• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Female Character Design in Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Vomit inducing

2f6cf713eff71c7f5f0b85aa99602a8c--girls-characters-female-characters.jpg

Paging Jawmuncher.

Toxi

Banned
Japanese games except for Souls the thread.

Seriously, 99% of JRPG/Anime designs are fucking awful.
Souls has one female design that's pretty mediocre

Zfx1qNl.jpg

I feel terrible criticizing anyone who's part arachnid, but Scorpioness Najka is just so bland and underwhelming compared to Chaos Witch Quelaag from the previous game. I actually think it's mostly the human half that falls flat; she looks so plain and small and doesn't really combine with the intimidation of her scorpion half. I like a lot of Dark Souls 2's designs, but this one definitely wasn't a winner.

JackelZXA

I mean, you can argue it all you want, but your are objectively wrong.
People who live in the desert actually DO wear layers of protection. Quiet would be dead or incapacitated pretty quickly wearing her ridiculous outfit in a desert environment.

Maybe consider the possibility that the faux outrage is your own concern over a nonexistent double standard.

She's magic and can phase handcuffs through her skin but also there's weird limitations with her getting thirsty or something?? I still don't really get how she works scene to scene.

I woulda liked if she had weird looking burnt up veins all over her that were popping in and out of existence. Having that as an element would have been a little more interesting in a "Jack wears very little to show off her tattooes in mass effect" kinda way I guess.

I think there's something to the Lara Croft thing and I've thought about making an imagechart of every character that's just hungergames girl design (short brown hair in a ponytail with jeans and a tshirt. Not exact but that's the general idea.) I think that's sort of becoming the Nathan Drake/Tom Cruise of "safe" female character designs that test well in most demographics. Even both female leads in Force Awakens and Rogue one kind of have that. Go to Mass Effect Andromeda and it's literally Nathan Drake and Hunger Games girl. (Last of us does it, even before Hunger Games you could say L4D and Portal 2 did it with Zoey and Chell.) It's just such a common look as a "generic female action star" that I think making a big list of characters that all fit that same mold would actually be kind of amusing.

Vomit inducing

2f6cf713eff71c7f5f0b85aa99602a8c--girls-characters-female-characters.jpg

What? What's wrong with that character? She has a cool sneaking suit and looks pretty solid as far as attire and design goes. The art style is kind of plain but I don't really see what could be called bad about this character design?

Griss

That statement isn't really controversial, actually it describes a lot of the issues I have with the designs of Hyrule Warriors in general, a case study in another team of designers missing what makes the originals so good.

Really? Huh, I see this Zelda often coming up in 'best Zelda designs' threads and it always baffles me. So I thought it was quite a popular design. Glad at least someone else sees it the same way.

Y-I-K-E-S

What? I like fanservice, I like boobs. Put 'em in a game and if they're done right I'll have a smile on my face whenever they're on screen. Nothing unusual or shameful about that in the slightest. Quiet definitely delivered on that score - she was gorgeous, and the amount of skin shown was outrageous. I get that she's ridiculous, but for me, I enjoyed it.

Honestly went over my head for years until someone pointed it out a little while ago.

fdfe29daf61cf7a02c1cfae910cb671e.jpg

They kinda pull that shit Riku in FFX as well.

This image has always made me seriously uncomfortable. Scrolling through a thread at speed you think 'Wait, what the FUCK did I just see?'

Every single time somebody mentions Nier Automata I die inside.

Sexy doesn’t mean it’s a bad design, just like ugly doesn’t mean it’s bad. It depends. I personally like sexy designs, much more likely to play a game honestly. Blah blah disrespectful to women, have you seen how young girls these days dress?

I don’t care if it’s male or female, sexy designs don’t automatically make something bad. Who fucking cares, it’s a video game. I personally love that Japan doesn’t give a fuck about political correctness. PC ruins shit.

Hate to break it to you buddy, but there can be multiple different types of 'feminine' faces...
I’m not disagreeing with that but NRS literally just put boobs on dudes and chop their dicks off.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Someone that does what she does is going to be in shape. Her design makes more sense then any other design in this thread.
Exactly. The issue is that it does make sense, she's not there to be oogled at by a perceived male audience. She's a power fantasy.

cabelhigh

Neo Member
What? I like fanservice, I like boobs. Put 'em in a game and if they're done right I'll have a smile on my face whenever they're on screen. Nothing unusual or shameful about that in the slightest. Quiet definitely delivered on that score - she was gorgeous, and the amount of skin shown was outrageous. I get that she's ridiculous, but for me, I enjoyed it.

I think it's pretty fucking insulting that one of the most important female characters in the game is reduced to ass shots and ogling for a good portion of their screen time. Not to mention incredibly shameful. How are we supposed to make the case for video games being for more than horny teenage boys if every female character is objectified to hell and back? Fan service is gross as fuck.

JusDoIt

Every single time somebody mentions Nier Automata I die inside.

Sexy doesn’t mean it’s a bad design, just like ugly doesn’t mean it’s bad. It depends. I personally like sexy designs, much more likely to play a game honestly. Blah blah disrespectful to women, have you seen how young girls these days dress?

I don’t care if it’s male or female, sexy designs don’t automatically make something bad. Who fucking cares, it’s a video game. I personally love that Japan doesn’t give a fuck about political correctness. PC ruins shit.

I’m not disagreeing with that but NRS literally just put boobs on dudes and chop their dicks off.

How do you feel about ethics in video game journalism?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What I expected coming into this thread: Quiet, Ivy, Tales of Bersaria girl, the usual women in combat wearing things no women in combat have business wearing

What I'm seeing now: People criticizing Lara Craft and Makoto for not being playboy bunnies

laugh.gif

Gulz1992

med_x777.jpg

The Warcraft night elves are supposed to be Amazonian warrior women. So why is she wearing a fur bra and panties? She's got some sort of armor on her forearm and shoulder, but nothing whatsoever on her legs or torso? Wouldn't those chains and decorations slow her down, or make it harder for her to sneak up on people?

Nameless

Is this a worst outfit thread? Because there's more to a character's design than what they're wearing. If GG put Aloy in the Nora equivalent of a micro-bikini, while problematic, I don't think it automatically negates everything they got right. Ditto with Quiet. The issue is more the default costume and how the camera treats her.

Crossing Eden

Then I'm happy to be the complete opposite of these people.
Likewise.

Is this a worst outfit thread? Because there's more to a character's design than what they're wearing. If GG put Aloy in the Nora equivalent of a micro-bikini, while problematic, I don't think it automatically negates everything they got right. Ditto with Quiet. The issue is more the default costume and how the camera treats her.
The problem is that there is a major prevalence of designs where we're supposed to take them seriously while the male cast is either reasonably designed or designed and framed as a power fantasy for a perceived male audience, so the small female cast tends to stick out as stupid. Because the two aren't the same.

HotHamBoy

Oh man. I LOVE this design. I never played that Prince of Persia game, but that girl looks both super-hot and badass to me. I even like the short hair.
When it comes to female character designs that I dislike, there are many that I find very unattractive or plain boring, but Makoto from Street Fighter 3 is probably my best example. She has giant feet, nothing visibly feminine going for her and she looks too similar to the king of vanilla character design (Ryu).
I do concede her ball-punch Ultra attack in SF4 was pretty funny.

SF3_Makoto.gif

I really dislike Zarya from Overwatch too. I like her face and her gun, but her super-muscular body is something I'd rather not see.

Oh wow.

Wow, dude.

Here, I have something for you:

oly15529.michelle-brimage.jpg

Kinyou

I think it's pretty fucking insulting that one of the most important female characters in the game is reduced to ass shots and ogling for a good portion of their screen time. Not to mention incredibly shameful. How are we supposed to make the case for video games being for more than horny teenage boys if every female character is objectified to hell and back? Fan service is gross as fuck.
There can be place for both. The movie medium is somehow also considered to be for more than horny teenagers despite michael bay.

Khezu

New Lauras design isn't bad, but pretty boring though.

For some boring is probably a lot better then over sexualized, which I don't disagree with really, just would have preferred something better then what we got.

Toxi

Banned
Clothing is a pretty important part of a character design. Stuff like Han Solo's black vest or Obi-Wan Kenobi's brown robes are important, memorable parts of the characters' appearance.

SEICHUSEN GODANZUKI
colorswap.php

I knew Quiet would show up but I think it takes more than being in a bikini and torn pantyhose to be that bad. I mean, sure, Kojima's infantile defense of it made it a memorably lame design, but this is still the series with a sniper with a prominent part of her being exposed cleavage in arctic weather, and a whole game of PTSD supermodels that will groggily try to fondle you before their death throes -- including being able to put them in a pandery photo shoot.

L A R A
A
R
A

Laura Craft doesn’t exist.
no Lara design has ever been very good, old one isn’t great and the new one is really boring

My issue with Quiet is the reasoning behind her design. Just make her sexy for no reason if you want, I don’t want stupid even by MG standards
MGS is one of my favorite series of all time, and I’d follow Kojima anywhere
reasoning behind why you created a sexy character.

Also why do people only bring up the two girls from DC and not the guys with their giant unrealistic proportions? It’s just the games style, I think it’s cool because it’s different but I don’t really care for any of the designs sans the Elf

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So many already listed:

Quiet
Ivy
Anyone from Castlevania Judgment
Girl from Tales of Berseria
That pedobait from DoA Xtreme Volleyball (yeah yeah adult women can look younger, but they don't typically dress up like pre-pubescent girls, y'know...)
The abomination from PoP Warrior Within
Cya from Hyrule Warriors
The Great Fairy in Zelda
Cindy
etc.

But there are so many more. So I nominate the following

Code of Princess

Nowi from Fire Emblem

latest

Also, I find Bayonetta and 2B to be eye-gougingly bad too, but that's going to be an unpopular opinion around here...

composite2TR9.png

Bland, boring, generic, grey, uninspired, uncreative, unattractive, non-feminine, terrible.

LOL. Pathetic.

Crossing Eden

OP ask for worst female design and picks the best like wtf.
A character design that literally makes no logical sense isn't the best of anything besides being the best at showing how bad representation can be for women in this medium.

cabelhigh

Neo Member
There can be place for both. The movie medium is somehow also considered to be for more than horny teenagers despite michael bay.

Idk, I feel like video games are worse off because A) you can control the camera and thus become an active participant in ogling women, B) video game characters are 'constructed' and static, so their proportions can fall way more into fantasy than reality, and C) video games have a lot more to prove than movies, which are already established as 'art'. It's hard to make the 'games as art' argument when MGS V, one of the highest rated games of it's year, routinely treats its female characters like sex objects that should be ogled and fantasied about. Movies are bad too, of course, but because they're non-interactive deal with it in less overt ways.

Nameless

Clothing is a pretty important part of a character design.

colorswap.php

Didn't say it wasn't. But the fact that most people have no issues with the character outside of one costume is pretty telling. One of the worst designs in gaming would be bad wearing anything.

Toxi

Banned
Is Code of Princess supposed to be a parody? I can't imagine that being a serious design. If it is.... Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom