• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

VoxPop

I'm looking to build my friend a PC for around a 1000 bucks (no monitor, keyboard, windows, etc). Looking to play Overwatch and PubG probably at 1080/60. Is Ryzen the way to go at the moment or can he get a KabyLake i5? Probably going to get the 1050 Ti or 1060 for him.

I'm looking to build my friend a PC for around a 1000 bucks (no monitor, keyboard, windows, etc). Looking to play Overwatch and PubG probably at 1080/60. Is Ryzen the way to go at the moment or can he get a KabyLake i5? Probably going to get the 1050 Ti or 1060 for him.

I need to find a friend like you... s/

Seriously, though.

Will he be using the PC for anything other than gaming?

VoxPop

I need to find a friend like you... s/

Seriously, though.

Will he be using the PC for anything other than gaming?

Haha it's his money, not mine. He just knows nothing about building a PC. Probably nothing crazy intensive. Just the usual web browsing and Netflix.

Jabronium

Well, got home and back into the BIOS and found the VCORE SOC was up to 1.4V. Dropped it back down to default and my idles are around 39C now and upper 60's while Cinebenching. I did roll back to a previous BIOS, as my XMP profile wouldn't even boot on the newest.

Haha it's his money, not mine. He just knows nothing about building a PC. Probably nothing crazy intensive. Just the usual web browsing and Netflix.

I would probably get a ryzen 5 1600, overclock, it is a more versatile cpu. Put the extra money on a 1070 (1060 would be enough for your needs)

GAF I need your help.
I changed my RAM profile with the automatic settings to 2993Mhz (Asus Prime B350 plus), and in the BIOS it shows 2993, in CPU-Z not :
BED0L7Z.png

What does it mean?

So before I transfer my SSD between my old build and new build(DUE TUESDAY 8D 8D 8D I'm freaked out at the aspect of building it) anything I should know? Should I wipe the SSD? Or is it safe to just swap it in?

DDR = double data rate
That's how CPUZ shows it. Your speed is that x2

Ah thanks, so it's correct!

Another thing, I've overclocked my Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7 Ghz, and runned AIDA64 for stressing for 15min, everything seems fine but I'm worried about temperatures (stock cooler).
There's a difference of exactly 10°C between AIDA and HwMonitor.
Max temp for AIDA is 70°, HwMonitor shows 80 (with a peak of 90 for like, 1 sec).
Which should I trust?

70° with a stock cooler and 100% usage on all cores (which it's an extreme case) seems nice, don't know about 80° though

ISee

So before I transfer my SSD between my old build and new build(DUE TUESDAY 8D 8D 8D I'm freaked out at the aspect of building it) anything I should know? Should I wipe the SSD? Or is it safe to just swap it in?

If it is a non OS drive I just swap it and do nothing else. If it is supposed to be my boot SSD I swap it, format it (in the windows installer) and then install Windows.

Ah thanks, so it's correct!

Another thing, I've overclocked my Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7 Ghz, and runned AIDA64 for stressing for 15min, everything seems fine but I'm worried about temperatures (stock cooler).
There's a difference of exactly 10°C between AIDA and HwMonitor.
Max temp for AIDA is 70°, HwMonitor shows 80 (with a peak of 90 for like, 1 sec).
Which should I trust?

70° with a stock cooler and 100% usage on all cores (which it's an extreme case) seems nice, don't know about 80° though

I don't know which one is more accurate, but you can get a third program to compare. I use Real Temp. No installation needed.

It's the OS drive :X no way to just swap it, huh?

Well, you can, it just might have some complications due to driver compatibility and such. I swapped from an AMD FX CPU to an intel i7-6700k, and while it worked for a while, it was also such a mess of deleting and replacing drivers to make things work properly - somehow audio can screw over your framerate - that I really wouldn't recommend it.

Edit: Back up files to another drive if you can, and then copy them across once the new install is done.

Well, you can, it just might have some complications due to driver compatibility and such. I swapped from an AMD FX CPU to an intel i7-6700k, and while it worked for a while, it was also such a mess of deleting and replacing drivers to make things work properly - somehow audio can screw over your framerate - that I really wouldn't recommend it.

Edit: Back up files to another drive if you can, and then copy them across once the new install is done.

Yeah I figure I'ma do that. I'm just lazy =_=

I have till Tuesday when I go pick up my stuff.

accx

It's the OS drive :X no way to just swap it, huh?

Common practice is just do a fresh install when changing cpu/mobo/ram unless you're switching between the same architecture, in which case ymmv.
It might work but honestly you're saving yourself a whole lot of headache down the line with doing a clean install. It should just take you like 2 hours tops to back up everything, where as you might be looking at days or weeks of getting shit working without a fresh install.
I usually just backup local, roaming and documents. And some programs from program files that doesn't save their settings in local/roaming.

Get the Ryzen 1600. The 7600K is quickly going to become outdated with its 4-core 4-thread design and it's on a dead platform with the only upgrade path a 7700K.

u4ea

Yeah I figure I'ma do that. I'm just lazy =_=

I have till Tuesday when I go pick up my stuff.

I almost always recommend a clean install if possible. You'll spend a bit more time setting everything up but it will save you a lot of time later on as you don't need to look into strange driver incompatibilities and such.
The pc will also be faster as all of the old junk isn't running in the background.

The Ryzen 1600X will out perform the non-K i5

The i5 7600k will edge out the 1600k in gaming.

But, with Intel shifting to 6+ core consumer level CPUs in response to Ryzen soon, it's a safe bet that the number of games that use the extra cores is going to grow.

You'll see people on here saying that it doesn't matter and you can't future proof, and that's true to an extent. But people denied that quad cores would have an effect on the industry, then people denied that hyperthreading was worth buying in to... The point is, if something becomes a standard(especially with regard to extra performance available), the industry will start to use it. They already are using extra threads in the newer game engines. So, if he plans on keeping the CPU around for a while and doesn't have the interest in swapping parts himself, why buy the CPU that you know will have a distinct disadvantage with heavily threaded games? Next year, the baseline in Intel's lineup is going to be 6 core. Anything below that will be their bargain bin chips. 1600X has 12 threads, i5 has 4.

I don't know which one is more accurate, but you can get a third program to compare. I use Real Temp. No installation needed.

Ok I've lowered the CPU voltage a little and gained some better temps.
Tried this time with HwInfo64 since I've read it reads the temp directly from the MoBo and it has the same temperature as AIDA64, so 10-5° less than HwMonitor.

During the whole 1h20m of stress test the maximum temp was of 69° C, I guess that's quite good considering the stock cooler and that's an extreme case?

MikeBison

Ok I've lowered the CPU voltage a little and gained some better temps.
Tried this time with HwInfo64 since I've read it reads the temp directly from the MoBo and it has the same temperature as AIDA64, so 10-5° less than HwMonitor.

During the whole 1h20m of stress test the maximum temp was of 69° C, I guess that's quite good considering the stock cooler and that's an extreme case?

Seems a more than fine temp for an overclock.

RS4-

The $ difference between buying ryzen 5 + mobo over an Intel means you can probably go from a 1060 to a 1070.

Mrbob

Put my new computer together last night inside a Fractal Design Mesify C. Case made the build so easy. The case layout is great. In retrospect it might have been a little overkill to have the Noctua uh14s CPU cooler and two 140mm fans installed at the top of the case but it fits. Barely fits but it does and I still had room for cabling. Im thinking the Noctua UH12s with both 140mm top case fans would have probably have been enough. Definitely have maximum cooling right now though for dissipating heat from my cpu.

taoofjord

Recently got an Acer XB271HU and I love it. However, my desktop is now periodically rebooting. It's happened twice with Hellblade, every time I launched the game. And once with DOOM when I tried to quit to desktop. Very odd for it to happen at these points. Any Ideas?

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
i5-4690k
16GB DDR3
GTX 1080
PSU: 750

Could it be power related?

Bloodember

Recently got an Acer XB271HU and I love it. However, my desktop is now periodically rebooting. It’s happened twice with Hellblade, every time I launched the game. And once with DOOM when I tried to quit to desktop. Very odd for it to happen at these points. Any Ideas?

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
i5-4690k
16GB DDR3
GTX 1080
PSU: 750

Could it be power related?

What's your temps when it reboots?

Swarna

PUBG and Overwatch both see better frame rates (average and, especially important: minimums) on i5. PUBG in particular still drops below 60 on Ryzen 5 1600. That being said I still wouldn't get the KL i5 over Ryzen but you should really wait for the Coffeelake i5 which will be priced the same and have 2 extra cores since it's releasing so soon.

Mrbob

PUBG isn't the most optimized game at the very least. Don't you need at least a 1070 to stay above 60 minimum frame time?

Ryzen 1600 and gtx 1060 will be fine for Overwatch for 60fps gaming. Going to higher frame times (120-144 hz) is where the issue would be.

I wouldn't be afraid to put a mild overclock on that cpu either. Should be able to hit 3.6ghz with the stock cooler.

I opened up my laptop for a hard drive replacement and I think there's an m.2 slot on it. Is there any way I can find out for sure which slot it is? Like something to scan my computer for slots?

PUBG isn't the most optimized game at the very least. Don't you need at least a 1070 to stay above 60 minimum frame time?

Ryzen 1600 and gtx 1060 will be fine for Overwatch for 60fps gaming. Going to higher frame times (120-144 hz) is where the issue would be.

I wouldn't be afraid to put a mild overclock on that cpu either. Should be able to hit 3.6ghz with the stock cooler.
I have a ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler and overclocked to 3.6 with no issues at all. I could probably push to 3.8 to 3.9, but I would rather not

JEKKI

heyyyyy hello. I wanna build a computer soon, haven't done it since 2010 to play starcraft 2, so I picked these up today, did I do good??

gJEXIccl.jpg

basically, I went to the store (Microcenter) because I got an email that the i5 was $200... that a good price?

also, if you buy, you get $30 off a mother board.

The one I picked up wasn't the salesperson's first choice, he recommended Asus Z270-AR, because he said it can easily overclock, but it also had a bunch of fancy lights on it... what I bought was over $50 cheaper, still has the ability to overclock (albeit not as much as the Asus?), and doesnt include all these gaudy LED lights. I'm unsure if I even intend on overclocking, just want something to play new games that my current computer cannot.

lastly the cooler; it was $2 more expensive than the one with LED graphics. Again, don't care about that cosmetic stuff so I actually spent more money to get one without.

So yah... is my build OK so far?

because now I'm a bit concerned that the AMD Ryzen is the choice over the i5... should I go back and return the i5 for the AMD?

The one I bought is the 7800K. Again, $200 so I think I paid a good price? But they also have Ryzen 5 1600 for the same price, so is it worth an exchange or should I be good?

Thank you!!

Bloodember

heyyyyy hello. I wanna build a computer soon, haven't done it since 2010 to play starcraft 2, so I picked these up today, did I do good??

gJEXIccl.jpg

basically, I went to the store (Microcenter) because I got an email that the i5 was $200... that a good price?

also, if you buy, you get $30 off a mother board.

The one I picked up wasn't the salesperson's first choice, he recommended Asus Z270-AR, because he said it can easily overclock, but it also had a bunch of fancy lights on it... what I bought was over $50 cheaper, still has the ability to overclock (albeit not as much as the Asus?), and doesnt include all these gaudy LED lights. I'm unsure if I even intend on overclocking, just want something to play new games that my current computer cannot.

lastly the cooler; it was $2 more expensive than the one with LED graphics. Again, don't care about that cosmetic stuff so I actually spent more money to get one without.

So yah... is my build OK so far?

because now I'm a bit concerned that the AMD Ryzen is the choice over the i5... should I go back and return the i5 for the AMD?

The one I bought is the 7800K. Again, $200 so I think I paid a good price? But they also have Ryzen 5 1600 for the same price, so is it worth an exchange or should I be good?

Thank you!!

First you said you bought the 7800K, that's an I7 and won't fit that motherboard. If you don't plan on doing anything else than gaming you will be fine, except the wrong motherboard that is. That cooler isn't the greatest with Kaby Lake though, but it will work. The processor you say you have is the X series processor.

Edit: Didn't see the processor in the picture, for gaming it will be fine. still the same on the cooler though.

JEKKI

First you said you bought the 7800K, that's an I7 and won't fit that motherboard. If you don't plan on doing anything else than gaming you will be fine, except the wrong motherboard that is. That cooler isn't the greatest with Kaby Lake though, but it will work. The processor you say you have is the X series processor.
oh my back! yes, 7600K! so many different i5's, it's so confusing!

Like I want to buy a GTX 1060 I think? But there's so many of those too! What's the difference?

Also, the cooler master isnt good? What's a better one?

Also, I plan on doing other things like email, web surfing, winamp, netflix, amazon, excel, burning CDs, etc. So not just gaming.

Thanks.

Like I want to buy a GTX 1060 I think? But there's so many of those too! What's the difference?

Also, I plan on doing other things like email, web surfing, winamp, netflix, amazon, excel, burning CDs, etc. So not just gaming.

Thanks.

Any PC you build that can handle gaming will handle all that other stuff you listed at the bottom of your post.

A 1060 is a great mid-range card that can handle most games at 1080p fairly decently. Usually, EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI are good GPU brands, but look through some and post here so we can let you know if there are any specific concerns with your choice.

Bloodember

Thanks.

For what you want to do the I5 is good. The Cooler Master is old. But it is adequate for stock and a mild overclock.

NeoZylom

Can I have your opinion! (I'm noob at building PC). I only want to game on my PC. I don't care about video editing, streaming or whatever.

66M8IRNuQCWpYAqKlZh7BQ.png

Can I have your opinion! (I'm noob at building PC). I only want to game on my PC. I don't care about video editing, streaming or whatever.

66M8IRNuQCWpYAqKlZh7BQ.png

New Intel CPUs come out in a few weeks. If you can wait, for maybe $30 more you can get an 8600k. I'd say it's worth the wait, or go get a Ryzen 1600 instead of the 7600k.

Top Bottom