• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Sandfox

Totally agree. And Sandy is right. It’s all shortsighted moves. Whenever I hear shit about Marvel on the “inside” it’s always about some short term deal they have to make because another deal fell through or something.

Like this Northrop thing. I mean, damn. I wouldn’t be surprised if spiking this pushes whatever is supposed to happen after Legacy another quarter because they just had to eat half a million bucks.

That would suck since editorial apparently had nothing to do with that.

I wouldn't really call any of the stuff we see "random" good or bad. The thing is Marvel puts a lot of focus on what will make them the most money in the short term while ignoring the long term and it's the cause of a lot of the complaints people have with them. Retailers are getting fed up and we're seeing stuff like Marvel bringing back their biggest heroes, so 2018 will be an interesting year for Marvel good or bad.

See, the thing is, they don't even do that. Remember when Deadpool and the Mercs for Money was poised to be the hottest property on earth? I don't, but Marvel thought they were, and they gave 'em each a solo series. And now we're getting it again for Weapon H. Stuff like that and the Northrup-Grumman deal are two sides of the same coin, although obviously the NG thing is on another plane of despicability.

Vic_Viper

I wouldn't really call any of the stuff we see "random" good or bad. The thing is Marvel puts a lot of focus on what will make them the most money in the short term while ignoring the long term and it's the cause of a lot of the complaints people have with them. Retailers are getting fed up and we're seeing stuff like Marvel bringing back their biggest heroes, so 2018 will be an interesting year for Marvel good or bad.

See, the thing is, they don't even do that. Remember when Deadpool and the Mercs for Money was poised to be the hottest property on earth? I don't, but Marvel thought they were, and they gave 'em each a solo series. And now we're getting it again for Weapon H. Stuff like that and the Northrup-Grumman deal are two sides of the same coin, although obviously the NG thing is on another plane of despicability.

Its the Speculator market that these new series are selling too. Each new #1 gets massive sales along with all the specialty covers. But then anything after the first issue completely drops off and just doesnt sell. Sandfox is right in that thinking. There is no long term goal for most of these series anymore.

Sandfox

Its the Speculator market that these new series are selling too. Each new #1 gets massive sales along with all the specialty covers. But then anything after the first issue completely drops off and just doesnt sell. Sandfox is right in that thinking. There is no long term goal for most of these series anymore.

It also plays into how Marvel been milking Deadpool dry in the past few years with things like minis and price bumped issues.

MG310

Here's the sketches.

Zatanna by Laura Braga
22310141_10155006903468061_6060306477910449228_n.jpg
Harley by GenevieveFT
Nightwing by TIm Seeley
Ventriloquist by Riley Rossmo
Jubilee by Joe Quinones
Spiral vogue-ing by Sara Richard
Captain Marvel by Brent Schoonover

Still have the auction stuff to take pics of. Not a Messi tier haul but pretty happy with it :D

ComicsGate is nothing more than a circle jerk of low follower accounts buying into their own hype.

Motherfuckers think they're starting a revolution. LOL

Messi

Here's the sketches.

Zatanna by Laura Braga

Harley by GenevieveFT

Nightwing by TIm Seeley

Jubilee by Joe Quinones

Still have the auction stuff to take pics of. Not a Messi tier haul but pretty happy with it :D

Nice haul you have there. How much was the Zatanna. I never seen Laura's full price list.

Did anyone read the Black Eyed Peas comic?

It's pretty stupid to be a Marvel exclusive comic retail in 2017.
Did you read the Black Eyed Peas book? Did you even know they had a book with Marvel?
Not the same thing! Completely different!
I heard the SoCal region has a lot of comic stores that are heavily Marvel focused. I imagine the ones that are so vocal in their racism and homophobia are the ones running those comic shops.
Racism and homophobia, typical SoCal exclusive behavior
Here's the sketches.

Zatanna by Laura Braga

Harley by GenevieveFT

Nightwing by TIm Seeley

Jubilee by Joe Quinones

Awesome!!!

MG310

Nice haul you have there. How much was the Zatanna. I never seen Laura's full price list.

290 11x17 inked

https://www.laurabraga.com/commissions/

Here's the auction stuff.

Jen Bartel Bucky/Widow
Andrew Griffith Back to the Future variant cover
BIlly Tucci Darkness
Phillip Sevy Tomb Raider
Paul Renaud Wonder Woman: Steve Trevor cover

1000 total. The bidding is incredibly unpredictable every year. I only paid 175 for that Jen Bartel and can't figure out how that happened.
Maybe Bucky was too pretty for them?

mreddie

Don't remind me Bucky and Nat can't get together because SUPERCOUPLES CAN'T STAY TOGETHER also the obvious Widow is dead despite getting ready to being in the biggest Marvel movie in recent memory and Spencer's bullshit KOBIK CAN'T BRING HER BACK TO LIFE

1000 total. The bidding is incredibly unpredictable every year. I only paid 175 for that Jen Bartel and can't figure out how that happened.
Maybe Bucky was too pretty for them?

That's wild., the Bartel is easily my favorite of those auction pieces

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, just read Legacy and now I'm wondering what comes next. I thought there was going to be another mini-event or something but the checklist at the end is, like, 20 issues from pretty much every on-going Marvel has. They can't really expect people to buy all of those issues to get some loose connective story, right? Right?...

Sandfox

So, just read Legacy and now I'm wondering what comes next. I thought there was going to be another mini-event or something but the checklist at the end is, like, 20 issues from pretty much every on-going Marvel has. They can't really expect people to buy all of those issues to get some loose connective story, right? Right?...

Certain things like the stuff with Tony will obviously be picked in the character's respective books, but Aaron is working on something for Legacy that hasn't been announced yet.

Don't remind me Bucky and Nat can't get together because SUPERCOUPLES CAN'T STAY TOGETHER also the obvious Widow is dead despite getting ready to being in the biggest Marvel movie in recent memory and Spencer's bullshit KOBIK CAN'T BRING HER BACK TO LIFE
I fully expect her to be back at the end of that Tales of Suspense mini they announced that’s one of the few new Legacy books. Probably wearing a wig.

caliph95

KOBIK power is below the power of *insert cosmic being that represents creators/editors here*

In a tantrum she killed and revived Moonstone

Finally finished Y: The Last Man..the ending was....eh? Don't know to how to feel. Felt like Yorick
deserved a happier ending considering everything he had been through. Wish it worked out with Beth 2.

Some stuff threw me off guard like
Beth 1 and Hero getting together.
which came outta nowhere.

Ampleseed
dying was def the saddest part of the entire story.

I guess this story ran out of steam for me 40 issues in. Having just read the finale, I guess I didn't like it all that much.

Off to start Preacher! (I know it'll be heavy :3 )

Some Nobody

I fucken knew it

What a grade a ding dong

Newsflash, Ryan Higgins, if that is your real name, there’s racist dickweeds everywhere and they read all kinds of books (although they all skip the same ones lol)

"If that is your real name" ? Lmao. Dude. Chill. Ryan's been running a shop for like a decade plus now. I don't think he's operating under an assumed name.

Totally agree. And Sandy is right. It’s all shortsighted moves. Whenever I hear shit about Marvel on the “inside” it’s always about some short term deal they have to make because another deal fell through or something.

Like this Northrop thing. I mean, damn. I wouldn’t be surprised if spiking this pushes whatever is supposed to happen after Legacy another quarter because they just had to eat half a million bucks.

...Doubtful. You don't push Marvel's "Rebirth" three months into the future if Legacy falls on its face. You're bleeding money from a lost deal, but if readers are leaving you'll just lose it faster.

Marvel is already hilariously in the position that racists and homophobes think they don't do enough, while super liberal people think they aren't trying hard enough to be diverse either. They've gotta figure something out.

Mindwipe

Finally finished Y: The Last Man..the ending was....eh? Don't know to how to feel. Felt like Yorick
deserved a happier ending considering everything he had been through. Wish it worked out with Beth 2.

Some stuff threw me off guard like
Beth 1 and Hero getting together.
which came outta nowhere.

Ampleseed
dying was def the saddest part of the entire story.

I guess this story ran out of steam for me 40 issues in. Having just read the finale, I guess I didn't like it all that much.

Off to start Preacher! (I know it'll be heavy :3 )

There was an awful lot of drama about Y's ending at the time (simpler times!). I kinda like it, but lots of people feel like you do.

Some Nobody

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/jyvxPgn.jpg[/img]

damn.

Lol. Good issue, but they should just let Thor get a freaking hammer instead of trying so hard for Jane Thor to be the only Thor.

Sidenote: all these people bitching about Thor being a woman should realize it's their fault. It's not a great idea, but Marvel tried to push Sif in that great Kathryn Immonen Journey into Mystery series but they didn't go for it. Fans only care if it's a BIG change.

Some Nobody

Motor Crush and Mother Panic feel aesthetically similar.

Also, I think I don't care about Rat Queens anymore.

....Do they? Could you go into a bit more detail? I feel like I pulled away from Mother Panic because the art was kinda...not my thing. (I try not to trash creators.) But it's kinda gritty and reminds me of like some 90's Vertigo art. Motor Crush is like...that incredibly unique Babs Tarr art that's like this perfect Western/manga-esque fusion.

caliph95

Motor Crush and Mother Panic feel aesthetically similar.

Also, I think I don't care about Rat Queens anymore.

....Do they? Could you go into a bit more detail? I feel like I pulled away from Mother Panic because the art was kinda...not my thing. (I try not to trash creators.) But it's kinda gritty and reminds me of like some 90's Vertigo art. Motor Crush is like...that incredibly unique Babs Tarr art that's like this perfect Western/manga-esque fusion.
Yeah I don't feel the similarities between the two besides having flawed female leads

Malyse

Yeah I don't feel the similarities between the two besides having flawed female leads

Read the last issues of both back to back and got the same vibe from both. Dunno. Hard edged rockstar queer female leads who are not in control of their life or situation and hiding really big secrets from the world that would shatter the public' opinion of them if it got out. Also cool bikes.

Also, I still want a Crystal and Karnak comic.

What the fuck is Snotgirl even?

dan2026

Lol. Good issue, but they should just let Thor get a freaking hammer instead of trying so hard for Jane Thor to be the only Thor.

Sidenote: all these people bitching about Thor being a woman should realize it's their fault. It's not a great idea, but Marvel tried to push Sif in that great Kathryn Immonen Journey into Mystery series but they didn't go for it. Fans only care if it's a BIG change.
Thor Odinson should regain his hammer and status again.
They can always give Jane another hammer like they did for Bill.
There is room for two Thors. But we need the OG back. It's been too long.

Some Nobody

Read the last issues of both back to back and got the same vibe from both. Dunno. Hard edged rockstar queer female leads who are not in control of their life or situation and hiding really big secrets from the world that would shatter the public' opinion of them if it got out. Also cool bikes.

Nah I'm sold. That's a solid argument. Thanks for the input! I'm not reading either atm, but I think it's great that there are so many queer characters at the forefront of comics like that.

caliph95

Ok that's fair I can see that

For Snot girl ask messi

Weiss

Banned

It's Single White Female meets Perfect Blue.

Top Bottom