• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic, supply won't be an issue.

giphy.gif

Amazon France, Spain and Germany had regular restocks of the NES Mini for a while (they would sell out in a minute or so every time, but you could get one if you kept on top of the alerts), that wasn't the case with Amazon.com (I guess they sold theirs through Prime in select cities).

Same pattern has repeated with the SNES. Amazon.com only had them up once for 20 minutes so far, while Amazon's European sites have had multiple pre-order waves in the last weeks. And in Italy it's still available for order as we speak.

US customers playing the Supply/Demand game on Hard Mode compared to EU customers.

TrojanAg

Yeah, I don't believe you Reggie. Besides, Nintendo has already said that this wouldn't be sold past Christmas so if anything, scalpers can sit on these until next year when they aren't selling them anymore. You'll still have to fight them to buy one.

I already know how launch day is going to go. It's going to sell out and people will be screaming that Nintendo lied. People need to realize that launch day isn't going to be telling of anything good or bad. Launch day is going to sell out and people need to get those expectations in check. What's going to be telling if Nintendo lied or not is how frequently restocks are and how many are delivered in those restocks and we'll probably only understand that about a month after it launches, not on launch day.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey - did we ever get to the bottom of this phrasing on the Amazon orders:

"Nintendo Digital Downloads/Game Trust Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC "

Just canceled my order because that wording felt sketch to me anyway, and now they've announced unlimited stock it's a big relief.

"Nintendo Digital Downloads/Game Trust Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition

Just canceled my order because that wording felt sketch to me anyway, and now they've announced unlimited stock it's a big relief.

NO YOU

Farsi

You have made a terrible mistake.

jacobeid

Banned

Why.....why would you do that :(

I already know how launch day is going to go. It's going to sell out and people will be screaming that Nintendo lied. People need to realize that launch day isn't going to be telling of anything good or bad. Launch day is going to sell out and people need to get those expectations in check. What's going to be telling if Nintendo lied or not is how frequently restocks are and how many are delivered in those restocks and we'll probably only understand that about a month after it launches, not on launch day.

It is already a lie since even at most normal retailers people in Europe for example mostly pay more than 80$ because Nintendo isn't giving out a recommended retail price. Reggie knows this.

Wise man. Thank you Reggie for clearing things up!

jacobeid

Banned
I'm kidding!

But I was serious about the wording question - what was the scoop? Just a sloppy entry by Amazon logistics?

Oh phew. I was legitimately sad for you if you did.

Sounds like they did it to avoid people using bots on the first page they put up. Everything points to it being legit unless I missed something recently.

The Hermit

I see what you did there... Trying to make people give up of their pre-order so you can have one

Yeah that's basically what I suggested on the previous page:

Naked Snake said:
Wait: Could this mean that Nintendo has recently re-decided to dramatically increased production based on the response to the initial wave of pre-orders? If so then the product will most likely be very hard to get at launch and for a while after, but when the newly produced extra units go through the supply chain then it'll flood the market? What if this increased production only started after the preorders and because of how they went (selling in seconds/minutes or crashing sites for many hours). And they can't put those new units up for pre-order yet since they don't know when exactly they will be hitting shelves (they will be coming in weekly batches for 3 months anyway).

I would really like to read the original interview to see his exact words in full context so I can maybe get a better understanding of his message. I know subscribers to FT can share an article with a number of people, so if someone can share it with me I'd appreciate it.

It is already a lie since even at most normal retailers people in Europe for example mostly pay more than 80$ because Nintendo isn't giving out a recommended retail price. Reggie knows this.

Reggie speaks for NoA. What does NoE's situation have anything to do with Reggie speaking from a US perspective?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is this the second coming of.......

$(KGrHqF,!ocFCreMbg(6BQs9eC8,j!~~60_57.JPG

That's the first thing that came to mind.
This time they'll have an over-production of units and the retailers will get pissed for having all this stock they can't sell. Either way this is going to be another huge mess.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Twist: they overproduce the SNES mini and they sit on shelves collecting dust like Animal Crossing Amiibo.

Nintendo: Hey, here's the SNES Classic.

Consumers: Argh, supply has run out already and I didn't get one. Nintendo, you're awful.

Nintendo: Everybody, there's supply.

Consumers: Argh, Nintendo you're awful.

Careful living your life for the general population's approval, kids.

Fuck with this shit. Nintendo also said the NES mini would still be shipped to stores and announced the end of production at that point. Are you seriously taking issue with people in here not believing Nintendo after they've pulled this time after time? REALLY?

Memles

The September release has always made this a fundamentally different situation compared to the NES Classic. They have two months before Thanksgiving to keep production moving: what Reggie seems to be suggesting (once he gets through some bullshit to justify Nintendo's conservativism with the NES Classic production) is that launch is still supply-constrained (maybe didn't start production soon enough to make units widely available, maybe specific shipping concerns during this window, etc.) but that they can meet demand gradually over the course of the next three months.

Will this prove to be true? Hard to say. But it's not some absurd fiction until we see how it plays out.

Hah, right. Pull the other one Reggie, it plays Mozart.

I wanted an NES Classic - could not find one.
I was interested in the Switch - could not find one.
NOT interested in this because I won't find one here in the Windy City at retail.

Sorry Nintendo, burned me one too many times. I REALLY wanted an NES Classic and since you guys could not be bothered to get up off the money pile and make more of those, I cannot be bothered with a company that cannot manage expectations of supply for anything else you might want to sell. Nintendo had its shot with me and blew it.

Die in a burning dumpster full of screaming scalpers Reggie.

Woof, now here's how you *very* angrily announce a boycott, with a death wish as the cherry on top.

If being 'Nintendo free' is helping you out then I wish you luck on your stance, despite the fact it looks like you'll be missing out on a lot starting on Wednesday.

You do you champ!

Lmao did she end up building a club house with those unsold systems ?

She probably took them back to the store.

That's the real scam there, if it appears like scalpers can't shift units, they have a number of days where they're free to bring the product back to the store.

There's basically no risk to them at all.

What's the backstory on this?? Just wow... the woman's smile...

She's planning the long game. In 20 years she'll make a fortune on sealed Wii Us once the current ones are all dead or dying( and/or the gamepad stops working, whichever happens first).

jts

...hate me...
That's the first thing that came to mind.
This time they'll have an over-production of units and the retailers will get pissed for having all this stock they can't sell. Either way this is going to be another huge mess.
LOL

C'mon son.

zelas

However, Fils-Aime said issues with SNES Classic pre-orders were "outside our control" at retailers.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They're selling everything you've allowed them to!!!

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They're selling everything you've allowed them to!!!

Uh, he's right though. Things like allowing unlimited quantity per order, or allowing 20 individual orders is out of Nintendo's control. That's on the retailer. Also it's on the retailer to counter bots and scripts, not Nintendo.

zelas

Uh, he's right though. Things like allowing unlimited quantity per order, or allowing 20 individual orders is out of Nintendo's control. That's on the retailer. Also it's on the retailer to counter bots and scripts, not Nintendo.

No he isnt. He claims they've SUPPLIED enough units for everyone and tries to wash his hands of the SUPPLY issues because SOME, not all, retailers had TECHNICAL issues. You're falling for his bullshit.

This whole situation wouldn't exist if they actually made enough for everyone. Scalpers alone can't buy up 10M+ units. And most retailers wouldn't shut down preorders for weeks/months if they knew for sure they would be getting more units in the future.

Top Bottom