• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony defends decision to block crossplay: "A responsibility to our install base."

Oersted

It doesnt even matter what my point is so long as im not shitting on sony apparently.
The pr statement is stupid as fuck, nobody is objecting to that. But are we supposed to move ahead of that argument or stick to shouting like babies over it?
I dont see a single poster saying sony shouldnt do it, only some saying why they arent.
If it is as big a deal , im sure itll bite them in the ass and theyll come around . If not, im sure people will just sell their ps4s and move to switch/xbox. Keep fighting the good fight. Obviously theres room for nothing else in this thread so im not even sure why i'm posting anymore.

So your point is you don't see it as a big deal?

VariantX

Did Sony just "Think of the Childrened" in a situation where even fucking Nintendo of all people doesn't see the need to? Sony should fuck off with that bull. That aint the reason and anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows it.

Ploid 3.0

Atom Universe, Boundless, Brawlhalla, DC Universe Online, Pox Nora, War Thunder, Dead Star, Phantasy Star Online 2, Dragon's Dogma Online, Way of Redemption, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Games of Glory, Guns of Icarus Online, Motor Strike: Immortal Legends, Rocket League, Square Heroes, Street Fighter V, and Weapons of Mythology: New Age. Maybe more.

Paragon to add to the list. Unreal 4 Epic, they have some close ties to be able to patch it every week with no problem going through sony certification too. I wonder how they pulled that off.

I love my Playstation 4. I love all my games on Playstation 4. And more than anything, I love playing games with my friends.

So fuck you, Sony. Or maybe just fuck this decision. Or both.

I hope they catch a lot of flak for this and change their minds, but that is going to take one hell of an online campaign.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

What am I reading here? Children don't own PS4s? Or PS4 online is monitored to protect children? I can't really grasp the argument being made here.

Sean Spicer ain't got nothin' on Jim Ryan. Geez.

Agent X

Gold Member
Really, what's the disadvantage here? "They want your Xbox buddy to buy a PlayStation!" Ok. But what if with my group of friends I'm the odd man out on PlayStation and I'm considering buying an Xbox just to play with them? Wouldn't they be better served opening the proverbial borders so that I can continue buying games on my PlayStation?

I think some people are too quick to lean on an excuse of "this is business and they're not a charity" without considering at all possible downsides of being inflexible here.

You're right. I tried to touch on this earlier. The explanation that's frequently repeated is that "If Sony opens up cross-platform play, then someone would no longer need to buy a PS4 to play with other PS4 players" and that this somehow would encourage them to buy an Xbox One or Switch instead.

Well, the converse is true, also. If your buddies happen to play on either Xbox One or Switch, then you cannot join them if you're playing on PS4...meaning that if you're in the market for a new video game system, the PS4 is your least likely choice.

With that in mind, it harms Sony more to disallow cross-platform play, than it allegedly "helps competitors" to allow it.

While the answer he provided in the interview was weak (think about the children!), the reality on why this doesn't make sense FOR THEM is clear, especially because they are the market leader.

Shouldn't the "market leader" have market leading features? Why should they deliberately cripple the feature set on their own platform? This ill-advised move instantly gives both Microsoft and Nintendo a competitive advantage over Sony--one that they didn't have just a few days ago.

I am 100% if Microsoft was dominating right now, you would not see this cross play stuff from them. But now that they are trying to scrape by and build their X1 to PC ecosystem, this is suddenly in the cards.

Again, cross play just doesn't make sense for Sony.

But holding back features does make sense? How?

I understand Microsoft might have been stubborn or "the bad guy" about this in the past. That's not their position now. Their motivation for changing their stance is irrelevant...the bottom line is simply that they changed their stance, and their customers benefit from it.

Sony can make all of this bad sentiment go away in an instant if they do the same thing.

This may not hurt PS4, but Nintendo's business decisions in the NES/SNES days didn't immediately hurt them, either, but they sure as shit did in the long term. Making business decisions that only benefit you for a single generation is why platform makers fall apart in later years.

What happens when games from Ubisoft and Activision go the cross-play route? If Sony maintains its position on this, all it does is make it more likely that the game will be bought on other platforms, and that user base advantage people talk about becomes weakened. And in the future, what's to stop 3rd-parties from having a poorer relationship with Sony because of it?

That is also a good point. This is clearly short-sighted. Better for Sony to correct this error in judgment ASAP, than to let it stew and watch consumer and developer sentiment turn more and more sour.

I would not be surprised if there are people that have read or heard about this decision, whose future video game purchasing decisions have already been influenced away from Sony as a result.

Jim Ryan seems like a bit of a stuck up turd with the way he talks.

Also "for the kids". Fuck off. I'll play cross online games on PC then.

Calm Mind

Such a lame comment. Here is my reasoning from the feel the heat thread:

==========

Seems like a stupid move to make by Sony. I guess people who live in fantasy land might think it would be great to play with their friends no matter the console they are using, but a console manufacturer has almost zero incentive to do such a thing unless they are tanking and need all the help they can get.

There really aren't any advantages of having cross platform play for a platform holder. They would have to spend money to ensure their game runs well on Switch or Xbox. Seems like a waste, they would be better off making sure their game runs as well as it can on their own system.

They would disincentivize the purchase of their own console, their own hardware, their own peripherals, their own online services, etc. Simply put, from a business standpoint, cross platform play is STUPID.

==========

While it would be nice to play with anyone, I don't see how anyone can support cross platform play as a "good business decision", end of story. Maybe Sony should just give us free hardware updates and free games even if we are on PC/X1/Switch. Free Horizon and PS4 Pros for everyone!

The batch of Sony brand Kool-Aid this gen is extra THICC.

Agent X

Gold Member
So, PS4 is pretty much doubling the Xbox One in sales. Wouldn't cross-play be far more beneficial for MS install base than the PS4 install base?. If there is cross-play, why would an Xbox owner (with only an Xbox console) would want to ever get a PS4? Of course Microsoft would be likely on push cross-play...its more beneficial for MS.

It's a business, right? Similar concept as exclusives on a console (i.e. Forza Horizon 3).

Why would anyone want to get a PS4? For a multitude of reasons, which extend well beyond this one issue. You've got great exclusive games, the largest library of games, excellent controller, PSVR, Remote Play, SharePlay, PS Now, and other features.

If Mr. Ryan (or any other Sony executive) truly believes in his heart that PlayStation 4 is "the best place to play", then shouldn't that be self-evident? In other words, if PS4, Xbox One, and Switch are all placed on equal footing, able to play games cross-platform with each other, then wouldn't someone want a PS4 just because it's the best damn system money can buy?

Denying cross-platform play on PS4 doesn't "harm" the Xbox One and its fan base, but it sure as heck harms the PS4 and its fans.

Wedzi

Banned
Honestly what I want more than cross play, is just cross save. Let me sign into my Bungie account so my saves and DLC can be brought over from one platform to another and vice versa.

Would even be a super nice feature for a game like Gwent that's so heavily microtransaction based.

The fall out from this will create more fucks up for Gamers.........GET READY for Xplay exclusives....we already have DLC, Xplay next logical step..

Jesus. 4 the players indeed.

We really need to have an online campaign going against this.

Seems to be the shareholders are the ones keeping things back? I have no idea how that's even possible tbh.

Gwyn

y9tcz.jpg

MS has a lot to gain from cross play, and putting the pressure on Sony is very smart.

Make them look like the bad guys. If I was Sony, I'd say fuck no too, and I'm an MS guy

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's just a ridiculous statement. Sony's hurting both itself and it's customers here. Even as poor excuses go that's an absolutely terrible one

bakedpony

I have a feeling Sony hasn't prepared a proper response for this issue. It seems like Jim Ryan was just trying to find whatever answer his ass can think of.

NeonBlack

I'm not buying Xbox to play against a friend on a switch... Just buy the cheaper console

Of course there is no possibility that you already own an Xbox and your friend already owns a Switch.
There's also no way cross play will influence your console purchasing decisions down the line when you want one console and your friends all go for different ones.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Has anyone actually started a campaign yet?

Some people just can't be reasoned with, and all this back and forth bickering won't accomplish much.

I'm not saying a campaign would actually change anything either, but perhaps Sony as a corporation can be reasoned with factors other than pure money.

Maybe I could?

dolabla

What a garbage excuse. I hope journalists start writing articles and blasting them for this crap. Put pressure on them. There's really no excuse for not doing this since everybody else pretty much in.

Button

Banned
Lmao at the outrage. People act like Sony are violating their human rights and not just making a bad business decision. Cross-play is not as big as this outrage.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I agree with him but I think his need to word it diplomatically isn't serving him well. The war between the consoles is bad enough on furums and I really wouldn't want it in my games too. So, keep them apart Sony, please. Thank you.

You're right. I tried to touch on this earlier. The explanation that's frequently repeated is that "If Sony opens up cross-platform play, then someone would no longer need to buy a PS4 to play with other PS4 players" and that this somehow would encourage them to buy an Xbox One or Switch instead.

Well, the converse is true, also. If your buddies happen to play on either Xbox One or Switch, then you cannot join them if you're playing on PS4...meaning that if you're in the market for a new video game system, the PS4 is your least likely choice.

With that in mind, it harms Sony more to disallow cross-platform play, than it allegedly "helps competitors" to allow it.

Shouldn't the "market leader" have market leading features? Why should they deliberately cripple the feature set on their own platform? This ill-advised move instantly gives both Microsoft and Nintendo a competitive advantage over Sony--one that they didn't have just a few days ago.

But holding back features does make sense? How?

I understand Microsoft might have been stubborn or "the bad guy" about this in the past. That's not their position now. Their motivation for changing their stance is irrelevant...the bottom line is simply that they changed their stance, and their customers benefit from it.

Sony can make all of this bad sentiment go away in an instant if they do the same thing.

That is also a good point. This is clearly short-sighted. Better for Sony to correct this error in judgment ASAP, than to let it stew and watch consumer and developer sentiment turn more and more sour.

I would not be surprised if there are people that have read or heard about this decision, whose future video game purchasing decisions have already been influenced away from Sony as a result.

Good post which gets to the core of this issue.

Atomski

I don't want my kids exposed to those Nintendo weirdos..

Anyways it's clear he just pulled this excuse out of his ass. The shit kids are exposed to on PSN is bad as it will get.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's still really crazy how Sony went for the "think of the children" reasoning when Nintendo of all companies that is incredibly mindful of children and their best interest is okay with it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No matter which angle they take on this they look either stupid, or arrogant.

"Think of the children"

People stream themselves FUCKING with PlayRoom. The game made FOR KIDS

"We can't control outside forces"

So Sony controls PC Gamers now?

"We did it because frankly we don't need to as market leader"

Arrogant.

"It would expose a huge security flaw in our network"

Incompetence.

They can't really win.

three_muffins

Gold Member
Arrogant Sony is not something I appreciate as a gamer.
This response makes me wish for Nintendo and MS to succeed wildly.
Sony competing is much better, Sony winning... meh.

Top Bottom