• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erudite

Interesting.. They seem to have removed Sacred 2 from the store recently.. Stealth NA launch of the version with the expansion in it?

commissar

it's far too easy to buy things off steam D:

on the upside I always kind of wanted to play quake 1

(also the ball, amnesia and gifting kl2)

Sh1ner

Blablurn said:
One more GB to go. Can't wait to play Crysis.

Do yourself a favour and grab the Custom Crysis Config tool, it makes the game look amazing as well as offering better frame rates.

The latest version I found is from this thread:
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

Only working download link from the page:
http://www.filefront.com/11304950/C.U.D.A.A.T.S.-CCC-2.21/

Install the AI for Hard/Delta (its an option in the CCC installer) if your good at shooters, the game can be played at extreme ranges and the vanilla AI kinda breaks making the game not as fun. I played it last night with the hard AI and the game just feels so much better and more challenging. I have had to use my suit powers in so many varied ways compared to my original stealth and camo sneak play through since it is much harder to pull off.

The greatest thing of the modded AI is the actually track you down, if you run away with maximum speed, a few of them will sprint towards your last known position. This has become my GOTY of 2010 even if it didn't come out this year! :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Still got 4 more days of sales :O

Decided on The Ball(Demo was decent, but it's Tripwire and I'm sure I'll be able to kill 5-6 hours playing it). And Amnesia... Which as I said, I'll probably legitimately never be able to play. It took me an entire weekend to get pass the first Zombie in REmake, and I quit CV right at the first door. Going through SH2 was a multiple month long progress. Hell, the first part of Crysis even scared me.

But the Gaf good word of mouth has pushed me over, and that by chance, if the day is bright enough and I have someone holding my hand. Maybe I'll play it.

Petrie

Banned
shintoki said:

Decided on The Ball(Demo was decent, but it's Tripwire and I'm sure I'll be able to kill 5-6 hours playing it). And Amnesia... Which as I said, I'll probably legitimately never be able to play. It took me an entire weekend to get pass the first Zombie in REmake, and I quit CV right at the first door. Going through SH2 was a multiple month long progress. Hell, the first part of Crysis even scared me.

But the Gaf good word of mouth has pushed me over, and that by chance, if the day is bright enough and I have someone holding my hand. Maybe I'll play it.

Seriously, I never had any clue people were so scared of these horror games. When did this happen and how did I miss it?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Petrie said:
Seriously, I never had any clue people were so scared of these horror games. When did this happen and how did I miss it?
No, I'm just a pussy when it comes to horror stuff, or better to say, tension. It's very easy for someone like me to get caught in a mood.

Psy-Phi

shintoki said:

4 days, I'm dreading it :p. Spent too much money so far, on more games than I could possibly hope to have time to play. This sale resets my backlog every year and I keep coming back.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
shintoki said:
No, I'm just a pussy when it comes to horror stuff, or better to say, tension. It's very easy for someone like me to get caught in a mood.
Amnesia will fuck you up. I'm not joking.

Petrie

Banned
When doing the "exec 360controller" in developer console to enable a controller, do I have to do it every single time I boot up the game? No way to just save it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just gave "The Void" a try for awhile (from the indie fright pack)...

Exactly what combination of hallucinogenic drugs do I need to be on before this starts making a lick of sense? Serious WTF on that one.

Sinatar said:
Just gave "The Void" a while (from the indie fright pack)...

Exactly what combination of hallucinogenic drugs do I need to be on before this starts making a lick of sense? Serious WTF on that one.

Yeah, I never got very far into the Void - bizarre game.

Out of all the games in that pack, the one I've actually played the most is The Path, which is surprising as it has little in the way of gameplay or goals - I just love the dreamy, ethereal and creepy atmosphere.

seady

How supportive is Steam for adding Steam Play (for Mac compatibility) on the PC games?

I am a Mac guy, and there are a lot of games I want to get, but many of them are PC only at the moment on Steam (despite there are Mac version of it available elsewhere, like SimCity 4 for example).

Man, does SC4 run like crap on anyone elses PC? It's weird, back in 2003 or so I ran the game fine on my old ass computer (that's a lie, I actually had to upgrade but still) now my 2.8Ghz Dual Core with all the fixings seems to be running it rather sloppy. It's not unplayable but not as fast and smooth as I'd think would be.

Also, the game seemed to completely freeze when I saved my city... I ended up force quitting - hopefully not a regular problem.

seady said:
How supportive is Steam for adding Steam Play (for Mac compatibility) on the PC games?

I am a Mac guy, and there are a lot of games I want to get, but many of them are PC only at the moment on Steam (despite there are Mac version of it available elsewhere, like SimCity 4 for example).

Retroactive support (other than from Valve themself) is fairly unlikely, but newer titles incorporating steamworks seem to be pretty good about making titles steamplay.

Kaizen

Houston3000 said:
Man, does SC4 run like crap on anyone elses PC? It's weird, back in 2003 or so I ran the game fine on my old ass computer (that's a lie, I actually had to upgrade but still) now my 2.8Ghz Dual Core with all the fixings seems to be running it rather sloppy. It's not unplayable but not as fast and smooth as I'd think would be.

Runs great for me (Win7 64bit, 2Ghz Dual Core) but I found this:

There are a few common causes for bad performance, but know this - SimCity 4 is just as much of a system hog now as it was back then. Abnormally bad performance can be caused by:
1) ATi cards, specifically the Catalyst drivers. I'm pretty sure there are some versions that work alright, but I do not own an ATi card so somebody else will have to clarify. Try running the game in Software Rendering mode.
2) Multithreaded CPUs. These can make SC4 act really weird (on XP at least, Vista seems to work fine.) If you have issues, try starting SC4, alt tabbing out, hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, right clicking the Simcity 4 process and choosing "Set Affinity." Untick all boxes except CPU 0. I believe you have to do this every time you play the game, which is a pain in the arse.
3) Road Top Mass Transit mod. The methods that this mod uses to place bus stops and the like on top of your roads are somewhat of a hack - it's really just a regular building that lets traffic pass through it. This means that every time a sim passes through the building, their route is recalculated. This can bring a city to its knees, and can even lead to abandonment as the pathfinder gives up on finding routes.
4) Shadows kill performance. Turn them to low and enjoy tolerable framerates again!

Steeven

Stabby McSter said:
While I didn't exactly get Chime during the holiday sale, hot damn this game is addicting.

Chime is really awesome. I bought two copies and gifted one to my girlfriend, who likes it too.

Nabs

seady said:

it's all up to the developer/publisher.

Tried out the Amnesia demo, played quite well on my prehistoric rig (P4 3.2Ghz, Radeon X850)...but when I reached the end of the demo (archives or something?) the graphics were buggy as hell, there was like a second layer full of glitches hovering over my screen.

Hmm I guess I'll pass for now, there's still plenty games I'll grab down the line anyway (VVVVV, Geometry Wars and Sid Meier's Pirates).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else experiencing Machinarium for the first time?

If it wasn't for Steam, I probably would never even have heard of it, let alone bought it (in the sale, mind).

I find it hard to get into the old point-and-clicks no matter how much people praise them, or how much I enjoyed the genre back in the day.

But this is absolutely lovely. I am so captivated by every little movement on screen, and the music is beautifully fitting. The puzzles are tricky, and it's got that great point-and-click sense of urgency even though your character can't die or anything.

What a perfect accompaniment to leftover turkey sandwiches and mince pies, and a charming change of pace to everything else I've been playing over the holidays.

Tl;dr: Machinarium comes highly recommended!

fanboi

Banned
Sh1ner said:
Do yourself a favour and grab the Custom Crysis Config tool, it makes the game look amazing as well as offering better frame rates.

Install the AI for Hard/Delta (its an option in the CCC installer) if your good at shooters, the game can be played at extreme ranges and the vanilla AI kinda breaks making the game not as fun. I played it last night with the hard AI and the game just feels so much better and more challenging. I have had to use my suit powers in so many varied ways compared to my original stealth and camo sneak play through since it is much harder to pull off.

The greatest thing of the modded AI is the actually track you down, if you run away with maximum speed, a few of them will sprint towards your last known position. This has become my GOTY of 2010 even if it didn't come out this year! :D

If they can make Warhead work on Win 7 x64 :( I would be happy...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
echoshifting said:
First person to quote me with their best zombie impression gets a copy of Plants vs. Zombies... :D

I know somebody out there hasn't played this yet.
HHHHHHHRHGBBMMMAHGHGG!

KuroNeeko

echoshifting said:
First person to quote me with their best zombie impression gets a copy of Plants vs. Zombies... :D

I know somebody out there hasn't played this yet.

I have this game on the PC and 360 (with a full 200 / 200) on the latter. Don't pass this opportunity up - this game is awesome.

Veidt

echoshifting said:
All yours! What's your Steam ID?

edit: Never mind, I'll assume it's Veidt...just accept my friend request and I will send it your way.

it's something else!:lol

Veidt

Well, you weren't entirely wrong.

It's my old GAF username.

Xapati

Sinatar said:

It's a fascinating game, but documentation is crap. I suggest you read the FAQ:

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8932

and search for how to do the donation glyph on youtube, because failing that = you are screwed. Actually the game is retardedly hard, with you being able to screw yourself in so many different ways and only realising it an hour or more later. There is an easy patch out there (scroll down a bit):

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9270&sid=b57d2f78d4afce6e46d95057c8f5ab3b&start=25

which is essential.

Also the game seems to be poorly optimised as I get tearing no matter what I try, which is why I stopped half way through.

Sinatar said:

I bought it a few months ago when it was on sale due to GAF hype and gave up on it soon after. Just too out there for me and was difficult as hell.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gibbo said:
Guys, how does Indiana Jones :Fate of the Atlantis hold up to this day? Thinking of getting that on steam.

Its still a fantastic game. If they didnt screw up compatibilities with newer machines its a must buy for everyone. Possibly the whole pack if you havent played two of the 4 games in it.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/

2 Indianas (fantastic + good)
Loom (fantastic)
The Dig (fantastic)

IrishNinja

yeah, couldn't say no to that price, and indy's the only one ive ever seen.

seriously, is lucasarts just stupid or are there licensing reasons to explain why the other monkey islands, maniac mansion/DOTT, full throttle, sam & max etc aren't on steam? we'd all buy them, and even if they wanted to do HD remakes later on, they'd get bought again.

also, @ The Void: i was interested in it from philosophy stuff id heard, still not given it a proper go but i recall reading there's a mod to make it far easier/more playable.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
IrishNinja said:
yeah, couldn't say no to that price, and indy's the only one ive ever seen.

seriously, is lucasarts just stupid or are there licensing reasons to explain why the other monkey islands, maniac mansion/DOTT, full throttle, sam & max etc aren't on steam? we'd all buy them, and even if they wanted to do HD remakes later on, they'd get bought again.

Youve ever seen? Awwww. You are in for a treat with The Dig and Loom.

Diebuster

Sh1ner said:

Oh man, I don't know what kind of voodoo magic this is using, but it is a godsend. I was thinking of lowering some settings to get better performance, but now it's not necessary. :D

Toma

Okay, here's my daily CivCity: Rome (the game most of you overlook, even though it only costs you 1$/€) appreciation report.

For those who missed the first parts:
Impressions 1
Impressions 2

New impressions!

2dkwzr5.jpg

This was my city layout for my current city after I finished the level. Actually I finished the level a bit earlier and stayed in that level to polish up my city design a bit.
My biggest complaint was/is that the mapsize is capped at a relatively small size due to (so I heard) engine limitations. Well, the developers sure made a good job at hiding this problem (Take a look what landsize I actually used in the minimap). Starting level 3 you get the chance to stack an apartment on top of a shop, which basically gives you approximately 1/4 more free space in living quarters (which doesnt sound alot but trust me, it is) plus some researches that frees you from the need to have certain facilites directly next to the living quarters, which gave me enough space to build a small nice park area to satisfy their "garden" needs.
Something else which is working surprisingly seemlessly is the trading mechanics for goods you cannot obtain on your own.
In this level they also finally introduced the "fighting" mechanics. The game reminds me more and more of the old settlers games in terms of supply chains and simplified combat. You build a fortress, get the iron, work the iron into weapons and soldiers are being deployed to your fortress. I need to admit that this is a bit simple and I really hope they give me better improvements (different ore?, different weapons?) later in the game. I saw a varied choice of troops on some screenshots so there definitely should be more going on than what I could see so far. If you have hostile cities in a level they might send soldiers to attack you, where you need to deploy your soldiers in your city so that the enemies wont destroy your buildings. If you feel comfortable enough you can also send your troops to the hostile city and conquer it for the roman empire. As I said, relatively simple but it is definitely working well and is not distacting you too much from your really well executed main gameplay task : Building your city.

Anyway, seriously, buy this game. For 1$/€ its laughably cheap. Oh and something else. If you never played any of these games, this might be even better. My gf and all the gaffers who have their first experiences with these kind of games are positively surprised. Pretty good entry point for the impressions style City builders it seems.

If you are in a country that doesnt sell this game, dont run away. We'll figure something out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3980/

Toma

Additionally, is there anyone who would buy the 5$ LucasArts Adventure Pack for me? I can gift you back something in the price range up to 5 € now or in the sale tonight.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/

In my store I can only see them individually for 1,99€. Which comes out at about 10$ for all of them.

Nabs

fanboi said:
When I try loading the first level, it stops at 81% :/

Do you have an ATI card? Try disabling Catalyst AI in CCC. If that doesn't work, try forcing DX9 in "Launch Options" by adding -dx9.

Hopefully that fixes your problem. That's all I found from a quick google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom