• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Spring Sale is live

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Time to sell PS4/PS5 copies of games I already own on PC (or will buy at some point when the price is right) and since there's PC ports available.

fi6QruN.jpeg

With each year, there's less and less reasons to own a PS5. It's goddamn sad, really. But then again, I'll be playing the best versions of these games for the most part.

Also....

giphy.gif

You should compare the price on isthereanydeal.com if you don't mind different refund policy.

Returnal is cheaper on indiegala and gamebillet than Steam

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You should compare the price on isthereanydeal.com if you don't mind different refund policy.

Returnal is cheaper on indiegala and gamebillet than Steam
:messenger_weary:

SWIFT is not working in Russia thanks to goddamn Putin and his fascist regime, which is terrorizing Ukraine and the Russian people:messenger_pouting::messenger_fire:
I used to buy steam keys on Fanatical, but as you can guess, it's not an option anymore as well and feels like an ancient history:messenger_pensive:

ssringo

Fantastic old school side scrolling action rpg with an enjoyable gameplay loop. Lots of gear that you're encouraged to use because mastering gear (just wearing it while you kill enemies) gives you skills and such. You can only equip so many skills but as you grow stronger you can equip more and more. Skills range from mundane stuff like showing enemy stats, to double jumps, faster weapon swings, and much more. It really captures that feeling of going from lowly adventurer beating up slimes to god slaying badass. The story is good and enjoyable with some nice twists but there's also several instances of "oh, you want to know why ___? it just is, don't worry about it, moving on". Which I actually found funny. The DLC came out very recently which adds a roguelite dungeon crawl and it also adds to the story and sets it up for the next DLC.

It's also LONG. I did a single clear of the main story and the DLC story (doing nearly everything possible) and my playtime is at 83.6 hours. Well worth the price.

Last edited:

ArtHands

:messenger_weary:

SWIFT is not working in Russia thanks to goddamn Putin and his fascist regime, which is terrorizing Ukraine and the Russian people:messenger_pouting::messenger_fire:
I used to buy steam keys on Fanatical, but as you can guess, it's not an option anymore as well and feels like an ancient history:messenger_pensive:

That’s too bad

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
There are still games that only comes out on consoles....
5RJrEMG.gif
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I still haven't sold my PS5, bc it's the only way to play some of the games early or if some of them (like Vanilla games) will never even be available on other platforms. I won't be upgrading to the PS5 Pro since I've a PC for that which is faster and better.

I wonder if we'll see Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian on PC, bc if we're not talking about Dragon's Crown Pro and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (which won't be available on other platforms, unless ATLUS and SEGA decide to port them to PC/Xbox/Switch), pretty much everything else worth porting is either already in the works / officially announced / if we can trust rumors - original God of War trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, Gravity Rush 2 (but not the first one? c'mon!), Until Dawn remake, or PS4 games that are left is either not worth the effort at all (InFamous, Killzone, Knack etc.) or won't even be ported ever (The Order 1886, Ratchet & Clank Reboot, Alien Nation, Matterfall, Resogun, Dreams, Concrete Genie etc.).

At this point it's 100% guaratee that every 1st party PS5 game will be released on PC 1-2 years later and some 3rd party ones not even half a year later, but again those PS4 games I've mentioned holding me back from selling the console. If we're lucky, we'll probably get Bloodborne remaster closer to the end of the PS5's lifecycle, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for this one. If Sony is smart (of which I doubt), they'll remake the whole Killzone Trilogy and it'll sell like gangbusters even on the PS5 cuz 1) It's one of the best games ever (sue me, haters), 2) Sony literally don't have FPS games in their catalog since PS4's Killzone failure 3) It'll absolutely destroy Steam charts on the PC.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I still haven't sold my PS5, bc it's the only way to play some of the games early or if some of them (like Vanilla games) will never even be available on other platforms. I won't be upgrading to the PS5 Pro since I've a PC for that which is faster and better.

I wonder if we'll see Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian on PC, bc if we're not talking about Dragon's Crown Pro and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (which won't be available on other platforms, unless ATLUS and SEGA decide to port them to PC/Xbox/Switch), pretty much everything else worth porting is either already in the works / officially announced / if we can trust rumors - original God of War trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, Gravity Rush 2 (but not the first one? c'mon!), Until Dawn remake, or PS4 games that are left is either not worth the effort at all (InFamous, Killzone, Knack etc.) or won't even be ported ever (The Order 1886, Ratchet & Clanck Reboot, Alien Nation, Matterfall, Resogun, Dreams, Concrete Genie etc.).

At this point it's 100% guaratee that every 1st party PS5 game will be released on PC 1-2 years later and some 3rd party ones not even half a year later, but again those PS4 games I've mentioned holding me back from selling the console. If we're lucky, we'll probably get Bloodborne remaster closer to the end of the PS5's lifecycle, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for this one. If Sony is smart (of which I doubt), they'll remake the whole Killzone Trilogy and it'll sell like gangbusters even on the PS5 cuz 1) It's one of the best games ever (sue me, haters), 2) Sony literally don't have FPS games in their catalog since PS4's Killzone failure 3) It'll absolutely destroy Steam charts on the PC.
I myself keeping my PS5 mostly for 3rd party games, this gen I'm not their biggest fan when it comes to their first party selections.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I myself keeping my PS5 mostly for 3rd party games, this gen I'm not their biggest fan when it comes to their first party selections.
This is the biggest issue I have with the PS5 (so far) and the PS4 tbh.

This gen so far is only Demon's Souls and TLOU remake, Horizon II, Returnal and Ratchet. That's like.... one 1st party game per year, we're 4 years in the PS5's life cycle aready and rumors about remasters are not helping things at all, even if I would kill for God of War Trilogy with modern visuals for example. That's not a good sign.

I like modern God of War when it comes to art and setting, the way conversation and set piece are staged, presented etc., but everything else is complete shit and especially combat and world exploration and level design. Ghost is really good looking game, but gameplay / combat-wise it's super easy and boring af, open world is not so great too. I liked the first Spider-Man game when it comes to the main story and Silver Sable DLC which were fantastic, but open world stuff as a whole is super dated, boring or cringe and the combat gets old 30% the way through the game just bc how much of it is in the game in comparison to much, MUCH better Batman Arkham games.

I mean, not every game should be for me or for everyone for that matter, I get that, that's the reality of life, but if we'll go down deep into what Sony is now, we'll realize that PS just don't have genre divercity as they used to in PS2 and PS3 era, not even close and that's not to mention 1st party release output. What's even worse is that they're doing absolutely nothing to fix this unlike MS and it's not console war thing, it's just a simple fact. They're trying somewhat with the 3rd party, but I'm talking about 1st party and their own studios and those 3rd party game are only timed exclusives (unless it's Vanilla games).

It's so strange to see this shift in their strategy and lack of 1st party releases which were a problem at the end of PS4's life cycle even. I'm sure they know all this too bc if it wasn't for everything that I've mentioned, we would never have seen Sony's games on PC, never. By releasing their games on PC and making remasters / remakes, they're trying to somewhat fix their problems and I wonder how long this strategy of theirs will last until they'll face the facts - genre variety and 1st party release output needs to be significantly better, but at that point it might be already too late for them. We'll see:messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Quasicat

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for only 4 bucks
I’m tempted to pick this one up, but that EA loader really sucks. I bought Mass Effect on the last sale and the only way I could play it was to turn off 2fa (which I hate doing) in order to log in to play it. $4 is probably low enough for me to pick it up, but realistically, the EA loader gets in the way. Simce I need to be online anyway, I may as well play it on Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Only thing I've picked up:

I have pretty much everything I want in general that doesn't warrant an impulse buy from a too-good-to-pass up sale.

This is the biggest issue I have with the PS5 (so far) and the PS4 tbh.

This gen so far is only Demon's Souls and TLOU remake, Horizon II, Returnal and Ratchet. That's like.... one 1st party game per year, we're 4 years in the PS5's life cycle aready and rumors about remasters are not helping things at all, even if I would kill for God of Wart Trilogy with modern visuals for example. That's not a good sign.

I like modern God of War when it comes to art and setting, but everything else is complete shit and especially combat and world exploration and level design. Ghost is really good looking game, but gameplay / cpmbat-wise it's super easy and boring af, open world is not so great too. I liked the first Spider-Man game when it comes to the main story and Silver Sable DLC which were fantastic, but open world stuff as a whole is super dated, boring or cringe and the combat gets old 30% the way through the game just bc how much of it is in the game in comparisons to much, MUCH better Batman Arkham games.

I mean, not every game should be for me or for everyone for that matter, I get that, that's the reality of life, but if we'll go down deep into what Sony is now, we'll realize that PS just don't have genre divercity as they used to in PS2 and PS3 era, not even close and that's not to mention 1st party release output. What's even worse is that they're doing absolutely nothing to fix this unlike MS and it's not console war thing, it's just a simple fact. They're trying somewhat with the 3rd party, but I'm talking about 1st party and their own studios and those 3rd party game are only timed exclusives (unless it's Vanilla games).

It's so strange to see this shift in their strategy and lack of 1st party releases which were a problem at the end of PS4's life cycle even. I'm sure they know all this too bc if it wasn't for everything that I've mentioned, we would never have seen Sony's games on PC, never. By releasing their games on PC and making remasters / remakes, they're trying to somewhat fix their problems and I wonder how long this strategy of theirs will last until they'll face the facts - genre variety and 1st party release output needs to be significantly better, but at that point it might be already too late for them. We'll see:messenger_relieved:
This has been the easiest generation of consoles to sit out I've ever experienced in my 30 years of console gaming. For all intents and purposes I've managed to get every consoles since the PS1/N64 era onwards and only this one have I not been there to pick up the consoles day 1. Nintendo's shit has been about the only console's I'll buy going forward if they show no signs of coming to PC. I'd probably pick up a "current" gen console if it was super cheap, but other than that, there's not great reasons to own either PS5 and especially the Series X.

Last edited:

Södy

Think about triple dipping on MCC (bought the XBOX One release in 2014 and PC release in 2019 in the MS Store) for the mod support.

Think about triple dipping on MCC (bought the XBOX One release in 2014 and PC release in 2019 in the MS Store) for the mod support.
What mods are you checking out? I've been watching a few videos on campaign mods, but I'm not sure which ones to really dig into. I'd love to play a co-op modded campaign playthrough of a Halo: CE and Halo 3.

Sentenza

PSA: If you haven't bought the C&C games yet, FUCKING DO IT (you can get them in a bundle):

Bonus: I really like C&C Renegade:

RIP Westwood Studios, you were the GOATS:
large1497456866westwood.jpg
They were, and not just for C&C.
In fact EA killed them precisely by turning the entire studio (that up to that point was known precisely for the astonishing variety and quality of their lineup) in an assembly line of tired C&C pseudo-sequels.

There are still games that only comes out on consoles....
5RJrEMG.gif
Perfectly playable on PC right now, hilariously enough.
Nintendo may have killed Yuzu, but it didn't nuke its existence out of the internet.

Last edited:
Only thing I've picked up:

I have pretty much everything I want in general that doesn't warrant an impulse buy from a too-good-to-pass up sale.

This has been the easiest generation of consoles to sit out I've ever experienced in my 30 years of console gaming. For all intents and purposes I've managed to get every consoles since the PS1/N64 era onwards and only this one have I not been there to pick up the consoles day 1. Nintendo's shit has been about the only console's I'll buy going forward if they show no signs of coming to PC. I'd probably pick up a "current" gen console if it was super cheap, but other than that, there's not great reasons to own either PS5 and especially the Series X.

PS5 was a great value back in 2020. PC parts were more expensive than ever and the PS5 collection (free games with the console) made it a no brainer. But with Sony releasing more games on PC than ever before, if you already have a quality gaming PC I don’t see much point in getting a PS5.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This has been the easiest generation of consoles to sit out I've ever experienced in my 30 years of console gaming. For all intents and purposes I've managed to get every consoles since the PS1/N64 era onwards and only this one have I not been there to pick up the consoles day 1.
I bought PS5 ~6 months or so after launch, but I haven't bought PS4 at all and haven't played any PS4 games at that time except Horizon on PC, so it was more than worth it for me cuz I had a good selection of PS4 games to play and on a way better hardware:messenger_relieved:
Nintendo's shit has been about the only console's I'll buy going forward if they show no signs of coming to PC. I'd probably pick up a "current" gen console if it was super cheap, but other than that, there's not great reasons to own either PS5 and especially the Series X.
Nintendo has great games, but I'll be damned if I'll buy another of their outdated to death hardware. Their consoles are not for me, I learned that the hard way. Untill they'll release up to date (at the time of release and in comparison to Sony and MS stuff) home only console like they did with Game Cube, I don't care.

Last edited:

Holammer

Grabbed a few semi-random games from my wishlist, might get a few more later.
One of the more interesting is Caverns of Dreams, an old school style 3d platformer with a PS1/PS2 era style aesthetic rocking a 97% Steam user review average.
Dark Witch 2's been on my wishlist for yonks.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They were, and not just for C&C.
In fact EA killed them precisely by turning the entire studio (that up to that point was known precisely for the astonishing variety and quality of their lineup) in an assembly line of tired C&C pseudo-sequels.

Perfectly playable on PC right now, hilariously enough.
Nintendo may have killed Yuzu, but it didn't nuke its existence out of the internet.
Even if you play the Switch version on PC, the PS5 is going to have the higher quality assets as indicated by the more than double file size.

simpatico

Fantastic old school side scrolling action rpg with an enjoyable gameplay loop. Lots of gear that you're encouraged to use because mastering gear (just wearing it while you kill enemies) gives you skills and such. You can only equip so many skills but as you grow stronger you can equip more and more. Skills range from mundane stuff like showing enemy stats, to double jumps, faster weapon swings, and much more. It really captures that feeling of going from lowly adventurer beating up slimes to god slaying badass. The story is good and enjoyable with some nice twists but there's also several instances of "oh, you want to know why ___? it just is, don't worry about it, moving on". Which I actually found funny. The DLC came out very recently which adds a roguelite dungeon crawl and it also adds to the story and sets it up for the next DLC.

It's also LONG. I did a single clear of the main story and the DLC story (doing nearly everything possible) and my playtime is at 83.6 hours. Well worth the price.
Where the fuck has this game been all my life? Tried the demo and insta bought. You guys who owned this since launch DID NOT DO ENOUGH TO RAISE AWARENESS (thx for posting ;)

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Picked up some expansions for Call to Arms - Gates of Hell: Ostfront. Game is insanely tough but super detailed with outstanding physics and thundering audio. All kinds of tanks/vehicles to command, even planes. I recommend opting in for the newer "open beta" build, which has optimization.

Last edited:
Picked up some expansions for Call to Arms - Gates of Hell: Ostfront. Game is insanely tough but super detailed with outstanding physics and thundering audio. All kinds of tanks/vehicles to command, even planes. I recommend opting in for the newer "open beta" build, which has optimization.

I actually just put this on my wishlist not too long ago. It looks very cool, but I'm still not 100% sold on it. The few videos I watched seemed like it was a very involved game. You can take control and play it like a 3rd person game too yeah?

ArtHands

There're dollar bundles on Fanatical for the retro games.

Most of them are not noteworthy except these 2

Call of Juarez & Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Double Pack​

Oddworld Classic Complete 'n' Tasty Pack​

Oddworld New n Tasty (w/Scrub Abe Costume DLC & Alf's Escape DLC)
Munch Oddysee
Abe's Oddysee
Abe's Exoddus
Stranger's Wrath HD

Södy

What mods are you checking out? I've been watching a few videos on campaign mods, but I'm not sure which ones to really dig into. I'd love to play a co-op modded campaign playthrough of a Halo: CE and Halo 3.
Halo 3: Combat Evolved looks great. All the rebalance mods look cool too to change up the campaigns. Also tge Reach covenant mod is a "must play" for me but I read you have to downgrade the MCC version for this.

Games that didn't perform very well when they were new probably go down in price faster.

And then ofcourse you have somewhat obscure Japanese games that never go on a good sale.

Since I'm really enjoying Atelier Ryza right now, the season pass looked like a good investment... Including especially Ryza's summer outfit. :messenger_smirking:

PSA: If you haven't bought the C&C games yet, FUCKING DO IT (you can get them in a bundle):

Bonus: I really like C&C Renegade:

RIP Westwood Studios, you were the GOATS:
large1497456866westwood.jpg
Yeah I bought the Ultimate Collection last week, it's not even part of the Spring Sale. Less than 10 bucks for it is a steal, and worth it (imho) for Generals and ZH alone.
(also, user avatar checks out :messenger_winking:)

Top Bottom