• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Any scene with Jamie Foxx was fucking tense. Butt clenching tense.

This is the first movie where I was actually scared of Foxx. He played a more convincing psychopath than when he was Electro.

Jamie Foxx was terrifying in this. I was telling my friend after we don't see enough criminals who are just unhinged and give off the impression of being extremely dangerous like that. Every time he was on screen you tensed up

Agreed, I wasn't prepared for how unsettling Foxx would be. Never seen him do a bad guy like this before and he played it very well.

Brakke

Banned
The part I loved about the recap is
how we first think "oh, well, I guess he's gonna get off then." Instead, he gets 25 goddamn years, and is lucky to get out in five.
The movie pulls the rug out, though it doesn't have the mean streak to really make that mean much. I enjoyed the small flip all the same.

Movie doesn't pull the rug out at all.
He rides off into the sunset with his ladylove, looking exactly the same, comfortable knowing that everyone he directly interacted with likes him. It's the flimsiest "consequence" to the point of being a waste of time.

You see, I was once in love too.

Oh, okay then.

Could've at least had him say "I used to love a girl named Martha Debora."

BBboy20

cNmX9tt.jpg

Draper

Movie doesn't pull the rug out at all.
He rides off into the sunset with his ladylove, looking exactly the same, comfortable knowing that everyone he directly interacted with likes him. It's the flimsiest "consequence" to the point of being a waste of time.

Could've at least had him say "I used to love a girl named Martha Debora."

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME

Also, I feel like there were so many opportunities for
Hamm to gun Baby down. And did they ever elaborate on why he used the old crew again?

Zen Aku

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME

Also, I feel like there were so many opportunities for
Hamm to gun Baby down. And did they ever elaborate on why he used the old crew again?
Doc never uses the exact same crew twice.
Baby, Bats, Buddy and Darling never work together before on the same job.

Theecliff

Banned
I thought Spacey said he usually never worked with the same crew, and the last heist was an exception?
the last heist doesn't use the same crew, the combination of people is still different.
but i think it's more than that -
the line 'if you don't see me again, i'll be dead' has a lot of emphasis put on it and subsequently becomes quite ironic. griff eyed up darling like bats did later on in the film, of which we discover is enough of a reason for buddy to kill someone over. they even discuss how they've done it before in front of baby (although i can't remember whether it's vague enough to be about griff or they specify who they meant). either way, i think the implication is there.

Choomp

Banned
Liked this a lot! Wasn't a fan of how it ended though.

Just want to give a shout out
to the shot of Jon Hamm when he's all fucked up in the car with the red lighting, it was the coolest thing ever I almost just yelled in the theater

Lunar15

Deborah's dialogue was insanely jarring, especially in that first scene where they met. It just felt like the most unnatural scene ever.

I enjoyed the movie though. The on-foot chase was probably the highlight.

Was that a reference to something?

I don't know if they specifically mean this but there is a thing going on with
colors in the movie.

Red: Anything to do with Baby's life as a driver.
Blue: Anything to do with Debora or running away.
Gold: Anything to do with Baby's mom.

Examples: in the beginning all the cars and colors are mostly red, it's not till we meet Debora that we start seeing blue. When they kiss at the laundry mat there is red, blue, yellow in washing machines, because all of his emotions are hitting him at once. Debora always wears blue, the note Baby writes her on the napkin is in blue crayon, the car Baby is playing with on the table when he knows he wants to dip is blue, the first car in that heist is blue (also that heist has a lot of purple going on which is a mixture of blue/red), on the foot chase he grabs a blue hat (and yellow sun glasses). The mustang Baby steals is red as he's breaking the law again, his gloves were red and he throws them away. Debra wears a gold dress and reminds him of his mother, his mothers tape is gold. There is a neon sign in the diner and only the words TO GO are in blue, the SUV Baby and Debra are in when Baby gives himself up is blue.

The only thing I didn't understand was the last car in his dream/after prison had red interior, but now that they're talking about sequels that makes sense too.

Dishwalla

Banned
Anyone in Atlanta know if actual radio stations were used in the scene where he takes the purple Chevy from that old lady and is flipping through stations looking for music? The station he lands on that plays "Radar Love" is 97.1 according to the display, thought it would be interesting if it was an actual classic rock station in Atlanta.

123rl

Awesome film. Foxx and Spacey stole the show. The visuals, the camera work, the music, the incredible stunt driving, and the amazing way that all of that synced up together was classic Edgar Wright. Studios just need to give him the budget and crew that he requests, step back and let him do whatever because he’s one of the most bankable and talented directors in the industry

I am usually not his biggest fan, but Jamie Foxx kills it here.

"Fuck yo baby"

he's a really talented guy that unfortunately comes in a lot of shit. But when he's on, such as in here, dude is on fire.

His Austin Powers impression when he
lets baby know of JD's demise
got the audience cracking up too. dude had so many good scenes.

such a salty asshole in here.

Symphonia

Banned
They should've ended the film
with Baby being sentenced. The rumoured sequel could then be seeing how Baby adapts and survives prison, with the last third of the film being another heist set up by Spacey, who somehow survived.

I'm kididng, of course. I don't want a sequel.

The ending did suck, though, but the rest of the film was fucking beautiful.

cntr

Banned
I definitely want more music-oriented movies, but a direct sequel, or heck, a direct copy of the execution? Nah.

Saw this yesterday. Really enjoyed it but its my least favorite Edger Wright movie. Its still a must see in the theater. Movie is brimming with personality.

Felt the third act was kind of weak.

Rydeen

I'm still digesting this, I think I appreciate and respected it for taking risks more than liking it. Wright doesn't play it safe and is constantly subverting expectations, but when you take risks, they don't always pay off. It's meticulously put together, edited, production design, cinematography, most of the acting works, it just never builds to the crescendo it could have, and I think a big part of that is Wright trying to subvert what we think is going to happen, but then it deflates the balloon of escalation that the film is building when you do that.

It's not a surprise that Walter Hill was a huge influence on this movie, it's definitely a big love letter to movies like The Driver and Streets of Fire, his DNA is all over the movie, but there's a reason the majority of Hill's filmography is definitively in the "cult" category, because as perfect as some elements are in those films, there's a lot that doesn't gel completely or feels off from the rest of the flow of the film.

A think a big part of that is Baby himself, Ansel Elgort never quite clicks as the lead, his laconic demeanor doesn't feel effortless, it feels forced. What Gosling was able to do in Drive so effortlessly, Elgort doesn't naturally look or feel like a guy who has that rhythm, it looks and feels rehearsed, not spontaneous or spur-of-the-moment joyful like it should be. If I had to make a comparison to a Walter Hill film, it would be Michael Paré in Streets of Fire, who never quite clicks as being effortlessly cool the way other actors of his generation did (or his co-star Willem Dafoe as the antagonist did), and Elgort is kind of in the same boat.

it's still absolutely worth seeing in the theater, as all of Wright's films are a treasure trove of film riches, but it never feels effortless like Hot Fuzz, it never goes all out and embraces where the movie should go for the sake of the audience, it's Wright trying to be a little too clever in subverting the cliches of the genre for his own good.

Absolutely wonderful movie. Loved pretty much everything about it. I enjoyed the small things, like how much of the scenes in the movie are in sync with the rhythm of the music.

That moment when
Baby escaped the mayhem of the last encounter and put on Barry White - Never Gonna Give Ya Up, was wonderful. The lyrics of that song perfectly portrays how Baby feels about Debora. He was dead set, on that moment, to leave everything behind and there was Mr. Hamm, spoiling everything.

Heck. That entire scene had me nodding my head in approvement.

I think this is a good film, borderline great. It's the most un-Edgar Write film and the most Edgar Write film at the same time in terms of it's pacing and general style.

Some of the romance fell flat, but the first and last act, minus the last five minutes, were really great and some of the most fun I've had with a movie in a long time.

That's my take away too, although I don't know if I would say "real movie", but I understand what you're trying to say.

Yep everything was great for me except for the last 3-5 minutes.

Even though anyone who has lived in Atlanta knows there is no way this moving could ever happen with the amount of traffic there lol.

Sean C

Awesome film. Foxx and Spacey stole the show. The visuals, the camera work, the music, the incredible stunt driving, and the amazing way that all of that synced up together was classic Edgar Wright. Studios just need to give him the budget and crew that he requests, step back and let him do whatever because he’s one of the most bankable and talented directors in the industry
"Bankable" is an exaggeration. His work has never gone beyond cult hit status, at least at the North American box office, and his highest-budgeted film to date was an outright flop.

valeo

So I saw this last night - preview screening - and I was a little underwhelmed after all the hype.

It starts strong, and I think it ends strong, but the middle chunk (i.e. most of the movie) is horribly boring. The main actor has 0 charisma (I think he's a little goofy), and neither does his love interest. Jon Hamm is pretty good - so is Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx; I feel like they keep it together (barely).

The vibe in the theatre for that middle chunk was bordering on zombie-like; people were falling asleep to the left and right of me.

Think it's my least favourite Edgar Wright film..

Soundtrack kicked ass, though.

I'm honestly surprised; my consensus normally lines up pretty well with popular opinion and I'm not one to go against that opinion all that often - I'm actually kind of sad that I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to.

I'm still digesting this, I think I appreciate and respected it for taking risks more than liking it. Wright doesn't play it safe and is constantly subverting expectations, but when you take risks, they don't always pay off. It's meticulously put together, edited, production design, cinematography, most of the acting works, it just never builds to the crescendo it could have, and I think a big part of that is Wright trying to subvert what we think is going to happen, but then it deflates the balloon of escalation that the film is building when you do that.

It's not a surprise that Walter Hill was a huge influence on this movie, it's definitely a big love letter to movies like The Driver and Streets of Fire, his DNA is all over the movie, but there's a reason the majority of Hill's filmography is definitively in the "cult" category, because as perfect as some elements are in those films, there's a lot that doesn't gel completely or feels off from the rest of the flow of the film.

A think a big part of that is Baby himself, Ansel Elgort never quite clicks as the lead, his laconic demeanor doesn't feel effortless, it feels forced. What Gosling was able to do in Drive so effortlessly, Elgort doesn't naturally look or feel like a guy who has that rhythm, it looks and feels rehearsed, not spontaneous or spur-of-the-moment joyful like it should be. If I had to make a comparison to a Walter Hill film, it would be Michael Paré in Streets of Fire, who never quite clicks as being effortlessly cool the way other actors of his generation did (or his co-star Willem Dafoe as the antagonist did), and Elgort is kind of in the same boat.

it's still absolutely worth seeing in the theater, as all of Wright's films are a treasure trove of film riches, but it never feels effortless like Hot Fuzz, it never goes all out and embraces where the movie should go for the sake of the audience, it's Wright trying to be a little too clever in subverting the cliches of the genre for his own good.

This kind of sums up my thoughts a little better; especially your comments on Ansel Elgort.

WriterGK

I saw this for the second time on Wednesday. And saw Scott Pilgrim vs World on Friday for the first time. I even think Baby Driver was better the second time for me. Not a single scene now felt unnecessary or too much. It all was perfect and to the point. And things got build on later in the movie. The first time I gave this a 7.5 and now I rated it an 8.3/10
And I gave Scott Pilgrim vs The World an 8.2/10
I really loved both movies. Scott Pilgrim is so hilarious, its obscene.

Beaulieu

relationship was cheesy as fuuuuck

car chases had waaaaay too many cuts; I didn't know what was going on most of the time. It's cool that they use practical effects but what's the point if no plan lasts more than half a second...

third act was the best one for me, except for the very bad ending

okay flick, but far from the hype I had, unfortunately :(
bottom tier Wright

I enjoyed the small things, like how much of the scenes in the movie are in sync with the rhythm of the music.

it's not really a "small thing", it's the main draw of the movie...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I liked the movie except for Jamie Foxx's character, he plays a fool.

Movie was pretty good, but the final act needed a bit more action. Or better? I dunno. It was still awesome. Growing on me the more I think about it.

There are so many little moments that made me laugh. I can't even think of all of them. My favorite had to be when
Spacey called Baby out on using a line from Monsters Inc. I completely didn't get the reference the first time Baby did it, even though they'd shown the clip on TV. Spacey's reaction was perfect, especially when he turns away and says that his nephew watched the movie or whatever. He genuinely seemed hurt.

Top Bottom