• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

How in the **** where SEGA not able to get Sonic Mania running correctly on PC its basically a megadrive game @~@

Doubt its strictly performance-related. Probably just a big bug or something and they want to make sure they have time to fix it.

Delaying a game to make sure it runs well is fine and is certainly better than putting something out there and getting bad press and a slew of negative Steam reviews. What's not fine is hosting an unprofessional stream 3 days before launch, telling people it's delayed 2 weeks then unboxing a collector's edition of the game to an audience full of people who won't be able to get it when originally promised.

Amzin

Lawbreakers is OK but I really only felt "fun" on one of the six characters which is not a great ratio. Certainly not enough to dump $30 and time into :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Daily is NMS (not surprisingly I guess), same 60% as Humble but you get the extra 10% there from the monthly sub.

New SakuraGame. You can get Dragon Knight for free if you buy that and let it idle for a few hours, then visit some website:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/680320/The_Heiress/

Its, of course, another hentai-game with all the NSFW content cut. The strange thing is, that, even though its a japanese game, the game is only available on Steam in English and Chinese, at least according to the storepage.

New SakuraGame. You can get Dragon Knight for free if you buy that and let it idle for a few hours, then visit some website:

header.jpg

Its, of course, another hentai-game with all the NSFW content cut. The strange thing is, that, even though its a japanese game, the game is only available on Steam in English and Chinese, at least according to the storepage.

That reminds me... I have Sakura Dungeon on my wishlist.

I know it's a hentai game, but it's also a dungeon crawler and it looks fun. Anyone played it?

Mivey

What was emergent about Mankind Divided? It was even worse on that front than Human Revolution was
I mean that most abilities are multi-use and that's even more powerful in combination. Just one example of the top of my head: the Icarus dash. You can use to be "teleport" into a forbidden area, without anyone noticing since the game treats your traversal as immediate. No one explained this to me, there is no Zelda-style (pre-BOTW that is) tutorial level that hammers this home for two hours and each time later give you a huge clue that you should use this. I found out by thinking about it and just going for it.

It's okay if these little things don't matter to you as much as more story and cutscenes where Jensen saves the world from some conspiracy or somesuch (and that's all the plot Deux Ex, in all its iteration has ever had, it never explores consequences of your choices and of course it doesn't because that would require too much divergence in the writing) but to me this is the bread and butter of Deux Ex.

Grief.exe

Fucking lazy devs and corrupt publishers release a broken game

Trashy Sega delayed the PC port

Which one is it GAF?

I've advocated time and again for publishers to delay ports they aren't fully confident in. Pay out the overtime and take a couple extra weeks to insure that the game launches smoothly. A game only gets one chance at a first impression.

Which one is it GAF?

I've advocated time and again for publishers to delay ports they aren't fully confident in. Pay out the overtime and take a couple extra weeks to insure that the game launches smoothly. A game only gets one chance at a first impression.
Agreed on the delaying ports part, release it when it's done.

I think part of the issue is expectations were raised for what the stream would be about and both sides are at fault. Nothing positive was promised so hopes didn't need to get raised, but also why would you mention a stream for an "important announcement" that is not good news? Do a press release and move on. Part of being a successful company is understanding your market and tailoring expectations accordingly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
See also: Sky, No Man's.

see also, Street Fighter 5

and, unfortunately, MvC Infinite most likely from where its heading.

I was actually just talking about this, its... its an interesting conundrum to say the least.

Which one is it GAF?

There's also a third option: Release the game at the same time as other platforms. I mean, it's a Megadrive level game. The only reason they delayed it is they didn't put as much attention as other platforms.

If one has money in their Steam wallet, and buys a game with that + Paypal, will the paypal portion be returned to the paypal account or the steam wallet in the case of a refund?

Tizoc

There's also a third option: Release the game at the same time as other platforms. I mean, it's a Megadrive level game. The only reason they delayed it is they didn't put as much attention as other platforms.

The game looks more than the MD could handle.
Sonic and co. have way more animation frames to their sprites compared to say Sonic 3.

Erekiddo

If one has money in their Steam wallet, and buys a game with that + Paypal, will the paypal portion be returned to the paypal account or the steam wallet in the case of a refund?

I just had this scenario happen. Back into wallet for me.

I think you would be given a choice.

It did give me a choice, but even when clicking Paypal the final confirmation said "goes back into your wallet". I wasn't too bothered cause I'll spend it anyways.

Grief.exe

That's an oversimplification. There's no correlation with your perceived age of the game and the actual complexity. QA likely found a game breaking bug during the optimization process.

Important to keep in mind that Sega is motivated to avoid this situation. They now miss out on their marketing push and likely lose revenue.

Nabs

Sorry to all the Sonic fans who were excited to play Mania in a few days. You got hit with the classic 2 week delay.

jtb

Banned
I mean that most abilities are multi-use and that's even more powerful in combination. Just one example of the top of my head: the Icarus dash. You can use to be "teleport" into a forbidden area, without anyone noticing since the game treats your traversal as immediate. No one explained this to me, there is no Zelda-style (pre-BOTW that is) tutorial level that hammers this home for two hours and each time later give you a huge clue that you should use this. I found out by thinking about it and just going for it.

It's okay if these little things don't matter to you as much as more story and cutscenes where Jensen saves the world from some conspiracy or somesuch (and that's all the plot Deux Ex, in all its iteration has ever had, it never explores consequences of your choices and of course it doesn't because that would require too much divergence in the writing) but to me this is the bread and butter of Deux Ex.

Deus Ex didn't explore choice and consequence? Is this a fucking joke? No game has ever integrated its storytelling - and your interaction with it - into its core gameplay better than Deus Ex has, full stop. If Deus Ex doesn't pass the bar of open game design, then no game does.

Am I supposed to be impressed by the ability to chain powers together or something?

Also I'd love to ignore MD's godawful story if it didn't keep shoving an insulting, borderline racist APARTHEID metaphor in my face.

KainXVIII

header.jpg

Something wrong with tiddies on this screenshot 🤔

Tizoc

abxnh9y9cnjbvtcn6gto.gif

If it weren't for my backlog I MIGHT've gotten Agents of Mayhem but as is I'm gonna have to wait I'm afraid.

Which one is it GAF?

I never understand the rages over devs delaying video games. People just have nothing to play it seems.

Assassin's Creed Origins is looking good :D

My most anticipated game for the rest of the year.

Parsnip

header.jpg

I wonder why there are video player controls in some of the screenshots.

Oh, they just capped the screens from the trailer and accidentally had the controls visible didn't they?

FLD

I never understand the rages over devs delaying video games. People just have nothing to play it seems.

Yeah, neither do I. I've yet to see a delay result in a worse game, so I really don't get the hissy fits. Delays suck but I'd rather wait longer than end up with a broken or inferior game.

The game looks more than the MD could handle.
Sonic and co. have way more animation frames to their sprites compared to say Sonic 3.

Technically, it is SEGA Saturn. But still.

That's an oversimplification. There's no correlation with your perceived age of the game and the actual complexity. QA likely found a game breaking bug during the optimization process.

Important to keep in mind that Sega is motivated to avoid this situation. They now miss out on their marketing push and likely lose revenue.

Thing is, how did it happen in one version ? You want my opinion ? Either it's true because they just gave no shit about the PC version... or they delayed it for DRM/piracy sales reason.

Mivey

Deus Ex didn't explore choice and consequence? Is this a fucking joke? No game has ever integrated its storytelling - and your interaction with it - into its core gameplay better than Deus Ex has, full stop. If Deus Ex doesn't pass the bar of open game design, then no game does.
No, no, you misunderstood me. I meant that it's C&C was perfect in the moment to moment gameplay, but weak in the larger (meaning having a long term effect) story stuff. The three final choices in Deus Ex 1 are huge, but it leaves very much open and in IW it feels like whatever you did in the first just meshes together. They are doing this in MD again. And it doesn't bother me as much, because, as I wanted to say, I mostly care about the moment to moment gameplay choices.

I don't know what bothered you about the treatment of Augs, honestly? It's well explained why people are fearful of them. This is made worse, since before the incident the Czech republic invested heavily in getting augment workers from all over the world for all kinds of building projects and then pretty much tried to push them all out after the incident. The marketing was too heavy handed, terms like "mechanical apartheid" are useful for the writers, but it makes no sense to flaunt it outside of the writers room. Still, nothing in the game that offends me.
I guess if you didn't want to hear anything about this big incident 2 years ago that killed hundreds of millions of people all over the world and is clearly the starting point of whatever story they wanted to tell, well, sure you are going to hate it, but that's more on you, then it is on Montreal.

Arthea

so I have this bug too, somebody already mentioned before in the steam thread, I can't see a comment (on a bought game, I suppose), because steam shows all games I bought like in half a yeah together (and no comments to them, although some have), if I click on that unread comment.
Any remedy for that yet?

Platy

Can't wait to play it

I noticed that the elevator numbers stands for each of the games in the classic series
FxzKfgj.png

But 4 isn't there, does it mean it's not part of the classic series?

CD is also not there and it is a good sonic game

It means that someone really wanted it to spell 123 Km
/h

Rhaknar

huh. Really enjoyed my first hour with NMS so (got off the first planet basically), at least so far, not wasted money lol.

it pretty much nails the survival / exploration aspect that I was always curious with these types of games, at least from what I expect of them I guess. Cool stuff.

Runs like shit tho.

edit: it also has a clear sense of direction, like a single player game, im not sure if that was something added throughout the updates or what, but im following the quests and it feels like a "normal" game, which is nice.

jtb

Banned
No, no, you misunderstood me. I meant that it's C&C was perfect in the moment to moment gameplay, but weak in the larger (meaning having a long term effect) story stuff. The three final choices in Deus Ex 1 are huge, but it leaves very much open and in IW it feels like whatever you did in the first just meshes together. They are doing this in MD again. And it doesn't bother me as much, because, as I wanted to say, I mostly care about the moment to moment gameplay choices.

I don't know what bothered you about the treatment of Augs, honestly? It's well explained why people are fearful of them. This is made worse, since before the incident the Czech republic invested heavily in getting augment workers from all over the world for all kinds of building projects and then pretty much tried to push them all out after the incident. The marketing was too heavy handed, terms like "mechanical apartheid" are useful for the writers, but it makes no sense to flaunt it outside of the writers room. Still, nothing in the game that offends me.
I guess if you didn't want to hear anything about this big incident 2 years ago that killed hundreds of millions of people all over the world and is clearly the starting point of whatever story they wanted to tell, well, sure you are going to hate it, but that's more on you, then it is on Montreal.

It's a hugely flawed metaphor for race or hatred in society. The question the game is premised on is: would the Holocaust (or any apartheid-type progrom) have been justified if Jews had actually killed millions of people and/or lead to the demise of Germany in WW1?

It's a "Are you still beating your wife" type premise - you're already presupposing that the fear of minorities is justified, it's now just a question of whether the outright oppression is.

So, either you take it as an analogue for race in society, essentially arguing that every brown or black person in the world is "asking for it" by looking physically imposing and "dangerous" (I think we've heard this story before.), or it's a fantasy conceit that is noxious and appeals to the alt-right's deepest beliefs for no apparent reason. Unfortunately for the game developers, they can't just backtrack away from the real life metaphor, because that very language is the language that is used to justify things like police shootings in America! So in attempting to empathize with the fear that white people have of minorities through this sci-fi metaphor, you unintentionally justify it instead.

It's a fucking mess. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Plus, the actual execution of it in game was laughably bad. Checkpoints? Really? That's the best you could do? The game is half City 17, half generic dude-bro military, 100% hackneyed cliche.

Jadax

NMS is fun now. It was very different at launch. Irregardless, it still hasn't reached the hype levels it had generated.

C4rter

Just won a SS2 key on the Nightdive Facebook page. I already own it so have at it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

System Shock 2 -- MB-637D272FC9080CBF - Taken by famfrit

Grief.exe

huh. Really enjoyed my first hour with NMS so (got off the first planet basically), at least so far, not wasted money lol.

it pretty much nails the survival / exploration aspect that I was always curious with these types of games, at least from what I expect of them I guess. Cool stuff.

Runs like shit tho.

edit: it also has a clear sense of direction, like a single player game, im not sure if that was something added throughout the updates or what, but im following the quests and it feels like a "normal" game, which is nice.

The patch notes said that they added 30 hours of narrative, I haven't played but my guess is that's new.

Rhaknar

The patch notes said that they added 30 hours of narrative, I haven't played but my guess is that's new.

its not so much narrative (yet) more of a direction, which one always fears (well I do) that these games lack.

Tizoc

Decided to try out the 2 mods for Sonic 1 that inject Spindash into the game, however 1 of them uses a pretty weak spin up animation making the mod seem like one from a very early attempt at its inclusion.

The other mod is a complete rehaul of sorts that alters hazards and stage enemies somewhat (Sonic 1 plus).
I searched online and found a few mods that inject a proper animated spindash which I'm gonna test out and try to put up on the Workshop for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom