• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

Part 1 + Index

#42 - The Walking Dead - A New Frontier Episode 5

#43 - Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

#44 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

#45 - Hitman GO Definitive Edition

Currently on playlist:

Dead Cells

I guess as rogue lite in early access this won't be completed any time soon...

Sniper Elite 4

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Krooner

The Sexy Brutale

All done with this, managed to get the platinum too, something i wouldn't usually go out of my way to do but at the end saw I only had 3 paying cards left to pick up. you actually get a different ending when you do it, so it's worth it I think. puts a bow on the game. I enjoyed my tie with it, but i can't imagine playing it again now i know the solutions... would be in for a sequel though.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst next.

Spyware

60rPAAG.png

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - 3DS - Completed August 9
I played this and Omega Ruby in a sort of joined Nuzlocke challenge. I would walk into a route in this game and whatever I caught (if anything) I could never use in Ruby. The next route I would play in Ruby first and whatever I caught I couldn't get in this game. You get it. Gyms I did at the same time so I wouldn't get an advantage of knowing moves and mons in the other game. It took me AGES to get through these games and I can't say I had a good time really. I hated the dialogue! It just keeps going on and on and on! I was going crazy by the end. Ohwell, I made it and my final team consisted of Seviper, Camerupt, Manectric, Altaria, Swampert and Sableye. Strangely enough, the MVP was... Seviper! I think I might have wiped to Steve's Cradily of all things without him!​

BZHtMpi.png

Pokémon Omega Ruby - 3DS - Completed August 9
Not much to say for this since it's the same game as Sapphire. Disliked it just as much anyway ;) Final team: Skarmory, Gardevoir, Lanturn, Exploud, Sandslash and Blaziken.​

gYnnlmh.png

The Witcher 2 - PC - Completed August 16
Another long, long game finally crossed off the list! This took me ages! I played through it four times and it was interesting to see the changes and the different dialogues. One path is miles better than the other tho and it's kinda strange how that path paints a much better picture of the character you didn't choose to go with! I'm not a fan of Act 1 and the side quests are all over the place but the main story is fascinating and the characters are mostly great. I think I like the first game better which I did not anticipate.​

AGbM0am.png

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles - PC - Completed August 19
I really can't decide what I think about Yonder. It's strangely paced and it is too grindy but it has so much charm! Sometimes I think back on it and feel it was boring, sometimes I think I had a great time. How can that be? Hmm. I really liked that it doesn't have combat, that much I know!​

----------------
Master Post

Azriell

Complete List

Graceful Explosion Machine
Platform: Switch
Time: 4:00
Date: 08.28
Score: (5/5)

For the first few levels, I really didn't get the hype. By the end, I was in love. It's a 2D side-scroller that somehow reminds me of DOOM 2016, with fast, demanding combat that requires you to constantly change attacks. Also, I love that the art manages to be beautiful while simple enough to not overwhelm the player with needless visual fluff.

Azriell

Complete List

XCOM 2
Platform: PS4
Time: ??:??
Date: 08.29
Score: (5/5)

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a glitchy piece of shit. However, the XCOM flavor of strategy is my favorite flavor, so it's hard not to overlook the numerous problems. There's something immensly satisfying about setting up a sniper or two to watch over the battlefield as a few frontline soldiers push up. Researching new tech to find and maintain an edge over the aliens is extremely compelling, especially when there are so many directions in which the upgrades take you. Armor, grenades, ammo, and accessories. And then there's the Psi Operative, which blew me away. It was so cool to see how much the game could change things up as I entered the third act. And along those same lines, the way the alien forces change over the course of the game was also pretty surprising. It's a game that manages to continuously bring small additions to the table, so that a campaign spanning 20-40 hours still feels fresh and enjoyable up through the end.

Tizoc

header.jpg

This is a 2D Shooter inspired by the likes of the Assault Suit series. Visually I didn't find it all that impressive and the controls are clearly more suited for KB+Mouse than a controller.
Despite some lame sections it was a decent short fun romp. The cheevos being bugged din't bother me much though :p

Azriell

Complete List

Ironclad Tactics
Platform: PS4
Time: 6:00
Date: 08.30
Score: (3/5)

Ironclad Tactics is a pretty interesting concept. It's part turn-based strategy, part real-time strategy, and part collectable card game. You have a hand of five cards and a slowly growing stock of action points. Cards have an AP cost to play, and when played the deploy units to the field, give units equipment, or heal/damage units. It's a pretty interesting concept, and I really enjoyed the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, by the end when the stakes had climbed, the limitations of such a system start to shine through. There were several levels in the campaign where I had a suitable deck, but I had to try a few times before the cards came up right. I guess this is a natural effect of this sort of system, but it was frustrating regardless.

CheeseNubs

Neo Member
21: Singularity - Date = Aug. 30; Difficulty = Normal; Rating = 6/10
RoJY8Wo.jpg

Average gameplay and an okay story. Heavily inspired by Half-Life and Bioshock, so if you enjoyed those games you might enjoy this game as well. Probably won't return to this game.

Main Post

Theswweet

#25 Sonic Mania - Completed 8/19/17
#26 Ys Seven - Completed 8/20/17
#27 Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana – Completed 8/27/17

Sonic Mania - Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. It's a classic 2D Sonic game, and it's fantastic! Glad it turned out well.

Ys Seven - I played through this for review, so if you want some impressions you can find them here. It's a good port, and the game itself holds up well.

Ys VIII - I also played this for review, but I'll just say it was my GOTY last year on Vita and the PS4 version is even better. Shame about the translation though, NISA didn't do a great job on it.

Burglekutt

August Update

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227815833&postcount=394

43. Super Hot VR- Amazing. Makes you feel like an action hero. A must play for any VR enthusiast.

44. Eagles Flight- Pretty fun flying around a deserted Paris. The aerial combat was really fun.

45. God of War III Remastered- Fun combat, mediocre platforming, hated the story and characters.

46. Trine 3: Artifacts of Power-didnt like having to unlock levels by collecting items and had a cliffhanger ending but otherwise enjoyable.

47. Ratchet and Clank- Great platformer/shooter. Really enjoyed the variety of weapons and upgrade system.

48. Statik- Fun puzzle game for PSVR. Really cool how they throw you in situations without explanations and just let you figure it out.

49. Until Dawn- Amazing game. Really impressive how they managed to blend so many different horror genres together.

Eighth update for August. Highly advise also checking out my latest update in the Backlog Blitz thread as well!

Main post|Backlog Blitz main post

JByVgmu.png

Game Eighteen
Horizon Zero Dawn (PlayStation 4) - August 6
★★★★★ (5)

An incredible RPG in a dramatic but successful step into the unknown for Guerrilla.

4MojLdt.png

Game Ninteen
Watch Dogs 2 (PlayStation 4) - August 9
★★★★ (4)

Such a massive improvement over its predecessor. Can't wait to see what they do with 3.

ax72G5B.png

Game Twenty
Far Cry 4 (PlayStation 4) - August 10
★★★★ (4)

Easily my favourite Far Cry game so far for sure.

aBUnsym.png

Game Twenty One
ABZU (PlayStation 4) - August 11
★★★ 3/4 (3.75)

Pretty darn good. Super Journey influence (though the game's director was Journey's art director too) and was ready to give up on it until I figured out how to do swimming properly.

fKmSn2C.png

Game Twenty Two
Virginia (PlayStation 4) - August 11
★★★ (3)

Genuinely good story beats at times and great art design, but it really lost me half the time as well.

PxjbwF1.png

Game Twenty Three
Valiant Hearts: The Forgotten War (PlayStation 4) - August 11
★★★ 3/4 (3.75)

A lovely, touching game with emotional ups and downs with not some oddly designed puzzles.

WvgLEBx.png

Game Twenty Four
Oxenfree (PlayStation 4) - August 12
★★★★ 1/2 (4.5)

As a horror whuss, I wish I had played this sooner. It absolutely would have been in my top ten games of last year if so!

gJ8iTNi.png

Game Twenty Five
Transistor (PlayStation 4) - August 16
★★★ 3/4 (3.75)

A good sophomore effort from Supergiant, but damn if it ain't frustrating times, especially the final battle.

X9rRzIx.png

Game Twenty Six
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (PlayStation 4) - August 16
★★ 1/4 (2.25)

I'm reminded why Assassin's Creed can be a pain in the arse sometimes after playing this.

ovLfPpV.png

Game Twenty Seven
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PlayStation 4) - August 24
★★★★ 3/4 (4.75)

Easily the best Uncharted since 2 and my second favourite after 2.

VW0YeZ8.png

Game Twenty Eight
Gravity Rush Remastered (PlayStation 4) - August 28
★★★ 3/4 (3.75)

Great effort from Bluepoint to bring it to PS4, though forgot how some things frustrate the hell out of me in this game. Now to try and finish GR2!

38Gl79o.png

Game Twenty Nine
Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Episode One, Awake (PlayStation 4) - August 31
★★★★ 1/4 (4.25)

A massive home run for me after some doubts of how it would turn out for me. A fantastic season premiere!

Eblo

Master post

Tons of small games this month. Tons.

cuefMrz.png

Knuckles in Sonic 1: August 1
Neat little rom hack. Weird how this game didn't officially exist.

Sonic_and_knuckles_and_sonic2_title.png

Knuckles in Sonic 2: August 1
Death Egg Robot is a nightmare with Knuckles's reduced jump height.

S3k_title.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: August 1-2
Replay as Tails. Super Tails is every boss's worst nightmare.

250px-Sonic_Adventure.PNG

Sonic Adventure DX: August 3-4
Replay.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD_North_American_cover_art.jpg

Sonic CD: August 4
Replay.

Sonic3D.jpg

Sonic 3D Blast: August 5
My first time playing through the entire game. 3D Blast is an interesting foray into 3D for the series. The flicky mechanic makes for fun arcade play, and it even serves as a storytelling device for the last level.

250px-Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.png

Sonic Adventure 2: August 5-7
Replay.

250px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Chaos_Coverart.png

Sonic Chaos: August 7
Short game. Interesting to see the limitations of the system in effect.

250px-Sonic_Spinball_Box.jpeg

Sonic Spinball: August 8
The third level and boss did one thing very well: they moved the story forward. The boss is powered by animals that get roboticized before Sonic's very eyes. The way to defeat it is to free the animals and cut off the machine's source of power. A mainline Sonic game should have done that. The final boss was some of the worst shit I've ever seen.

Sonic_1_MS_title.png

Sonic 1 (Game Gear): August 8
What the fuck was Scrap Brain Acts 2 and 3. No rings in any boss stage. What the fuck man. I did like Chaos Emeralds being exploration bonuses. However, some levels were still extremely linear.

S2ggtitle.png

Sonic 2 (Game Gear): August 9
Largely the same as the previous game, but better. Fuck that first boss.

Mean_Bean_title.png

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: August 9
why the fuck is the game so brutal, even on easy. why does the player get refugee beans even when the cpu isn't comboing

STT_Title.png

Sonic Triple Trouble: August 10
Unbelievably good hidden gem. Why did nobody tell me? Better music, colors, level design, special stages, gameplay, bosses, story than the rest of the Game Gear games. There's characterization everywhere, like with Sonic's idle animations. Sunset Park has that awesome seamless boss transition and music. Nack is a cool character.

Ta_title.png

Tails Adventures: August 11-13
Metroidvania? Huh. Nice experimental title

G_Sonic_title.png

Sonic Blast: August 13
Huge step down from the previous Game Gear titles, especially Triple Trouble. It's hard to control, the levels are more mazelike, the enemies and boss designs are worse, and the prerendered 3D is just plain ugly.

Sonic_labyrinth_title.png

Sonic Labyrinth: August 14
Self-contained challenge game. I had fun. Love these small experimental titles.

SonicMania_title.png

Sonic Mania: August 15-17
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOST AMAZING LOVE LETTER OF A GAME EVER SEGA PLEASE MAKE MORE

Ys_Celceta_Box.png

Ys: Memories of Celceta: August 18-24
Reminds me of Legaia 2 and 99 Nights. Memories of Celceta is a game built of cliché parts, but it uses them well. Great soundtrack. Too easy. More bosses should have been puzzle bosses like the angler fish in the beginning.

<no image>
Kamiko: August 26
Boring, not all that fun. Enemies can spawn over top of you and damage you without any warning. Thing's hardly an hour long even if you only play with one character, and it still overstays its welcome.

250px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

Half-Life 2: August 26-29
Replay :(

Message_in_a_Haunted_Mansion_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion: August 29-30
Quite primitive, moreso than the games I remember better. Characters aren't really interacted with much.

250px-Treasure_in_the_Royal_Tower_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower: August 30-31
The scheduled time mechanics are a bit annoying. Feel like padding.

illusionary

Well, August has certainly been a productive month... I'm now up to 50 games, so all being well, I'l hit 52 during the course of September.

header.jpg

40 Teslagrad (PS4) - 7 August 2017
Platinum trophy; 36/36 scrolls collected; true ending. Teslagrad is a physics-based puzzle-platformer, tending towards a 'Metroidvania' in some respects. The game's puzzles are largely based around a magnetism mechanic and manipulation of attraction/repulsion of differently/similarly magnetised objects - including the player character himself - with a small range of tools. There are certainly some clever ideas here, but unfortunately my abiding feeling about Teslagrad is of frustration, as I found many scenarios to be very fiddly, with behaviour not readily predictable - it was a case while it became clear what was needed, actually doing that was far from easy... but not for what felt like a lack of 'skill'.

Puzzle mechanics aside, while the game takes place almost all within a single building, there's a reasonably decent variety of environments. Graphics are simple but functional and the background music, while again simple, is catchy in a positive way. Teslagrad is a short game - if you know what you're doing (and are able to pull it off!), it could be completed within a couple of hours or less, but I wouldn't see that specifically to be a negative here, especially as the games feels like it pretty much exhausts the types of puzzle scenario that the magnetism mechanic allows, without a significant shake-up.

Overall, while I wouldn't go as far as to call Teslagrad a bad game, I couldn't really rate it anywhere better than average given the feelings of frustration that it leads to.

header.jpg

41. Transistor (PS4) - 14 August 2017
Platinum trophy, including completion of one full recursion. The recent release of Pyre provided an overdue reminder for me to go back to Transistor, which I'd previously tried briefly but didn't make much progress on - and I'm very glad that I did! I don't think that I've played any other games quite like this game, with its innovative mix of real-time and turn-based overhead-perspective combat - the game's key mechanic is the protagonist's "Turn()" ability, which pauses the action, allowing a series of actions to be queued up. There's an extraordinary extent of customisability available within this system, with each of the game's 16 combat abilities able to be combined with any of the others for a supplemental effect, or assigned as a passive ability for a related persistent effect - and it all adds up to a system with a huge amount of tactical depth

Alongside this, while I didn't get as absorbed in the lore of Transistor's futuristic setting as I perhaps could have done, but there's some fantastic world-building here for those to whom that appeals. The final word, though, has to go to the game's stunning soundtrack and, taking its cue from Supergiant's previous game Bastion, the well-implemented narration provided by the 'intelligent' sword that's your constant companion throughout the game.

header.jpg

42. Hollow Knight (Steam) - 14 August 2017
100% in-game completion, 'true ending', all achievements unlocked aside from for speedruns and Steel Soul mode. I had high expectations for Hollow Knight, having seen it widely praised, and particularly given that I enjoy "Metroidvania" games in general, but what Team Cherry have pulled off here really is stunning. The game world is impressively coherent throughout, populated (sparingly) with interesting NPCs and very satisfying to explore, with intelligently-hidden secrets and upgrades supplementing your journey through the game - all the more impressive when the world is as *huge* and diverse as it is. I could see the dark theming being a turn-off for some, but for the most part I'd expect this to be easily ignored if that element of the game's not for you.

Controls are tight and, while the game has a deserved reputation for difficulty, it never feels unfair; even against the most challenging of bosses or in the optional gauntlet 'trials', any damage taken felt like my fault and avoidable - which makes besting a tricky scenario all the more satisfying. Hollow Knight's beautiful hand-drawn art and memorable soundtrack also deserve a mention, rounding out the complete package... all-in-all, I have no hesitation in recommending Hollow Knight to anyone with even a passing interest in "Metroidvania" games and it's up there as one of the very best games of 2017.

header.jpg

43. Mega Man (PS4) - 15 August 2017
44. Mega Man 2 (PS4) - 15 August 2017
45. Mega Man 3 (PS4) - 16 August 2017
46. Mega Man 4 (PS4) - 17 August 2017
47. Mega Man 5 (PS4) - 17 August 2017
48. Mega Man 6 (PS4) - 18 August 2017
With the release of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, I felt that it was finally time to get stuck into the first collection of these classics, which I have little to no experience of playing previously - filling a notable hole in my gaming history. As a newcomer to the original games in the series, their reputation for difficulty is clearly well-deserved, though at times this comes from scenarios which aren't especially 'fair' - the hidden instant-death pits of the first game come particularly too mind, alongside the questionable requirement to have collected an 'optional' power-up to be able to progress through the final levels, without any signposting - though of course, this will primarily be a sign of the games' age and changing design trends. It would have taken me much longer to get through these games without the luxury of save states! Difficulty aside, there's some well-designed platforming challenge here for the most part and while I don't have the benefit of nostalgia to draw me to these games, I enjoyed my time with them overall. I think that I'll need a bit of a break before I move on to Legacy Collection 2, but I'll get there!

I think that Sonic will have to be the next 'retro' series that I spend some time with now.

header.jpg

49. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Steam) - 22 August 2017
Beaten with true ending, 100% map completion, all non-missable items collected. While it can't match up to Hollow Knight's gold standard, this is another great 'Metroidvania', living up to the recommendations that I've read from various quarters. Brutally hard at times, but never unfair - while insane difficulty (in which one hit is fatal) isn't for me, I can understand how it's feasible - the game is great fun throughout, with satisfying movement and combat being the core of the gameplay. There's less here in the way of ability upgrades to collect than I typically enjoy, but the game's fairly short which is probably a limiting factor there. Having enjoyed my time here, I'm definitely going to have to seek out the earlier games in the series before too long.

Uncharted-_LL.jpg

50. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4) - 31 August 2017
Platinum trophy, including completion on Crushing difficulty. Naughty Dog pull off another stunner with The Lost Legacy - while the central mechanics don't deviate much from the previous Uncharted games, that's not really a bad thing and The Lost Legacy presents a compelling story and character relationship dynamics between Chloe and Nadine, previously only secondary characters in the series. The game's fairly short length leads to a tight, well-paced experience, with a good balance between exploration and combat and, without any specific spoilers, the final chapter brings perhaps the most impressive set-piece encounter that the series has been to date. This will definitely be up right there among my favourite games of the year so far!

Rokal

Main post

Catching up on two months worth of games below

Completed

July

29: Owlboy - 9 Hours
RsT4Ndw.png

Absolutely gorgeous looking pixel art, but ultimately I didn’t enjoy the gameplay. Too many frustrating sections and it too often involved annoying stealth sections and spammy simplistic combat scenarios.
7/10

30: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD - 10 Hours
LKvFmDK.png

As a big fan of Lords of Shadow 1 two things stuck out to me from Mirror of Fate. 1) It is crazy how they adapted almost every gameplay element from LoS1, a 3D character action game, into a 2D action platformer. The combat system is the same: counters, combos, rolls, magic, everything feels 100% identical to LoS1. 2) It is crazy that this was originally a 3DS game. It isn’t suited at all to a small portable format. Too much detail in the environments, too much complexity in the gameplay. The HD port looks fairly nice, which adds to the mystery of why this was greenlit for a handheld instead of a $20 digital XBLA game or something. It’s not great, but I had a pretty good time with it, and it at least felt like a better followup to LoS1 than what I played of LoS2. I think it got a lot of flak for being too great of a departure from other 3DS/DS Castlevania games, but as someone who preferred LoS1 to those, I felt right at home.
8/10

31: Yoshi's Woolly World - 20 Hours
5c3fdpJ.png

The art style of this game is incredibly charming and it never gets old visually. As for everything else, I’m not a fan. I thought it would be like Super Mario 3D World, where the challenge was in doing all the collectibles for each level. Typically in 3D World those were easy to find, but hard to figure out how to get to or execute actually getting them without dying. Wooly World isn’t like that at all: the challenge is in finding all the collectibles, not actually getting to them, as they’re all hidden in invisible ? clouds or fake walls. You get them not by execution, but by walking around every inch of the level, jumping in the air in random places, and checking every wall in the game. It’s extremely tedious, and I was ready for the game to end halfway through. By the last World I was B-lining for exits and ignoring everything else. And it *still* took ~20 hours
6/10

August

32: Splatoon 2 - 8 hours
igjjHDj.png

I was a little disappointed with the recycled content in Splatoon 2 but overall it’s a pretty great package. What I wanted most out of a sequel was an expanded single player campaign, and 2 definitely delivered there. The campaign was longer and had much more creative levels than the first game. It also does a pretty good job of introducing you to each weapon, with levels built to teach and challenge you on how they work. The multiplayer feels the same as ever, and the 2 map rotation limit is still completely obnoxious, but the changes to ability acquisition and special attacks do a nice job of updating and refreshing things. The Horde mode feels pretty barebones, and having it available only certain times/days is also pretty annoying. Nintendo made several mistakes with the online implementation of Splatoon 2, as they always do, but it’s a great game. Finished the single player and a couple dozen MP matches.
8/10

33: Dragon Quest Builders - 80+ Hours
iIqXWbf.png

I’m not a big fan of open world or crafting/survival based games where you’re expected to make your own fun in a sandbox, but something like Minecraft with a lot more quest structure seemed like it was worth checking out. I had a great time with this, but I was not anticipating this game to take longer to finish than Witcher 3. It’s absolutely massive. Each of the scenarios was pretty interesting, and the game avoided feeling like you were repetitively doing a building/weapon quality arms race each time you started in a new area by limiting what could be built and what resources you had available. My only big complaint was the combat, which was rudimentary and terrible. Still, this was really interesting to play: it felt like they had successfully opened up a genre that was previously completely inaccessible to me. It was a bad game for this challenge due to the length and time pressure though, and sucked up almost an entire month of gametime for me.
8/10

34: Sonic Mania - 6 Hours
VVzPpLJ.png

This is the first time I’ve really enjoyed playing through an entire Sonic game, at least since when I was a kid and was more forgiving of mediocre games. Usually the 2D ones frustrate me by seeming to encourage speed and then having you get hit by spikes or enemies you’d never see coming. I feel like Sonic Mania avoids the problem. Going too fast doesn’t ever mean instant death, but missing opportunities for better paths or powerups. You always get a moment to react before something bad happens, and fixing that (imo) prolific design flaw in the series finally allowed me to understand how to play the game enjoy the ebb and flow of speed in levels. I had a great time with this, which is shocking in 2017. The soundtrack was also absolutely killer.
9/10

35: Ratchet & Clank - 10 Hours
ySZ3FOY.png

This is also the first R&C game I’ve played in a couple years. It’s a remake of the first game, with updated and expanded levels. Even with the updates, it doesn’t quite feel modern. Most of the levels felt linear & short enough to be theme-parky, and the combat (while improved) still feels weak compared to other third person shooters. Most guns lack impact and aiming feels a bit clunky. I understand that they were trying to make the game for a younger audience (their words) so I can excuse some of the problems to some extent. On the plus side, the humor & writing is as strong as it’s ever been for R&C. The thing I enjoyed most about the game was definitely the visuals. This was the first 4K game I’ve ever played and the resolution bump greatly surpassed my expectations. With HDR, 4K, and an excellent art style it felt like a generation leap, no joke.
7/10

36: Severed - 5 Hours
lPbKnli.png

Fruit Ninja swiping gameplay combined with a metroidvania game and RPG elements is brilliant. This is the first time I’ve played a touch-based control game on my mobile device (an iPad) and thought “this wouldn’t be nearly as fun or interesting with any other control method”. The swiping becomes more complex as you face different enemies with attacks and strategies to counter. Difficult battles feel like keeping several plates spinning. The combat in the game was genuinely challenging but it never gets frustrating due to generous checkpoints. Very cool.
9/10

37: SOMA - 10 Hours
6U7hNtO.png

One of the most interesting games I’ve ever played, narratively. I wish they had found a way to keep the threat of danger without the actual enemies, as the stealth/hiding parts with enemies was easily the worst part of the game. The fact that you couldn’t look at enemies without aggro’ing them didn’t help, I’d often find myself staring at a wall bored while waiting for an enemy to leave, which felt silly and robbed every event with enemies of tension. If they’d managed to keep the atmosphere of dread without the annoying enemy interaction, I think it would have been a stronger game. That said, what a fantastic story & setting. I didn’t finish Amnesia but I’ll be eagerly looking forward to the next Frictional Studios game.
8/10

OP

Game 36: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - 46 Hrs 13 Mins (8/5/2017)

#Probably my favorite of the 3DS FE games. The OST is the best in the series for me (no small feat) and could be on my top OST list for this year, the gameplay felt a bit more old school (it is a remake of Gaiden), some chapters got pretty annoying and having to grind at points felt like a pain, but I loved the characters, the story was enough to keep more interested. One of my favorite games of this year... My GOTY list is going to be tough to come up with...

Game 37: Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Wii U) - 3 Hrs 10 Mins (8/19/2017)

#Enjoyable fighting game that I'll come back to every now and then.

Game 38: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS/iOS) - 10 Hrs 3 Mins (8/22/2017)

#Charming and quirky yet interesting VN adventure game by the creator of Ace Attorney. Loved this game and glad I finally played it!

I've been playing a lot of Mario + Rabbids and have Yakuza Kiwami to get through after that. Once those two are out of the way, it'll probably be Sonic Mania and backlog.

Falchion

Original Post

33) Arms - 10 hours - 9/1
I'm going to go ahead and count this game as beaten since I've finished the Grand Prix with all characters including Max Brass and have played various other modes. It's definitely a fun game, but it feels very bare bones with no story mode and nothing to do besides straight up fights and some mini games.

0eWdkZ3.jpg

31:01h. Completed all Paralogues, Challenges and Invasions. Played on Normal Casual. Got a 7h delay because I missed on recruiting some Children and I realized too late.

Even though Fates is a compilation, since they were originally released as separate games I'm counting them as such.

If you like Awakenings, you'll like Birthright: they're two very similar games. I'd even say Birthright was easier, besides some of those damn-near-impossible castle defenses. The gameplay is nice and tight, built around pairing compatible fighters in the battlefield, and the story is basically forgettable (even though it's darker than Awakening's) but the likable characters keep you going.

Gotta face Conquest now, I've been told it's a harder game with a better story

My Score: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

Original Post

Krooner

All done with;

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Enjoyed this, not as focused as the first game and I think that cost it overall. When it works though, there's nothing that can touch it. I was disappointed
that the final boss fight was a cut scene
, but it tries to tell a much more socially conscious story than we see in video games on the whole, so points for that.

Abzu - Nice and laid back, a lot of nods to Journey, making it hard to recommend if you're a Playstation player who's been through that. The only thing close to on on X1 though I suppose. missed a couple of collectables so will go back and pick them up I think.

Ducktails Remastered next. Me and my 11 year old are going to do Double Dragon Neon through too, at some point this weekend...

Tizoc

header.jpg

This was a better PnC than I expected. the English localization is good but has its hiccups.

I was rather turned off by the ending but the overall Journey was quite good.
So far this is prob. my fav. PnC from Daedalic.

NHale

Game 38 - NBA 2K18: The Prelude &#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
As a taster for the main mode in the game, the game fails flat on their face with silly cutscenes and set up for the career, while also showing the increasing impact of microtransactions within the mode. Gameplay might have improved but My Career couldn't be much worse than this.

Game 39 - Downwell &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
As someone that struggled to make it very far into the game, I still found it one of the better of the rogue like games. Reflexes are very important and while items can make a run end fast or prolong it for a while, it's not as random as other similar games.

Game 40 - Black & White Bushido &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
A worthy couch co-op/versus game if only for the light/shadow mechanic. Lack of modes and maps make this a short experience until you get burned by it though.

theBmZ

Original Post

16. Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition - 10/10. 38 hours
I love Minecraft to death. I've been wanting to get back into it for a while now. I work an overnight position at a hotel and don't have much to do. This has given me time to reconnect with the game. The game is just as fun and relaxing as it was when I used to play. Mining, building, and surviving is still a rewarding experience. Time just completely disappears when you are immersed into this game. It's great to be back.

17. Life Is Strange Episode 1 - 9/10. 3-4 hours
(Replay) A great intro to possibly my favorite game of all time. Incredible setting and atmosphere. Outstanding characters. Fantastic writing. Great gameplay mechanic in time reversal. Absolutely perfect score and licensed song selections. Ending leaves you wanting more.

18. Life Is Strange Episode 2 - 10/10. 3-4 hours
(Replay) Digging deeper into the characters and relationships. Exploring more of Arcadia Bay and Max's power. Heavy themes at play here. Powerful ending demonstrating this games strength when it comes to legitimately emotional storytelling.

19. Life Is Strange Episode 3 - 10/10. 3-4 hours
(Replay) Same as episode 2 with more aspects of Max's power being revealed and an unexpected emotional gut punch of an ending.

20. Life Is Strange Episode 4 - 11/10. 3-4 hours
(Replay) Probably the pinnacle of the series. Superb writing and thought provoking decisions. Another surprise ending I didn't see coming.

21. Life Is Strange Episode 5 - 9/10. 3-4 hours
(Replay) A satisfying(to me at least) conclusion to what has been an emotional rollercoaster. A true masterclass in writing, character, relationship, and world building. The series start to finish is unlike anything I've ever experienced in gaming. It's something I think we'll still be talking about for years. I think it should be required play, or at least something everyone should give a shot.

22. Life Is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 - 8/10. 3.5 hours
A great reintroduction to Arcadia Bay and its wonderful cast of characters. Even though some of the new gameplay mechanics fall a little flat, the writing and acting is pretty good so far. I'm excited to see where this series goes.

original post

Game 32: Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) - 21 hours

It was a decent epilogue to Yakuza 0 and its story, even if the game overall isn't nearly as good. It's nice that Kiwami is much harder (even though some bosses are simply annoying), which makes it more important to take advantage of the game's systems. As a remake of the first Yakuza game, the side content feels quite barebones though and hence the constant backtracking of the main story becomes far more blatant than most other titles in the series. They've tried to counter this with additional side content, which is decent, but not enough to bring the game up on par with other entries.

Main post part 2

-------

36. Blackwell Unbound - 2 hours
Second game from Blackwell series, also a prequel. Engine is still buggy and dated shit (1280x960 resolution max, Tab button causing crashes and glitches, but at least it playble in windowed mode), but story was worth it. Also, it's kinda short, even without walkthrough it can be finished in 2 hours, but that's a big issue imo. Puzzles and logic was mostly fine, but there is some places that might require you to look for hint in guides.

Tizoc

Telltale made some lovely traditional PnC games back in the day, and Wallace and Gromit is one of them. This is among Ben's first work as Wallace's new voice and he does it fine for the most part, although Wallace comes off a lot as a bumbling doesn't know-it-all at times throughout the game.
None the less it's a lovely game and one can never have enough Wallace and Gromit.

cYt6YTM.png

This game...wasn't very good. It has the makings of a good game but the overall product leaves so much to be desired.
I didn't like that the 3rd Act of each zone has you progress through areas with 0 rings and then fighting a boss. Then again this is likely due to how I disliked various stuff in the game so it compounded on me.

Sonic 1 8-bit still remains the best of the bunch that I played and would strongly recommend that one.

Ah I'd forgotten I beat this game and didn't add to the list when I beat it back in May, heh. You can read my full impressions of it in this thread here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376841

CheeseNubs

Neo Member
22: Grim Dawn - Date = Sept. 4; Difficulty = Normal; Rating = 7/10
0CzLt77.jpg

My first isometric aRPG (well first one where I beat the story). I'm definitely going to play more with different classes and try online with people. I got a little bored near the end of the game but then I started playing with a melee weapon instead of a gun and I had fun again.

Main Post

Main post part 2

-------

37. Medal of Honor: Airborne - 4 hours
This game didn't aged well, really boring and repetitive AAA blockbuster. Airdrop with parachute is an interesting idea, but it's pointless because levels are very small not providing any tactical variety. AI is extremely stupid, shooting is not fun, story is just bunch of random scripted scenes and briefings before missions. Airborne was barely interesting 10 years ago, and there absolutely no reason to play it now.

ChryZ

37. Pang Adventures (Steam, 2017/08/18, 4.6 hours)

The balloon popping arcade fun is back and then some. This isn't a straight arcade conversion. They went all out, remade everything and also added new modes. The visuals scale way beyond 1080p. The designs of the cheeky shonen characters are spot on and also very nicely animated. I had a lot of fun going through the "campaign" mode. There are lots of different regions and 100+ single screen levels to clear. The gameplay revolves around popping all balloons on screen, but with various twists to keep things interesting. Pang Adventure shows how to remake a classic arcade game into a great and modern home conversion.

38. RAGE (Steam, 2017/08/27, 13.8 hours)

I've enjoyed DOOM 2016 so much, that I reconsidered RAGE. I've initially passed it up, because of the so-so reviews. Yeah, it's really a mixed bag. The story, premise, characters, all felt like an ongoing deja vu. Everything is very generic. The game ran horrible out of the box, plagued by 7th gen console compromised presets. Thanks to the PC community, it wasn't hard to elevate this "spotty port" with a few minor tweaks. No idea, what the big deal was regarding id Software's MegaTexture. RAGE sports some of the blurriest textures I've seen in ages. To be fair though, there are moments when the game looks completely gorgeous. The gunplay made the game. The action, atmosphere, guns and firefights rendered all other shortcomings into minor annoyances for me. It's definitely not a classic, but worthwhile for sure.

39. Plug & Play (Steam, 2017/08/31, 0.2 hours)

This quirky, delightfully strange adventure puzzle is criminally brief. The fun only lasts 15 to 20 minutes. Animation and humor are great, if only there was more. The MSRP is 2.99, which is way too much. I've bought it on sale and still feel slightly cheated.

40. Until Dawn (PS4, 2017/09/05, ~6-7 hours, roughly two DualShock4 charges)

It took me a bit to warm up to this icy horror adventure. The millennial college brats annoyed me so much. Luckily the classic "cabin in the woods" situation offered plenty of chances to lose a few. Ironically enough, I've completed the game with two survivors: my most favorite character and my least liked one. The whole experience is very movie like, but only slightly more interactive than Dragon's Lair. The quick time events were uncalled for, something similar games already solved more elegantly. The visuals, sound design, mo-cap, character models, yoga pants and animation are all top notch. The resulting atmosphere got almost ruined by cheap jump scares. Until Dawn sports some serious production value with a few b level hold backs. The overall package is definitely worth a play through.

[index]

watdaeff4

Updated Main Post
49. Don't Die Mr. Robot (Vita)
Completed: /17
Time: 2 hours?

Another PS+ game I gave a try. It's a fun old-school shoot-em-up. I enjoyed it quite a bit and worthwhile to try out and play. Not a lot of replayability to it, but that's ok.

50. Splatoon 2 (Switch)
Completed: 8/17
Time: 15 or more hours

This is a game that I want to really love, but like most online-centric shooters, after 10-20 hours, I'm pretty much done with the concept. The SP mode is short and fun like the first, but the core of the game is online. After taking a break, I should give Salmon Run a legit try however.

51. Sonic Mania (Switch)
Time: 5 hours

Good old-fashioned Sonic. I only played the Genesis Sonic games, and this was a great tribute to them. Nothing new, but definitely upgrade and polish on those games.

52. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (Vita)
Time: 8 hours?

I had never played this originally even though my father and sister loved it on the PS2. This was a great game for me to play in bite size portions on the Vita. Loved almost everything about the game, and some of the levels changing the structure made it constantly feel fresh and not too redundant. The only thing I didn't like about the game were the two racing levels. Beyond that, superb game.

And with that I have finished the challenge three years in a row now!

Top 10 games played this year:
Zelda - Breath of the Wild
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
DOOM
Zelda - The Minish Cap
Dark Souls III DLC
MLB The Show
Resident Evil 7
Forza Horizon 3
Half-Minute Hero

EDIT:
Decided to evaluate what types of games I was interested in playing this year.....Out of the 52 games listed, only seven (7) were actually released this year and less than half (23) were from the current generation of games.

Was pleased to see that out of the list 9 of the games were "free" games (GwG, PS+, Gamepass, Halo Wars) and that since the Vita is the first handheld I've ever owned, I played 11 games on it.

Currently playing:
Diablo III (replay with Necromancer character)
Metro 2033
Metroid Zero Mission
Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels Expansion
World of Final Fantsy

OP.

---

e2giwxU.png

Game 39 - Home (PS4) - 3/5 - 1 hour, 45 minutes

It's almost Halloween so I'm going to be focusing almost exclusively on horror themed media for a bit. Decided to go for this as its been sitting in my library on both PSN and Steam for years now and it seemed relatively similar to another favorite of mine (Lone Survivor: Director's Cut).

This was pretty okay for what it is. There's not much content here but what is there was mostly pleasing for me. Things are definitely left really ambiguous as far as plot goes so if you aren't into that kinda thing I'd stay away.

vO3gh3e.png

Game 40 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - 3.5/5 - ~5 hours

Grabbed this with the Zelda Switch bundle I purchased a week or so ago. Marking it as finished as I've played through all cups at least twice on varying CCs. I'll be returning to do the rest in addition to playing multiplayer here and there so the time played will obviously expand over time.

I'll never complain about more Mario Kart. I was getting relatively burned out from the stretch of Wii through the original release of 8 but for some reason I like this one a lot more. Probably my favorite since DS or Double Dash.

9TN7JwU.png

Game 41 - Amnesia: the Dark Descent (PS4) - 3.5/5 - ~8 hours

Another game I'm playing way late. This one as a result of persistent badgering from a friend of mine who is also passionate about horror.

I've been holding off on this one due to multiple factors. Firstly, I'm not at all a fan of first person perspective in games. I'm not sure what it is (it's not like a motion sickness thing) but I've always felt this way. Secondly, I wasn't particularly sold on the way the gameplay flow was designed in terms of the monster encounters and how you deal with them. Add in the fact that for the longest time I didn't have the best PC to play this on (at least until this year) and I just never got to it.

Thankfully, this surpassed my expectations in most areas. I was a really big fan of the moments of relative down time. Exploring the castle, reading notes, taking in the scenery and sounds were a lot more appealing to me than any of the monster encounters. As with most horror games, I usually find the anticipation or buildup much more effective than the actual "boom". I psyched myself out so much more wondering what was going to be around that next corner or what was causing that noise only to find myself mostly annoyed by the monsters themselves?

That's not to say there weren't tense moments because there definitely were. Particularly
the chase with the water monster near the end where you just have to run for it
but I have some personal fears/phobias that tie into that so it definitely amplified my reaction. It really isn't hard to deal with these encounters and once you get it down, it really doesn't switch itself up except for a few infrequent bits like what I mentioned in the spoiler above. There's nothing particularly intimidating to me about seeing a creature and sneaking off into a corner and staring at a wall before waiting for it to disappear. I originally wondered if I would've preferred a game like this with the atmosphere and puzzles but no enemy encounters but after playing A Machine for Pigs (I know it has enemies also but it was really a decrease in enjoyment for me) I'm not sure what I think. Maybe Soma will be better than this for me in this regard?

Outside of my problems with the monster design I really liked this. Granted that's a pretty big problem in context of the game but I feel like this is so close to what could be one of my absolute favorites if it wasn't for that? The puzzle sections and bits of non-disturbed exploration were really sublime. I can see myself returning just for that at some point.

qn8xKqq.png

Game 42 - Amnesia: Justine (PS4) - 2.5/5 - ~30 minutes

More of the same from The Dark Descent really. I replayed to see what changed if (general Justine content spoilers)
you saved everyone, killed everyone, or a mixture
but it didn't make a huge difference in terms of gameplay or story content.

Probably wouldn't return to this one at all.

zg3y4wR.png

Game 43 - Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs (PS4) - 2/5 - ~4 hours

Was pretty excited for this one considering I enjoyed Dear Esther in the past but I was really disappointed. The monster encounters felt less frequent but it might just have been the short game length. The decrease in interactivity in the environment and just overall puzzles was a severe letdown. The settings and general atmosphere were less effective for me in comparison to both Justine and The Dark Descent so I wasn't left with much of anything.

I hope I enjoy Everybody's Gone to the Rapture more than this if/when I get to it.

Main post

Ezc7PKI.png

28 | Batman: Arkham Knight | PC
Time: 40 hours
Score: 7/10

Arkham Knight introduces some welcome changes to the formula while simultaneously regressing on other parts. I like the Batmobile. The extra puzzles and combat scenes fun. The tank action and stealth sections were well done and, in my opinion, it is a successful addition to the Batman series. The game looks terrific, traversal is smooth and enjoyable and I found the story and the mystery surrounding the Arkham Knight to be pretty well done. Where Rocksteady dropped the ball is in the boss fight design. Especially compared to Arkham Origins this is a major step back. Also the side mission design is rather unimaginative. It's simply a series of fetch quests with minimal context after which you can apprehend the criminal and bring him to GCPD. I had hoped other villains would play a more crucial role in the story. I must also mention that the writing is not that good. Nearly all characters are as one-dimensional as can be. And, because of a bug, I could not activate the Knightfall Protocol. This bug seems to have been there already since launch. That pissed me off a little.
In conclusion I really enjoyed this finale to the Arkham series but I also feel there was the potential for much more. The fact that Rocksteady didn't really manage to do anything special or creative with this colourful cast of characters truly is a shame.

Games played: 28
Highest rated game: Prey (9)
Average score: 6.7

chrismohan

Neo Member
Original Post

Okay been a while since I posted but been a summer where I realised I'm never gonna make 52 but I'm gonna see how many games I can realistically finish before the year's end. I've also decided to rinse more out of the games I've been playing cause to be honest I've played some crackers in teh past few months

16. Fallout 4
I know it doesn't get a lot of love, mainly because there is not an easy progression to see from 3 and it's storytelling doesn't measure up to New Vegas but I like a lot of the beats that it hits throughout. I'd have liked another ending as I don't see some of the factions as being that different in their ideals but it is what it is. My first ever platinum as well cause I had such a fun time.

17. Ratchet and Clank
I thought Fallout 4 was fun but that game had nothing on this remake. I played it through 3 times I had so much fun with the weapons. Never really challenging in many ways with only one of the Kart levels giving me any problems in getting the platinum.

18. Doom
It just kept getting better. Best shooter I've played in years. I'd like to say it was all about the gunplay (which was certainly hella fun) but it's the depth within the game. I loved all the challenges in the game, especially trying to do them all on a first run through. I only missed doing one first time and it was all so satisfying. Rune Trials and Weapon Mastery always kept me pushing outside of my comfort zone. No platinum yet but the back is broken of it! Wonderful

19. Walking Dead Season 2
It feels like I've been playing this for years. It was a slog for the most part but it's ended hit home to me with the impact that Season 1's ending had on everyone else. It was nearly as if they had listened to my monologue about S1 and what was important to me by the end. Can't say I've got anything but Telltale fatigue after it though....

20. Final Station
Thought I'd throw a short one at it to keep the momentum up with the big blockbusters coming. Fun, easy to play adventure game with just enough challenge and intrigue to keep it interesting.

21. Thomas Was Alone
In my head I'd stopped playing this as I found some of the levels a little tricky but once I picked it up again I dont think I ever had a problem at any point. Fell a little flat towards the end but a very enjoyable little game altogether.

Up next
Destiny 2 - It shouldn't take me too long to knock the main campaign out before the real fun starts.
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - There's much more game there than there appears. Frustrating at times but usually when I clear one roadblock I can knock a few over at a time.
Persona 5 - I'll never finish it but I'll do a few bosses before packing it in entirely. Style and story over gameplay no doubt but that can hold sway for a good while!

iaz1gRJ.png

20:22h. Noob mode. All side content (not that there is much of it).

FEF: Conquest is definitely harder than Birthright, mostly because you get much less oportunities to level up and grind, as there are basically no Challenges. This also makes expanding your castle a much slower affair, which in turn makes the game harder... this game is probably hell if you're playing with permadeath.

Also, the story is darker and better, not a wonderful epic by any means, but better than Hoshido's cliche storm. If I'm giving both routes the same score is because Conquest is a whole lot shorter because of the lack of extra chapters: it would have benefitted from a longer main storyline.

Next, to finish the Fates saga with Revelations.

My Score: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

Original Post

Been WAY too long since I came back to this, but I have made significant strides in the list, sadly my backlog has gotten bigger than the list of games I've beaten.

13. Persona 5
(PS4)
Overall: 9.5/10

14. NieR: Automata
(PS4)
Overall: 9.5/10

15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
(Switch)
Overall: 9/10

16. Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time
(PS4)
Overall: 7/10

17. 18. 19. Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
(PS4)
I'm counting each one individually since they are separate games
Overall: 6/10 (1), 7/10 (2), 8/10 (3)

20. Batman: Arkham Asylum
(PS4)
Overall: 8/10

21. Batman: Arkham City
(PS4)

22. Little Nightmares
(PS4)

23. Ryme
(PS4)

24. Yakuza 0
(PS4)

25. Sonic Mania
(PS4)

26. Snake Pass
(Switch)
Overall: 6/10

27. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
(PS4)

I'll try and add some impressions on the games I beat going forwards, but at least I'm halfway through, which is more than I typically do per year.

Tambini

2oy5CjK.png

#71 Hotline Miami &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;.5 PC - September 8th - 2.30 hours
Stylish and fun while it lasts, some levels towards the end felt like easiest way was to lure all the guys into one corridor and shoot them which felt a bit wrong. The game wouldn't feel nearly as good if the restarts weren't instantaneous so points for that.

9is9A7z.png

#72 Pokemon Red &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;.5 3DS - September 8th - 19 hours
Nice replaying this without having to dish out a catridge with a dogdy battery slot. Played it so many times I have to go with weird teams so it doesn't get boring

Dyna

My main post.

cRXSvu8.png

28 | NeverDead | Xbox 360
~10 hours | Completed Sept. 9th

I know this game got terrible reviews but it was only 2€ at GameStop so I decided to give it a shot. It's definitely not a good game and I'm not going to try to defend it or anything but I gotta admit I did have some fun with it here and there. The game borrows a lot from Suda51, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry in a way. It's basically a story about a cursed, immortal dude trying to defeat the demon king while surrounded by a wacky cast of characters. Not exactly the most original scenario but I thought the main characters were alright. The gimmick of the game is that the main character, Bryce, can get chopped up into pieces and still be able to move, shoot, jump etc. while either collecting his limbs back or waiting to regenerate. It's a neat gameplay mechanic and it would be cool to see something similar implemented in an actually good game, haha. The biggest problem I have with the game is that the core gameplay gets very tedious very fast because most enemies can decapitate you with just one hit and although you can upgrade your weapons, regeneration rate etc. it is still going to happen very frequently and it can get really frustrating - especially in the later boss fights. The enemies in general feel pretty unfair and cheap with their overpowered attacks. I still wanted to plow my way through the game despite all its dumb flaws for some reason, there was that little something that kept pulling me back to it. If I had to list some positives about the game I'd say the main characters are pretty fun, the shooting and blade mechanics are alright, there's a surprisingly high amount of destructible environment you can use to your advantage and the soundtrack (made by Megadeth!) is pretty good. I won't say NeverDead is a good game but if you're into Suda51's games and/or want some dumb action with a main character that can shoot demons while dismembered I could sort of maybe slightly recommend this...

Velcro Fly

Original Post

For the month of August I completed three games.

My progress for this challenge is 73/52

1. Super Mario 3D Land – Finished on August 5 – 4 hours, 53 minutes

This was one of the games that convinced me to buy a 3DS way back when. This run was strictly worlds 1-8 with all star coins. This is one of the games I always play with 3D on as well. It would be much less playing it on a 2DS only in my opinion. Going from this to 3D World is also quite an evolution. 3D Land is linear and blocky in many places. The level design is cool but most of the early game is really easy and most of the special levels after world 8 contain many remixed or slightly changed levels. I feel like there are a solid 12 or so worlds of great levels in the game and a bunch more that are the remixed ones that I'm not exactly a fan of. This was a great change of pace between playing some long sessions of Pokemon.

2. Pokemon White 2 – Finished on August 5 – 30 hours

The Gen 5 duology is a treasure. Unova's story as told in the game and through the legendary pokemon is perhaps my favorite in the series. White 2 bumps the story tone down a notch but still does a great job of building on White's story while still doing enough of it's own thing to be really fun. My team of Samurott, Excadrill, Ampharos, Lucario, Sigilyph, and Chandelure met the challenge put forth by Team Plasma and passed with flying colors.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series Episode 3 – Finished on August 26 – 2 hours

The story progresses and we meet a new character. If you've seen the second Guardians movie this character will be familiar. The whole game feels like you are just doing everything you can to piss off the rest of your team. Some choices feel like no matter what a couple Guardians will be angry with you, even if you are clearly doing the right thing. I know your choices have minimal impact on the overall outcome, but it kinda stings to see Quill arguing with Rocket or being taken to task by Drax for a choice you make. I am enjoying the whole thing even if it looked pretty bad pre-release. I feel like the story so far is different enough from the movies to be enjoyable. I think there are only two episodes left though so I'm not sure exactly where the story will go from here.

I was waiting for this to finally happen! Ran out of space in my master post...

Anyway, I'm getting pumped that I might actually finish this up this year! Very exciting!
On to the games:

44: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - Beat 9/9
I'll start off by saying that I've always been a fan of the Borderlands games. I really liked this one! I'd put it between Borderlands 1 and 2. 2 obviously being my favorite. I was hoping for something a little cooler in regards to Handsome Jack's face. And his arc in the game was a little weird. He genuinely seemed like an OK guy for like 90% of the game. From a Borderlands character standpoint at least. But everything else was cool. Genuinely laughed out loud a few times during the game, and I just can't get enough loot.

45: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell - 5:01 hours - Beat 9/11
Fun and short. It was a bit easy, but fun diversion. I didn't like that the story just randomly progressed. The cut scene out of nowhere to move the minimal story along whenever the game saw fit got to be a bit jarring. I liked it for what it was, but it's admittedly nothing great.

46: Madden 18 - 20 hours and beyond - won Super Bowl 9/23
This is the first madden I've bought since 15. I used to be a yearly guy, but they were starting to feel samey. Thus one is pretty great though. Everything feels right. Only complaint is that it feels like the spotting of the ball feels off on some big plays and I always either lose a challenge or am told there's nothing to challenge. Looking forward to continuing thus one on the Scorpio.

47: Uncharted 4 - Not sure how long I played - Beat 10/2
I started out not really getting into this one, but I warmed up to it a bit in. Is it wrong that I was hoping Sam would kick the bucket? This douche nozzle almost ruined his brother's life or got him killed
Over a frigging lie!!!!
I was hoping that this would be the Uncharted that finally ditched the supernatural crap at the end.
Then it was the one that dumped the monsters/supernatural and I was kind of bummed out about it. Go figure.
. I liked it though. It was decent end to the series!

48: Forza Horizon 2 - 23:44 hours - Beat 10/5
I haven't enjoyed a racing game this much in a very long time! Looks beautiful, runs flawlessly, and the gameplay is fantastic. Would have liked 60 fps, but the 30 still felt good. That was a big surprise. I guess having a flawless frame rate makes a big difference. Will definitely pick up Horizon 3 when there's a complete edition on a good sale.

49: The Evil Within - 20:39 hours - Beat 10/25
Felt great. It was honestly everything I'd want out of a Resident Evil 4 sequel. The story was odd though. I really felt like I was missing something. I also felt that once the setting shifted about 3/4 of the way through back to the city that it started to lose steam and wasn't as scary. The last chapter redeemed it, though.

50: Lego City Undercover - 13:50 hours - Beat 10/30
I think this was my least favorite Lego game. The story didn't do much for me and everything just felt like it was going through the motions. Glad I finally beat it since I got it when it first came out on Wii U. This is going to go down as the first Lego game that I won't 100%

51: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle ~20 hours - Beat 11/7
Fun! The game was beautiful and was actually a lot more challenging than I was expecting. I honestly don't really have anything negative to say about it. Definitely a great X-Com alternative.

52: Super Mario Odyssey ~15 hours - Beat 11/19
Absolutely amazing! This was definitely the Mario 64 follow up I've been waiting for. What can you complain about, really? Gameplay is tight, the levels are great, the bosses were even pretty cool. I guess it was a touch on the easy side, but it's Mario... Favorite change: collecting coins actually has a purpose.

53: Snake Pass ~ 7 hours - Beat 12/16
Loved the concept and the look. Definitely fought the controls on more than one occasion, but it was pretty solid overall.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

SEPTEMBER

Jf9vRgE.jpg

Xbox One

First time I've picked this up since its original release some years back and had an absolute blast blitzing through the main campaign. It's everything you expect from a Devil May Cry game. My only criticism is that i don't like Nero as a character or his fighting in comparison to Dante (a-la-Raiden) so it's a huge bonus when the game switches to Dante half way through. The story is pretty daft, but I'd expect nothing else, as is the cheesy dialogue. Certainly put me in the mood for some more hack n slash fun (eyes up Bayonetta). I tried having a second play though with Vergil, but it just felt like doing the entire campaign again with a different skin.
7/10

Tizoc

2Hm6s3W.png

Going back to this game after so many years, and after beating BS1, I still found it a fun PnC but its flaws are more apparent, such as the pacing. Non the less it's a good follow up to BS1 and I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting more PnCs to play.

hdr_logo.png

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so I played the VGA fan remake ver. and ended up having to use a guide after I got lost. I honestly don't know if the game even hints at what you gotta do throughout the game, and why you would need certain items (is the golden egg meant to have the giant condor carry you some time late in the game?).
As a piece of gaming history I acknowledge its impact but nowadays it just doesn't hold up too well, as there are better PnC games to play. Still if one is interested in seeing how the genre started up it might be worth playing through as it does have some funny moments in it.

CheeseNubs

Neo Member
Main Post

23: *Wolfenstein: The New Order - Date = Sept. 8; Difficulty = Bring Em On; Rating = 6/10
Eu93TN6.jpg

I really want to like this game because I really like the setting. However, the gameplay is just kind of 'eh' for me, and all the enemy types are pretty uninteresting. I don't really like any of the characters either, except maybe the black guy who plays guitar. That one scene where he gets B.J. high is awesome. I hope the New Colossus is better but I'm definitely picking it up on a sale.

Main post part 2

-------

38. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - System Rift - 4 hours
Didn't played Mankind Divided since last year, decided to play remaining standalone DLCs after upgrading my GPU. It was great to finally play this game with stable 60 FPS so i can't complain much about DLC content. Yes, it's just a small addition to main Mankind Divided gameplay loop, nothing special, but i enjoyed exploring another Prague district. Ready for "A Criminal Past"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom