• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear Ver., a charming little 8-bit 2D platformer

Tizoc

vUaLy8L.jpg

Some months ago I had gotten some of the 8-bit Sonic games that were on sale on EU 3DS. Recently I decided to give Sonic GG 1 my full attention and recently finished it.
All in all, despite any flaws it has, it's a charming and good platformer.
Sonic's momentum or physics don't have the same feel as the MD games, which would've really helped in this game to save me from some deaths but otherwise I managed.

The game consists of 6 Zones-
Green Hill
Bridge
Jungle
FREAKIN' Labyrinth
Scrap Brain
Sky Base

If you get 50 Rings by the end of a level you can go to a bonus or special stage in order to grab more rings and get a few more lives and continues.

The game also has Chaos Emeralds but in this game they are positioned in a certain part of the level so you'd need to hunt them down. I didn't get all of them in my playthrough but I found it a nice little alteration compared ot the original games.

Each Zone consists of 2 Acts followed by a 3rd Act being the boss fight against EggmanDr. Robotnik. You usually DON'T have any rings to pick up in the 3rd Act so you need to be careful when to attack and avoid his.
One thing I found quite interesting is that Scrap Brain Act 2 involves backtracking as it require syou to open a door then back track to a previous area to progress. This is quite uncommon in the older Sonic games from what I remember and it was a funny change of pace.

What I liked most about Sonic 1 GG is the soundtrack which, according to wikia was arranged and handled by Yuzo Koshiro.
Yes THAT Yuzo Koshiro.
The game's soundtrack is lovely with a lot of feeling coming from them, such as Scrap Brain 8-bit evoking a pretty sinister lair vibe to its theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUZZXGbipc

Visuals-wise, there are some nice pixel work done here like the background of Jungle Zone and Scrap Brain. The pixel art is simple, but they really do a good job of adding some atmosphere.

If you're looking for some good old fashioned 2D Platforming, give this game a chance, but keep in mind that the mastery of this game comes in memorizing how to tackle each area in the game, so you need to know when to speed through and when to slow down during certain sections.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember this being the hardest classic-style Sonic game.

I had this game and the sequel on Game Gear. I think my system would overheat or something because every time I made it to the Jungle stage, the screen would get all scrambled making it impossible to progress.

This game is good

Second is a nearly unplayable mess and I hated the first boss more than anything else in the world when I was a kid

Dartastic

I just remember punching my Game Gear as a child. It's the only time I've ever acted out while playing a game. Thank god I had the Montgomery Ward extended warranty.

Blue-kun

The first SMS Sonic game was really, really good. Played very differently than its bigger brother on the Mega Drive, but it had its own charm as OP says. The physics-based stuff wasn't all that hot, and sometimes pulling a jump after a slope would send you flying over almost an entire stage, but that was also funny and memorable, haha.

The highlight of it was definitely Yuzo Koshiro's music, though. Even though it was all done for the SMS, the music is still incredibly catchy even nowadays. I actually like the OST better than the stuff in the MD counterparts, even though those also feature incredible music. My favourite's probably Scrap Brain's.

Oh, and long live Sky Base Zone. I remember I used to play it on my mum's TV when I was young and due to all the lightning and what not she kept pestering me that it'd ruin our TV lol.

Ferr986

The Master System version had automatic vertical scrolling on Jungle act 2, and it could kill you. It also had less details in it's background.

Oh, and also Labyrinth Act2 had a different layout. And a different Sonic sprite.

Generally the Game Gear versions were more refined than the SMS versions, but Sonic 2 had the problem about the first boss, were it's hard as fuck with the smaller screen, that's why the SMS is recommended.

Sonic 1 8-bits it's an awesome game. It's a lil more platformed based than the 16 bits, and it's cool that it's a different game, and not a watered down version. I also liked Sonic 2, but not as much.

Sonic 1 8-bits was developed by SoR devs, that's why Yuzo did the music. Sonic 2 and the rest had another developer.

I didn't play this one, but I did play Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. In fact, I played that version before the Genesis one.

Sonic 2 for the Game Gear was just too hard, lol.

Mael

The Master System version had automatic vertical scrolling on Jungle act 2, and it could kill you. It also had less details in it's background.
Oh, and also Labyrinth Act2 had a different layout. And a different Sonic sprite.

Generally the Game Gear versions were more refined than the SMS versions, but Sonic 2 had the problem about the first boss, were it's hard as fuck with the smaller screen, that's why the SMS is recommended.
Rxo5ZKp.png

As far as I'm concerned this is the final boss, the rest is just a fever dream yall had.

Ferr986

As far as I'm concerned this is the final boss, the rest is just a fever dream yall had.

lol

I only had the SMS version as a kid, so I was a little surprised about the fame that boss had. Then I saw the GG version... yeah lol

Fuck the real final boss too though.

steveovig

I very rarely got through that Sonic 2 first boss. Like mentioned above, it was quite an accomplishment in and of itself. I think that was my first Sonic game too.

Ducktail

I absolutely love this game.

I rented the console and the game when I was kid, since we couldn't afford a Sega Genesis. I played the hell of out this over the weekend, but couldn't finish it. Quite hard for a kid.

A couple months later I got the Megadrive/Genesis for my BD with Sonic. Great times.

cireza

Sonic 1 and 2 on MS/GG are games that I love, and I prefer them to the Genesis versions.

I don't think that MS version is better than GG, or vice-versa. They are fine versions. GG ports were adapted pretty well for the console resolution, like many other MS ports (including Dragon's Trap, for example).

The Game Gear is my favorite handheld :)
It had games until 1996 and had specs that were great for its time. Many games are amazing on this console.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Yep. I think I maybe beat it once or twice in my lifetime. I recently booted this up on my 3DS and found that I still couldn't get past it.

I really need a new charger for my Game Gear.

Newboi

I definitely enjoyed playing this on my game gear, I never beat it though since my game gear always died before I could beat it. That flashing red light was panic inducing lol.

Edit: If anyone remembers the GG game Surf Ninjas, I would be ecstatic! The first prime example of false advertising I'd ever seen. The game they showed in the movie was not at all the game that you could play on your personal Game Gear lol.

I really like the Game Gear Sonics, although for 1, 2 and Chaos I should say the Master System versions. The screen size is such an improvement, wish there was an option for that with Triple Trouble.

Blast and Labyrinth can go eat a big plate of dicks though.

Ferr986

I really like the Game Gear Sonics, although for 1, 2 and Chaos I should say the Master System versions. The screen size is such an improvement, wish there was an option for that with Triple Trouble.

Don't forget Tails Adventure! Such a cool little game.

Played both versions back to back last year, and it's still a pretty legit fun time. I definitely like the GG version more, but playing either with the benefits of the other in mind is probably the best way to experience most of the GG/SMS lineup of these games. The bonus stage music always reminded me of Fantasy Zone.

The Jungle Zone boss is more nerve-wracking than it should be though.

There are hacks for Game Gear games that converts them for Master System compatibility, including Sonic Triple Trouble

It's not perfect, with some graphical junk on the outer edges of the screen, but still good FWIW

Zelias

Banned
Sonic 1 SMS was great and I used to know where all the extra lives and emeralds were, heh. Sonic 2 8-bit wasn't nearly as good.

Overall I prefer the Megadrive games but Sonic 1 8-bit is well worth a look imo

IrishNinja

i know i had part 1 on GG in the day, wanna say i beat it but agreed with others here that it felt way harder

Ugh. God no! The master system version is fucking dreadful.

really? why?
ive got 2 on SMS, been meaning to play through it

Don't forget Tails Adventure! Such a cool little game.

this one i've also not played yet - it's cool that some GG titles are getting SMS conversions for everdrive though

TreIII

I hope these Game Gear games get reimagined in future Sonic Mania titles.

Ditto. There's a lot of good zones to be from the first Sonic game to at least Sonic Triple Trouble/Sonic & Tails 2.

I wouldn't wish trying to make something good out of Sonic Blast on anybody, though...

SkylineRKR

Anyone who participated in the development of Sonic 2 GG should be shot.

Preach.

I loved Sonic 1 8-bit version, but the second game on Game Gear was dreadful. I doubt I ever got past the first boss either, because I've looked at an LP and can't remember the second stage. This game is a piece of trash.

Tizoc

I plan on starting Sonic 2 8-bit soon as well. AS I own the Game gear ver. via 3DS as well...I shall now know the true face of despair.

bomblord1

Banned
I remember playing this dozens of times when I was younger but never being able to complete it. I failed a ton of times at a stage with minecarts and pincer things that shot balls into the air. I could never see them until they were on top of me so I almost always lost there.

royox

I remember this being the hardest classic-style Sonic game.

It was? This game was literally my first console game of my life and as a 5 years old I mastered it, knew the locations of all the emeralds, could beat the game withouth dying one single time.....and now I can't even beat it withouth using a continue T.T. I have this theme still stuck in my head

Still haven't beaten Sonic 2, metal Sonic has destroyed my ass since I was 5.

Sonic 1 SMS was my first sonic game and I still love it, I really like the design of the last stages, skybase will always be cool, scrap brain's music is great, jungle is cool, such a good game.

You don't know how vindicating it was when I found out that first boss mentioned in this thread was universially considered bullshit and I wasn't just terribad as a kid.

Branduil

It was? This game was literally my first console game of my life and as a 5 years old I mastered it, knew the locations of all the emeralds, could beat the game withouth dying one single time.....and now I can't even beat it withouth using a continue T.T. I have this theme still stuck in my head

Still haven't beaten Sonic 2, metal Sonic has destroyed my ass since I was 5.

Out of all the bosses in Sonic 2 8-bit to get destroyed by... if I remember right, he can't even hurt you as long as you're jumping.

I think I beat that game 2 or 3 times in my life... it wasn't really worth it. The level design is such a nightmare, just thinking about it makes me angry.

Top Bottom