• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

DonMigs85

sifu said:
You can try to reflow your old PS3. Maybe it will work again so you can transfer everything.
Except the locked savegames, they won't work on the new one
They will if he uses the Data Transfer utility.

My launch Ps3 20gb seriously didn't like Assassin's creed:

It started with a hard lock on Assassin's creed 2... Really wierd.

That was a month ago. Was able to finish COD:B Ops.

Installed Assassin's creed BrotherHood, was trying to get some poontang in Ezio's villa.... Blamo Console Crashes. Re-Start, YLOD.

Called a repair store. The Thermal paste/heat gun fix is not a permanent fix apparently, so that frustrates me. Thought the 20gb wasn't plagued by the same problems the other models had.

Sony wants to charge me 187$ CAN, for a fix. I took care of this thing and it broke. It happened at the worst time: I just bought a wii... I can't take it back now since I opened it.(EB would probably give me like 1/3 of the retail price).

I think I should go for a slim. Heat gun the 20gb so it can work for a couple of minutes,back up my stuff to my ipod. Will the back up tool transfer my PSN games on my ipod?

Hellion

V_Ben said:
As per liquidmetal's instructions, i've posted this here too. Original Message follows;

She's dead, Jim.

Rented Black Ops, stuck it in the system. And, just as I was about to start the first mission, the system turns off (just as the first cut scene ended). I thought that this was a bit weird, and tried turning it on again. Alas, it was not to be. Light went green, flashed yellow for a second, and then started flashing red continuously. So, I'm understandably a bit concerned. I rented the game for 5 nights, so I'm going to have to go to the Blockbuster I rented it from, and explain the situation to them. Dunno how they'll react to it, but I'm hoping favourably.

Does anybody from GAF have any ideas as to any steps I could take (that won't void the warranty), in order to get the Disc back, just in case? This is pretty annoying, I'm not gonna lie. And so close to holidays too. Was looking forward to some quality time with GT5 too.

Gah.
Hellion said:
Yes, Madden 11. I held Eject and Power buttons till it kicked the disk out.

Sony is charging me $170 for the repair on old models :(

nny

The Bluray drive on my 60Gb is kicking the bucket...:\ All the hard disk stuff works fine, so it's like I just got a PS3 Go, download only. Since the warranty is long gone (got it 3 years ago), maybe I'll try to change the drive myself.

Oh well.

_RT_

oh for the love.
Shipping notification from Amazon for GT5 and now my ps3 shuts down every few minutes. Seems like it may be overheating.

Going to try to vacuum out any dust buildup. Any other suggestions?

Launch day 60-gig FWIW.

offshore

nny said:
The Bluray drive on my 60Gb is kicking the bucket...:\ All the hard disk stuff works fine, so it's like I just got a PS3 Go, download only. Since the warranty is long gone (got it 3 years ago), maybe I'll try to change the drive myself.

Oh well.
Same thing just happened to me right now...a freaking day after I get GT5 as well.

Anyone in the UK...how the hell do you arrange a repair/replacement or something with SCEE, I can't see anything on the website :\

TechSamurai

Neo Member
I reflowed 5 times successfully. The fifth time was just so I could do the data transfer to a new PS3. (Which thankfully went smoothly.)

It is a big relief not to have to worry about that stupid flashing light anymore, I feel for all of you with this issue. What a nightmare.

My brother bought a new HDTV today and got a used 60GB PS3 from someone and I went over to help him hook everything up.

The PS3 was working fine, but I told him that I should format it to get rid of the all of the original owners profiles and other crap, so I did that and it said formatting needs to restart push x to continue blah blah and after that the system would not turn back on, it just goes green for a second a lighter shade of green and beeps 3 times then flashes red.

I thought it might be a HDD problem so I took it home and tried my PS3 HDD in his system and it still will not work, but his HDD and mine both work fine in my PS3.

Now I feel responsible for breaking his PS3, is there any way that Sony would replace it without having to pay them $150 if its no longer under warranty? Also if I try the reflow crap and it doesn't work would I still be able to send it off to Sony and pay to get it repaired if it came to that or would they tell me that they cant do anything since its been opened?

It seems like a weird coincidence that the GPU/CPU would have solder or whatever the fuck problems at the exact same time that I decide to format it

I'm having a weird problem that I haven't seen anyone come across before (I'm sure they have, but I must have missed it)

I have a 320GB slim, and when I was playing a game tonight it just shut off. No warning or anything. Not only did it shut off, but no lights were being displayed either.

I pressed the power button and the red light turned on, so I pressed it again and it started normally. I thought it was just an isolated incident, so I left it for 30 minutes and came back and the second I start playing a game it does the same thing.

Is it just overheating, or am I screwed?

For the record,it is in a cabinet but has some space.

canadian crowe said:
I pressed the power button and the red light turned on, so I pressed it again and it started normally. I thought it was just an isolated incident, so I left it for 30 minutes and came back and the second I start playing a game it does the same thing.

I think its the lens.
Mine is by turning it on. Red light flashes and keeps flashing, I press it again and it starts.

SixStringPsycho said:
I think its the lens.
Mine is by turning it on. Red light flashes and keeps flashing, I press it again and it starts.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. It's literally 6 weeks old.

Any way to fix it, or just ride out the storm until it's dead?

canadian crowe said:
Hmm, that doesn't sound good. It's literally 6 weeks old.

Any way to fix it, or just ride out the storm until it's dead?
Does it shuts off if youre in the XMB or only when you start the game? If you can navigate the XMB its not dead. It can be fixed by replacing the lens. The system will still boot up and load the XMB. So its good for netflix or demos, or whatever the hell is in the PS store.

Still if its 6 weeks old, it has a warranty with sony. Give em a call.

SixStringPsycho said:
Does it shuts off if youre in the XMB or only when you start the game? If you can navigate the XMB its not dead. It can be fixed by replacing the lens. The system will still boot up and load the XMB. So its good for netflix or demos, or whatever the hell is in the PS store.

Yeah it works with the XBM.

It looks like I'm going to have to send it to Sony, and hope that my warranty covers it. I knew I should have bought EB's warranty.

TechSamurai said:
I reflowed 5 times successfully. The fifth time was just so I could do the data transfer to a new PS3. (Which thankfully went smoothly.)

It is a big relief not to have to worry about that stupid flashing light anymore, I feel for all of you with this issue. What a nightmare.

How long did the reflow work for usually. I plan on getting a new one but I want to do a data transfer. I need to make sure the bastard stays on.

Since I'm going to send it to Sony, what's the best way to back up my files? I don't have an external HD, will a usb be okay for save files? Also, does anybody know if I can back up my Rock Band 1 export? i don't want to have to re-buy the game...

On my second YLOD 60GB Launch (refurbishment of course), anyone willing reassure me that a new slim will not shit the bed too? lol Funny thing is, I never heard the fans hit the high note, and it is 60 degrees Fahrenheit in my home. Tried the vacuum technique, no good, at least I got GT5 to eject. Wish me luck on getting my hands on a new one. (there goes my NHL11 and GT5 saves). lol

Cotton McKnight said:
On my second YLOD 60GB Launch (refurbishment of course), anyone willing reassure me that a new slim will not shit the bed too? lol Funny thing is, I never heard the fans hit the high note, and it is 60 degrees Fahrenheit in my home. Tried the vacuum technique, no good, at least I got GT5 to eject. Wish me luck on getting my hands on a new one. (there goes my NHL11 and GT5 saves). lol
I just submitted my brothers for service and they had a limited time option of replacing it for a refurbished Slim 120GB model for $99 instead of the usual fat model for $130

canadian crowe said:
I'm having a weird problem that I haven't seen anyone come across before (I'm sure they have, but I must have missed it)

I have a 320GB slim, and when I was playing a game tonight it just shut off. No warning or anything. Not only did it shut off, but no lights were being displayed either.

That sucks, I had the same problem with my 120gb Slim. It switched itself off once, which I blamed on the demo I was playing and thought it was an isolated incident, then it did it again a few months later with a different demo (which again I also blamed on the demo), and then it did it again several times consecutively in the space of 20 minutes while I was watching a blu ray. That was when I finally admitted to myself that my PS3 was a dud. I checked various forums and they said it might have been a psu fault that quite a few Slims experienced. I could have replaced it but I didn't want to deal with the hassle so I just sold it in the end. I'm quite annoyed about it as I kept it in good condition and it was only ~14 months old so I was out of warranty ;_; . Next time I buy a PS3 (in a few years time), I'll definitely be buying extended warranty with it.

I used a usb stick to backup my saves. Hopefully they aren't locked to the system :/ . Remember to deactivate your PS3 before you send it in to Sony.

SuicideUZI said:
I just submitted my brothers for service and they had a limited time option of replacing it for a refurbished Slim 120GB model for $99 instead of the usual fat model for $130

Did you submit it to SCEA or I should ask, whom did you submit it to? Since my PS3 was a refurb to begin with, will it be accepted?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Last night as I'm playing GT5, my ps3 suddenly shuts off. When I try to turn it on, I see the YLOD. In fustration, I turn to the internet for a solution and find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMW7XR59Fw
I was skeptical but desperate, so and I tried it and it actually worked. :D
I got my disk out and sync'd my trophies, but my GT5 save is copy protected. I'm scared that trying to play a game will trigger another YLOD, so I'm keeping it unplugged until I can buy a ps3 slim. If I delete all my game installs it shouldn't take long to transfer over the data, right?

Cotton McKnight said:
Did you submit it to SCEA or I should ask, whom did you submit it to? Since my PS3 was a refurb to begin with, will it be accepted?

yeah thru SCEA: https://service1.us.playstation.com/

I don't know if they will take refurb PS3s or not but I hope they will in case mine ever breaks again.

I'm pretty tempted to just give my brother mine and take his refurb slim model when it comes, but mine is fully backwards compatible which is something I don't really want to give up even tho I don't know if i will ever even use that feature

DonMigs85

celcius said:
Last night as I'm playing GT5, my ps3 suddenly shuts off. When I try to turn it on, I see the YLOD. In fustration, I turn to the internet for a solution and find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMW7XR59Fw
I was skeptical but desperate, so and I tried it and it actually worked. :D
I got my disk out and sync'd my trophies, but my GT5 save is copy protected. I'm scared that trying to play a game will trigger another YLOD, so I'm keeping it unplugged until I can buy a ps3 slim. If I delete all my game installs it shouldn't take long to transfer over the data, right?
Just keep the game installs which already had a lot of updates/patches/DLC applied, so you don't have to re-download them again later.

DonMigs85

Marvie_3 said:
Thinking about picking up a PS3 slim today. Have there been many problems or are they a lot better as far as reliability?
Seems to be hit-or-miss. Anecdotally though, the final fat models seem to be more reliable.

DonMigs85

Marvie_3 said:
What usually goes wrong? Just so I can try to avoid any problems. :lol
I know of a handful of Slims that suddenly just stopped working, but otherwise I guess they're ok. The 360S seems less reliable in comparison.

DonMigs85 said:
I know of a handful of Slims that suddenly just stopped working, but otherwise I guess they're ok. The 360S seems less reliable in comparison.
I've had 2 slims. One worked great, the other one died after 6 weeks.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I got a new ps3 slim 320gb today and was able to transfer my stuff from the old system! :D :D
I never would have thought that the hairdryer trick would actually work. WOOT!!

Nizz

I wonder if my blu-ray drive is going on me? I've had random freezes over the past couple of months. Happened once/twice while playing Black Ops. Now today I was playing Prince of Persia and after a reload it started to chug then the screen just froze.

It's a slim I had traded to Sony for a 60g. The slim was a "re-certified" model. I swear if it goes, I'm going to try these people: http://www.psr1.com/

I really hope it's not the drive. But Sony charges $150.00 flat rate for repairs and these people charge $119.00.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
canadian crowe said:
Thanks. I'm getting antsy, but in reality I live in Toronto and the repair facility is only an hour away, so the turn around time will only be about a week.
I wouldn't even recommended buying one as a standalone player. I would ditch it and stick with a SLIM and keep a PS2 SLIM around.

I don't mean to take up this whole thread, but I'm having even more problems. I was trying to get my saves onto a USB and it turns off every minute now. So I've basically lost everything on there...

Sorry to vent, I'm just really frustrated. That wii is looking pretty good right now...

Sapiens

The only real way to solve the problem with 60GB PS3s is to fuckin' reball 'em with some lead solder.

BUT I CAN FIND NO ONE to do this service in Canada. You'd think it would be easy.

DonMigs85

canadian crowe said:
I don't mean to take up this whole thread, but I'm having even more problems. I was trying to get my saves onto a USB and it turns off every minute now. So I've basically lost everything on there...

Sorry to vent, I'm just really frustrated. That wii is looking pretty good right now...
The heat gun/new thermal paste trick might keep it alive longer.

DonMigs85 said:
The heat gun/new thermal paste trick might keep it alive longer.

Well it's still under warranty, so I should be okay. I just don't want this to happen often. I'm sure it won't but I'm just a little frustrated.

I also know they'll send me a refurb, so what are they like? Mine is pristine.

Blah! My 60GB B/C PS3 died for the second time a few minutes ago. Thankfully I got my Black Ops out and I used to be pretty proactive with backing up my saves, but I did get lazy and lost the last few games I got. So hopefully I just lost Dead Rising 2 (was trying to crack the top 1,000 on the leader boards and was soooooo close), SSF4, Sports Champs, Fist of the North Star, Black Ops and whatever saves were locked.

I guess I'll try the hairdryer trick when I get the money together for a new slim, but now I've lost two activations thanks to the stupid thing dying. Gonna have to go bitch to Sony to see if I can get them to deactivate the thing. Yay!

Kccitystar

For the past month or so my 40GB PS3 has had a problem with the blu-ray drive mechanism. It can accept discs and everything but there is a problem ejecting the games I play. It will eject games on one try every now and then, but a majority of the time it won't so I have to keep pressing eject until it does. I've tried using a disc cleaner, and almost every option short of formatting on the service menu.

What I want to know is, since it's happened to my cousin's PS3 as well, if this is a common issue with the 40GB (I believe 6th gen as it is a CECHH model) line of PS3s that we both own and what can I do to remedy this problem?

I mean it's out of warranty and for a drive repair it's $100 but if the remedy is simple as opening the system and realigning something or whatever like the old PS2, I'll consider it.

So PS3-GAF, do I have to open up my console?

Bought a Slim today. Weird thing is, my phat ylod yesterday. Turned the back switch off then turned it on, and its working. I watched a whole movie today and was playing Black Ops too. Now I got a q, will it eventually die or is my ps3 bipolar? Also, is loading textures a bad sign of it dying?

I know you can't deactivate systems online, but wasn't there a site you could login to that would show how many activations you've used? Anyone remember what that was?

I'm buying a new system today and want to make sure customer support deactivates the two slots I've lost thanks to my fat dying twice before I start buying stuff from the store again.

DonMigs85

ThirstyFly said:
I know you can't deactivate systems online, but wasn't there a site you could login to that would show how many activations you've used? Anyone remember what that was?

I'm buying a new system today and want to make sure customer support deactivates the two slots I've lost thanks to my fat dying twice before I start buying stuff from the store again.
Qriocity

Zoe

Grayman said:
so there is no way to get locked saves off a ylod ps3 is there?

I am debating on what to even do with this.

If you can resurrect it, you'll need to do a data transfer with a new PS3.

Grayman

Zoe said:
If you can resurrect it, you'll need to do a data transfer with a new PS3.
and it seems that the best way to do that is to put it in a box and spray it with a hair dryer for half an hour?

I wasn't sure where to post this but...here is my story.

I was sitting on this computer right here browsing GAF when I suddenly heard a loud bang from upstairs. I go up to discover it's my PS3. I suspect it was one of my cats that knocked it down. I hooked it back up and everything appeared to be fine. GT5 loaded up the first time until the game was loading Suzuka for 5 minutes. Worrying that something was wrong with the drive I ejected GT5 and the blue light blinked 3 times along with an awful noise. Upon trying to reinsert the disc my PS3 would have none of it. I was able to slide it in only slightly by hand but it would never actually go in. When I pressed the disc button though, it would still eject.

GAF, what are my solutions? I purchased the PS3 last December so I'm curious to know where my warranty stands. Also, where can I go in terms of DIY jobs?

P.S. it's a 250gb slim.

Top Bottom