeper voice than that.

I seriously hope that they include Dual Audio if they're truly interested in 'bucking trends' with Persona 5.

ckohler

I like how Morgana sounds when she says "Finish 'em!".

Also, is that the protags' uncle who's talking first, the one he lives with while in Tokyo?

muteki

The dislike bar in the Gematsu video is pretty high right now. On one hand I think the complainers can get pretty annoying at times, but on the other hand I kinda hope they're just loud enough to make Atlus really consider adding the Japanese voices as DLC. First playthrough would still be in English for me, but it'd add some replayability if I could do NG+ with the japanese voices.

Also I thought you guys were exaggerating about the font but then I watched the video. It really looks like some ugly placeholder. Reminds me of the steam releases of FF V and VI.
If people were consistently vocal about getting both tracks with Dual Audio instead of jumping down each other's throats about which they like better for whatever reasons they might get somewhere.

Top Bottom