• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Female Character Design in Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

I think there is a double standard going on when posters pick Quiet from Mgs5 as an example of bad character design. If anything, I would argue her design makes the most logical sense. Why isn't there more outrage when Raven from mgs1 was shirtless in a snow environment? That makes as much sense as wearing layers in a desert environment.

The faux outrage isn't entirely irrational, just very selective.

Because one was designed to look cool and intimidating and the other is a virtual sex doll lol. It's not that deep.

Sephzilla

It's Quiet, by a mile

composite2TR9.png

Bland, boring, generic, grey, uninspired, uncreative, unattractive, non-feminine, terrible.

for real?

Poppy

I think there is a double standard going on when posters pick Quiet from Mgs5 as an example of bad character design. If anything, I would argue her design makes the most logical sense. Why isn't there more outrage when Raven from mgs1 was shirtless in a snow environment? That makes as much sense as wearing layers in a desert environment.

did you actually play mgs v

because that shit was

SO DUMB

Tagyhag

Did anyone of Gaf believe this?

In Kojima we trust.

I've enjoyed his games and his plots and the contexts he provides for his characters for the past 15 years, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Already ashamed, and I didn't even say anything. How anyone can distrust Kojima at this point is beyond me.
Good to hear. I never saw any issues with the character, as context is everything (which we have almost none of).

So I'm very much looking forward to seeing what her story is
You people will be proven wrong.
I hope it'll just be a big red banner telling journalists to fuck off from their self-righteous preliminary judging of character designs and that they'll listen to it.
Of course it isn't offensive. Because I'm not a 16 year old virgin. And because I'm not looking to troll. I guess it has people talking about MGSV more now, so... eh it's a win win.
We know why .. she has skin camo abilities. some people just want to ignore that because of some cause.

That was just the first page, but at least, most of the people there were skeptical.

Also

Its going to be some Kojima anime bullshit like "she has to be naked because if she doesnt absorb X amount of sunlight she will DIE" isnt it? That wouldnt make it better.

Based funkystudent

composite2TR9.png

Bland, boring, generic, grey, uninspired, uncreative, unattractive, non-feminine, terrible.

What does that even mean?

DylanEno

I appreciate what you're going for here given what the game is trying to cater to, but there are actually older women who look young and younger women who look older. If you're going to criticize Japan sexualizing a young-looking character design, I'd say something like Fire Emblem's Nowi is a safer bet.

Why the fuck is this in a Castlevania game
It really isn't tbh

1upsuper

Castlevania Judgment is truly something. It's amazing how the character artist managed to shit on all those beloved Castlevania characters equally but in completely different ways. It's a sight to behold.

I get the hate for Kaine's design. I really do. But I think she's probably just about the best you can do with the tired and flawed "regret your words and deeds" setup. There are problems not the least of which being the fact that you can argue the design came first and the justification second, but the justification is a cut above Quiet's at least.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

It's almost like the bad character design was the least of the character's problem and that even if you accept that lore reason, the person she's presented as would literally have no reason to be wearing a bikini top, a thong, or ripped leggings, or asymmetrical gloves, and it's a wonder how she came across those in Afghanistan in the first place. And that framing matter in the context of a narrative.

aliengmr

Quiet. It's something that went beyond visual design.

I don't know what the intent was, but on every level it was horrible. She is basically there to shake her ass in front of you and keep her mouth shut. And if that weren't bad enough her treatment from the other characters was horrible.

I wouldn't say that I am hyper sensitive to the portrayal of women in games, but the portrayal of Quiet was misogynistic and offensive. I don't use those terms lightly and I honestly can't think of another character that I would say that about.

Ballthyrm

JRPG the thread. A lot of western devs have been making a lot of efforts this past decades but Japan couldn't give 2 fucks.

Instro

Apparently a few people were really tied to Lara's old design...lol

On the OP, all 3 of Retro's attempts at Samus we're pretty bad.

Probity

Why do people hate Lara Croft's reboot so much? I haven't played enough to refute the negativity, but I don't understand the massive hate for her design even if tonally her character is a little off. How the hell is she supposed to look? Large breasts with a cutoff shirt and short shorts and an overly strap-y holster for good measure? To be honest I think the design here already caters too much to a group of males given her frame and facial structure. They made her delicate and all that. She ought to be fairly masculine in terms of a lot of things if we're going to be reasonable and not cater to male fantasy. I don't want to be too negative but I honestly don't understand because the design is fine. Unremarkable overall but that doesn't make it reasonable for the worst list when you look at an abomination like Quiet.

kromeo

I appreciate what you're going for here given what the game is trying to cater to, but there are actually older women who look young and younger women who look older. If you're going to criticize Japan sexualizing a young-looking character design, I'd say something like Fire Emblem's Nowi is a safer bet.

You could say blame the audience rather than the creators but I think it's no coincidence that by far the two most popular characters in the series happen to be the two that look 14

Loz246789

kaine.png

'but muh backstory'
To be fair to Kaine, I think she has about the best possible excuse you could have for this *kind* of design, with the outfit ultimately being the character's choice and also some interesting reasoning behind it, but even if you accept the fact that she's going for risque with a side of bandages, it's still not an amazing design to begin with. Not terrible, but you need a bayonetta level design to sell this sort of thing.

On topic anyway, I nominate Jessica from Dragon Quest 8. I actually like a lot of her design, but then she RUINS everything by running out of material at her boobs. It's loosely justified by her "sex appeal" skill point tree, and it's definitely lampshaded in game, but even so it feels completely at odds with everything else about her. Girl who
wants to get revenge for her dead brother
, badass mage, long flowing dress that projects an air of maturity...
Giant boobs.
260px-Jessica_Albert.png

EDIT: Ok I will fite anyone irl who badmouths Millium from Trails of Cold Steel. Her design is fine.
...It's Fie's design from Cold Steel 2 you should be badmouthing. I don't know why she wears what little she does in a game with a clear winter theme in many of its designs.

Still a better backstory than Quiet's. If anyone is interested (Nier spoilers):
She's a hermaphrodite, and everyone hated here in the village where she grew up because she was different, and she dresses like that to hide her insecurities.

Both that and
a Shade has taken over most of her body so she exposes the parts that are still hers while bandaging up the Shade portions as a "fuck you this is still my body" to the Shade

You probably dont wanna wear a bikini in a desert environment unless you really love skin cancer.

Whompa02

Namco thread: the thread

Also Vanillaware's female design sensibilities are outrageous.

People saying Quiet are overly dramatic compared to the above.

Gestault

Altina is not that bad, millium is far worse imo.

So actually, while it's not a design I relate to, this doesn't seem terrible to me. There's some fashion and color-theory hidden in there, and it doesn't feel pandery or sexualized. The shorts are short, that seems to be the brunt of what I can interpret of the criticism?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I cannot believe the amount of Lara Croft in here. wack as hell
It's basically shitposting in order to "get back" at how shit this medium can be when it comes to representation. When all it does is prove the exact point of the posts pointing to actual bad character designs while simultaneously exposing how some users can be incredibly sexist, a woman wearing a tank top and pants is deemed "non-feminine" ITT. Like what?

Opa-Pa

Apparently a few people were really tied to Lara's old design...lol

On the OP, all 3 of Retro's attempts at Samus we're pretty bad.

Extremely ironic considering OG Lara was most definitely designed to appeal to horny boys and the reboot one looks like a regular human being lol. I don't care if she's iconic by now, OG Lara sucks.

Linkark07

Banned
It's mostly reserved for the Nohrians though. Birthright has some really nice female character designs.
Yeah. Hinoka and Oboro have some awesome designs.

On Nohr side, the only ones I believe have good designs, regardless of promotion in their main class, are Elise, Selena and Beruka.

Iksenpets

Banned
I cannot believe the amount of Lara Croft in here. wack as hell

I'm less shocked by people not liking current Lara, and more shocked by the amount of mourning for OG Lara. People were sad to lose that?

You probably dont wanna wear a bikini in a desert environment unless you really love skin cancer.

Also being a sniper involves a lot of laying prone on hot sand. Not exactly comfortable.

Really though it's the tattered leggings that bother me more than the bikini top. Just why?

CDiggity

The worst female character design is clearly Ms. Pac Man

latest

Not only a lazy derivative of an already existing male character, but the design does not make sense. I mean, lavender eyeshadow with orange gloves that don't even match the red bow and boots? Such as fashion disaster.

cakely

I think Ivy is probably the worst offender. There's nothing to her but fan service.

I honestly don't want to know what your definition of "feminine" is, but I'm guessing it involves lipstick and push-up bras.

Surprised that we're 3 pages into the thread and nobody has posted that gif of a girl from a fighting game wearing an abomination of a costume that looks like an unicorn had puked rainbows all over her.

What game was that?? Anyone still has that gif???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom