• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

DNAbro

Blue Flag/Ao no Flag Chapters 1-6

I never post here but I probably should considering I want to talk about Shonen jump stuff. Main reason though I am posting is because I am absolutely dying to talk about this manga. I looked back quite a bit at some of the posts and didn't see anyone talking about it. I haven't fell in love with a manga this quickly in quite a long time. I saw someone recommend it on Twitter and decided to just read it cause their aren't many translated chapters yet. I'm going to try and tell you why you should probably read it if you aren't. Sorry for the image spam in advance.

It's a drama/romance/comedy mostly centered around 3 characters.
0ELi4M4.jpg

Guy on the left (Taichi) is kind of a nerd, guy on the right(Touma) is a jock and popular, and girl in the middle(Futaba) is kind of a klutz. Simply Futaba likes Touma, Taichi is sort of close friends with Touma, Futaba asks the Taichi for help in getting to go out with Touma.

But

and decides to help her anyways. All 3 of them are really likable and fun.

It's got fun art and it's funny

It's got overprotective best friends who could probably beat you up and angst, the things all the kids these days love

At this point you are probably thinking "oh this sounds okay but nothing special" and I can see why you would say that. I was enjoying it up to this point of a basic and standard love triangle but then

Oh shit this went in a direction. Jock is in love with his best friend. There were hints in the first few chapters but it still kind of blindsided me. How fucking nice is it to have one of the lead characters to be gay in something that isn't a BL manga. In this case it doesn't seem like a "oh I'm not gay I only love MC" way either which is highly appreciated. This could obviously go south in a lot of ways but the quality so far has been incredibly high. It's still pretty early on but oh man do I want more chapters ASAP. I believe it's only 14 chapters in. Like I can wait every week for stuff like HxH, OP, and MHA but it kills me that their are currently untranslated chapters for this and the scanlators doing it are on a weekly schedule with it releasing on Friday. At least it's consistent so far.

So I hoped I convinced you to also read this with me.

One more cute pic for the road

DNAbro

i'm kinda sad that in selling in your kinda removed the thing that surprised you about it

I was debating on whether or not to post that "twist" but I felt like it might entice more people to pick it up to see where it's going. It also just makes it more obvious to see the hints dropped. I looked back at some discussions people had of it on reddit and some guessed it by the first chapter, I may have just been a bit oblivious.

Ascheroth

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed 01-03

New manga by Kazuhiro Fujita, of Ushia and Tora, and Karakuri Circus fame. It's a ...modern action/horror story about a cursed mansion and people trying to destroy it.
And it's totally insane (in the best way).
I don't even know how I'd best describe it, so I'll just leave some images here.

I was debating on whether or not to post that "twist" but I felt like it might entice more people to pick it up to see where it's going. It also just makes it more obvious to see the hints dropped. I looked back at some discussions people had of it on reddit and some guessed it by the first chapter, I may have just been a bit oblivious.

You certainly sold me on it, so thanks!

RhdgNbG.png

Why is there somebody from Danganronpa.

Taruranto

Ao no Flag

This is my new Nanashi no Asterism. Interesting read at least, even if the end-game conclusion is pretty obviously. I doubt
Touma and Futaba's feelings could go somewhere like always unless more characters are introduced, it's always good to see non-stereotyped, serious gay characters in manga.

Edit: Oh shit ninja'd lol. I swear I didn't even check the last page, someone recommended it to me yesterday.

Lain

New manga by Kazuhiro Fujita, of Ushia and Tora, and Karakuri Circus fame. It's a ...modern action/horror story about a cursed mansion and people trying to destroy it.
And it's totally insane (in the best way).
I don't even know how I'd best describe it, so I'll just leave some images here.

I only read your bolded title and looked at the pictures and said man, that has to be Fujita. Then I read the rest of your post and man, it was Fujita. I hope it gets licensed in Italy, with Moonlight Act getting close to the end.

Ascheroth

I only read your bolded title and looked at the pictures and said man, that has to be Fujita. Then I read the rest of your post and man, it was Fujita. I hope it gets licensed in Italy, with Moonlight Act getting close to the end.
Yeah, his style is very distinct.

Zweizer

Banned
Bloom Into You vol.4 Extras

Oh, if only they knew.

One Punch-Man ch78

Guess these ninja guys follow the same type of naming scheme. Sonic got a bit too careful, lol.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch48

She shouldn't be too much trouble.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch103

What a huge power-up, though I wonder if he'll actually kill all these guys. Probably not.

White Knight & Black Knight (SFW short)

Do you think that yuri can bloom, even on a battlefield? It's just
a flesh wound
another 4 page Mochi special with less impact than Homura's golf swings, but it's still worth the 23 seconds it took to read.

wamberz1

Naw, you did good. I read the first chapter and would have dropped it if I didn't know about that twist. That certainly makes things a whole lot more interesting.

Now lets hope that subject matter is handled with a bit more delicacy than a certain other series.

upandaway

Kaguya 40

I forgot that in Japan the first semester is the spring one so summer vacation is in the middle of the year. That's so weird. It's a bit depressing that they've gotta study in the middle of it, oh well.

Ishigami rocked this chapter so hard, so amazing. Ever since Kaguya got sick her reactions to things have gotten really adorable. Hang in there.

Taruranto

Altair #16 or something

This is still kinda rough, but it's slowly getting better. I like how the author is showing how Mahmut is actually very inexperienced and far too idealist, tearing down the "good pasha" image she created in the first chapters.

Speaking of those, those were really super rough and honestly I would call the first chapter straight up bad. I can see why the anime had problems adapting them.

Awesome cp
DFc3T8kXkAQDHx3.jpg:small

Spooky.

Usagi Drop(Volume 1)

It kinda feels like this covers almost the entire anime. Because I only remember two things that hasn't happened yet. I really want to finish this so I can get to one of the most infamous worst manga endings ever.

God of High School

Finally the old guard is coming back. Next week should be hype. Hope they keep the action more low profile and hold back on the super saiyin shit.

What a great scene.

v18Yz3V.jpg

orochi91

Usagi Drop(Volume 1)

It kinda feels like this covers almost the entire anime. Because I only remember two things that hasn't happened yet. I really want to finish this so I can get to one of the most infamous worst manga endings ever.

I thought the ending was pretty good.

It was the most obvious conclusion possible, given Rin's personality during the time-skips and her perspective on family after
reuniting with her mother.

The conclusion felt "right", to be honest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chase17

Shudan! 4-6

I'm liking this series a lot. Refreshing to see this Kamoshida guy constantly told off. Makes for a good early run rival though. Comedy has been good too, Arika's faces after meeting Kamoshida are perfect.

Wonder what the deal with Roku is. Seems like they are hinting at some personal life problem but I'm not sure what.

Long run I'm not sure where the series is going, but I'm pretty content with the low stakes "team reach full potential" thing going on now.

I thought the ending was pretty good.

It was the most obvious conclusion possible, given Rin's personality during the time-skips and her perspective on family after
reuniting with her mother.

The conclusion felt "right", to be honest.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
We'll see.

Usobuko

Banned
I look past Blue Flag/Ao no Flag after 3 chapters or so because while it has some good moments, I thought it is the same cookie-cutter story that shounen romance embrace.

Looks like I'm wrong in my judgment.

Usagi Drop(Volume 1)

Or you could not and still think of the series as something good, if you watched the anime.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ReLIFE

I'm going to absolutely lose my shit over anything that isn't a Hishiron x Arata ending, presumably with babies. Don't fuck with me author.

barber

Onepunch Man 125
I guess cooking destroys the monster cells. Otherwise a pretty calm chapter, some inner thoughs for Sonice
Tsuyokute New Saga 42
That is a nice way to end a hard fight haha

edit: beastars Latest
Legosi about to cockblock himself... AGAIN

Numb

God of High School

Finally the old guard is coming back. Next week should be hype. Hope they keep the action more low profile and hold back on the super saiyin shit.

What a great scene.

v18Yz3V.jpg

God of highschool is the dumbest shit
It literally started with some dude palming an entire island and led to another kicking10% of Korea land mass off the map. With a kick.
Or was that when Goku's staff came from the moon where it was trapping buddhas's head and fell on Korea causing tsunamis and murdering innocents?

That's nothing tho. When they replaced the main character and left him in the monkey dimension was my limit. Although it was a clone of the main character that replaced him and we started to follow that clone i just couldn't hang. And their personalities were super different to the point it even became a goddamn plot line. This means that all the other clones he makes could be the same.

It's still pretty sick tho

giphy.gif

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch259

Everything's gonna crash down (again).

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch35

Another great addition to the cast. I'd almost argue that their group is more interesting, but they definitely should get more screentime, just to see how this love triangle goes.

Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan ch18

Seems like a pretty easy recipe. Sachi didn't even do anything this time, lol.

Miss Sunflower ch35

Writing a story is never as easy as it seems. Shame, they had a good story concept to start with, even if cliche.

Tokyo DTED ch22

Swimsuit distributing the burns.

Shuudan 4 - 6
DFgZ9_GXsAQfYhF.jpg:small

Kamoshida was a great inclusion for character personalities, and clearly has room to grow and improve. He just wants attention to and to be loved by his schoolmates and have some friends. Though I dont think he's as bad as people in the manga say as he didnt actually touch and grab Nanase to help her up (so I think they have the wrong idea if they do think he did cause her to trip and fall).

Otherwise, heres hoping NIshimisono loses (also was surprised the rest of the team seems like nice guys while Kamoshida is the one giving them a bad reputation).

Top Bottom