• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Spring Sale is live

kiphalfton

It’ll be the later. There’s no incentive to make them better.

Consoles have the incentive to try to make people move to digital but that hasn’t affected steam sales at all in any positive way. Steam sales have gotten progressively worse over the years.

Yeah, like somebody up above said sekiro is $30. That's been the going rate "on sale" for the past however many sales.

I try to draw a hard line in the sand at $10, for PC games, but that means being limited to humble bundles (which those mostly suck now too).

Only one trying is Epic, but even then it's not as good as it was earlier on.

Sad when I last time FFVII Remake Intergrade was on sale on the PS Store it was $15. Meanwhile it's currently "on sale" for $35 on steam.

The script has been flipped, and across the board PC games are no longer cheaper, compared to console digital sales.

And only reason I care at all, is because I can change the settings on PC games beyond performance/quality mode. But fuck paying a 100% (or higher) premium over console.

Last edited:

GHG

Just grabbed EA Wrc in the pack with Dirt Rally 2 for £12 (I already own DR2, hence the sizable discount).

MikeM

Since im leaving the console world im looking hard at Diablo 4. Yeah its not great but I still like to jump in and okay every so often. Otherwise, my backlog is far too large to justify more purchases.

Yeah, like somebody up above said sekiro is $30. That's been the going rate "on sale" for the past however many sales.

I try to draw a hard line in the sand at $10, for PC games, but that means being limited to humble bundles (which those mostly suck now too).

Only one trying is Epic, but even then it's not as good as it was earlier on.

Sad when I last time FFVII Remake Intergrade was on sale on the PS Store it was $15. Meanwhile it's currently "on sale" for $35 on steam.

The script has been flipped, and across the board PC games are no longer cheaper, compared to console digital sales.

And only reason I care at all, is because I can change the settings on PC games beyond performance/quality mode. But fuck paying a 100% (or higher) premium over console.
Yeah, for sure.

Epic only does big sales because they have incentive. They want more users to move from steam and want to be the “good guys”.

Denton

Sekiro is 30 because Activision. They rarely do deep discounts. Even their 20 year old CoD games are still expensive.

I highly doubt console digital games are "across the board" cheaper, considering on consoles you have precisely one store to choose from, whereas on PC you have many more, both authorized and resellers.

Picking FF7R as a cherrypicked example does not really work, considering the game only came to PC much later than on PS5 AND was an exclusive to Epic for however long to boot. Still, its historical low is 26 euros, which is not that far from the fabled 15 on PS store.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Grabbed Nier Automata. I was looking for an excuse to replay it and it was cheaper than I've ever found it on CD keys. Surprisingly, it also seems to work quite well despite hearing it was a bad port.

Pejo

I'm in the middle of building a brand new PC, so this is fortuitous timing. Unfortunately DD2 comes out next week so if I do buy anything now it's likely going directly to the backlog.

Any GAF thoughts about any of these lesser known titles? They've been on my wishlist for a while and have decent discounts this time. I'm interested if any of you guys have played any of them:

SRPG
SRPG (I think a remaster of a PSP or Vita game originally)
Atmospheric puzzle platformer
Seems like a 2.5D Zelda-like
This came out when S-E was doing all of their "throw all types of shit at a wall and see what sticks" approach a few years ago. Looks like action RPG if I had to guess.
Looks like a FPS bow game set in a world that looks inspired by Fable aesthetics.

amigastar

I would buy Star Wars Jedi Survivor for 12 bucks but not for 32. But i've bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Last edited:

GHG

PC gaming was ruined by retiring flash sales and wannabe youtubers throwing dumb money toward GPUs during the crypto craze. I bought digital games on Steam because they were dirt cheap. I'm not paying $20 for a digital license to a 5 year old game.

What are you talking about?

The "flash sales" still happen, you just need to shop around now:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This came out when S-E was doing all of their "throw all types of shit at a wall and see what sticks" approach a few years ago. Looks like action RPG if I had to guess.
I really enjoyed this game, but it's pretty bare-bones overall. As long as you don't expect a masterpiece, I think it's worthwhile. Easy for me to recommend for $15 - that's about the price it should have launched at I think (maybe $20). Some interesting weapon / skill combos, and it does some kind of neat things, but the story is pretty... flat? It definitely felt like Tokyo RPG Factory's answer to Secret of Mana, so if you like those games you'll probably like this one too.

darrylgorn

IlI4CjF.jpg

Bundle bonus!

My Work Is Done Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

For anyone planning on snagging the Judgement collection from Steam, please don't! Get it from gamebillet instead as it's currently at an a new all time low price of €33.84.

Last edited:

Pejo

I really enjoyed this game, but it's pretty bare-bones overall. As long as you don't expect a masterpiece, I think it's worthwhile. Easy for me to recommend for $15 - that's about the price it should have launched at I think (maybe $20). Some interesting weapon / skill combos, and it does some kind of neat things, but the story is pretty... flat? It definitely felt like Tokyo RPG Factory's answer to Secret of Mana, so if you like those games you'll probably like this one too.
The gameplay videos I saw showed quite a selection of weapon types with distinct movesets. Is that consistent in the game or did they just show literally everything in the trailer? I saw spears, axes, swords, (I think?) poorly rendered and animated guns.

Thinking of grabbing Halo:MCC and Deep Rock Galactic. Anyone have a good experience with the multiplayer in both of those on Steam Deck?

Paasei

The sales on games from my wishlist are still disappointing. Going to take years at this rate to get actual discounts that are worth it.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I recently wanted to play some adventure games on Steam Deck so this is good timing. I grabbed Saint Kotar, Irony Curtain, Gibbous, The Longest Journey and Talos Principle 1+2

Quasicat

I want to get the Mass Effect Legendary edition but I heard is locked under EA or something
It is locked behind the EA Play app, which isn’t too bad if I didn’t need to log in each time. You will also need to select which game you would like to play before connecting it to the TV since the main menu requires the touch screen. Once you get into the games though, they run really well on the Steam Deck.

I’m assuming you want to play on Steam Deck. If you are on a desktop, this probably isn’t a deal breaker for you.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some other titles that I am interested in:

UPPERS. from what I gathered this is an action brawler originally released for Vita. Interested but doesn't have the motivation to pull the trigger

Party Animals. Looks to be a family friendly multiplayer games when you're bored of the standard bomberman or mario kart and want something different.

Eastward looks to have some clean and fun aesthetic and is in my wishlist but I haven't buy it

Looks to be a fairly generic but good looking game, and has good reviews.

Seems interesting but I am still deciding whether to buy this since it is very cheap right now.

Has overwhelming positive reviews but it is still early access.

Shame to say I haven't yet buy this game. I am too many other games to play in the past years

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There are good deals there but I can't justify buying anything with Dragon's Dogma 2 dropping next week. That's going to eat up all my time.
Odd that there don't seem to be any hands-on previews. Maybe I missed them but I figured there would be a bunch out there. Has me a bit worried.....but I still have it coming next Friday from Amazon.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I generally won't buy AAA games for my Steam Deck.
1. Even with discounts, still too expensive
2. Takes up a big chunk of storage space
3. Generally runs fine....but not as good as a top end PC or consoles.

I focus buying mainly PC only indie games, or ones that are in early access.

TheStam

I will try hard to resist this sale completely. I used to not buy so much during sales then I went a bit wild after getting a new Steam Deck the last two sales and have more than enough in my backlog. Saving the money for Dragon's Dogma 2 + Shadow of the Erdtree.

Top Bottom