• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Female Character Design in Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

Let the haters hate, I loved Quiet. Only real character in MGS V, and I can't deny deriving great satisfaction from her appearance.

This, though, is an abomination.

Fire Emblem Awakening started the trend, but it got worse in Fates. The female armors are awful.

Camilla for example:

This is something worse than an abomination. FUCK Fates, man. Fuck that game.

Poppy

any character that wears future armor that for some inexplicable reason has high heels (didnt zero suit samus have some dumb shit like that?)

except raiden, of course

Don't shoot me, but what game is this from?

hyrule warriors

fhqwhgads

I do agree with OG Lara not being an entirely good design and marking a design for not being attractive or feminine is a load of bull, but I still stand by Reboot Lara being a sucky design. Probably not worst ever, but it's the female equivalent of "30 something bald white protag in AAA shooter game"

Surprised that we're 3 pages into the thread and nobody has posted that gif of a girl from a fighting game wearing an abomination of a costume that looks like an unicorn had puked rainbows all over her.

What game was that?? Anyone still has that gif???

The Tekken girl? She was a pop-idol fighter character. Likely people just got over it because there really wasn't anything offensive about her.

redcrayon

What is that sticking out between her breasts?
What I find odd about Camilla is that even her loincloth, despite being translucent anyway, is cut to make sure her panties are on show. It's like, 'we know it's see-through but let's just make sure!' :D

border

Sexy/revealing character designs are not inherently bad designs. And even if they were there's certainly worse examples than Quiet. Mostly that design just bothered me because they thought giving her ripped up fishnets would make her look more like a soldier, when she's basically just wearing a bikini.

Now, all that said......bat titties always creep me out.

latest

Toxi

Banned
So actually, while it's not a design I relate to, this doesn't seem terrible to me. There's some fashion and color-theory hidden in there, and it doesn't feel pandery or sexualized. The shorts are short, that seems to be the brunt of what I can interpret of the criticism?
I mean, short shorts exist and people wear them.

It's not like she's wearing some bizarre hoodie/cat/power cord combination with asymmetrical boots.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Farmel from Wild Arms IV.

A stocking suspender and daisy dukes do not belong together, even if you're going for the sexy secretary look in a Wild West setting. The duster that entirely misses the bottom half of the front and has a cleavage window is quite a thing as well. The random bits of plate armor are almost inoffensive in comparison.

Lime

Quiet without a question. You're completely right, OP.

I can't believe some people were defending the design.

Zackat

I do agree with OG Lara not being an entirely good design and marking a design for not being attractive or feminine is a load of bull, but I still stand by Reboot Lara being a sucky design. Probably not worst ever, but it's the female equivalent of "30 something bald white protag in AAA shooter game"

really? link me more female protags that look like reboot Lara. I wanna play those games

Why do people hate Lara Croft's reboot so much? I haven't played enough to refute the negativity, but I don't understand the massive hate for her design even if tonally her character is a little off. How the hell is she supposed to look? Large breasts with a cutoff shirt and short shorts and an overly strap-y holster for good measure? To be honest I think the design here already caters too much to a group of males given her frame and facial structure. They made her delicate and all that. She ought to be fairly masculine in terms of a lot of things if we're going to be reasonable and not cater to male fantasy. I don't want to be too negative but I honestly don't understand because the design is fine. Unremarkable overall but that doesn't make it reasonable for the worst list when you look at an abomination like Quiet.

Reboot Laras is hated by many because they killed the OG Lara for her, big tits/holsters whatever, she was a videogame icon (admittedly a long time ago by now but for a while she was more popular than Mario). You and others may not agree or understand the hate and even see her new design as an improvement, but that's where the hate comes from.

PK Gaming

Quiet takes it as one of the worst, easily. It wouldn't even be that bad if Kojima didn't try to justify her garbage design with some garbage nonsensical explanation (which didn't even end up coming true). I'm not even against overt sexiness either, since I loved Eva, but yeah Quiet's design was booty.

Altina is not that bad, millium is far worse imo.

How

Toxi

Banned
Farmel from Wild Arms IV.

A stocking suspender and daisy dukes do not belong together, even if you're going for the sexy secretary look in a Wild West setting. The duster that entirely misses the bottom half of the front and has a cleavage window is quite a thing as well. The random bits of plate armor are almost inoffensive in comparison.
I fucking hate the asymmetrical boots.

Mismatched sleeves, gloves, shoulder pads, and boots are the worst thing ever.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Bullshit. She looks like an athletic female.
Which is exactly the issue for some people.

Don't know why you're asking me.
Play the next Uncharted or something.
You realize that the next Uncharted is an outlier right? And that Chloe sans ponytail, looks nothing like Lara, and neither does Nadine.The only similarity is that both games feature women who're for a large part not at all sexualized and *gasp* actually look like women.

Velvet from Tales of Berseria has a very ugly and busy design and it makes me sad every day :((((

There's a reason why her outfit is in tatters - it's pieced together from scraps she found in prison, optimised for "ease of movement". Sure. Nothing says easy to move in like nine belts, no breast support and torn booty shorts. She's just fine as a character and many of her alt costumes look downright nice so it's a big darn shame.

DylanEno

Fire Emblem Awakening started the trend, but it got worse in Fates. The female armors are awful.

Camilla for example:

Ok I'm going to be a complete blasphemous heathen and play devils advocate here by trying to defend the oft criticized character design that is Camilla

I get it. Boobs. Panties. Sex sells. BUT. Look past her crotch and breasts and I think you might find something of value there.

Cool long flowing purple hair that matches well with her black and gold armor color scheme. Is that some kind of strap going across her breasts? I can't tell - this picture doesn't do a great job conveying wtf that is lol but I'm sure it uhh...serves some sort of function? Does she fasten her axe to it maybe? Or she has some sort of satchel? Idk but I guess it's kind of a neat design choice.

But let's get back to the fact that she has an AXE. Fuck yeah. That's cool af. And she's cool af. Hell, she rides a DRAGON. Sure, she's sexy, but that isn't inherently bad. She's using that sex appeal to her advantage, and that's just who she is. What's wrong with that? Ok well I mean sauntering into battle in her panties may not be the most practical choice but uhh... maybe it's strategic? Or comfortable? Strategically comfortable?? Maybe she's using some kind of black magic to protect her crotch from running against her demon wyvern's scales? Or maybe she just gets off to that sort of thing and that fuels her passion in battle???

Look ok this might not be going anywhere but my point is there are far worse character designs than poor Camilla. Just look at ivy or the castlevania judgment characters. Leave Camilla alone ;-;

Warrior Within Shadee

1642761-shahdee_pop_ww_06.jpg

I mean, yikes...

Oh man. I LOVE this design. I never played that Prince of Persia game, but that girl looks both super-hot and badass to me. I even like the short hair.
When it comes to female character designs that I dislike, there are many that I find very unattractive or plain boring, but Makoto from Street Fighter 3 is probably my best example. She has giant feet, nothing visibly feminine going for her and she looks too similar to the king of vanilla character design (Ryu).
I do concede her ball-punch Ultra attack in SF4 was pretty funny.

SF3_Makoto.gif

I really dislike Zarya from Overwatch too. I like her face and her gun, but her super-muscular body is something I'd rather not see.

Linkura

hyrule warriors

Thanks.

Surprised that we're 3 pages into the thread and nobody has posted that gif of a girl from a fighting game wearing an abomination of a costume that looks like an unicorn had puked rainbows all over her.

What game was that?? Anyone still has that gif???

Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7 maybe?

If not, it's still a shitty design, and I'm surprised no one's posted her yet.

I mean, short shorts exist and people wear them.

It's not like she's wearing some bizarre hoodie/cat/power cord combination with asymmetrical boots.

I feel like creeps have just ruined little girl characters for a lot of people. Sometimes you can't help but go "aw, she's ador-- wait, were they aiming for the creep audience with this?"

LotusHD

Banned
Velvet from Tales of Berseria has a very ugly and busy design and it makes me sad every day :((((

There's a reason why her outfit is in tatters - it's pieced together from scraps she found in prison, optimised for "ease of movement". Sure. Nothing says easy to move in like nine belts, no breast support and torn booty shorts. She's just fine as a character and many of her alt costumes look downright nice so it's a big darn shame.

Oh God this, Violet's design is atrocious.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Some people really resent character designs that appear human, convey intent through posturing, and react differently to changing circumstances over the course of a game.
Cringe post of the day. Just beat out that other guy who said New Lara wasn't feminine. Impressive.

Linkark07

Banned
I like her as a character and she's pretty good as a unit. But dammit that design is garbage.

I just reclass her to Wyvern Lord. Problem solved.

As for character... eh... Of all the royals, she is my least favorite. She basically only exists to have Corrin around her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom