• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

noshten

Just wanted to point out that ARMS is now the 10th best selling game (excluding accessories, etc.) on Amazon US for all of 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye#2

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2. Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3. Horizon
4. Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
8. Super Mario Odyssey (this is even crazier!)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

With the way it's still selling on Amazon, it might punch into the top 7 by the end of the month. I wonder how this will extrapolate across other retailers come NPD time.

Pretty impressive performance for Nintendo on Amazon, glad Arms is turning into a hit - I think it might have a more impressive launch month than Splatoon in the US. It's just a question of whether updates can give it plenty of legs for the rest of the year as more people pick up their Switches.

Raysoul

Wow you sure got me. I'm honestly not even sure what you're trying to argue with your Mario Kart example anymore. Snake Park should be in ranked because 200cc Mario Kart exists? For the record people definitely have complained about Worldwide races randomly switching back and forth between 150cc and 200cc because of the different strategies you need for each mode and not being able to prepare for them beforehand.

And I'm not trying to say that Snake Park is imbalanced. Everyone has the same mobility on the spinners so nobody really has a distinct advantage. An imbalanced stage would be something like Ninja Academy randomly selecting a player to start with the high ground for 2 out of 3 rounds.

The problem is that the only way to consistently win is to play the stage a very specific way that isn't particularly fun. No other stage in the mode hinges so much on a single gimmick. It's fine if you find it fun to play but telling me to feel free to avoid it is really funny. It's a randomly selected map in ranked mode. It can't be avoided! That's why people complain about it so much.

I'm not comparing the very specifics of the physics or gameplay of 200cc, I'm just telling some examples of video game situations that you would need to play differently.

Also, ARMS basics is the same on any stage. You need to hit the opponent, and avoid getting hit. Snake Park just adds some mobility in it. Knocked out of the platform? Get up and find a high ground. Enemies are jumping too much? Time your attacks when the opponent lands or use an arms that arcs from above. Can't hit because the opponent is sidestepping too much, there are wide arcing Arms to kill sidesteppers like RamRams.

I'm suggesting to avoid it if you want to play on custom lobbies. Yes, you can't avoid it for ranked online, so I can suggest you to just get good at that stage.

Fun is a subjective term. If you are not having fun at a stage because of the gimmick, then I think should stay as there are people that is having fun at Snake Park.

Zedark

Pretty impressive performance for Nintendo on Amazon, glad Arms is turning into a hit - I think it might have a more impressive launch month than Splatoon in the US. It's just a question of whether updates can give it plenty of legs for the rest of the year as more people pick up their Switches.
Do we know how Splatoon did in its first month?

ASIS

Just wanted to point out that ARMS is now the 10th best selling game (excluding accessories, etc.) on Amazon US for all of 2017:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Horizon
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

With the way it's still selling on Amazon, it might punch into the top 7 by the end of the month. I wonder how this will extrapolate across other retailers come NPD time.

As for gameplay related stuff, I was thinking that perhaps Nintendo will add some additional Hedlok modes in the future. I could see a jet pack Hedlok that forces you to jump to hit it, as well as an electrified Hedlok that electrifies you when you try to throw it(i.e., you create a current by touching him with both ARMS at the same time).
The craziest charting game in here is GTA5. WTF?!!

But yeah this is great news for ARMS. I really hope this becomes a staple franchise for Nintendo. Even bigger than Splatoon!

Speaking of a sequel though, what would you like to see in it? Obviously more characters, stages, and ARMS, but I mean from a mechanical point of view.

Personally I hope we get more anti air attacks cause any floating characters are just pure nightmare to fight.

Anyone else kind of burned out by it? After about 150 matches, I think I'm done. Will most likely take it out when I have people over, or dlc is released. Pretty sure I put about 40 hours into it. 7-10

Zedark

The craziest charting game in here is GTA5. WTF?!!

But yeah this is great news for ARMS. I really hope this becomes a staple franchise for Nintendo. Even bigger than Splatoon!

Speaking of a sequel though, what would you like to see in it? Obviously more characters, stages, and ARMS, but I mean from a mechanical point of view.

Personally I hope we get more anti air attacks cause any floating characters are just pure nightmare to fight.
I think coming close to Splatoon is great for ARMS, it will have to fend off lesser Japanese sales by virtue of not being Splatoon.

Wrt mechanics: some more tactics for aerial combat would be cool, Beyond that the mechanics are solid and I wouldn't have anything other than maybe a few balance tweaks. The sequel really should focus on adding content: a single player story mode worth a damn, and some interesting extra modes that focus heavily on the game's greatest strength: single player fighting. And create some fun >2 player modes that aren't uncontrolled chaos like 2v2 and 1v1v1 are.

KirbyKid

Finally finished all seven levels of the Grand Prix! It's kind of fascinating to think back about how much I struggled to get through Level 3/4 when the game first came out, and then today I was able to get through 6 and 7 without too much effort. Playing in the GAF lobbies and doing ranked matches really taught me a lot and helped me become a better player, and this is evidence of that.

but yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself for accomplishing this. I did it all with my usual Twintelle loadout (Seekie+ and Popper) and never switched to try to make things any easier. Not that there's anything wrong with using a more optimal set-up for certain characters; it was just kind of fun for me to try to figure out how to make my preferred set-up work in different situations!

Where can I get in on these GAF lobbies?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A collection of resources, research, and tips for people just jumping into ARMS or looking to deepen their experience.

----

• FAQ <-- New Players Start Here
    This is a list of some of the frequently asked questions found here in this thread and around the web; notably, it provides a more structured easing in to the mechanics and guides players toward gradual improvement with minimum frustration.

• Character Stats and Abilities
    Character list with abilities, throw damage and stat graphics along with some high-level play tips.

• The Arms of ARMS
    • Introduction and General Info
      Definitions for Arm weight, max distance, metrics for determining overall speed, and more.

• Arm Classes
      Broad descriptions of each of the classes of Arms, the aiming/throw methods they use, their style of Rush, and potential counters. This is where players hoping to think more strategically about their Arms loadouts and decide how to spend their slots should start.

• Individual Arm Stats and Notes
      Specific stats including all forms of damage, speed, element, and the unique and/or advantageous properties of every Arm in the game. This is where to check if you're looking to get a handle on the strengths or potential use cases for a particular Arm.
  • Advanced Tips and Techniques (under construction)

• Train Your Arms (ARMS as a fitness activity; under construction)

• Appendices:

noshten

Do we know how Splatoon did in its first month?

It was out for 5 days in May and charted 5th in the NPD and was 5th in June.
I believe the total for May was about 136K according to NPD regular. It passed 1 million in around 24th of June:

That figure includes more than 476,000 physical and digital units sold in the Americas, more than 368,000 sold in Japan, more than 230,000 sold in Europe and an additional 20,000 sold in Australia and New Zealand.

Arms could actually get to a million quicker at a higher price(Splatoon was discounted in Europe), It would require the US numbers to be a lot higher than Splatoon for the June NPD. Around 500K for June in NA, 200K in Japan, 200K in Europe and 100K in other territories.
I would expect that milestone to be passed in the next few days or early July for Arms. Splatoon's launch was held back by how unpopular the Wii U was - which isn't a problem for the Switch. Splatoon 2 would also see exponential growth as well, Switch is simply much better hw than the Wii U.

A collection of resources, research, and tips for people just jumping into ARMS or looking to deepen their experience.

----

This is a list of some of the frequently asked questions found here in this thread and around the web; notably, it provides a more structured easing in to the mechanics and guides players toward gradual improvement with minimum frustration.

Character list with abilities, throw damage and stat graphics along with some high-level play tips.

• The Arms of ARMS
      Definitions for Arm weight, max distance, metrics for determining overall speed, and more.

• Arm Classes
      Broad descriptions of each of the classes of Arms, the aiming/throw methods they use, their style of Rush, and potential counters. This is where players hoping to think more strategically about their Arms loadouts and decide how to spend their slots should start.

Specific stats including all forms of damage, speed, element, and the unique and/or advantageous properties of every Arm in the game. This is where to check if you're looking to get a handle on the strengths or potential use cases for a particular Arm.

*shivers* So...many...hours..of..testing...people better read it xD

Where can I get in on these GAF lobbies?
Discord is the best place to see if there is one going on, or asking if anyone wants to start one. You can find the invite link in the OP!

*shivers* So...many...hours..of..testing...people better read it xD
I was following along as this was made, and learned quite a bit. Been using Seekie for the majority of my time playing, and just now found out that it can be curved upwards when thrown. Been messing with the Ramram now that I realize how high the damage output actually is.

Good work, Hawkian! (and Gore!)

LegendX48

Beat Gran Prix lvl7 with Min Min. Ninjara can go fuck himself. Getting a perfect on Hedlok on 2nd round was nice and surprising though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Discord is the best place to see if there is one going on, or asking if anyone wants to start one. You can find the invite link in the OP!

I was following along as this was made, and learned quite a bit. Been using Seekie for the majority of my time playing, and just now found out that it can be curved upwards when thrown. Been messing with the Ramram now that I realize how high the damage output actually is.

Good work, Hawkian! (and Gore!)

Thanks! I know just what you mean. In the process of collecting this data I used Arms I wouldn't have otherwise touched in the hopes of "figuring them out" and found new viability and intriguing combos left and right. Phoenix, Thunderbird, the Missiles, Guardian, and Boomerang came out of this massively more valuable to me than they were before.

And yeah, Ramram is nuts. On the real you can take my Chak-Ram build from me over my cold, dead Arms.

I never would've thought ranked arms could wash the salty taste of an awful stint of overwatch out but here we are, no one but me and my arms to rely on.

Ashodin

----

• The Arms of ARMS

• Arm Classes

Bookmarking!

phanphare

Banned

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Horizon
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

As for gameplay related stuff, I was thinking that perhaps Nintendo will add some additional Hedlok modes in the future. I could see a jet pack Hedlok that forces you to jump to hit it, as well as an electrified Hedlok that electrifies you when you try to throw it(i.e., you create a current by touching him with both ARMS at the same time).

Super Mario Odyssey on there lol

that game is going to be something else

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any tips on how to hit jumping players without jumping yourself?
Sure!

The no muss no fuss answer is Hydra. It fires 3 missiles in a vertical tower and is just glorious anti-air, especially when doubled up (so you can do one shot, then a second after their air dash).

Homie and Seekie will also go after airborne enemies, and can even be thrown initially with an upward curve arc.

The Birds (Thunderbird and Phoenix) also have this ability, and when thrown straight also automatically curve upwards at the end of their max range. They require skilled use but are very potent.

Megaton and Megawatt can be curved upward a bit as well, and depending on what Arms your target is using may be able to plow straight through them.

Without jumping yourself I think that covers it. May be missing one or two...
Their relatively vulnerable as they land.
That's accurate as well. If they're jump happy (and not Helix -_-), you can watch for them to land and go for an immediate punish.

This game makes me so salty. I'm playing local multi against my 12 year old and he's kicking my ass to the point that it doesn't feel fair. I'm using motion controls and he's using joycons in grip. I'm Spring Man and he's the Cobra dude. Any tips to help me even the score? I feel like I can't react as quickly as he can (likely due to age and The fact that I have to think about what I'm doing and by then it's too late). I feel like dodging is way easier using traditional controls.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game makes me so salty. I'm playing local multi against my 12 year old and he's kicking my ass to the point that it doesn't feel fair. I'm using motion controls and he's using joycons in grip. I'm Spring Man and he's the Cobra dude. Any tips to help me even the score? I feel like I can't react as quickly as he can (likely due to age and The fact that I have to think about what I'm doing and by then it's too late). I feel like dodging is way easier using traditional controls.

Ha ha, the VERY first games I played of ARMS was versus my 9 year old daughter and she kicked my ass, two times! And I was TRYING!

Same with you, I was using motion controls. I went to using traditional buttons and now it's no contest. Movement, dodging, and jumping was way easier for me. Whenever I just want to practice motion and mess around I use motion controls with her, but yeah - when I want to get serious I need those buttons.

I think its takes 2x as much practice with motion controls before they get as comfortable as using buttons.

Ha ha, the VERY first games I played of ARMS was versus my 9 year old daughter and she kicked my ass, two times! And I was TRYING!

Same with you, I was using motion controls. I went to using traditional buttons and now it's no contest. Movement, dodging, and jumping was way easier for me. Whenever I just want to practice motion and mess around I use motion controls with her, but yeah - when I want to get serious I need those buttons.

I think its takes 2x as much practice with motion controls before they get as comfortable as using buttons.

I know how you feel but I'm stubborn and refuse to shift from motion controls. The final straw came the other night when he perfected me on that fucking Snake Beyblade stage and then proceeding to walk around the room dabbing as he went. I had to excuse myself and go get a drink....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I know how you feel but I'm stubborn and refuse to shift from motion controls. The final straw came the other night when he perfected me on that fucking Snake Beyblade stage and then proceeding to walk around the room dabbing as he went. I had to excuse myself and go get a drink....

LOL that's great.

Yeah that Snake Stage... we all know how BS it is. You HAVE to get yourself on one of those topper spinners if you actually want to compete. Too many times I've stubborned said "I'm not getting on those stupid things, they're so stupid." But then ask yourself: "Do I WANT to win this match?".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I think it's fair to say it's more than 2x.

There's nothing particularly unusual about this game's traditional controls, other than maybe an awkward input for block.

The motion controls are an entirely new method of control, from which you have no muscle memory to draw.

But it's really satisfying to succeed with.

Starting to get a lot more disconnects when I'm winning in the last round, and not able to rank up. Have had 3 disconnects from the last 5 opponents. Getting pretty frustrating. Hopefully they fix no xp for ranked to at least half or a quarter if the opponent disconnects...

Does anyone have what the fighters say at the end of each win?

I'd like this, too. Some stuff that Ribbon Girl says is unintelligible to me lol. It's weird with her; you can clearly hear her say "Ribbon!" or "Ready!", but then you get random blurbs like "Ribbonasty..." that sound totally Engrish.

DrDogg

Anyone else amazed how well this thing plays online. Ridiculous Nintendo has better netcode than other fighters.

It's actually not better netcode from my experience. Nintendo is just better at disguising it. I've tested it quite a bit, comparing online and offline in terms of what you can and can't avoid. Playing people in the same state it's about equivalent to a 4-bar connection in Tekken 7 (max of 5 bars). Playing someone out of state ranges from 1-3 bars with the Tekken comparison.

My testing ability is limited since I don't know that many people with Arms who understand competitive fighting games, but I have yet to see anything I'd compare to a 5-bar connection in Tekken 7. It's just not very noticeable due to how Arms plays and the fact that it's mostly hidden until it's a really bad connection and Arms start going through people or the opponent starts teleporting.

You're looking at a 19-frame attack in Tekken where latency of ~5 frames is a big deal, compared to a 40-frame attack in Arms where ~15 frames of latency seems smooth as butter and is fairly difficult to notice. To 90% of the Arms player base it's a moot point though.

I just won an online match for the first time in three days IM THE KING!

no really what the fuck is up with this game. I've never lost so much at anything in life like this game.

Can you look up your record? I bet mines hilarious, like 5-30, without exaggeration.

Can't they find other terrible casual players to match me with? Or is everyone 50 hours deep and using the pro controller?

MGrant

My Twintelle setup after reaching level 10 in ranked:

- Hydra: Dual Hydras is a surprisingly versatile configuration that offers decent chasing, aimability, and rushdown. Can also be used as a keepaway tool or up close for big rush-damage. This is an evasion focused setup that can work its way around heavy arms and curved arms. Its weakness is even more evasive opponents like Cobra/Min Min, but its anti-air capabilities make it fairly effective against air-focused opponents like B&B and Ribbon Girl. The graze damage from fire is a nice bonus, effectively giving them a larger than apparent hitbox.

- Ramram: Dual Ramrams offer less predictability than the Hydras as far as their flight path and zoning abilities go. They do good damage, outmaneuver most other arms, and have a great rush. Their weight is also better, plowing through light arms and forcing opponents to keep a healthy distance. If I know the opponent is going to be playing evasive, I'll put on a couple of these to try to limit their maneuverability.

- Third slot option 1 - Whammer: The whammer is great for countering both close-up heavy arms users and mid-range light arms users. It's not that useful against turtling or evasive enemies, but the rush attack is nice, and it has a long hit annimation that can lock people down.

- Third slot option 2 - Retorcher: The Retorcher, when combined with the Ramram or Hydra, is all about pressure. It makes Helix's tower stance a risky proposition due to the sheer amount of shit that comes flying at him, and also does a pretty decent job discouraging enemy parries when kept at the ready.

Some more cheesy strats for single-player! In addition to being an easy way to beat GP7 with any character, double Dragons also make completing 1 vs. 100 a cakewalk. I just did 9 characters in a row first try with that set-up. Still missing a Dragon ARM for Twintelle, though.

Finally unlocked ranked, can't imagine beating GP on the highest level

Double.
Dragon.

I do recommend beating GP7 once the "normal" way to have something to compare to.

Neiteio

With Ribbon Girl, I've really taken a liking to the default Sparky and the Triblast. I know from having them used against me that the Triblast is pretty overwhelming in the right hands &#8212; it's hard to see when you're hit by that explosion. And the Sparky's ability to temporarily disable an opponent's arms is super-satisfying. Although if the Revolver has the same effect (not sure), I might swap it out for that once I unlock it.

Also, I used to be all about black Ribbon Girl, but these days I really like "Christmas" Ribbon Girl &#8212; red and green dress, with bronze hair!

With Ribbon Girl, I've really taken a liking to the default Sparky and the Triblast. I know from having them used against me that the Triblast is pretty overwhelming in the right hands — it's hard to see when you're hit by that explosion. And the Sparky's ability to temporarily disable an opponent's arms is super-satisfying. Although if the Revolver has the same effect (not sure), I might swap it out for that once I unlock it.

The revolver shocks, but only if a single projectile hits IIRC. It isn't super reliable for that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With Ribbon Girl, I've really taken a liking to the default Sparky and the Triblast. I know from having them used against me that the Triblast is pretty overwhelming in the right hands — it's hard to see when you're hit by that explosion. And the Sparky's ability to temporarily disable an opponent's arms is super-satisfying. Although if the Revolver has the same effect (not sure), I might swap it out for that once I unlock it.
it does have the same effect, but the revolver fires three shots, if any two of them hit it will cause knock down and you won't get the effect of the stun. Sparky is much better at setting up the combo if you're using it for that.

Neiteio

The revolver shocks, but only if a single projectile hits IIRC. It isn't super reliable for that.

it does have the same effect, but the revolver fires three shots, if any two of them hit it will cause knock down and you won't get the effect of the stun. Sparky is much better at setting up the combo if you're using it for that.
Ah, OK. I'll stick with Sparky then. But man are the Revolvers fun to use. Maybe I'll make Mechanica my secondary.

Still not sure what my third slot should be for Ribbon Girl, after the Sparky and Triblast. Currently I have the Slapamander, which obviously has its uses as a wide-arcing weapon, although I wonder if other options like the Ram Ram might be better.

This game is ridiculously fun. If this was released during the N64 it'd be one of the most fondly remembered titles. Hopefully it doesn't get lost in modern gaming's AAA shuffle.

Easy Allies are streaming their own casual tournament on Switch right now. Its been pretty fun to watch, this really is a great game for getting together with friends.

Kuugrr

I'm enjoying this game so much more than I thought I would. I love fighting games but am not particularly good at them, and there are so many things about ARMS that teach fighting game things that I have tried to explain to friends. I love that the minigames are basically like additional training for various parts of a real match, like learning what the physics of a ball-shaped object are, or just learning how to play footsies through things like the Hoops mode.

Gosh, it's just so good. I haven't done much beyond playing ranked and GP and getting arms with gold, but I got a Switch a week ago and can't stop playing it. It honestly feels like I'm learning skills I've always wanted to get a better grasp on and can take some of the mentality and teachings forward into something like Dragon Ball FighterZ, for example.

One thing I'd really love to see, though, is a real functional training mode with various options for testing stuff, and maybe a selection of ARMS that are specific to a character. I like the way it's set up now, but I wonder if having some element of something unexpected in terms of what ARMS you'll encounter online would be even better.

Still not sure what my third slot should be for Ribbon Girl, after the Sparky and Triblast. Currently I have the Slapamander, which obviously has its uses as a wide-arcing weapon, although I wonder if other options like the Ram Ram might be better.

Definitely an arcing weapon. Ramram and Slapamander are both great.

NimbusD

after being out of the house all weekend w the switch I finally gave traditional controlls in handheld a try. holy shit this game clicked hard with me. I'm not the best, but I can handily kick peoples asses up to level 6 ranked, and even then the matches are a bit more even but I'm winning more than I'm losing, really only have trouble figuring out how to counter a few cheezy strats (like hiding directly behind an electric guardian, can mostly dodge it or hit around it but it hits enough and shuts my advances down enough that its a hit or miss if I can get the pace of the game back on my side).

after it clicking I tried going back to motion controls and yeah, I just can't see how anyone could be nearly as good with them. unless there were a button to punch and then you just control it with motion, that would be awesome. That's one of my two main gripes with the motion controls, that millisecond it takes to register your move as a punch, whereas a button press would just register, usually is the difference between punching through a grab or punching someone before they can recover and dodge, it's just not quick enough. The other gripe is, even getting used to it, a guard sometimes registers as punches and grabs sometimes registers as two punches. enough so that you lose close games because of it.

But seriously, to anyone struggling with the motion, give the tradional controls a try to a bit and see if it clicks. It helps a lot to gfigure out how different arms are SUPPOSED to move, as you have the analog stick feedback and you know it's not just a punch swing that didn't register properly.

Ah, OK. I'll stick with Sparky then. But man are the Revolvers fun to use. Maybe I'll make Mechanica my secondary.

This game is ridiculously fun. If this was released during the N64 it'd be one of the most fondly remembered titles. Hopefully it doesn't get lost in modern gaming's AAA shuffle.

Honestly I was just thinkign about this today, how switch would be king of the hill during the n64 era, like in a good way. As in the games, nintendo's , the third party offerings, and especially the indie draw, all are focused on fun and interesting gameplay rather than crazy graphics or being an 'event' type of game. I'm having a blast and I'm so pleasently surprised by arms.

Top Bottom