• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 English Cast Revealed

Absolutely fine with the Protagonist, Morgana, and unnamed adult VO lines shown in the trailer - but the "Shitty Adults!" line was just... bad.

I'm assuming that was Ryuji - but you'd think he'd have a deeper voice than that.
I thought it was a little bit too deep for Ryuji, myself. o_O

That was Morgana.
Futaba can't come along soon enough, then. That is underwhelming (especially compared to the STELLAR JP Morgana).

Neoxon

Nope, Richard Epcar.
042.gif

barybll

Banned
Not convinced with that trailer, ESPECIALLY since the jp dub is so iconically good.
I will need more to make an opinion but I dont think it will change until I play it for 50+ hours and get used to it, first impression sticks around.

I thought it was a little bit too deep for Ryuji, myself. o_O

I guess it's subjective, but it doesn't match up with his JP voice and nature.

Personally, I wouldn't take a punk with that kind of voice seriously - it just doesn't sound real to me.

Not convinced with that trailer, ESPECIALLY since the jp dub is so iconically good.

Agreed - which is why I sincerely hope that they include Dual Audio as DLC or on Disc.

The Japanese Dub is just too good to ignore.

(Will the Chinese release be fully subbed with English subs while including the Japanese voice cast?)

jackdoe

Nope, Richard Epcar.
I could tell, because I have an allergic reaction to his voice acting. His voice is just so damn bland and it doesn't help when he's voice a game where he's also in charge of voice direction as well (what, is he going to criticize his own voice acting for being bland?).

Just rewatched the whole trailer and I just hope that Ann's VA wasn't in there. Except the very first, they ALL sound quite off.

That was Morgana.

If you mean the main cast, the first that speaks is Morgana. But the "you guys are the Phantom thieves, aren't you?" is Yuki.

I like how Morgana sounds when she says "Finish 'em!".

Also, is that the protags' uncle who's talking first, the one he lives with while in Tokyo?

I think that one is the Director of the school.

Nozomi

Banned
Looks like i have to buy the japanese and english ps3 version for undubbing.

I just cant stand english voice dubs for japanese games.

Can someone who - miraculously - possesses both knowledge of the characters in Persona 5 from the Japanese release/trailers and the performances of the voice actors speak to how well they're matched up?

i.e: Ryuji is like ____________, and his voice actor does/does not suit him because of ___________.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone who - miraculously - possesses both knowledge of the characters in )P5 and the performances of the voice actors speak to how well they're matched up?

i.e: Ryuji is like ____________, and his voice actor does/does not suit him because of ___________.

Ryuji's one is probably the one in that trailer I think suits him the most. His voice sounds pretty similar to his Japanese one, though the delivery on that "shitty adults" line is a bit meh. His Japanese voice does sound a bit more aggressive though, which is quite important for his character, but as long as the English VA they've got has range he should be able to pull it off.

The Principal doesn't have much of a role, so getting the voice right isn't key, but for what it's worth I don't like it. I already mentioned he sounds dorky, which this one certainly doesn't.

Yuki's voice suits him decently, again it's difficult to judge him based on one line. He's meant to sound like a fan, and he accomplishes that.

Morgana's voice doesn't suit them at all. First couple of months spoilers:
Morgana's revealed to be a male fairly early on, and the Japanese voice sounds far more cocky and masculine, while still sounding cute. This one sounds really feminine, and doesn't sound cocky at all. There are some important scenes further into the game where I think their character will suffer because of this.
I also don't think the voice is any where near as iconic and fun as the Japanese voice, but nobody would stand a chance at beating the voice of Pikachu.
(Edit: To add to this, I feared this would happen. They had Morgana's voice cast back at E3, where it seemed clear Atlus USA's translator hadn't even touched the game. Casting a character that early is a terrible idea.

Protag sounds a lot more generic in that "Show me your true form!" line, like they're intentionally trying to give him no personality to adhere to past games, while in the Japanese dub he really shows personality in almost every line he has. But he barely talks anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Oh, wow, Atlus USA has gotten a good balance between actors that have a lot of experience, but are still not too absurdly recognisable. I was hoping they'd get Mercer for Yusuke - yay! I'm looking forward to seeing the character videos. The Smash announcer playing Joker is amazing.

A+ to Daymond and Mercer both getting in on the FFXV and P5 action, eeeey.

skypunch

Banned
Sounds awful. Like a Saturday morning children's cartoon.

There's a huge lack of sincerity in their voices. The "...and makes ourselves known to the world!" line sounds awful. It sounds like Promptu from FFXV. You can just imagine the guy striking a cheesy 2cool4u smile at the end of it like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Strimei

There's a huge lack of sincerity in their voices. The "...and makes ourselves known to the world!" line sounds awful. You can just imagine the guy striking a cheesy 2cool4u smile at the end of it like Sonic the Hedgehog.

So in other words, a teenager.

Seems fine to me.

skypunch

Banned
So in other words, a teenager.

Seems fine to me.

Teenagers talk like that? It sounds dreadful. It's the kind of voice acting you hear in children's Saturday morning cartoons.

Perhaps it's because they're dumb anime characters written for kids. Most JRPGs are.

Strimei

Teenagers talk like that? It sounds dreadful. It's the kind of voice acting you hear in children's Saturday morning cartoons.

Teenagers boast and some think of themselves as "edgy" and "cool" and junk. I've seen what I wrote when I was 14-16, I cringe so hard just thinking back. It reminds me of some of that.

As someone who's job is working with teenagers: yes, they do talk like that at times. I hear some really cringe shit some days, let me tell you.

skypunch

Banned
Teenagers boast and some think of themselves as "edgy" and "cool" and junk. I've seen what I wrote when I was 14-16, I cringe so hard just thinking back. It reminds me of some of that.

Teenagers never talk like that. The voice is so put-on. It's simply your typical American anime dub.

Strimei

Teenagers never talk like that. The voice is so put-on.

I can easily picture myself saying something like this to my friends back in high school. It sounds fine to me. I honestly think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here.

_Ryo_

Ryuji sounds like Tai from the original NA dub of Digimon, which is fine except for it doesn't fit his personality at all, and the way that line was read was all wrong He sounds too elated, rather than a mix of excited and pissed off. Think his voice is too high as well.

skypunch

Banned
I can easily picture myself saying something like this to my friends back in high school. It sounds fine to me. I honestly think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here.

You'd say it in the same exact way too, with that exact same kind of voice? I don't believe you.

I just hope we eventually get a JP audio DLC. I know they've said it's not happening but I like to hope.

Not having Nakata Jouji to spout his cantankerous anger makes me sad.

Strimei

You'd say it in the same exact way too, with that exact same kind of voice? I don't believe you.

Were I in a newly formed phantom thief group? Dude I wouldn't shut up about how awesome and cool and neat and such I'd look and I'd be making claims about how we're gonna show the world, become stars, etc.

Were I in a newly formed phantom thief group? Dude I wouldn't shut up about how awesome and cool and neat and such I'd look and I'd be making claims about how we're gonna show the world, become stars, etc.

I'd be doing the god damn naruto run all over the place.

Top Bottom